Dinesh332

K1 interview and parents disagreement

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Heyy guys, I'm an Indian and girlfriend is from US and we have met only once outside the country and we just filed our petition . What problem we have is our age difference and my parents are not aware of these things.. I just have few question
1) what's the best way to make this relationship looks like genuine to the officer because I know it looks like fraud if my parents are not aware of the situation.. But If I tell dem it Will become  a issue and I can't do anything after that (she is ready to make one or two visits again before our interview if it gets approved.. Does that sounds good )
2) even if met one time also and  we have exchanged the rings also but we don't have any pictures of that. Wat can I do for this?
3)what can I answer them if they ask about my parents approval on the interview
4) just give me some ideas so that I can plan better
Thanks everyone 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

1) what's the best way to make this relationship looks like genuine to the officer because I know it looks like fraud if my parents are not aware of the situation.. But If I tell dem it Will become  a issue and I can't do anything after that (she is ready to make one or two visits again before our interview if it gets approved.. Does that sounds good )

All you can really do is tell the officer the truth about your relationship, and why your parents are not aware of your relationship.

11 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

2) even if met one time also and  we have exchanged the rings also but we don't have any pictures of that. Wat can I do for this?

Focus on the proof of relationship you do have---pictures are helpful, but not the only way of proving you've met in person.  Plane tickets, travel itineraries, etc.

12 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

The truth.

12 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

Always tell the truth.  It will come back to bite you REALLY hard later on if you don't, and the CO finds out.  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Hey @Going through I have seen many people who got rejected in India when they tel that parents won't agree to this or parents are not aware of this situation... What can I tell den genuinely

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

Heyy guys, I'm an Indian and girlfriend is from US and we have met only once outside the country and we just filed our petition . What problem we have is our age difference and my parents are not aware of these things.. I just have few question
Thanks everyone 

What is the age difference? She older or younger?

Don't need to show proof of rings or anything technically; but India is a harsh embassy I have heard especially as they expect a lot of local customs/traditions to be followed, like family approval and meeting with the future/current spouse.

As above, always be truthful about everything as it might be worse later on if you lied or were misleading.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

Hey @Going through I have seen many people who got rejected in India when they tel that parents won't agree to this or parents are not aware of this situation... What can I tell den genuinely

*I* can't tell you exactly what to tell them genuinely.... only you know the reasons why your parents are not aware of the situation, not anyone else here.

All you can do is explain the reasons why your parents do not know to the CO if/when asked.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
1 minute ago, Going through said:

*I* can't tell you exactly what to tell them genuinely.... only you know the reasons why your parents are not aware of the situation, not anyone else here.

Reason is I know they will never agree and it will be a shock too 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

Reason is I know they will never agree and it will be a shock too 

Then tell the CO that.

How old are you, and how old is the lady?  What are the other concerns you have?  (religious difference, etc.)

Edited by Going through

Timeline

Yup.. info asked earlier as that can help clear a bit of this up potentially....

02/03/2017 - Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

So. 

I believe that I'm in a similar situation so let me explain... I'm Malay-Muslim... I'm marrying my 14-years-older fiancée. My parents don't know. His parents does. I've met him twice, not once, in U.S. before he sent in our petition. He didn't give me any engagement ring because that's just not how I roll.

Like the poster above me said, I'm just going to tell the truth. I realize that might be harder said than done so perhaps if I give you a bit of what I'm planning to do, maybe it would help ease your mind?

1. My plans to prove genuine relationship:

• prenuptial agreement

• many many many pictures together

• both invoices of marriage bands (i bought his, he bought mine)

• message app chat logs

• plane tickets of me visiting my fiancée during the petition process

2. For the PETITION, you need to prove you have met in person within 2 years of submitting the petition. For the BENEFICIARY INTERVIEW, you need to show proofs of ONGOING relationship. There's a difference. Look at 1 to see how I am proving ongoing relationships.

3. My answer will be that I have not told my parents because I know they will disapprove. But I did tell my elder brother and my best friends of my relationship with my fiancée and they are supportive. My grandmother also knows that I will be starting a new life in U.S.. Having said this, my in-laws know of the relationship, and have given us their blessings of which I am grateful. I truly believe I am matured enough to make this decision. I definitely plan to tell my parents and I am prepared to face whatever consequences they give me, and it really helps that my future husband is very supportive. I will also definitely try to ease my parents to my marriage because I don't want my future children without the maternal half of their grandparents.

There you go. I hope that helps you. Our petition just got approved last week. I have not received a case number from NVC and so have not booked the interview. I'll let you know how my interview goes when I've gone through it.

Cheers and good luck! xx

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

Yeah.. I'm 26 and she is 36

So tell the CO that due to the age difference, you are afraid to tell your parents as you know they will not approve.

India is not easy to get a visa from sometimes because of certain cultural expectations----the female being younger and of child-bearing years, for one....and parent/family approval, for two.

Edited by Going through

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dinesh332 said:

Yeah.. I'm 26 and she is 36

While for us that isn't much really in sense of age; but that is abnormal in Indian culture isn't? Younger male and older female of that age gap? I'm assuming that is why, at least one part of why your family would be 'shocked' and maybe disapprove? The embassy there again takes cultural things into consideration, so anything "way out of the norm" so to say they will scrutinize.

This doesn't mean it can't happen, it always can be over come with good evidence of a strong relationship; but I would consider getting your family to be aware at least....

Again each country is different. For instance, for us, in the Philippines and some other countries, they don't even care if you ever told anyone in the family at all...

02/03/2017 - Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Okay, guys, don't criticize me for this suggestion ok.

But Dinesh, will you maybe consider, well, first spending much more time with your girlfriend, online or otherwise, and second, ask her if she would like to visit you again in India and get married in a courthouse if available in your country?

Then you may apply for a spousal Visa. It may be easier for you, I don't know, I'm not from India.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Going through said:

So tell the CO that due to the age difference, you are afraid to tell your parents as you know they will not approve.

India is not easy to get a visa from sometimes because of certain cultural expectations----the female being younger and of child-bearing years, for one....and parent/family approval, for two.

I mean waiting this longer and then getting denied will be so painful... Does meeting 3 times will make any sense 

Timeline

More meetings can definately be beneficial either K-1 or CR-1 routes... but again you still need to address a bit of the family situation I think.

AL-MJD gave some good tips.. maybe involve brothers/sisters and close friends at least if you don't wish to involve your parents.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.