3,014 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
23 hours ago, sandranj said:

She needs to give her name,address,date and place of birth and she must notarize the letter.USCIS can call the affiant to verify the story told in the affidavit,  they don't call all affiants,but I had several cases that they called them.

Hey @sandranj ,

she does not have any ID due to her immigration status. Is there a way to get it notarized without an ID? 

What if she is unable to get it notarized? Will they not count it as evidence? 

Thanks for your reply! 

7 minutes ago, MariFD said:

Hey @sandranj ,

she does not have any ID due to her immigration status. Is there a way to get it notarized without an ID? 

Thanks for your reply! 

She can show her passport as ID. She can obtain a passport from her country at the embassy without a problem, immigration status doesn’t matter. 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 hours ago, TexasVAWA said:

I am now writing down my self statement and also trying to gather the important documents  for my VAWA case. I have few questions popped up on my head. I and my spouse  both have different religion. We have lived together for 7 months and then we got married. Only our friends, my wife'e sister  and the minister witnessed the marriage. My brother, mom and my wife's dad know about our marriage. We have lots of pictures and proof which indicate that we lived together and we have bonafide marriage with good faith. There some evidences of emotional and physical torture such as my broken tooth,  rude behavior and slang  when she takes drugs, bruise on my body when she threw utensils at me and threaten me  when I do not give her money .We applied for adjustment of status which is approved and on progress for the first interview. I told her to divorce me and make me free from this situation. My wife  does not want to divorce me. I don't know what is the reason for that. I cannot depend on my wife for the interview because she is on some drug issues. My wife has a warrant because of drugs and misdemeanor. On the other hand, my background is clean and I am a research assistant in some university. It's becoming so stressful to do everything in a very short time. I wish to get my lawyer who will help me to process my filing . But, I cannot afford to pay more than 2k in this situation. 

However, we don't follow any religion.   Is there any red flag because of our religious issues or the absence of our parents on the marriage ceremony?  or anybody has any suggestion for me ? 

Thanks in advance. 

The religion won't be a problem for a VAWA case,get affidavits from your mom and brother, if they don;t speak english they can write down in their native language the affidavit and someone should translate,not you.

Don't forget to get a police clearance from all places that you lived in the past 3 years.Get some proof that your tooth was broken due to the abuse.

Timeline
11 hours ago, monoxidelullaby said:

Hello everyone. 

I am new to this forum and I would like to share my current situation with you and hopefully hear some positive feedback on my case. 

I came to US on B1 visa in 2015, in 2016 I met my husband and we started dating through whole year until he proposed me in October 2016 and we got married in May 2017 (we are same sex couple). We filed our AoS packet in June 2017 and we are still waiting for the interview notice to appear. 

But, in January this year (2018) things started to change for a bit. My husband started to act differently, he was never at home and whenever he would come back he would act strange. I always thought that he is going through something and I just felt helpless because whenever I tried to talk about it he would just tell me shut up and to leave him alone. That was the first sign of what was about to happen - shortly afterwards he started cheating on me and started to threat me like I was worthless and like he was in the control of everything. I was there to be silent and to be told not to say my opinion. We started to fight alot about everything, to the point that he would start abusing me verbaly and sometimes physically (he once hit me in the head and got my tooth knocked out, one time he cut me with knife). I felt so scared and devastated, I never called the police because I always thought it’s just a phase, it will pass. I was too scared of everything.  I admit I was stupid enough to stay in that place with him, but I was always hoping for thay ray of light to come up. It never did. 

Back in the day he would get high and I never had problem with that. But lately he is abusing that to the point that he spends all of the money for marijuana and alcohol. Everynight he gets high or comes home drunk and starts arguing whenever I try to say something. He brings random people home and they all make noise and smoke and drink until 4am.  One time he got drunk and told me that he will never go to the interview, because he feels like I don’t deserve it. One day he will feel one thing, the next day different. I had several mental breakdowns in the past few months, I was losing my focus, I couldn’t do my job properly and my state affected  my physical and mental health. I have stomach pain for the past 3 months, my doctor and psychologist told me it’s because of some kind of trauma or stress. I am having panic attacks almost every night to the point that I can only sleep 3 hours a night. 

Last month we were looking to find new home and move out because I thought that will change our situation if we move out. We found this beautiful apartment and we got approved for it. But that same night when we got back home he went out for few hours and came back under marijuana usage and told me he is not moving out, because he wants to be in control of everything and that he wants to bring home whoever he wants. And few moments after that he kicked me out of the apartmant and slammed the door. Thank universe I had my wallet with me and took a cab to my friends place where I am staying at even right now. 

The next day I went to the real estate office to sign the lease, but my husband never signed it because he wasn’t present and we are supposed to be moving in August 1st. I told him about that and I received messages that I am the last person he wants to see and that he doesn’t care about anything. We have phone bill under our names, it’s a contract, and he said he will cut out my phone. 

I have to say that he was in jail in the past, maybe 4 years ago, because he was in a relationship with some guy and he called the police on him for destroying his property and he spent 2 days in jail because of that. I do not know if that is the main reason he was in jail, at this point I am questioning everything. 

I am so sorry for such a long post, but I really live in constant fear at the moment and I cannot help myself. I wanted to pack my bags and go back to my country at some point, I was losing my mind. I live in a fear in the country that’s supposed to be the land of the free. What did I ever do to deserve something like this? All I did was for love and all that I got was hatred. 

My question is - we have a pending I-130 and I-485 cases, we are waiting for an interview letter to arrive any time now. What would be the best option for me and my future? 

Thank you so so much everyone, I would honestly appreciate any piece of advise. 

If he withdraws the  form I-824 USCIS will deny your case and then just refile again with I-360, but just if USCIS denies ok.

Best thing to do is continue attending therapy, file for VAWA and move on.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, MariFD said:

Hey @sandranj ,

Thanks for your reply! 

She can use her passaport. There are hundreds of decisions of the Board of Immigration Appeal stating that affidavits not notarized should not be considered.

On 7/23/2018 at 5:43 AM, sandranj said:

Uscis knows about homophobia but it’s your job to explain to USCIS why your parents doesn’t know about the marriage.

Ask your siblings to write in their afffiavits why your parents don’t know about the marriage.

Thank you so much for your reply Sandra.

17 minutes ago, God Bless said:

Received biometrics appointment for I-485, while I am preparing RFE for my I-360 and EAD extension hasn’t arrived after 6 months of submitting. It is normal to receive I-485 biometrics so early?? I’m so confused. Please help! 

You typically don’t get a separate biometrics appointment for I-485 as far as I know. This is probably for the I-765 under category C9 that you filed for if your last biometrics appointment was more than 15 months ago. 

Ok this is a question I have always been hesitant to ask... But would advice you guys give me... If my ex, is still harassing me and giving me threats.... Like he always says he is going to come after me and beat me if I don't come back with him... I'm not divorce yet... But reasons why I haven't block him completely is because I'm afraid he is going to show to my mom's house and I dont want any shows.... He doesn't understand I don't want to have any contact with him anymore.... I'm really scare to what he is going to do... And i'm afraid if I block him, he would show at my house.... Im really worried and afraid with this situation.

Edited by Valerie899
add more

@sandranj can you please tell me your expert opinion on this : 

Received biometrics appointment for I-485, while I am preparing RFE for my I-360 and EAD extension hasn’t arrived after 6 months of submitting. It is normal to receive I-485 biometrics so early?? I’m so confused. Please help! 

Edited by God Bless

8 hours ago, sandranj said:

The religion won't be a problem for a VAWA case,get affidavits from your mom and brother, if they don;t speak english they can write down in their native language the affidavit and someone should translate,not you.

Don't forget to get a police clearance from all places that you lived in the past 3 years.Get some proof that your tooth was broken due to the abuse.

Thanks for the helpful information. I really appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, Valerie899 said:

Ok this is a question I have always been hesitant to ask... But would advice you guys give me... If my ex, is still harassing me and giving me threats.... Like he always says he is going to come after me and beat me if I don't come back with him... I'm not divorce yet... But reasons why I haven't block him completely is because I'm afraid he is going to show to my mom's house and I dont want any shows.... He doesn't understand I don't want to have any contact with him anymore.... I'm really scare to what he is going to do... And i'm afraid if I block him, he would show at my house.... Im really worried and afraid with this situation.

Get a restraining order and block him after that. If he shows up after that, he is violating the restraining order and will go to jail. 

Timeline

I got an update today!!! "New Card is Being Produced"!!! I am so happy! One step closer!

1/24/2017 They received my I130

4/30/2018- RFE for Good Moral

No Prima facie

7/10/2018- Biometrics Appt.

7/25/2018- New card is being produced!!!

Keep hope!!

Timeline
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Shallovercome32 said:

Hey again guys 

I just got update on my case status  that it has been approved.. I received the EAD card C31 yesterday and now the status change to case has been approved as of July 5.. Thank be to God... 

My timeline 

Dec 22, 2016... USCIS received case filed I-360,I485,I765

Jan 28, 2017 .. Biometrics

Mar 7, 2017... received EAD 

November 2017.. Renewal EAD sent 

March 29,2018 received renewed EAD. No biometric 

May 23, 2018 received message that case is being reviewed 

June 26... Card is being produced 

July 5.. Card received 

July 5 case approved 

I just got a New card is being produced status change... what card did you receive? did you only file the I130?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.