Boo4Bae

Can I do religious wedding in my country after getting K1 but before using it? (split

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Boo4Bae, sounds like we're in similar situations. :) I too have an Indian fiance; we got NOA1 on 7/12/17 and are anxiously awaiting NOA2. We did have a ring ceremony back in May, but the intent was to formalize our engagement and celebrate that with his family and friends since many of them won't be able to travel to the US for the wedding. It was a fairly simple non-Hindu occasion, just a dinner at a local hotel's buffet hall. I wore a nice lehenga and we exchanged rings, but there were no vows or fancy decorations, and in no way was it intended to be a wedding. 

I chose to refer to the event in my K1 petition and include some photos of the it because I wanted to provide some evidence of a bonafide relationship, to show that our families and friends are aware of and support us. I know many people say not to have any ceremony of any kind at all before the K1 petition and that it can have an adverse effect, but I've read elsewhere that if you don't go by the local custom, they will question whether you have something to hide (especially if you have red flags). So I don't know. I did what I thought was best at the time. We'll see if I shot myself in the foot or not. Your mileage may vary depending on particulars of your case and the presence of any red flags.

As for a religious wedding before K1, I would echo what others are saying: don't do it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

Can you 100% be sure that not a single person at your event will post anything on social media?

Will the invitations that are being sent out be wedding invites? 

How can you be sure not a single person at your wedding will believe it's not a wedding and tell everyone they know they went to your wedding? You can't stop what others will post of think.

It doesn't matter if this is done after visa is in hand as the at POE they will also question about your wedding plans. If on entry they see anything that looks like a wedding ring they can deny entry. If they find any posting on social media they can deny entry. 

I was even asked if my husband was there with me. I quickly answer that my fiance was there with his mom to help us move. They do try to trip you up at times and if I simply said yes he right there. They could have denied me entrance and voided my K1 visa. They don't need proof of marriage all they need is to think you may have gotten married and your toast.  

You are correct.

Although its gonna be close family and friends only ceremony ca assure that they wont post anything.

But if counselor inspects at my hometown or neighborhood my neighbors will be knowing something like wedding happened that can cause issue.

I think i can manage at POE as they wont we (most probably) aware of event. My issue is consulate at embassy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Amit&Julie said:

Boo4Bae, sounds like we're in similar situations. :) I too have an Indian fiance; we got NOA1 on 7/12/17 and are anxiously awaiting NOA2. We did have a ring ceremony back in May, but the intent was to formalize our engagement and celebrate that with his family and friends since many of them won't be able to travel to the US for the wedding. It was a fairly simple non-Hindu occasion, just a dinner at a local hotel's buffet hall. I wore a nice lehenga and we exchanged rings, but there were no vows or fancy decorations, and in no way was it intended to be a wedding. 

I chose to refer to the event in my K1 petition and include some photos of the it because I wanted to provide some evidence of a bonafide relationship, to show that our families and friends are aware of and support us. I know many people say not to have any ceremony of any kind at all before the K1 petition and that it can have an adverse effect, but I've read elsewhere that if you don't go by the local custom, they will question whether you have something to hide (especially if you have red flags). So I don't know. I did what I thought was best at the time. We'll see if I shot myself in the foot or not. Your mileage may vary depending on particulars of your case and the presence of any red flags.

As for a religious wedding before K1, I would echo what others are saying: don't do it.

We have very same case.

I also used engagement pictures as Bonafide relationship proof. And it i think it wont be any issue for interview as we already decelerated our engagement event in form.

But Religious wedding is whats bothering me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Boo4Bae said:

You are correct.

Although its gonna be close family and friends only ceremony ca assure that they wont post anything.

But if counselor inspects at my hometown or neighborhood my neighbors will be knowing something like wedding happened that can cause issue.

I think i can manage at POE as they wont we (most probably) aware of event. My issue is consulate at embassy

They don't need to be aware of an event. You really are playing with fire here. 

You are expecting the NOA2 to come in a month before your wedding party.  Do you see what you are doing. You are calling it a wedding. This is a public forum and you can bet your last dollar that if they do any digging tis thread will show up. You're talking about it here. I bet you're talking about it in other places. Do you really want to play with fire? Cancel the wedding change the date something other then try to sneak it past the CO. They will know about it. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Dont be too scared. I know how indian traditions are, esp indian families where its difficult to let the bride leave country without a formal  social event. 

Consulates cant know everything about everyone, there's just no way possible. But they can certainly try doing things to trip you off.

I've heard of a case where the CO in an embassy called the fiance's friends just to confirm their bonafide relationship. 

They can surely take your parents number or your best friends number and just make a call asking' "what is the wedding date?". The'll just answer normally about the date and you might land in trouble. So just play safe and have a seeing off party with no rituals, and do not call it a wedding. Dont worry about dresses. Our indian dresses are always very fancy and dressy, be it a wedding or not :) 

09 Dec 2016 - i-129F Package Sent
12 Dec 2016 - Case Received
17 Dec 2016 - NOA - 1

20 Mar 2017 - NOA - 2 Approved! 

06 Apr 2017 - NVC Receive and Case Number # 

11 Apr 2017 - Case In Transit

13 Apr 2017 - Case 'Ready'

20 Apr 2017 - Medical Checkup Done

03 May 2017 - Visa Interview - Approved

17 May 2017 - Visa Ready for Pickup! 

12 June 2017 - Port of Entry

*************** AOS **************

02 Aug 2017 -  Case Received for I-485, AP and EAD

08 Aug 2017 - NOA-1

28 Aug 2017 - Biometrics Appointment

01 Nov 2017 - EAD 'New card is being produced'

03 Nov 2017 - Card is mailed

08 Nov 2017 - Combo Card received

16 July 2018 - Filed for EAD/AP Renewal

26 Feb 2019 - Interview 

7 Dec 2020 - i-751 Filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.