7 posts in this topic

IR1 Visa. POE will be the MSP airport in April. Any tips?

We will be bringing the sealed envelope that came with the visa and the CD from the medical appointment. Should be bring anything else?

Has anybody done POE there recently and can shed some light on how long it should take, what they ask, any other documents you should have with you, etc...?

How long did it take to get your social security card? We checked 'yes' in the DS-260 applications. Hubby wants to start working ASAP. Can he work with his immigrant visa until the card arrives?

How does the drivers license work? Looks like he has to take a written and driven test. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/dvs-content-detail.aspx?pageID=551&pageTitle=Driver's License - Class D – New Resident

Can he drive with his foreign license till he gets his new license? For how long? Will he be insured under my insurance? 

Thanks guys!

Edited by Marley_09

i-130 sent in December before fee change- around 12.22.16

1.3.17: Processing date for i-130.

9.27.17: Rec'd e-mail that i-130 approved! 

10.5.17: Case sent to dept. of state for processing.

10.11.17: NVC rec'd case.

10.20.17: Rec'd case number and invoice ID number from NVC over the phone.

10.21.17: Filled out choice of address and agent.

10.24.17: AOS bill opened and paid

10.31: IV bill opened and paid (called 10.26 to ask them to process AOS bill and DS-261)

11.1: Bank processed IV Bill

11.3 DS-260 form filled out online

11.8 NVC package sent!

11.13: NVC package arrives at NVC

11.14: Scan date!

11.16: Sent expedite request to NVC

11.22: Expedite approved by consulate

11.28: Rec'd e-mail from NVC that package was sent to consulate. CEAC tracker states: in transit. Case Complete at NVC
12.11 Rec'd e-mail from consulate that package arrived, together with Pkt 3 instructions.
1.10 Interview apt letter rec'd via e-mail! (scheduled medical appointment)
1.25 Interview in the morning. Was told approved on the spot and visa should arrive in the mail within ten days! Yay!
1.26 CEAC tracker says Visa Issued!
1.30 Visa arrived!

I had an idiot process us on a K1 last year.

I flew in with my fiancé from her home country, I was asked if I paid my taxes to the IRS which I thought was an odd question.

Then I was told after we got married to go to the Dallas (Closet USCIS office to me) USCIS and adjust status there,  which is incorrect.

I just smiled and went on thru the line to catch my next flight.

If you get any issues,  which I am sure you won't just ask for a supervisor.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Marley_09 said:

IR1 Visa. POE will be the MSP airport in April. Any tips?

We will be bringing the sealed envelope that came with the visa and the CD from the medical appointment. Should be bring anything else?

Has anybody done POE there recently and can shed some light on how long it should take, what they ask, any other documents you should have with you, etc...?

How long did it take to get your social security card? We checked 'yes' in the DS-260 applications. Hubby wants to start working ASAP. Can he work with his immigrant visa until the card arrives?

How does the drivers license work? Looks like he has to take a written and driven test. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/dvs-content-detail.aspx?pageID=551&pageTitle=Driver's License - Class D – New Resident

Can he drive with his foreign license till he gets his new license? For how long? Will he be insured under my insurance? 

Thanks guys!

MSP is not a busy international arrival airport

Driving privileges/laws are state specific

Ask your insurance agent

YMMV

20 hours ago, Marley_09 said:

To add to above answers, his immigrant visa turns into a temporary green card valid for a year as soon as he is stamped for entry at the border (if you look at the small print at the bottom of the visa it states this, re temporary I551). He can use this for anything he needs a plastic green card/proof of being a LPR for - working, drivers license etc.

social security cards are normally pretty fast, within 2 weeks of landing.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Thanks all!

i-130 sent in December before fee change- around 12.22.16

1.3.17: Processing date for i-130.

9.27.17: Rec'd e-mail that i-130 approved! 

10.5.17: Case sent to dept. of state for processing.

10.11.17: NVC rec'd case.

10.20.17: Rec'd case number and invoice ID number from NVC over the phone.

10.21.17: Filled out choice of address and agent.

10.24.17: AOS bill opened and paid

10.31: IV bill opened and paid (called 10.26 to ask them to process AOS bill and DS-261)

11.1: Bank processed IV Bill

11.3 DS-260 form filled out online

11.8 NVC package sent!

11.13: NVC package arrives at NVC

11.14: Scan date!

11.16: Sent expedite request to NVC

11.22: Expedite approved by consulate

11.28: Rec'd e-mail from NVC that package was sent to consulate. CEAC tracker states: in transit. Case Complete at NVC
12.11 Rec'd e-mail from consulate that package arrived, together with Pkt 3 instructions.
1.10 Interview apt letter rec'd via e-mail! (scheduled medical appointment)
1.25 Interview in the morning. Was told approved on the spot and visa should arrive in the mail within ten days! Yay!
1.26 CEAC tracker says Visa Issued!
1.30 Visa arrived!

My husband came through MSP. Very polite 0 harassment level. They didn't ask him many questions at all. Just reminded him we needed to marry within 90 days.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.