Irene_sss

2018 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE

764 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, mohitindelhi said:

Hi SoniaL

In my case too they updated the status as documents received on 15 Aug. But my attorney received a request further evidence (RFE)

so isubmitted the phd degree evaluation report.

So far no update after that.

Was your case an RFE too

please update when you get any approval ,

I see. No, not at all. I am also not represented by an attorney in this case. Not sure if that makes a difference. My case is - I am a J1 trainee for a private employer, and I received no funding from no government.

Hello all,

I just got a response to my email from DOS and I do not understand it. Uploading a screenshot of my case status as well, hoping someone can help me shed light. 

On June 29 - they sent me a letter that asked why I had Denmark as my COR (country of residence) but applied with a NOS on Romania (my home country). I used to have permanent residence before I left Denmark in 2016, so that was still valid when I got my J1.  When applied for the DOS, I chose my home country. They asked for a correction on the DS-2019 by my sponsor to COR Romania, they corrected it and I re-sent it.

They are now saying that "According to the Waiver Review System (WRS) we are waiting for documents to prove or an explanation of your legal place of residence.  As soon as we receive this information we will proceed processing your application." - What does this mean? I do not understand if they're contacting a different party of if they're referring to the DS-2019 that I already sent them and they also marked it as 'Received'. What kind of explanation are they referring to? I did exactly as mentioned on the letter they sent to me. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 09.59.31.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.00.47.png

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, SoniaL said:

Hello all,

I just got a response to my email from DOS and I do not understand it. Uploading a screenshot of my case status as well, hoping someone can help me shed light. 

On June 29 - they sent me a letter that asked why I had Denmark as my COR (country of residence) but applied with a NOS on Romania (my home country). I used to have permanent residence before I left Denmark in 2016, so that was still valid when I got my J1.  When applied for the DOS, I chose my home country. They asked for a correction on the DS-2019 by my sponsor to COR Romania, they corrected it and I re-sent it.

They are now saying that "According to the Waiver Review System (WRS) we are waiting for documents to prove or an explanation of your legal place of residence.  As soon as we receive this information we will proceed processing your application." - What does this mean? I do not understand if they're contacting a different party of if they're referring to the DS-2019 that I already sent them and they also marked it as 'Received'. What kind of explanation are they referring to? I did exactly as mentioned on the letter they sent to me. 

It my be worth in your case to discuss this with an attorney - i.e. do you also need nos from country of birth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
7 hours ago, SoniaL said:

Hello all,

I‘m absolutely no expert in this case (and I agree with fs2439 that asking a lawyer is a good idea) but a colleague of me who is originally from UK but her last place of residence was France was told by our international services department that she either needs to spend the 2 years home requirement in France or needs a NOS from France although she is UK citizen, because the last country of residence counts for the J1 waiver. 

Maybe you can call DoS???

34 minutes ago, Gonzala said:

I‘m absolutely no expert in this case (and I agree with fs2439 that asking a lawyer is a good idea) but a colleague of me who is originally from UK but her last place of residence was France was told by our international services department that she either needs to spend the 2 years home requirement in France or needs a NOS from France although she is UK citizen, because the last country of residence counts for the J1 waiver. 

Maybe you can call DoS???

Thank you for this. I know - the law itself is confusing, but I was actually residing in Switzerland termporarily (for 6 months) at the time that I applied for the J1 waiver. I would love to call and clarify but there's no phone number anywhere!! Does anyone know any other means to get in touch with them other than the email?? Thanks, all!

54 minutes ago, fs2439 said:

It my be worth in your case to discuss this with an attorney - i.e. do you also need nos from country of birth

I am using my country of birth for the NOS. You're saying i might need one from Denmark too, right? (COR at that time)

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SoniaL said:

Thank you for this. I know - the law itself is confusing, but I was actually residing in Switzerland termporarily (for 6 months) at the time that I applied for the J1 waiver. I would love to call and clarify but there's no phone number anywhere!! Does anyone know any other means to get in touch with them other than the email?? Thanks, all!

I am using my country of birth for the NOS. You're saying i might need one from Denmark too, right? (COR at that time)

Yeah. Sorry, I was replying aboard public transportation. I've seen someone's timeline that contained two nos - one from country of birth and one from country of residency. Mine was 212e due to money from a state government in my country of residency, so it was clear I needed the nos from my country of residency. Also, international scholars office at my university helped me figure that out.

Honestly, it would probably be less of a headache to discuss with a lawyer than try to get information from a person answering the phone or email at dos. They give out very limited info. But maybe that's just my experience

Edited by fs2439

9 minutes ago, fs2439 said:

Yeah. Sorry, I was replying aboard public transportation. I've seen someone's timeline that contained two nos - one from country of birth and one from country of residency. Mine was 212e due to money from a state government in my country of residency, so it was clear I needed the nos from my country of residency. Also, international scholars office at my university helped me figure that out.

Honestly, it would probably be less of a headache to discuss with a lawyer than try to get information from a person answering the phone or email at dos. They give out very limited info. But maybe that's just my experience

Thanks for this. You might be right that I need DOS from two countries. Do you know where they can be reached by phone?

6 hours ago, zhengyizju said:

Here is my timeline, it has been 10 weeks since NOL received!! I have emailed multiple times, and senator office also inquired once, nothing happened! Anyone in the same boat, what can I do? The waiting is killing me!!!

image.thumb.png.6ac6e0c660e94f446f6d009e4a361d0a.png   

We are all pretty much on the same boat. Mine has been 9 weeks. I developed a theory ahaha...

Most of people who had their waiver approved fast was because they submitted the fee all the paper work (except for the NOS), and then went to get the NOS. In your case, and mine, I did all the NOS and then proceed to pay the fee and send the rest the documentation. Even though they say that the time only counts after the NOS arrives, I dont think that the position in their line is by NOS arrival order, but instead by fee arrival order.

Anyway, I digress. Nothing to do but wait.

4 hours ago, CabacoPhD said:

We are all pretty much on the same boat. Mine has been 9 weeks. I developed a theory ahaha...

Most of people who had their waiver approved fast was because they submitted the fee all the paper work (except for the NOS), and then went to get the NOS. In your case, and mine, I did all the NOS and then proceed to pay the fee and send the rest the documentation. Even though they say that the time only counts after the NOS arrives, I dont think that the position in their line is by NOS arrival order, but instead by fee arrival order.

Anyway, I digress. Nothing to do but wait.

Hope your theory is true. Can you let me know if you hear something back? I will post my timeline, too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everybody.

After checking the platform for the 122346° time, I finally got the favorable recommendation! Below my actual timeline as per the website. Hope my 2 cents contribution helps. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Timeline.jpg

3 hours ago, Moraesm said:

Hey everybody.

After checking the platform for the 122346° time, I finally got the favorable recommendation! Below my actual timeline as per the website. Hope my 2 cents contribution helps. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Timeline.jpg

Congrats. Thanks a lot. After seeing your timeline, I feel a little better.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Moraesm said:

Hey everybody.

Timeline.jpg

congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.