Boo4Bae

Can I do religious wedding in my country after getting K1 but before using it? (split

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 3/21/2011 at 12:09 AM, Lisa and Kano said:

I think that's a good idea. That way, you don't have to change your plans, you can have a ceremony and you'll be "spiritually" married or whatever, and you can just save the legal part for after the K-1 is granted. Start dress shopping, I'd say... :)

So if i do a religious ceremony and party in my country (beneficiary) and don't register my wedding here. and get married legally after in get k1. is it a valid option?

59 minutes ago, Boo4Bae said:

So if i do a religious ceremony and party in my country (beneficiary) and don't register my wedding here. and get married legally after in get k1. is it a valid option?

NO.

Also, this is an old thread. Please start your own.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Post split from 6 year old thread by another member.  Please ask your own questions in your own thread *****

Op, don't do a spiritual/ religious wedding or a party that looks like a wedding reception before you use your K1 and are legally married in the USA.  It is simply too risky- if anyone at the US embassy hears about it, or CBP when you try to enter the USA, they can revoke your visa for "being too married for the K1".   If you want a ceremony in your home country, you have two options:

1. Get legally married in your country, then go for the CR-1 spousal visa,

2.  Use the K1, get married in the USA, then when you hav your travl permit, return to your hom country for a honey moon and spiritual ceremony/ party.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boo4Bae said:

Its a tricky and risky option.. You are in a way trying to fool the consulate. I know many success stories.. but one incident where on of the person married in India and applied for K-1. I dunno how they found out or maybe a random check. consular officers went to check his neighborhood and found out from his neighbors that he was already married. His wife went for the k-1 interview and learned from CO about their investigation. They were denied and told them apply for CR-1. 

If you are marrying there then recommend CR-1.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, dnp2014 said:

Its a tricky and risky option.. You are in a way trying to fool the consulate. I know many success stories.. but one incident where on of the person married in India and applied for K-1. I dunno how they found out or maybe a random check. consular officers went to check his neighborhood and found out from his neighbors that he was already married. His wife went for the k-1 interview and learned from CO about their investigation. They were denied and told them apply for CR-1. 

If you are marrying there then recommend CR-1.. 

My case is even more critical, I am not married yet. Marriage is panned next year (technically a party for all relatives who cant attend marriage at USA). NOA 2 by current time span is supposed to arrive 1 month before marriage party and approximate date of Interview is almost after 2 weeks of our event.

Even  heard consulate goes to neighborhood for random check.

I am confused as i have 3 things coming in head:

1)Withdraw application and apply CR-1 (15 more months wait, too much)

2) See if interview comes before marriage party (but if consulate comes for testing he will find that event is already scheduled)

3) Wait till last moment to decide?

Edited by Boo4Bae
Spelling

If this marriage ceremony is that important to yall then have it and file for a spousal visa.

Why even risk a K1 denial?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 10/31/2017 at 5:14 AM, Boo4Bae said:

I suggest if you really want to have an event /ceremony with your family in your country, you can always have an engagement party and exchange rings :) 

You can have their blessings, and no violations :) Good luck

09 Dec 2016 - i-129F Package Sent
12 Dec 2016 - Case Received
17 Dec 2016 - NOA - 1

20 Mar 2017 - NOA - 2 Approved! 

06 Apr 2017 - NVC Receive and Case Number # 

11 Apr 2017 - Case In Transit

13 Apr 2017 - Case 'Ready'

20 Apr 2017 - Medical Checkup Done

03 May 2017 - Visa Interview - Approved

17 May 2017 - Visa Ready for Pickup! 

12 June 2017 - Port of Entry

*************** AOS **************

02 Aug 2017 -  Case Received for I-485, AP and EAD

08 Aug 2017 - NOA-1

28 Aug 2017 - Biometrics Appointment

01 Nov 2017 - EAD 'New card is being produced'

03 Nov 2017 - Card is mailed

08 Nov 2017 - Combo Card received

16 July 2018 - Filed for EAD/AP Renewal

26 Feb 2019 - Interview 

7 Dec 2020 - i-751 Filed

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 10/31/2017 at 12:22 PM, Boo4Bae said:

My case is even more critical, I am not married yet. Marriage is panned next year (technically a party for all relatives who cant attend marriage at USA). NOA 2 by current time span is supposed to arrive 1 month before marriage party and approximate date of Interview is almost after 2 weeks of our event.

Even  heard consulate goes to neighborhood for random check.

I am confused as i have 3 things coming in head:

1)Withdraw application and apply CR-1 (15 more months wait, too much)

2) See if interview comes before marriage party (but if consulate comes for testing he will find that event is already scheduled)

3) Wait till last moment to decide?

I know how important the Indian weddings are. I will suggest you make this an engagement party and just exchange rings, because legally you have to marry only in the US on K1 visa. You can get the cards reprinted and make alternate arrangements. 

If you already had an engagement ceremony before, you have to think about it then. But do not marry in India with a big ceremony. 

Good luck :) 

09 Dec 2016 - i-129F Package Sent
12 Dec 2016 - Case Received
17 Dec 2016 - NOA - 1

20 Mar 2017 - NOA - 2 Approved! 

06 Apr 2017 - NVC Receive and Case Number # 

11 Apr 2017 - Case In Transit

13 Apr 2017 - Case 'Ready'

20 Apr 2017 - Medical Checkup Done

03 May 2017 - Visa Interview - Approved

17 May 2017 - Visa Ready for Pickup! 

12 June 2017 - Port of Entry

*************** AOS **************

02 Aug 2017 -  Case Received for I-485, AP and EAD

08 Aug 2017 - NOA-1

28 Aug 2017 - Biometrics Appointment

01 Nov 2017 - EAD 'New card is being produced'

03 Nov 2017 - Card is mailed

08 Nov 2017 - Combo Card received

16 July 2018 - Filed for EAD/AP Renewal

26 Feb 2019 - Interview 

7 Dec 2020 - i-751 Filed

Timeline
11 hours ago, Ray&Ash said:

I know how important the Indian weddings are. I will suggest you make this an engagement party and just exchange rings, because legally you have to marry only in the US on K1 visa. You can get the cards reprinted and make alternate arrangements. 

If you already had an engagement ceremony before, you have to think about it then. But do not marry in India with a big ceremony. 

Good luck :) 

On 10/31/2017 at 11:05 PM, NuestraUnion said:

If this marriage ceremony is that important to yall then have it and file for a spousal visa.

Why even risk a K1 denial?

Hello,

I got NOA1 on August 4,2017. Still waiting for  NOA 2 and then Interview.

We calculated roughly 7 months (i.e. February 2018) for wedding party in India. My and My Fiance's family wanted to have traditional party n religious ceremonies on Valentines day. We all thought we be done with interview by that time so we booked halls and everything.

We consulted local immigration agents they said its fine to do religious ceremony as long as we don't register. 

As per US embassy  , marriages done in temple (Under Hindu marriage act) need a registration at govt office to make them valid, Temple certificate are not considered as marriage proof. Priest also agreed because he be doing only religious part no paper work involved.

But many pasts here are making me into dilemma about event.

Does counselor visits my town to assure that i am not married or i am engaged.

P.S. We had a good engagement party which both families and relatives attended. This valentine party is kind of formal treat to friends and other relatives. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Anything that looks like you are wearing wedding attire is not a good idea. 

True,

So what if we don't post pictures or details of event on any social network ?

Does counselor investigate at local level except for interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Boo4Bae said:

Hello,

We calculated roughly 7 months (i.e. February 2018) for wedding party in India. My and My Fiance's family wanted to have traditional party n religious ceremonies on Valentines day. We all thought we be done with interview by that time so we booked halls and everything.

We consulted local immigration agents they said its fine to do religious ceremony as long as we don't register. 

As per US embassy  , marriages done in temple (Under Hindu marriage act) need a registration at govt office to make them valid, Temple certificate are not considered as marriage proof. Priest also agreed because he be doing only religious part no paper work involved.

P.S. We had a good engagement party which both families and relatives attended. This valentine party is kind of formal treat to friends and other relatives. 

Having a wedding-like (even if not official) party or ceremony at any time before the beneficiary enters the US is risky. Even if it is done after the interview with the visa in hand, there is still the risk that an immigration officer at POE could determine you to be 'married' and deny the beneficiary entry to the US. I'm sure there are those who get away with having these kinds of ceremonies, but no one here will recommend that you try to have any kind of religious ceremony or party that looks anything like a wedding before entry to the USA.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

49 minutes ago, Boo4Bae said:

Hello,

If you have booked halls and things then it is sounding more like a traditional wedding than a party. hence my previous question, why risk it? What is more important to you? The family in India can wait for a traditional wedding.

Look, we are only telling what what we have seen here on VJ. There have been people denied K1 visas for such ceremonies. Do a search and you will find many cases. There is even a member here that got questioned and almost denied because she was a bridesmaid or something in a family member's wedding and the CO saw the pic accusing her of already being married.

I have only read of one time where a CO investigated a case of someone by interviewing a neighbor from a beneficiaries town so i can't say it will never happen.

Yes, you will find agents, lawyers, and such who will say it is fine but do a quick search on this site and you will find first hand account of how people were denied for having a ceremony.

In the end it is your decision, I just don't believe in given them any ammunition to deny you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In countries with a fair amount of fraud or terrorism they are more apt to dig deeper.  If they happen to go by your town and ask the people on the street and one of them says " why yes ,  I saw them both here for about a month when they had their wedding "    are you prepared for the disappointment of a denial,  possibly with the additional hassle of a misrep which would mean applying for a CR1 , interviewing , getting denied for the misrep and  then going through the waiver process ( I guess the upside is the wait for a visa would be more than 2 years and you would avoid ROC )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boo4Bae said:

True,

So what if we don't post pictures or details of event on any social network ?

Does counselor investigate at local level except for interview?

Can you 100% be sure that not a single person at your event will post anything on social media?

Will the invitations that are being sent out be wedding invites? 

How can you be sure not a single person at your wedding will believe it's not a wedding and tell everyone they know they went to your wedding? You can't stop what others will post of think.

It doesn't matter if this is done after visa is in hand as the at POE they will also question about your wedding plans. If on entry they see anything that looks like a wedding ring they can deny entry. If they find any posting on social media they can deny entry. 

I was even asked if my husband was there with me. I quickly answer that my fiance was there with his mom to help us move. They do try to trip you up at times and if I simply said yes he right there. They could have denied me entrance and voided my K1 visa. They don't need proof of marriage all they need is to think you may have gotten married and your toast.  

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.