Yace

K1 interview / income requirments

29 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Just to clarify a few points...

1. The I-134 is only a tool to help the CO assess the visa applicant's risk of becoming a public charge. While the 100% of the poverty level is typically the minimum they go by, they look at the totality of the circumstances.
  2. The I-864 for AOS will have a 125% minimum level. Again, they look at the totality of the circumstances.
  3. For income, they care about current income. However, establishing your current income level is usually the question. That's why the paystubs plus an employment letter come in handy. Some COs like to see a tax return as well for the I-134 (especially for non-wage earnings like bonuses/commissions/tips since they are not consistent paycheck to paycheck).
    1. In this particular case, I'm uncertain they will count the commissions and bonuses as they have not been established long enough for a baseline. But the base pay is likely sufficient, IMO, for the K-1 visa. For AOS, you may have filed for 2017 taxes by then and that would show the additional income being included.

Many Americans do have a degree. A degree is not a guarantee of a job by any means.

Future employability may be part of the consideration for the public charge concern, but has no bearing on current income.

Sorry...this is a public forum so be ready for all of the following: optimistic, pessimistic, and realistic responses. And some wise cracks occasionally... ;)

Ok so you would say that its likely that they will say Yes for the K1 

6 minutes ago, Yace said:

Ok so you would say that its likely that they will say Yes for the K1 

I'm saying I think your base pay would be sufficient for the public charge concern unless there's some reason for them wanting to see more (like a medical condition that has considerable out of pocket expenses).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

42 minutes ago, Yace said:

NOpeee No expenses No conditions :)

I say just relax.  Ultimately it is the CO's decision but you appear to be on top of the situation and in decent shape overall.  It isn't worth the stress.  Relax and make sure she is relaxed too!  If you look at the big picture, it is what it is.  Both of you stressing about something that you have no control over right now will not help either of you.  Relax, get her to relax and trust that your love will be able to weather any storm.  Worst case scenario will either be a issued and RFE or they can request a co-sponsor.  I honestly believe that the interview and approval will go smoothly.  You meet the minimum requirement and you have proof of ongoing income.  

Tell her that you love her and just allow her to relax.  If the CO questions the income, tell her to just be honest with them.  I truly believe the question won't even be asked.  Now relax and get ready because she will be coming to you soon!

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Yace said:

Hello guys!!! I am writing this post just because I am going through what seems to be the worst anxiety of my entire life. It has been almost 8 months since we filed for our K1. I am the American and her interview is 11-21-17 (6 days away) and I can't sleep at night I sometimes feel extremely sick to my stomach in fear that they will deny my Love's K1. Here's my financial situation: I was a student last year, and only worked a part time job making 10k and that was my tax return. However, I earned my degree and got a full time job at BMW and Porsche on February 6th 2017, with $11 an hour base pay 40 hours a week min and a lot of bonuses and commissions on top of that. I got a letter from the HR department and they addressed it to the embassy and said I am a full time permanent employee and make a projected $30,000 salary. My last three paystubs only show $18,600 to date gross pay 14.5k net since my hire date. So that would be like 22.3k more realistically from what they will see, because something messed up and I get 4 months worth of bonus checks next month. These checks were all my base pay. Bi-weekly roughly $900 net gross check. 690-720 net. So they don't see my bonus checks. I have 6.5k in my bank account and have no trouble living with what I make. However I am deathly afraid that they will look at it and look at my last years tax return and say no kid. Someone pleaaaassseeee please please encourage me so I can sleep these coming nights.. I literally cannot imagine what would would happen if they said no :(  I just want sleep and peace of mind. A lot of people said theres no reason to worry and they I am better off than a lot of people who have gotten accepted but I don't feel that way. Here is everything I sent her to take to her interview:

3 Recent pay stubs averaging $900 gross $695-710 net bi weekly

Form I-134 with my combined accounts at$ 6.5k dollars

Bank account opening date and most recent statement from last month.

PDF Showing that I have deposited 18.3k net in my account within 365 days betweed 10/31/16-17

My last years 10,000 dollar tax return

A signed letter explaining I was in college and that I make a projected 30k now

A copy of the degree I earned at my school for proof

A signed letter from my HR department stating I make a 11/h base pay as well as bonuses and commissions and that I make a projected 30,000 per year

A new letter of intent to marry my fiancé within 90 days of entering

A copy of our I-129F

A copy of NOA2

A copy of my passport bio page

Please help guys :( I hate reading the horror stories on this website I would love to be at ease in my heart for this next week with hope. Please pray for us!!

So your bi-weekly gross pay is $900 which roughly means $23400 a year. They mainly care about your current income, so the fact that your past income was low or you didn't have any income at all is not a big deal. It's advisable to have the last three years tax returns, but even if you don't have any, say because you weren't legally required to file (for low income, for example), then it'll be fine as long as you write a letter explaining so. In your case you have them, so you should be fine.

You also need a letter from your employer and a letter from your US bank, which you have, although given your current income they probably won't even care about any additional assets, but for sure it won't hurt to state them.

Finally, it's true that technically they only ask to reach the 100% of the poverty guideline at this stage, but it's highly advisable to get to the 125% because you're gonna have to get to it in a few months anyway and some embassies want to see it at this point.

Your fiancée should do fine at the interview given your financial situation and all the documentary proof you gathered, just make sure she doesn't  forget the other documents needed, like the Form DS-160 confirmation page and bar code, her passport, her original birth certificate, proofs showing an ongoing relationship, etc.

I hope I contributed at least a little to your peace of mind ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
5 hours ago, Yace said:

The Netherlands, We have been together in person for 7 months in total, 3 months last year 4 months this year, I also flew to her country and visited her family for two weeks with her.

I would not worry to much as your income level should be fine for the 100% poverty line mark :)

I have also read in reviews about the Swedish embassy(all Scandinavian have to go to Sweden for the interview <_<), that applicants have been able to bring bank statements, and documentation proving that they as the 'beneficiary' have stocks and assets. In have also read that it is very common at the Swedish embassy to be asked about the applicants educational level and work history/ planes for a carer in the US. 

What I am trying to say is that my imprecation is that sometimes (probably mostly in western European countries) applicants own current financial situation, and carer potential is considered (if you get the correct embassy officer). 
So if you want to lessen your anxiety, you should ask your fiance to prepare some document about his/her own financial/educations/career. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Simply put, to get approved for the K-1 Visa, you make enough money for her to pass the K-1 financial support portion of the K-1 Visa interview process.  They do require you to show proof of correspondence over the past 2 years.  They looked over my photo but actually kept the proof of correspondence.  However, for the AOS process, if you don't show at least $20,300 gross income on your last tax return, you will require a co-sponsor AT THE TIME OF FILING.  However, you can and you MUST include the employer written letter, ON COMPANY LETTERHEAD (COMPANY LETTERHEAD IS A MUST), about your projected annual income with your new raise.  Now just chill out and let it all roll off your back.  She's got this!  And just so you know, I JUST finished this process with my K-1 fiance (who is now my wife), so my information is current and accurate. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
7 hours ago, Shanne said:

So if you want to lessen your anxiety, you should ask your fiance to prepare some document about his/her own financial/educations/career. 

This isn't necessary.  The information about work history and education is submitted to the embassy already.   The questions in Stockholm are verbal and very informal.  

OP, relax and wait and see what happens.  I know that is really hard to do, but your income is what it is and there is nothing you can do to change it at this stage.  You have kind of a unique income situation, so no one can really tell you if it will be ok or not.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

When it comes to finances, things can be very stressful, but as long as you meet or are above the income requirement, there is nothing to really stress about.  As it was said before, you and your fiancé are both in a situation you can't really control.  You guys got this!  

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, Daniel P said:

So your bi-weekly gross pay is $900 which roughly means $23400 a year. They mainly care about your current income, so the fact that your past income was low or you didn't have any income at all is not a big deal. It's advisable to have the last three years tax returns, but even if you don't have any, say because you weren't legally required to file (for low income, for example), then it'll be fine as long as you write a letter explaining so. In your case you have them, so you should be fine.

You also need a letter from your employer and a letter from your US bank, which you have, although given your current income they probably won't even care about any additional assets, but for sure it won't hurt to state them.

Finally, it's true that technically they only ask to reach the 100% of the poverty guideline at this stage, but it's highly advisable to get to the 125% because you're gonna have to get to it in a few months anyway and some embassies want to see it at this point.

Your fiancée should do fine at the interview given your financial situation and all the documentary proof you gathered, just make sure she doesn't  forget the other documents needed, like the Form DS-160 confirmation page and bar code, her passport, her original birth certificate, proofs showing an ongoing relationship, etc.

I hope I contributed at least a little to your peace of mind ;)

We got approved today!

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, John & Rose said:

I say just relax.  Ultimately it is the CO's decision but you appear to be on top of the situation and in decent shape overall.  It isn't worth the stress.  Relax and make sure she is relaxed too!  If you look at the big picture, it is what it is.  Both of you stressing about something that you have no control over right now will not help either of you.  Relax, get her to relax and trust that your love will be able to weather any storm.  Worst case scenario will either be a issued and RFE or they can request a co-sponsor.  I honestly believe that the interview and approval will go smoothly.  You meet the minimum requirement and you have proof of ongoing income.  

Tell her that you love her and just allow her to relax.  If the CO questions the income, tell her to just be honest with them.  I truly believe the question won't even be asked.  Now relax and get ready because she will be coming to you soon!

K1 got approved in 10 minutes!! :) SOOOO HAPPY

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, GreatDane said:

You make enough annualized to pass this step of the process, but not necessarily enough to pass the additional income level requirement for AOS ($20,300). Your current net annualized puts you around 17,400-18460, depending on whether I used your current net in pay checks or the highest value of them ($710 bi-weekly, no time off). It might raise some questions with the officer. I would definitely recommend a co-sponsor given your situation, if that is an option.

They approved it no co sponser no problem!

4 hours ago, Yace said:

We got approved today!

K1 got approved in 10 minutes!! :) SOOOO HAPPY

Congratulations!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.