Alex3344

Los Angeles, CA Office AOS Filers

67 posts in this topic

I was wondering if we have a lot of Los Angeles filed office AOS filers, maybe it would help to get some data points here.  My main concern is how do you plan travel for after you get your AP and until you get your interview notice?  I do not want to book travel and then get a notice that my interview is during that time...

As best I can tell, it used to be 7.5 months from receive date to interview, and now with the latest update it is 6 3/4 months or so.  One member here I believe got scheduled 6 months out recently, but I can't find where that post was (the search here when you type in Los Angeles is too hard to sift through).  

Any other LA filers here?  Maybe you can share your dates and we can get some educated guesses going :)

11/01/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

11/07/2017 Package delivered after being lost by USPS (thanks USPS!)

11/15/2017 Received email and text notifications from USCIS

12/05/2017 Walk in Biometrics

01/19/2017 Text that EAD is in production

• 6 months later...

Just pulling this up again, anyone else waiting for the LA office interview? 

Hello, August 2017 Los Angeles filer here (Los Angeles proper, not Los Angeles county). I see that you got your EAD/AP approval in January. Did you end up traveling with your AP??? It's not a big deal to go for maybe two weeks. A month is the maximum time I personally would travel while AoS is pending. Even then, being on the safe side and limiting travel during pending AoS is your best bet.

I received my EAD in mid-April 2018. Now it's almost four months later and still no interview updates. I contacted my senator and she wrote me back to say she made an inquiry and USCIS has said our case is still in line to be scheduled for an interview. So I guess we'll just have to keep waiting! Los Angeles is a busy office. The city itself has a bigger population than some entire states! Plus they started doing interviews for employment-based green card applications last year. These used to have no interviews. I hope we both hear something soon though! I'm getting tired of their automatic emails that say, "We are still reviewing your case."

@mushroomspore  Hey to answer your questions....yes to AP and traveling, and also a few times between 2 weeks and a month each time.  No issues, other than the long wait at LAX upon reintry in the secondary screening room (no questions, just waiting time).  

Before it was 7 months or so but now it is all over the place it seems.  Quite annoying.  Agree with you on those emails, I hate getting them too :D

1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Hello, August 2017 Los Angeles filer here (Los Angeles proper, not Los Angeles county). I see that you got your EAD/AP approval in January. Did you end up traveling with your AP??? It's not a big deal to go for maybe two weeks. A month is the maximum time I personally would travel while AoS is pending. Even then, being on the safe side and limiting travel during pending AoS is your best bet.

I received my EAD in mid-April 2018. Now it's almost four months later and still no interview updates. I contacted my senator and she wrote me back to say she made an inquiry and USCIS has said our case is still in line to be scheduled for an interview. So I guess we'll just have to keep waiting! Los Angeles is a busy office. The city itself has a bigger population than some entire states! Plus they started doing interviews for employment-based green card applications last year. These used to have no interviews. I hope we both hear something soon though! I'm getting tired of their automatic emails that say, "We are still reviewing your case."

May I ask which senator you contacted and what you wrote to them? :) I'm a September 2017 filer (San Fernando Valley). Thanks and good luck :) 

I-751 - Pending

PD: Jul 27, 2020 (California Service Center / WAC) w/ 18 mth extension letter

Biometrics: N/A - No request for biometrics, no notification of reusing fingerprints 

Office Transfer to National Benefits Center / MSC: Jan 5, 2021 & Jan 6, 2021 ("standard processing")

San Fernando Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

I-130 / I-485 - Approved Oct 2018
PD: Sep 15, 2017
Biometrics: Oct 11, 2017
EAD: Dec 13, 2017 (Didn't apply for AP)
EAD Renewal PD: June 19, 2018
EAD Renewal Fingerprint Review Completed: July 6, 2018
Interview Ready to be Scheduled: Jul 17, 2018
Interview: Oct 16, 2018

Approved - Card Received

AOS from O1 through marriage

San Fernando Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

7 minutes ago, KathCali said:

May I ask which senator you contacted and what you wrote to them? :) I'm a September 2017 filer (San Fernando Valley). Thanks and good luck :) 

Senator Kamala Harris...here is the direct link to her website form to ask for help with a federal agency.

I've contacted her three times so far this year. The most recent time was a month ago. I simply said that I had received no updates on my case since mid-April. Last update was EAD/AP approval. I said I wanted to confirm our case is still in line to be scheduled for an interview. Her office sent me a paper letter three weeks after I submitted the form to her through email. The letter acknowledge she had received my inquiry and would pass it on to her liaison at her Los Angeles office. About a week after THAT, I received another letter stating that USCIS officially confirmed our case is still waiting to be scheduled for the interview. Contacting her won't guarantee anything and it doesn't make your case move faster or anything. But I think it's good to make an inquiry if you have received zero updates just for your own peace of mind. Good luck and keep us updated!!

@Alex3344 I've given up trying to figure out USCIS's pattern. I wish they had a more efficient way of letting applicants/petitioners know if they're going to be interviewed soon or if it will take a while. Some idea of timelines would be very helpful and probably would cut down on a good number of phone calls to USCIS from people desperately wanting some more information. Alas! This is not the world we live in. Good luck with the waiting. At least we have our EADs!

Just now, mushroomspore said:

Senator Kamala Harris...here is the direct link to her website form to ask for help with a federal agency.

I've contacted her three times so far this year. The most recent time was a month ago. I simply said that I had received no updates on my case since mid-April. Last update was EAD/AP approval. I said I wanted to confirm our case is still in line to be scheduled for an interview. Her office sent me a paper letter three weeks after I submitted the form to her through email. The letter acknowledge she had received my inquiry and would pass it on to her liaison at her Los Angeles office. About a week after THAT, I received another letter stating that USCIS officially confirmed our case is still waiting to be scheduled for the interview. Contacting her won't guarantee anything and it doesn't make your case move faster or anything. But I think it's good to make an inquiry if you have received zero updates just for your own peace of mind. Good luck and keep us updated!!

@Alex3344 I've given up trying to figure out USCIS's pattern. I wish they had a more efficient way of letting applicants/petitioners know if they're going to be interviewed soon or if it will take a while. Some idea of timelines would be very helpful and probably would cut down on a good number of phone calls to USCIS from people desperately wanting some more information. Alas! This is not the world we live in. Good luck with the waiting. At least we have our EADs!

Thank you so much! I will definitely be contacting Senator Harris in late August if we don't receive any updates by then. :) 

I-751 - Pending

Biometrics: N/A - No request for biometrics, no notification of reusing fingerprints 

Office Transfer to National Benefits Center / MSC: Jan 5, 2021 & Jan 6, 2021 ("standard processing")

Approved - Card Received

5 minutes ago, KathCali said:

Thank you so much! I will definitely be contacting Senator Harris in late August if we don't receive any updates by then. :) 

Awesome! Luckily, Senator Harris is very pro-immigration so her office is more than happy to help us out. I hope we all get actual updates about our interviews soon though. 

Just now, mushroomspore said:

Awesome! Luckily, Senator Harris is very pro-immigration so her office is more than happy to help us out. I hope we all get actual updates about our interviews soon though. 

She is a wonderful senator. I like her a lot for many reasons, but am especially thankful for her support of immigrants :) I hope so too! I believe USCIS did a website update this weekend so maybe we will get news this week. Fingers crossed!

I-751 - Pending

Approved - Card Received

LA filer too (not county), Nov 2017. Case ready to be scheduled for an interview since Jan 2.

I travelled twice on my AP, I booked my tickets 2 weeks in advance for each trip, both two week trips, to reduce the chances of getting scheduled for an interview while I was abroad. We want to go on another trip later this year, so I'm looking at airlines with a reasonable ticket change fee.

AOS from B1/B2

11/03/2017:   Filed Package

11/13/2017:   NOA in the mail

12/22/2017:   Biometrics

01/09/2018:   EAD approved

01/15/2018:   Card Received

10/22/2018:   Text and email notifications for interview

12/05/2018:   Interview Date

12/03/2018:   Phone Call from USCIS, Interview rescheduled

12/20/2018:   New Interview date. Approved on the spot!

I-751

09/30/2020: Case received WAC

01/19/2021: Transfered to NBC

03/04/2021: Fingerprints applied

03/16/2021: Approved and card ordered

N-400

09/28/2021: Filed Online

10/25/2021: Biometrics

11/30/2021: Interview,  Approved.

12/01/2021: Oath Ceremony

• 2 weeks later...

We sent in a request to Senator Harris, though I am not expecting much.  Still no news here.  

1 hour ago, Alex3344 said:

We sent in a request to Senator Harris, though I am not expecting much.  Still no news here.  

Please keep us posted on her response! :)

I-751 - Pending

Approved - Card Received

Just wanted to let y'all know that my interview has been scheduled (online update). Will let you guys know when the actual date is once we get the notice. It's been 12 months and 2 weeks!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Just wanted to let y'all know that my interview has been scheduled (online update). Will let you guys know when the actual date is once we get the notice. It's been 12 months and 2 weeks!!!!!

Nice! Keep us posted, I am in LA County office and also anxiously waiting...no updates since April 2018 when combo card was received. 

Our NOA1's were last November though. Did you already do your medical? I wonder if you have to re-do it since it's been a year. 

9 minutes ago, ac8238 said:

Nice! Keep us posted, I am in LA County office and also anxiously waiting...no updates since April 2018 when combo card was received. 

Our NOA1's were last November though. Did you already do your medical? I wonder if you have to re-do it since it's been a year. 

Yes I'll be re-doing the medical, but after we get the notice and I know for sure when the interview is. The doc might "renew" it for a discounted price. I hate spending the money AGAIN but it's better than getting a post-interview RFE and having to wait even longer afterwards. I'd rather just have it ready and in hand. If the IO says it's unnecessary, then it's no big deal. I got the combo card in April too!! Fingers crossed you hear something soon as well. LA County's probably got similar processing times. 

Edited by mushroomspore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.