Cacerez

US Citizen able to sponsor parents’ tourist visa?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

My husband became a citizen in Sept 2017 and wants to know if this helps his parents to get a tourist visa?

He has also read that he can sponsor his parents’ visit as they do not have resources in the bank, but they do have their own home in Guatemala and his mother has a job to return to. They are both in their 50s. 

MR. & MRS. CACEREZ

K-1 Process

10.23.08 - sent K1 packet

10.29.08 - NOA1

02.19.09 - NOA2 113 days, Igor's #226

04.13.09 - Interview, Visa in hand next day

04.19.09 - POE Atlanta

04.20.09 - Married!

AOS Process

06.09.09 - sent AOS,EAD,AP packet

06.17.09 - NOAs issued

06.24.09 - Biometrics done (3 weeks earlier than appt date)

07.03.09 - received RFE for I-693 (dated 6.29, responded 7.07)

07.23.09 - transferred to CSC (received letter 7.27)

07.29.09 - EAD Card Production Ordered & AP Approved

11.23.09 - AOS touched - card production ordered & welcome letter sent - 13 months exactly after initially applying for K-1!

12.03.09 - GC arrived in mail

Removal of Conditions Process

07.28.11 - received reminder letter from USCIS to remove conditions before 11.18.11

09.28.11 - mailed I-751 packet

10.03.11 - NOA

10.05.11 - check cashed

11.25.11 - Biometrics

07.24.12 - GC approved!

08.01.12 - GC arrived in mail

Citizenship Process

12.16.16 - sent N400 packet

12.23.16 - NOA issued

01.27.17 - Biometrics done

02.01.17 - put in line for interview

03.15.17 - scheduled for an interview on 04.21.17, had to write a letter asking for a reschedule because we will be out of the country

03.31.17 - scheduled for an interview again

05.09.17 - Interview!

Unfortunately he has heard some incorrect information. There is no sponsorship for visitor visas and there is nothing anyone can do to help someone get approved, parents or otherwise. Letters of invitation, back statements, promises to "support" people...all end up in the recycling bin, if they even get looked at. 

Arguably your husband's new status may be a hindrance to his parents as there exists the belief, based on the actions of others in the same situation, that his parents will "change their minds" about going home once they get here and then adjust status. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am intrigued as to where he read this?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

word travels in immigrant communities..?

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

word travels in immigrant communities..?

Not my one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

in some more than others

I-751 journey

12 hours ago, JFH said:

Unfortunately he has heard some incorrect information. There is no sponsorship for visitor visas and there is nothing anyone can do to help someone get approved, parents or otherwise. Letters of invitation, back statements, promises to "support" people...all end up in the recycling bin, if they even get looked at. 

I used to think the same way.   But I think it could be a game changer if a person shows up with  "promise to support".

Last summer my wife Uncle who is US Citizen by way of getting enlistment in the US Navy and now retired an living in Philippines.  Had one of his son who was born and lives in Philippines but is US Citizen he joined the US Navy.   The family wanted to go to his graduation in the USA.  5 people applied for a Tourist Visa.  3 of them were older (60 +) and all living in Philippines they got approved.  

The odd one was there were two younger (Early 20's) applicants, who both were working and living in Singapore but were Philippines Citizens.  They both applied and got approved.

My wife Uncle who is the US Citizen living in Philippines kept telling the family they were approved due to his letter stating he would take care of the expenses.   He does draw a hefty pension, and he has a pretty awesome house in Philippines. I would consider him fairly wealthy.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FalkorLuckdragon said:

@JFH Do you have a source for the statement "there is no sponsorship for visitor visas"? This link seems to indicate otherwise.

Your link is to a lawyer website trying to drum up business.

Here is an official link https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html  which clearly states that if you bring an affidavit of support or letter of invitation to the visa interview it will not be a factor in issuing the visa.

5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Your link is to a lawyer website trying to drum up business.

Here is an official link https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html  which clearly states that if you bring an affidavit of support or letter of invitation to the visa interview it will not be a factor in issuing the visa.

This was helpful. Copying the relevant portion here in case the URL changes:

Additional documentation may be required

Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:

• The purpose of your trip;
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip. 

Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa.

1 hour ago, FalkorLuckdragon said:

@JFH Do you have a source for the statement "there is no sponsorship for visitor visas"? This link seems to indicate otherwise.

When in doubt, better to refer to an official .gov link and not a .com link. 

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.