1,118 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, AJJ said:

Actually, we dont have it. and we cant make it now. As my dad is no more to sign the mc.

Unfortuantely, it looks like you are going to need it. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

image.thumb.png.aca84f0c5df05d0ef7dd9acb7e2e9512.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the 2018 Waiting Games.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, AJJ said:

Actually, we dont have it. and we cant make it now. As my dad is no more to sign the mc.

On this page there are instructions about what you should do if you cannot obtain a required document. See "Important Notice on Missing Documents."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, lindinhos96 said:

On this page there are instructions about what you should do if you cannot obtain a required document. See "Important Notice on Missing Documents."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

Also, when you submit your documents to NVC, they will probably list marriage certificate as one of the required documents. I guess it would be helpful to upload your explanation there, and also provide documents such as your father's death certificate to further support why you do not have the marriage certificate. I would also look at the NVC information on how to obtain a marriage certificate in your country because the state department might be aware that you cannot get a marriage certificate if someone is deceased. You can reference this in your explanation too, if it helps. I many countries it is possible to get a marriage certificate even after one person has died; I guess you have looked into this already and it is not possible in your country, but if not it is worth double checking. Good luck! https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, AJJ said:

About a decade ago, my uncle sponsored my grandmom from india. She didn't have her birth certificate and her marriage certificate and there was no way to obtain her birth certificate because it was never filed anywhere in the records. So instead, they just had two letters (affidavit of support) that were obtained from the people which were about 14-15 years older than her (as per requirement at the time) witnessed that they've known her all her life and claimed that they know when she was born. So technically that was her birth certificate.

Just like your case, my grandfather wasn't alive at the time. So there was no way to obtain their marriage certificate either. They just attached my grandfather's death certificate and letter of explanation why they don't have their marriage certificate. My uncle just attached his birth certificate to show that she's his mom. 

My grandmother didn't have any problem at all to obtain her visa. Immigration accepted everything without any question. 

So for your mom's petition just submit your father's death certificate and letter of explanation that your father is deceased and you can't obtain their marriage certificate. Make sure to sign and date the letter. Scan everything as one file. Upload and submit where they are asking for your parent's marriage certificate. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Maan17

On 7/12/2018 at 7:25 AM, lindinhos96 said:

I think it's a good idea to get the marriage certificate ready regardless of the visa type. On this page (which I think is general for immigrant visas and not specifically about spousal visas) it says that if you're married, you need to provide your marriage certificate. Good luck!

Thanks, I did call NVC, They said its not necessary as she is widowed. Death Certificate will suffice with two affidavits.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:55 AM, Maan17 said:

About a decade ago, my uncle sponsored my grandmom from india. She didn't have her birth certificate and her marriage certificate and there was no way to obtain her birth certificate because it was never filed anywhere in the records. So instead, they just had two letters (affidavit of support) that were obtained from the people which were about 14-15 years older than her (as per requirement at the time) witnessed that they've known her all her life and claimed that they know when she was born. So technically that was her birth certificate.

Just like your case, my grandfather wasn't alive at the time. So there was no way to obtain their marriage certificate either. They just attached my grandfather's death certificate and letter of explanation why they don't have their marriage certificate. My uncle just attached his birth certificate to show that she's his mom. 

My grandmother didn't have any problem at all to obtain her visa. Immigration accepted everything without any question. 

So for your mom's petition just submit your father's death certificate and letter of explanation that your father is deceased and you can't obtain their marriage certificate. Make sure to sign and date the letter. Scan everything as one file. Upload and submit where they are asking for your parent's marriage certificate. 

Good luck! 

Thanks, I did call NVC, They said its not necessary as she is widowed. Death Certificate will suffice with two affidavits.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:15 AM, ramesesthe2nd said:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, AJJ said:

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, ramesesthe2nd said:

Hi, when I look at this table for Child (under 21 and unmarried) column, there is no stick for Petitioner's marriage terminate record but if I look at the list per country, I saw this sentence:

"If you are the petitioner’s stepchild:  The original marriage certificate of the petitioner and your biological parent and a photocopy along with divorce records for any previous marriages of either parent."

Any idea if the original divorce records need to be prepared for the interview or a copy should be fine? Thanks.

4 hours ago, LinaHugo said:

Hi, when I look at this table for Child (under 21 and unmarried) column, there is no stick for Petitioner's marriage terminate record but if I look at the list per country, I saw this sentence:

"If you are the petitioner’s stepchild:  The original marriage certificate of the petitioner and your biological parent and a photocopy along with divorce records for any previous marriages of either parent."

Any idea if the original divorce records need to be prepared for the interview or a copy should be fine? Thanks.

They want to see original documents at the interview. I am quite positive that you will need to take the original divorce records with you. Call NVC and confirm. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the 2018 Waiting Games.

GUESS WHO GOT THEIR NVC WELCOME EMAIL TODAY :dancing: Took almost 12 weeks, and only after I called, asked what's going on, and had our case escalated to a supervisor. Hallelujah!

.... and of course now, when I have more than enough in my bank account to cover the fees, the site is down. Can't win'em all, I guess. Good luck, lovelies! 

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am uploading our documents to the CEAC site, and wanted to know if anyone uploaded additional documents in conjunction with what the NVC has requested.  If you did, what kind of documents?  more Pictures? more evidence?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.