millyshe5

Military spouse's GC problem

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

i'm a military spouse with a 2 year green card, my husband gets an assignment to lajes base next year(2018/08~2019/08or longer),  I can't go with him there. So the question is do i need to apply re-entry permit to stay out of state?  Because I applied one to go back to my country while he is in kunsan from 2017/06~2018/06. But the problem is my 2 year GC will expire on December next year, so what should I do? Can I still stay in my country with my family without the re-entry permit and mail the package for 10 year GC from my country? Or do I have other ways? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I believe if you stay out of the US for too long, USCIS will consider you "abandoned" and revoke your green card. 

Honestly, since your husband is going to be abroad working for the military, I recommend that he files expedited citizenship for you. You can get US citizenship in less than a year and then go join him wherever you want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-12-08 at 6:38 AM, Lee & Lei said:

I believe if you stay out of the US for too long, USCIS will consider you "abandoned" and revoke your green card. 

Honestly, since your husband is going to be abroad working for the military, I recommend that he files expedited citizenship for you. You can get US citizenship in less than a year and then go join him wherever you want.

How can she apply for citizenship on a conditional GC? She needs a unconditional GC to be able to apply for citizenship and she also need to have been a GC holder for 3 years in total.

Filed: Timeline
59 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

How can she apply for citizenship on a conditional GC? She needs a unconditional GC to be able to apply for citizenship and she also need to have been a GC holder for 3 years in total.

https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-military-personnel-family-members/citizenship-spouses-and-children-military-members

1 minute ago, Damara said:

Please explain to me as I dont get it.... So if you are a spouse of a active duty military memeber? You can apply for a citizenship? Even if you have been married for less than 3 years?

Filed: Timeline

Basically yes. Expand the boxes on the link above for more info. You have to meet the expedite criteria listed in the link above/ There is a special military phone number you can call to ask questions or there is also a special military person that helps with petitions. Your husband should know who this is/how to contact them. 

2 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Open the link given, select the box titled expedited citizenship for military spouses, read . 😁

Yes, thank you very much for explaining in detail for me ;) I sure couldnt have done this without your help..... lol

What I read in that link is that you can get it expedited? But I couldnt find anywhere that you could apply for citizenship if you had been married less than the 3 years? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017/12/23 at 5:42 AM, Damara said:

Basically yes. Expand the boxes on the link above for more info. You have to meet the expedite criteria listed in the link above/ There is a special military phone number you can call to ask questions or there is also a special military person that helps with petitions. Your husband should know who this is/how to contact them. 

Thank you so much for your answer but I have a question is that even my husband can't bring me with him to his next base, can I still apply for the expedite citizenship? Because I will stay in Taiwan while he is in lajes afb. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
On 1/15/2018 at 6:36 AM, millyshe5 said:

Thank you so much for your answer but I have a question is that even my husband can't bring me with him to his next base, can I still apply for the expedite citizenship? Because I will stay in Taiwan while he is in lajes afb. 

I believe so, yes. The primary requirement is that the US citizen petitioner is stationed abroad under official government orders, either as a government contractor or active duty military. It doesn't matter where you are -- BUT I am not sure if you will be able to accomplish tasks like the biometrics appointment and the interview itself being outside of the US. 

Edited by Lee & Lei

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 4:36 AM, millyshe5 said:

Did you figure out what to do? if your husband's Permanent Station is where you are now, you can stay there without being afraid of losing your GC status. Provided, you are on his orders. You can apply for the citizenship even  if he has to go and work in another country and you cannot join him, but his deployment should be TDY temporary duty and he should have at least a year left on his permanent assignment from the moment you file.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, millyshe5 said:

Hello everyone, 

i'm a military spouse with a 2 year green card, my husband gets an assignment to lajes base next year(2018/08~2019/08or longer),  I can't go with him there. So the question is do i need to apply re-entry permit to stay out of state?  Because I applied one to go back to my country while he is in kunsan from 2017/06~2018/06. But the problem is my 2 year GC will expire on December next year, so what should I do? Can I still stay in my country with my family without the re-entry permit and mail the package for 10 year GC from my country? Or do I have other ways? 

Military spouses are not required to obtain a re-entry permit nor are long stays out of the US counted against them.

I do not know the answer to removing conditions.  It was my impression that you need to apply in the US.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, Nitas_man said:

Military spouses are not required to obtain a re-entry permit nor are long stays out of the US counted against them.

I think you might mix something up.
If the service member gets stationed outside of the US and the spouse is with him ON HIS ORDERS, then you're right, and it counts as living on American soil.

OP wants to go to Taiwan because her spouse is on an UNACCOMPANIED tour. 
So a long stay outside of the US could affect the residency, because if a milspouse is not on orders the rules are just like for everyone else. 

Edited by TearsOfBabylon

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, Lee & Lei said:

I believe so, yes. The primary requirement is that the US citizen petitioner is stationed abroad under official government orders, either as a government contractor or active duty military. It doesn't matter where you are -- BUT I am not sure if you will be able to accomplish tasks like the biometrics appointment and the interview itself being outside of the US. 

I have to agree with TearsofBabylon on this. This only counts if the Spouse is on orders with the USC living outside of the country. It does not count if she just decides to stay in her own country to wait out the unaccompanied tour.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, Londonergirl said:

Yes, thank you very much for explaining in detail for me ;) I sure couldnt have done this without your help..... lol

What I read in that link is that you can get it expedited? But I couldnt find anywhere that you could apply for citizenship if you had been married less than the 3 years? 

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, Londonergirl said:

Yes, we went from A (Applying for K1) to Z (Citizenship) in just over two years.  The longest part of that timeline was the AoS which took 8 months.

From K1 submission to US Citizenship- 2 years, 1 month and 2 days!

K-1 Process
• 6 MAR 2012 - I-129F packet sent via FedEx overnight •

• 7 MAR 2012 - Packet received Dallas, Texas
• 12 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (Notice by Email: routed to the CSC)
• 15 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (received Official Receipt Notice (Form I-797))
• 12 JUN 2012 - NOA2 (Notice by text message and Email)
• 23 MAR 2012 - NVC received/forwarded approved I-129F
• 25 April 2012 - Interview and Visa Approved!
• 27 APR 2012 - Collected Visa at Embassy
• 29 MAY 2012 - Arrival in US after two weeks holiday together!
*It took 46 days from NOA1 to Visa pick-up and we received our NOA2 two weeks AFTER her arrival in States!

AOS Process
• 13 JUL 2012 - I-485 packet received at USCIS
• 23 JUL 2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485 and I-765 (we didn't do an AP)
• 10 AUG 2012 - RFE for Proof of Employment and Fed. Poverty Level/Support Requirement!(Active Duty Military but deployed last year with little taxable income to report)
• RFE Discussion--> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382590-any-other-military-members-have-this-happen/
• 16 AUG 2012 - USCIS received my RFE document response & Biometrics completed on same day
• 21 SEP 2012 - EAD Received after a total of 6 USCIS Status updates
• 8 MAR 2013 - USCIS received our AP I-131 Travel Doc that we didn't apply for initially (bad decision)
• 26 MAR 2013 - Email Notice that AP was approved
• 03 APR 2013 - Card in hand! (9+ months from application to receipt of card)

Removal of Conditions

• Skipped with Military expedite

Citizenship N400

• 20 JAN 2014 - Packet mailed

• 02 FEB 2014 - walk-in Bio appointment

• 24 MAR 2014 - Interview

• 08 APR 2014 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.