JReed

DMV - extension letter experience

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everybody!

I went to the dmv today for my driving’s license and would like to share my experience with you.

At first the lady didn’t want to accept the extension letter, saying it wasn’t a valid status document. So (very politely) I explained that it is, since I can use it to travel abroad, yadda yadda...and had her read through it. Then she said it would still be a problem since my extension is due at the end of this month, boohooo. I know, I should have gotten a license earlier, but I didn’t need to drive until now, so...

I asked her what should I do then, for my field office (Portland, OR) is about 6 hours drive from here (Medford, OR) and before I kept going about the impossible infopass appointments, she asked me to wait a moment, left for 3 minutes and came back saying she would try something.

To my surprise, she actually looked into my case on her computer, explaining that maybe it could have been approved already?...(ha! miracles do happen, but not a chance...CSC February 2017 filer here), but still, she managed to see it and told me that it says something like: status extended until final decision, :o which was proof enough for her, and saved me a painful car trip with a 2 years old, yay! 

Of course I was lucky to get a realy nice lady who was willing to help me, but sometimes a little patience to explain and educate them about the letter goes a long way. I know that I’ll eventually have to go get the bloody stamp if they don’t speed up things in California, but not right now :D.

I hope my experience help others when dealing with the DMV if they give you a “no no” about the letter. 

Cheers! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The letter of extension is valid for all purposes of a greencard until 11:59 p.m. on the last date. She cannot deny you the DL on the basis that it will expire soon, you should have called her bluff.

She also probably played you about checking the status, unless that is the same status YOU can see when you check online.

If she really did access your USCIS data, you might need to report her to the FBI so she can explain how, since she is not a employee of USCIS.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

4 hours ago, BlessedAssurance said:

The letter of extension is valid for all purposes of a greencard until 11:59 p.m. on the last date. She cannot deny you the DL on the basis that it will expire soon, you should have called her bluff.

She also probably played you about checking the status, unless that is the same status YOU can see when you check online.

If she really did access your USCIS data, you might need to report her to the FBI so she can explain how, since she is not a employee of USCIS.

I'm pretty sure DMVs have a mechanism for communicating with DHS/USCIS to verify information, as OP said.

@JReed, how long is your license good for? Some states will issue it only until the expiration of your authorized stay as demonstrated on whatever document you're showing, others will give it for the maximum length allowed, and others are in-between.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, jxn said:

I'm pretty sure DMVs have a mechanism for communicating with DHS/USCIS to verify information, as OP said.

@JReed, how long is your license good for? Some states will issue it only until the expiration of your authorized stay as demonstrated on whatever document you're showing, others will give it for the maximum length allowed, and others are in-between.

A counter clerk at the DMV has access to be able to check the status of an application at USCIS in the detailed manner the OP gives, while Tier 1 USCIS agents cannot give you that info and you have to chase a Tier 2 agent or a supervisor? No, no, no. 

The implication is that DMV counter clerks have access to information and statuses that have not even been updated at the SSA? Even after becoming a US citizen, one has to go to the SSA office to update their status WITH PHYSICAL PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP, yet DMV clerks are able to casually open your USCIS application and view your status?

Please give me another!

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

18 minutes ago, BlessedAssurance said:

A counter clerk at the DMV has access to be able to check the status of an application at USCIS in the detailed manner the OP gives, while Tier 1 USCIS agents cannot give you that info and you have to chase a Tier 2 agent or a supervisor? No, no, no. 

The implication is that DMV counter clerks have access to information and statuses that have not even been updated at the SSA? Even after becoming a US citizen, one has to go to the SSA office to update their status WITH PHYSICAL PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP, yet DMV clerks are able to casually open your USCIS application and view your status?

Please give me another!

It's called the SAVE Program.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, jxn said:

It's called the SAVE Program.

Disagree.

jxn can you go into the SAVE Program, put in your NOA number or any of your USCIS numbers, and come back here and tell us if you are able to see the status of your case.

[06/01, 2012]  - 

Timeline

Guys, I don't know how detailed is the info she had access to,  I'm pretty sure it isn't "the" real deal, but she managed to see that I am a legal resident with a pending status until otherwise decided by CSC.

I didn't want to start a heated argument about it, I just thought of sharing my experience after seeing some other members here being denied a renewal by DMV for lack of proof of status (without the stamp, that is).

I don't know yet how long will my license be good for because I still need to take the silly driving test because my current license is from abroad. Though from what she told me, I assume it will be a normal extent of validity. I'll let you know when I get it.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, BlessedAssurance said:

Disagree.

jxn can you go into the SAVE Program, put in your NOA number or any of your USCIS numbers, and come back here and tell us if you are able to see the status of your case.

i just tried this and it came back not found! #######!

Sent AOS Documents: 09/17/14

Documents Received: 09/18/14

Welcome letter received: 06/18/15

Sent I-751 Documents: 03/13/2017

Package received: 3/14/17

Check cashed: 03/21/17

NOA received: 03/23/17

NOA dated: 03/16/17

Biometrics: 04/20/17

ROC Approved: 02/09/2018

Sent N-400 Documents: 03/13/2018

Package received: 3/14/18

Check cashed: 03/29/18

NOA received: 03/19/18

NOA dated: 03/19/18

Biometrics: 04/08/19

N-400 Approved: 02/28/19 🤸‍♂️

Oath Ceremony: 03/15/19 :dance:

Timeline
11 minutes ago, England2Wisco said:

i just tried this and it came back not found! #######!

Right. So did I, and got same. And I tried my N400 case number,  USCIS A-number, my Naturalization Certificate number, with the same result.

The premise that a DMV clerk at a counter used this to view a status that was not (assuming) publicly available to anyone checking status on the USCIS 'Check Status' function is bewildering and laughable, and begs the question why folks should be checking the USCIS website when they can go to this SAVE Program and get a better view of where their application currently is.

That's why I posited that the clerk may have played the OP, having somehow realized that she cannot deny OP services, and weaseled her way out by hoodwinking him she can see his status.

[06/01, 2012]  - 

We had a similar experience at a Virginia DMV some time ago. We handed over the expiring GC and extn letter, they said they needed to run it by Legal. I could see the extn letter being put into something along the lines of a fax machine nearby. After a half hour wait, no approval and told to go home and await a verification call. Well, no call, but we decided to go to a different DMV a couple of days later. Started the same with the extn letter being 'faxed', but about 10 minutes later the agent said they'll approve us. We think they did a manual override in their System because a supervisor was involved. We ended up with a 1-yr license. Another VJ member went to that same DMV and got a 8-yr license extension with the letter a few days earlier.

Moral: no one knows for sure what the heck goes on behind the scene..

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just at the DMV two days ago for the same reason and I currently have a GC (expiring in a couple days) and the extension letter. At first, the clerk was ready to put my info through with just the GC when I was like "um, you need this letter right? The expiry date on that card is too soon." Didn't want him or myself to get in trouble. He was like =/ yeah. I told him I'm sure I saw this I-797 letter being mentioned on the DMV's own site as acceptable. He ran around a bit with my stuff and came back unsure. I was like "I'm 100% positive this is acceptable, it's the only official proof that I'm allowed to be here". He runs around some more and finds someone to help him put it in the system. I think this added maybe 10 minutes tops. If anyone is worried, just save the DMV acceptable ID list to your phone or print it out and be politely insistent :) 

Edited by CanadianGrrl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just move to one of the 13 states that allows anyone to get a drivers license regardless of immigration status. California comes to mind. I know in Nevada where I live they will give a license to anyone that can walk in. Boggles the mind that you show up with legitimate documents and have trouble, well, not trouble, but got quick fast service from a DMV is amazing to me from the beginning.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Oh I ran into troubles with the dmv(Texas) also, 2 Times! Each time they said they need my status to be verified by uscis , 

1st time I was there after my k1 has expired in the passport but I gave them up to date aos processing documents, 3 weeks later letter in the mail uscis verified your status you can come in & get your state id or dL , next time I went in I already had my ead/ap card by then & I thought It was even easier bc I got new cards ,sike, same problem they couldn’t find me on the computer , so send me home again & told me to wait until I get verified & come back , I still didn’t get no letter from them meanwhile my conditional residency got approved soon I get a green card & I’m pretty sure when I get back I still won’t be able to test. All I want Is a drivers permit... so I can practice drive ing because I am scared to drive by myself -so I won’t plan to take the drivers test for now. 

Do you guys have any tips on what to say next time I get there , i’m Tired of playing hokey pokey with them. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

In Arizona, driver license validity is limited to expiry of status document, so I am now on my third license, and it is again only for a year, until the extension letter expires.

So, the OP would have not had any luck here getting a license with a letter that expires within the month. 

On the other hand, in Tucson they had not problem whatsoever with the extension letter. Didn't miss a beat. They must see them a lot, us being so close to the border? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, SindiNico said:

Oh I ran into troubles with the dmv(Texas) also, 2 Times! Each time they said they need my status to be verified by uscis , 

1st time I was there after my k1 has expired in the passport but I gave them up to date aos processing documents, 3 weeks later letter in the mail uscis verified your status you can come in & get your state id or dL , next time I went in I already had my ead/ap card by then & I thought It was even easier bc I got new cards ,sike, same problem they couldn’t find me on the computer , so send me home again & told me to wait until I get verified & come back , I still didn’t get no letter from them meanwhile my conditional residency got approved soon I get a green card & I’m pretty sure when I get back I still won’t be able to test. All I want Is a drivers permit... so I can practice drive ing because I am scared to drive by myself -so I won’t plan to take the drivers test for now. 

Do you guys have any tips on what to say next time I get there , i’m Tired of playing hokey pokey with them. 

I don't think you'll have any troubles if you go with a valid green card. Good luck! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.