Sibca04

Voluntary Departure/Adjusting status

58 posts in this topic

My husband entered illegally in 2004 to the US. In 2011 he was arrested and detained by ICE for driving without a license under the 287-G law. We were not married nor together at that time. The attorney he had told him it was best to request voluntary departure. So he did and didn't leave. Fast forward. We married 3 years ago and are trying to adjust his status. I've just received approval letter last week after filing the i-130 and it has been sent to the department of state for visa processing. The letter stated that he did not qualify to adjust status. We have meeting with our attorney Thursday but.. I am just wondering WHAT we can do and if anyone has experience. I know there is a 10 year bar from adjusting status if you fail to depart. So, we have to wait until 2021 but attorney mentioned we may be able to do it sooner.. 

Anyone else have experience with something similar? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

2021? Is he already banned or does his ban begin as soon as he departs the US (which I thought he must do to gain inspection)?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, missileman said:

2021? Is he already banned or does his ban begin as soon as he departs the US (which I thought he must do to gain inspection)?

From what we understand there is a 10 year ban from adjusting status inside the US ---- if you do not leave the US after a voluntary departure request. 

If he departs now, there will be another ban from the US that would go into place which is diff.. for up to 10 years.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Carla Sibrian said:

From what we understand there is a 10 year ban from adjusting status inside the US ---- if you do not leave the US after a voluntary departure request. 

Curious where you heard that one from.

Bars don't kick in until the person has actually left the US.  

Right now he has no legal  way to adjust status without leaving the country first and re-entering with inspection (ie. entering the country legally).   Upon leaving the US, he will trigger the 10-year bar and cannot travel to the US until that is served out. 

You can meet with your attorney of course, however no attorney can change immigration laws.  Perhaps your attorney meant he would try some sort of hardship plea in the event that your husband is given a notice to appear before an immigration judge in removal proceedings.  Might be hard to do any sort of plea, however, since your husband has ignored immigration laws twice now (entering illegally, and then staying illegally after being ordered to depart).

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

This sounds risky to me.....How does he gain ANY type of authorized stay until 2021 or whenever?

"Consequences of Failing to Depart

Under the immigration laws, aliens who do not voluntarily depart will be issued a civil fine that can range in cost from $1000 to $5000 AND will be deemed ineligible to receive the following forms of relief for 10 years: cancellation of removal, adjustment of status, registry, voluntary departure, or a change of nonimmigrant status. Aliens should only apply for an order of voluntary departure if they intend to and are able to timely depart and satisfy any other conditions imposed."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

12 minutes ago, Going through said:

Curious where you heard that one from.

Bars don't kick in until the person has actually left the US.  

Right now he has no legal  way to adjust status without leaving the country first and re-entering with inspection (ie. entering the country legally).   Upon leaving the US, he will trigger the 10-year bar and cannot travel to the US until that is served out. 

You can meet with your attorney of course, however no attorney can change immigration laws.  Perhaps your attorney meant he would try some sort of hardship plea in the event that your husband is given a notice to appear before an immigration judge in removal proceedings.

Consider that a person who is granted voluntary departure after 1996 but fails to voluntarily leave the United States may face:

• civil penalties including fines of $3,000; and
  • a 10-year bar from important immigration options such as cancellation of removal, adjustment of status, and change of status;

Also, it is harder to file a motion to reopen or reconsider a voluntary departure order, although this issue has been the subject of extensive litigation and new regulations.

** you can find this all over the web which is what our lawyer has discussed with us. I am likely using the wrong words bars/bans and such... hints why we have an attorney.. We know we have no other options other than him leaving for 10 years.. . Just curious if anyone has a similar case.. and has been able to adjust while remaining in the US.

7 minutes ago, missileman said:

He would remain illegal in the US until 2021.. 

Edited by Carla Sibrian

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Carla Sibrian said:

Consider that a person who is granted voluntary departure after 1996 but fails to voluntarily leave the United States may face:

• civil penalties including fines of $3,000; and
  • a 10-year bar from important immigration options such as cancellation of removal, adjustment of status, and change of status;

Also, it is harder to file a motion to reopen or reconsider a voluntary departure order, although this issue has been the subject of extensive litigation and new regulations.

** you can find this all over the web which is what our lawyer has discussed with us. I am likely using the wrong words bars/bans and such... hints why we have an attorney.. We know we have no other options other than him leaving for 10 years.. . Just curious if anyone has a similar case.. and has been able to adjust while remaining in the US.

Legally, he has no basis to file the AOS while remaining in the States.

USCIS allows for the AOS of an individual who has lawfully been admitted to the States (ie. entered with inspection), as one of their requirements at the time of filing.

What you quoted above generally refers to those people who have entered legally under a type of visa and then overstayed their visa, and granted voluntary departure....but they did enter legally which is the key difference between them and your husband.

It's good that you are consulting an attorney on this, at the very least they will be able to help prepare you for what lies ahead logistics-wise.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

We know what a small chance we have in changing whatever we are in right now. But, going to El Salvador with our severely autistic son just isn't going to happen. So, here we are believing what our attorney is telling us and hoping for a positive outcome - without going back to El Salvador. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Carla Sibrian said:

We know what a small chance we have in changing whatever we are in right now. But, going to El Salvador with our severely autistic son just isn't going to happen. So, here we are believing what our attorney is telling us and hoping for a positive outcome - without going back to El Salvador. 

That's why I mentioned before that your lawyer probably meant he would help plead hardship if your husband appeared before an immigration judge, then detained, and ordered deported....not that your lawyer meant there would be some way of your husband adjusting status from within the US....only because it's not legally possible at this point (without him leaving and incurring the 10-year bar).

Edited by Going through

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Carla Sibrian said:

Good luck.  I'm not convinced that he can just evade the authorities inside the US for 3 more years( especially since they now know where he lives) , and suddenly his ban is non longer in effect.....I was under the impression that he would HAVE to leave the US and re-enter under inspection (triggering a 10 year ban)......I hope your attorney knows what he/she is talking about........

Good Luck.

Edit:  Maybe @ geowrian  has some thoughts on this subject.

Edited by missileman

I hope our attorney knows as well. We did consult with others and were given the same information as well. We have lived in the same place for 11 years so if they haven't come for him yet.. hopefully, we can wait out the 3 years if needed.

Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Carla Sibrian said:

I hope our attorney knows as well. We did consult with others and were given the same information as well. We have lived in the same place for 11 years so if they haven't come for him yet.. hopefully, we can wait out the 3 years if needed.

He is deportable, they just have not caught him yet, when he failed to leave voluntarily automatically turned into a Deportation Order.

Filing 1 485 just told them where he is.

Now he may well be not at the top of their list but that does not change to situation. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Carla Sibrian said:

Probably because in those last 11 years his illegal status was not spotlighted....so he flew under the radar, kept quiet as it were.

Seems to reason the i-130/i-485 filing will have now brought him to USCIS's attention in a huge way...start a chain of events if presumably after the denial letter comes the NTA letter.

Edited by Going through

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.