1,707 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2019 at 9:07 PM, KLgirl said:

@QN&CD Update:

I went to the DMV at Redwood City on Monday and spent about 90 mins there. I got extended for 6 months as per the i797C showing my renewal application of i765.

All he wanted from me was my DL, EAD and the i797C for renewing i765. He did not even need my SSN card nor show my proof of California Residency. The guy that helped me told me he works at Santa Clara DMV and that he was just helping out at the Redwood City. 

It looks like they might extend only 6 months for me too. So if we get the green cards , we need to come back to dmv for renewal again. haizzzz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
On 8/17/2019 at 12:28 AM, QN&CD said:

Hi, thanks for sharing. I found the information and I think I do not need to get the new medical exam since i got the exam after I submitted the aos packet about 3 weeks. 

Which location you are interviewing ? I assume I would be interviewed in SF, but they sent me to San Jose office. 

You are most welcome. My interview location is in SF. 

Hi! We're putting the finishing touches on our AOS file for the interview on Wednesday (!!), and I've got a few Qs:

- I'm working on an updated I-864 just in case. Should I fill out the 864 or 864EZ? If the answer is 864, then...

- My wife started working recently, and wants to be added as person 1 in Part 6, as she wants to make it clear to the interviewer that she's now working and contributing to our household. Is that necessary for her to do, since I already qualify? If the answer is yes, what do we put for Current Income on Form 864-A? UPDATE: Answered my own question here: 

- Unrelated to the above, I can't find the original NVC acceptance letter for the I-129F - should I be concerned?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! 

Edited by Jake H

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 8/8/2019 at 10:53 AM, SonK said:

You're right. After calling USCIS Level 1 many times and having been asked to wait 30 days and told that the address was correctly maintained in the system, I decided to call USCIS and this time talked to Level 2 officer yesterday morning, and the officer said it was mailed out on July 18th! (!!) but I still haven't received it, and that she was requesting to have it resent by mail. I asked her why that happened - she said she had no idea though the address is maintained correctly to my current one. 

Then yesterday evening, I received an email from USCIS containing the attachment of the Interview Notice Letter with a watermark COPY. Guess what... the address printed on that copy is the old address that I already filed an address change since September 2018. **sigh**

This morning, I called USCIS and talked to another Level 2 officer again - the officer said I could print that attachment out to bring to the interview which is on August 19th, 2019. Then I asked him why the old address was printed on that interview notice and if that would cause a trouble. He said there are two USCIS systems, and that doesn't matter, just print it out (???). **sigh 2nd time**

Nevertheless, at least now I can attend the Interview, I'll verify the address again with the Interviewing Officer to make sure they will mail the green card to the right address. Hopefully there won't be any extra 'surprise'. It's hard to believe technical things like this can happen in America especially in the year-long mature government system... but it does!

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update.

The re-sent Interview Notice Letter never arrived physically as the Level 2 officer had requested. So we printed the COPY one sent by email and brought it to the interview on 8/19/19.

We waited for 2 hours for a 5-min interview due to the interview case before us. The interviewer was quite friendly, and candid. We submitted three photos as asked (though we carried a big album along with us), some joint bank statements, and answered a few questions. We also verified the mailing address with the officer.

We received the Notice of Interview Results hand delivered at the interview with the first checkbox ticked i.e. Reason for Continuance - Your case is being held for review [...] although the interviewing officer had said she was approving it. Searched on Google and the first checkbox being ticked was actually quite common after most I-485 interviews. 

Early morning 8/20/19 (one day after the interview day), I received the SMS & email updating that our case status has changed to "New Card Is Being Produced". Mixed feelings now. Really can't wait to receive the physical card. Not until then will I feel relieved from this waiting game. Will keep you guys posted.

02/23/2018 Immigrated to NYC (K1)

03/30/2018 Got married

04/20/2018 AOS package sent I-485 I-131 I-765

04/27/2018 AOS package received (shown on NOA1) - Receipt Date - Day 1

05/01/2018 NOA1 received - Day 4

05/04/2018 NOA2 received (for biometrics appointment) - Day 7

05/24/2018 Biometrics appointment, Brooklyn, NY - Day 27

07/17/2018 Case update: "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" I-485 - Day 81

08/31/2018 Address change request successfully submitted online - Day 126 

09/10/2018 EAD & AP approval notice - Day 136 

09/14/2018 EAD & AP card picked up, 1st SMS notification from USCIS - Day 140 

09/18/2018 EAD & AP card, and SSN received - Day 144

07/13/2019 Status changed to “Interview Was Scheduled” (SMS/email) - Day 442

08/07/2019 Called Level 2 USCIS officer, and received the COPY of the Interview Notice with my old address on it by email - Day 467

08/19/2019 I-485 Interview - Day 479

08/20/2019 "New Card Is Being Produced" (SMS/email) - Day 480

08/23/2019 Received Green Card Approval Notice I-797 via USPS regular mail, and Conditional Green Card by USPS Priority Mail - Day 483 - END OF I-485 JOURNEY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Finally got my Permanent Resident card today! The officer that interviewed us in May said that USCIS had a mistake of assigning two alien numbers to me so they told me that the processing after our interview would be extended to 6-8 weeks. After 8 weeks, we did not hear from them. Come 10 weeks, I submitted a case inquiry but still did not hear from them 3 weeks after that. I was worried because I might be suspended from work. They were asking me to update my I-9 since my EAD is gonna expire on Sept 12. Finally, they sent me a notification on August 17 and it was on mail today! So happy to be almost done with this. The next paper to process (Lifting of Conditions) is gonna be more than a year from now. 

Now I also have to go to DPS so that they can extend the expiry of my driver's license. And also the SSN!

Timeline

Hi guys! Today marks the end of our I-485 Journey with USCIS.

Received the Green Card Approval Notice I-797 via USPS regular mail, and the 2-year Conditional Green Card by USPS Priority Mail.

We will start our I-751 Journey to remove the conditions on 19 May 2021 (90 days before the Conditional Green Card expires).

Goodbye USCIS for more than a year, and super excited to plan our overseas trips for now. 😇

Summary of our I-485 Journey is in the signature below (if you're reading this thread on a laptop browser). Cheers!!

03/30/2018 Got married

07/17/2018 Case update: "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" I-485 - Day 81

08/07/2019 Called Level 2 USCIS officer, and received the COPY of the Interview Notice with my old address on it by email - Day 467

08/23/2019 Received Green Card Approval Notice I-797 via USPS regular mail, and Conditional Green Card by USPS Priority Mail - Day 483 - END OF I-485 JOURNEY

On 8/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, SonK said:

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update.

The re-sent Interview Notice Letter never arrived physically as the Level 2 officer had requested. So we printed the COPY one sent by email and brought it to the interview on 8/19/19.

We waited for 2 hours for a 5-min interview due to the interview case before us. The interviewer was quite friendly, and candid. We submitted three photos as asked (though we carried a big album along with us), some joint bank statements, and answered a few questions. We also verified the mailing address with the officer.

We received the Notice of Interview Results hand delivered at the interview with the first checkbox ticked i.e. Reason for Continuance - Your case is being held for review [...] although the interviewing officer had said she was approving it. Searched on Google and the first checkbox being ticked was actually quite common after most I-485 interviews. 

Early morning 8/20/19 (one day after the interview day), I received the SMS & email updating that our case status has changed to "New Card Is Being Produced". Mixed feelings now. Really can't wait to receive the physical card. Not until then will I feel relieved from this waiting game. Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for sharing all of that!
I am currently going through the same thing.
Only difference is that the USCIS officer told me to call again 5 days before the interview (in case I haven't received the notice until then). They will then fax it..
I also submitted an e-request

We went to the interview yesterday...all good! Our location was Sacramento.

We arrived about 30 mins before, as we were supposed to. We probably waited about 20-30 mins after our scheduled interview time. Once we were called in, it went incredibly fast. I'd say we were in and out in about 10 minutes. Despite being way over-prepared (worth it for the peace of mind. though), we really didn't need much of what we brought. The interviewer went through the case, asked a few of the YES/NO questions as he flipped through the pages, and then asked my wife about whether she was working (yes), and where that is. To my surprise, no questions were directed towards me. He did collect the evidence we brought that shows our address together - we gave him whatever we brought. He offered to make copies but we had already come prepared with those, which sped things up. Lastly, He said "Let's just say I looked at your photos and they were amazing," and then said we were approved pending a background check. Didn't get the news until this morning, but approved and a new card is on the way...once we get that, we'll feel a lot better and will head to the DMV to get that expired license up and running again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 8/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, Wouter Erwee said:

Anyone on this thread in the Seattle area?  Just wanting to see in anyone has had any updates?  I received a weird update on my case a while ago?

1264598743_ScreenShot2019-08-01at12_49_34PM.thumb.png.c84506c7c74c1b17859aac693a603851.png

It's a system error. However, your interview is around the corner if you've been in the process for about 8 months without any RFEs, and you are filing from California, for example. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 8/4/2019 at 1:30 AM, QN&CD said:

Hi guys, quick question about medical exam. If someone already completed the interview, please advise.

I applied i485 along with medical exam in April 2018, my interview date is September 2019 (more than 1 year since applying). I am converting from F1 visa. Location: San Francisco

Do I need to make a new medical exam and bring it to the green card interview? 

Many thanks.

I don't think you need to. They have accepted that their process is slow and putting the burden on the applicants is unfair. Last I checked, they had amended the medicals to be good for 2 years, so you're okay. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

SF resident here - Finally received my AOS interview notice for the 19 September! I originally entered the US on a K1 visa.

A couple of questions:

-My interview notice was sent to my old address in SF (luckily I still have access and was able to receive this letter). I had already updated my address earlier this year and had this confirmed by a level 1 agent when I called. Obviously, this didn't update properly through all the USCIS systems.... sigh..
Assuming I am granted my conditional green card, what is the best way to ensure this will be sent to my new address? Should this be done on the day of the interview? Has anyone else experienced this before?

-my medical was completed in April 2018. Is this still valid ? I want to confirm that the validity period is 2 years.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Peter Davis said:

Hi all,

SF resident here - Finally received my AOS interview notice for the 19 September! I originally entered the US on a K1 visa.

A couple of questions:

-My interview notice was sent to my old address in SF (luckily I still have access and was able to receive this letter). I had already updated my address earlier this year and had this confirmed by a level 1 agent when I called. Obviously, this didn't update properly through all the USCIS systems.... sigh..
Assuming I am granted my conditional green card, what is the best way to ensure this will be sent to my new address? Should this be done on the day of the interview? Has anyone else experienced this before?

-my medical was completed in April 2018. Is this still valid ? I want to confirm that the validity period is 2 years.

Thank you!

I would guess it'd be best to call and let them know it didn't work, or bring it up at the end of the interview if possible. 

The medical exam Q has been asked a few times, and I see different answers from different people. We opted to get a new one just in case - peace of mind - and the interviewer didn't even ask for it. We went somewhere in Oakland, and it was $285. Happy to ask my wife for the link if you want it!

Timeline
16 hours ago, Peter Davis said:

Hi all,

A couple of questions:

Thank you!

-You can verify the address with the interviewing officer. In my case, the interview notice never arrived in my mailbox but my approval notice and GC once I verified with the IO. (I had called USCIS Level 2 officer, and they sent me the interview notice copy by email to print out and bring to the interview.)

-AOS from K1, no need to retake the medical exam, as you already submitted yours (the one you had in your home country) at the US border. Bring your vaccination record (that the US customs officer gave back to you after opening the sealed package). Print out the instructions for Form I-693, bring it to the interview, and show page 7-8 to the IO just in case. 

Edited by SonK

03/30/2018 Got married

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi All,

I finally got my interview here in Seattle.  

On the list of documents it asked for the I-692 Completed Medical Exam in a Sealed Envelope.  However when I arrive here in the US, the Border Patrol agent at LAX opened this envelope and removed some stuff.  Me being nervous did not think anything of this.  However now checking my Medical Envelope the only item in there that is left is my XRAY info and Vaccination card/report.

Should I be worried?

It does say in the description (Unless Already Submitted)

Thoughts?

Any other tips on preparing for my AOS interview...

Thanks

Hi guys, please advise if you in similar situation. I am converting from F1 to green card holder through AOS in San Francisco.

I got AOS interview about 2 weeks ago. The interview went well, but the interviewer said she cannot do anything other than interviewing, since my i130 is still pending. I was surprised, since I believe that we would approve both of them at the same time. Until now I still have no updates about neither of these forms.

1. Please share your experience if you went to the AOS interview and your i130 was pending. 

2. Anyone here got the renewal EAD card ? I applied since March 2019 and still did not get the renewal card. 

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.