ApplyingforN400

Its time for a mass congressional inquiry?

35 posts in this topic

Im thinking it is time we make some noise as a group to know what is going on?

These time lines are turning from 2 years to 4 years. 

Approvals have slowdown again, and it is known there are laws in place that should have these applications approved within a certain amount of time. 

We are all suffering because of this stuff. 

People keep saying I751 is not that important, well I say it is, when you're making info passes for new stamps, not being able to use custom checking computers at airports, renewing driver licenses and most importantly employers having an edgy feeling about us being temporary or something wrong with our applications. 

I say, we are organized enough to make a mass congressional inquiry and even alert the media that even as legal immigrants we have been left in limbo for way to long.

I personally was fine with the wait, until everything just expired and I started running around feeling no different than a DACA applicant. 

This got to come to an end. This is a 3 months process, tops.    

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I hear you and fully support cause / understand situation as I'm getting ready to apply for ROC in Mid-April.

I can't even comprehend - stress / panic situation / waiting time with unknown future law changes in case of immigrants filing via employment. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately I been planning ahead of few things since my conditional LPR card was approved - 

- DL is approved till 2022 (maybe because of my state).

- Approved for Global Entry / TSA Pre-check (only requires $100 for 5 years; which is free if you sign up for premium credit cards).

- Already explained immigration process / current situation with applications delayed to immediate Manager during multiple 1-on-1 meeting at work

- Everyone might not agree / not needed but last thing, we decided to hire attorney to keep stress-level low - because I want to continue to live normal life on expired Green card (pending I-751) without stressing about future travel / emergency situation which may arise in future considering current situation. Internet forums and quick access to immigration expert  (hopefully won't require) can help and keep us over-prepared for unknown circumstances. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel USCIS don't have enough work force to quickly go through all cases causing delays.

N-400 Application Timeline :

Application sent via mail - April 15th  (Field office Dallas, TX)

NOA Receipt date - April 17th

Biometrics receipt - April 22th (appointment scheduled for May 14th)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Interview completed & Case approved - November 17th

Naturalization Ceremony (in January 2020 - waiting on notice)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
39 minutes ago, sharin said:

I hear you and fully support cause / understand situation as I'm getting ready to apply for ROC in Mid-April.

I can't even comprehend - stress / panic situation / waiting time with unknown future law changes in case of immigrants filing via employment. 

Fortunately I been planning ahead of few things since my conditional LPR card was approved - 

- DL is approved till 2022 (maybe because of my state).

- Approved for Global Entry / TSA Pre-check (only requires $100 for 5 years; which is free if you sign up for premium credit cards).

- Already explained immigration process / current situation with applications delayed to immediate Manager during multiple 1-on-1 meeting at work

- Everyone might not agree / not needed but last thing, we decided to hire attorney to keep stress-level low - because I want to continue to live normal life on expired Green card (pending I-751) without stressing about future travel / emergency situation which may arise in future considering current situation. Internet forums and quick access to immigration expert  (hopefully won't require) can help and keep us over-prepared for unknown circumstances. 

I feel USCIS don't have enough work force to quickly go through all cases causing delays.

Can't use Global Entry kiosks with an expired GC, FYI.

My 751 took 14 months and I think that's outrageous, but I'm not sure how much of a voice permanent residents have to raise these issues. We can't even vote.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

My 751 took 14 months and I think that's outrageous, but I'm not sure how much of a voice permanent residents have to raise these issues. We can't even vote.

I was planning to avoid waiting in line - I’d go thru Global entry kiosk and hopefully not waste time by waiting in line to see CBP officer. 

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Timeline
25 minutes ago, sharin said:

I was planning to avoid waiting in line - I’d go thru Global entry kiosk and hopefully not waste time by waiting in line to see CBP officer. 

I traveled internationally a lot while my ROC was pending and they don't allow you to go through the kiosk at all with an expired green card. You have to wait in line.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

I traveled internationally a lot while my ROC was pending and they don't allow you to go through the kiosk at all with an expired green card. You have to wait in line.

I’m guessing you also have Global

entry? 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, sharin said:

I’m guessing you also have Global

entry? 

Yes, I applied the day I got my conditional green card.

5 hours ago, sharin said:

I've had Nexus for years prior to starting this process to become a LPR and potentially citizen and know full well the luxuries of expedited travel.  Luckily for me Nexus and Global Entry merged and I was able to use the privilege with machines until 2 year GC expired.  Of course I can still use it when traveling by car but not by air.  Cardreaders register card as expired.  Some CBP officers will let you get away with it the first time but not again....it's back to the long line that everyone uses.  

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Sign me up.

I cannot tell you how quickly I will be off to the DMV to finally get a license that doesn't say ' temp immigrant' or 'temp visitor' on when this is done with once and for all. If I can assist in someone else in the future not having to have that feeling of not belonging in their own adopted country, then I will.

Unfortunately USCIS clearly do not give a monkeys toss about I-751 applicants, based on what I have experienced first hand on many (many) occasions and extensive reports from others.

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

6 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

When I was waiting for my ROC , I had to travel on my expired GC, I wasn't able to use GE, until an officer at BOS change my green card expiration date, matching the one year extension on my i797.

You will have to manually enter your A number on the kiosk,  and it will work.

Timeline
10 hours ago, mindthegap said:

Unfortunately USCIS clearly do not give a monkeys toss about I-751 applicants, based on what I have experienced first hand on many (many) occasions and extensive reports from others.

I agree with this sentiment. My feeling i that the fact that ROC is the immigrant's petition, not a USC's, makes it even worse. Though the timelines for I-130s aren't getting rosier.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
18 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

Nor can you use the new check in computers at JFK for the non GE folks either....however, if you travel WITH the Spouse, they will let your I-751 expired Green Card spouse go through the US Citizen like with you..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

you would think that since our fees pay and immigraiton is not part of the Federal budget that with an increase of applications (especially for those here ROC and AOS) that they could hire more workers / no need to make it hard on those already here on an approved visa

but it will not apply for CR1 and K1 as there is limited numer of visas each year and they can not process until a visa number comes up andas someties it is an intenial slowdown of the process as the number of applications has gone up by millions since 2006 (without the increase in visa numbers)

we are so spread out over the 50 states and territories hard to assemble a protest but i have been writing letters 

big problem is they are letting the wrong person make changes / Congress is suppose to

Homeland Security and therefore immigartion is under Congress and so far Congress has not formed a committee to study the REAL issues and make the necessary changes

Write to all your Congressmen and get something moving maybe that would help

12 hours ago, mindthegap said:

Sign me up.

I cannot tell you how quickly I will be off to the DMV to finally get a license that doesn't say ' temp immigrant' or 'temp visitor' on when this is done with once and for all. If I can assist in someone else in the future not having to have that feeling of not belonging in their own adopted country, then I will.

Do drivers licenses issued to GC holders STILL say "temporary visitor/immigrant" on them?! I thought I would get rid of that once I finally get my GC!

August 2017 - June 2018 AoS

April 2020 - January 2021 RoC

Jan 2022 - September 2022 Citizenship

I totally agree with this thread, and I would love to see a more efficient system put in place. But I seriously doubt the current congress gives a damn about immigrants. Their stance on DACA is appalling enough. The Republicans and Trump want to limit legal immigration - I don't see us getting help from them at all.

They (ICE) are even trying to bully long-term green hard holders (doubting a person's status), or trying to deport those with some minor offenses from decades ago.

Our stories about removing conditions and the hardships it causes us ... they are just not flashy enough for the media to cover.

The best thing we (the US citizens, at least) can do is VOTE this November and try to get a government functioning for the people.

Spoiler

K-1 Fiance Visa:
I-129F Sent:     2013-09-30
I-129F NOA1:     2013-10-03
I-129F NOA2:     2013-11-01
Interview Date:     2014-01-15
US Entry:     2014-02-06
Marriage:     2014-03-22

Adjustment Of Status:
Date Filed:     2014-04-19
NOA Date:     2014-04-24
Bio. Appt.:     2014-05-27
Interview waived!!

Approval Date:     2015-04-06
Greencard Received:     2015-04-15

Removing Conditions:
Date Filed:     2017-01-23
NOA Date:     2017-01-27

Bio. Appt.:     2017-02-13

"Case received at local office":    2018-02-26 and 2018-03-05 --- Not a case transfer. Still waiting!

Approved:     2018-06-22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.