27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone!  I just wanna asked a help regarding on my issued about my visa.. I am already a VISA HOLDER for a k1. And my situation between my fiance is not going through,  his problem is he cant afford me to booked a ticket and he told me to end up our relation:( ...my question is. If i am not going to US do i need to surrender my visa?  And what if i meet somebody else someday do i need to wait the confirmation from the embassy  if i am able to re apply again?  Or do i need to wait couple years before i can apply again?.  Please i need a help what should i do to my visa since i cannot enter the US.  and still hoping to re apply a new visa someday in the future..  Thank u :(

Timeline
16 minutes ago, JFH said:

He's ending your relationship because he can't buy a plane ticket? I dint think he really wanted to marry you. If he did, he would sell his TV, borrow from a friend, deliver pizzas, drive for Uber, hold a yard sale to get the money to bring the person he supposedly loves more than life itself into the country. I think the plane ticket is just a cowardly excuse. You're better off without him. 

Your visa will expire so you don't need to do anything with it. 

Why are you already thinking about looking for another American to marry? 

I noticed that he has now many excuses..and i am glad i guess that we are nit meant to be because of his decission and changes with me..... I didnt say that im going to marry another american right away.  It takes a time for me to do  that. Im just thinking about in the future if i woud be in a relationship again.. 

But anyways.  Somebody told me that there is a process if i cannot go to US or not using the visa. They said i have to surrender my visa and the pocket to the embassy... And also i read in the previous post here that it needs to surrender and write a letter for them to tell the reason why i cannot used the visa. 

2 minutes ago, Che'lloyd said:

I noticed that he has now many excuses..and i am glad i guess that we are nit meant to be because of his decission and changes with me..... I didnt say that im going to marry another american right away.  It takes a time for me to do  that. Im just thinking about in the future if i woud be in a relationship again.. 

But anyways.  Somebody told me that there is a process if i cannot go to US or not using the visa. They said i have to surrender my visa and the pocket to the embassy... And also i read in the previous post here that it needs to surrender and write a letter for them to tell the reason why i cannot used the visa. 

You have 6 months to use the visa one time use only if not used it will expire.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Murph4865 said:

You have 6 months to use the visa one time use only if not used it will expire.

So it means i will not going to surrender my visa to the embassy?  ..but why some people say something about to surrender?  Is it sure that i dont have any problem in the future for not going to surrender it or something? 

Timeline
Just now, Che'lloyd said:

So it means i will not going to surrender my visa to the embassy?  ..but why some people say something about to surrender?  Is it sure that i dont have any problem in the future for not going to surrender it or something? 

Or Do i need to call the uscis to clarify about it?  

Your statements sure do make it sound like your goal is to get to the USA by one man or another. You even said you hope to get another visa one day. I don't know why you are so bothered about future K-1s. Focus on finding a man who loves you, don't focus on his nationality. 

You can contact the embassy if you wish but there's no requirement to do so. Plans change. Life happens. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

Your statements sure do make it sound like your goal is to get to the USA by one man or another. You even said you hope to get another visa one day. I don't know why you are so bothered about future K-1s. Focus on finding a man who loves you, don't focus on his nationality. 

You can contact the embassy if you wish but there's no requirement to do so. Plans change. Life happens. 

Ofcourse i am still  looking for the right one for me in the future since i failed my relationship with my x boyfriend now..just concern or asking in advance if this previous visa will affect in the future..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Che'lloyd said:

Ofcourse i am still  looking for the right one for me in the future since i failed my relationship with my x boyfriend now..just concern or asking in advance if this previous visa will affect in the future..

USCIS will have a record that you were a K1 visa holder before, should you apply for any immigration benefit in the future (or if someone else petitions you for a K1 in the future).

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

K-1 just expires and that's it, you should have an expiration date in your visa print inside your passport.

But if you want to confirm - do it with USCIS, you can even use that online advisor on their site.

Also I dont like to judge but making a statement that your potential future bf is going to be an UCS too sounds very shady.

Unless he cancels it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

9 minutes ago, Che'lloyd said:

Thank you so much:(, i guess i need to call the uscis tommorow to clarify  if i need to surrender my visa and my yellow pocket:(

You mistook my post and I apologize for not given more clarification. The reason I said "unless he cancels" it is reference to the visa will eventually expire. Obviously if he cancels it first then there is no need for it to expire as it will already be dead. 

You don't have to do anything. There is no surrendering your visa. The people who "told you" this likely have no thorough idea about immigration processes. US immigration is a highly complex process and unless someone specializes in it, most of the time "word of mouth" is simply hearsay. This hold true for immigrant rumors also which seem to have a lot a meaning to some people. But these are simply speculation that people outside of the process make.

Your visa in your passport is valid for 6 months. You can only use it ONCE. But once you use it it is DONE. If you are no longer with your ex then it is best to simply NOT go to the US with it and let it expire. 

If you do find a new love and he happens to be American, you will have to report this previous visa in your case. Now if you find a new love right away, as in the next few months, the you will have some serious red flags and scrutiny. Having two different people petition for you in such a short time is highly suspicious. Now if in the next couple of years you have another US citizen to file for a K1 then you should be fine.

If for some reason you attempt to use the current visa to enter the US without being in a relationship with your fiance, you will end up in more problems than it is worth. You will not be able to adjust your status without his help so you would basically be in the US illegally and be deportable.

Just keep the documents for your own records and go on about your life. No need to do more than you have to.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

From what I understand, you cannot use the K-1 visa to enter the US and marry anyone other that the person who originally applied.  Therefore, if your relationship is over, then the visa won't do anything for you in the long run. 

I-129F                                                                                                           AOS 

24/7/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX via FedEx                                          19/6/18   - AoS mailed to Chicago via FedEx
25/7/17 - I-129F received at Lewisville, TX                                                          20/6/18   - AoS received at Chicago. I-485/I-765/I-131
27/7/17- NOA1 Notice date on I-797C also via SMS and e-mail                      27/6/18   - check cashed by USCIS 

1/8/17 - NOA1 hardcopy via mail (hardcopy date: 27/7/17)                            28/6/18   - received NOA numbers for all three apps, "submitted date" says 25/6/18   
5/2/18 - NOA2 via SMS and e-mail and App                                                       
2/7/18     - received hardcopy NOA's for all three apps
7/2/18 - NOA2 hardcopy via mail (hardcopy dated: 2/2/18)                            6/7/18     - received letter with date for Biometrics appt            
13/2/18NVC received                                                                                           
9/7/18     - Biometrics appt            
16/2/18 - NVC case number assigned/Case left NVC, status 'In Transit'     
20/7/18   - Fingerprint Review was completed            
20/2/18 - Consulate received                                                                                 
25/7/18   - Update on Current Status on I-485: "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"       
8/3/18 - Medical                                                                                                      
 15 & 29/8/18; 12 & 26/9/18; 10/10/18;  - "We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time" email from USCIS  "We last took action on your case on 18 July 2018"    
23/3/18 - Interview & APPROVED!                                                                         16/10/18  - New card is being produced  (I-765) (text & email notification)
26/3/18 - Advanced Processing                                                                             17/10/18  - Approved Form I-131
27/3/18 - Issued                                                                                                        19/10/18  - Card was Mailed To Us ( I-765) (text notification)                          
3/4/18 - Visa in hand                                                                                                
20/10/18  - received hardcopy NOA's for I-765 & I-131 in mail
12/5/18 - POE                                                                                                            24/10/18 - received EAD/AP combo card in mail   

June 2018 - Wedding (L)                                                             7 & 21/11;5/12 2018;16 & 30/1/19; 27/2; 13/3; 8 & 22/5; 5 & 5 & 19/6 2019 -"We are still reviewing your case & there are no updates at this time" email from USCIS "We last took action on your case on 18 July 2018" 

June 2019 - One Year Anniversary (L)   

19/6/19   - 365 Days / 1 year since submitting AoS

3/7/2019 -"We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time"  email from USCIS "We last took action on your case on 18 July 2018" 

12/7/19  -  USCUS received renewal for EAD & AP; "received date" says 10/7/19   

18/7/19   - Fingerprint Review was completed for I-765

19/7/19   - received hardcopy NOA's for both EAD & AP 

26/7/19   - received letter from USCIS that biometrics approved (didn't have to go again, this was from last years appt)
                                                                                                                                     04/9/19
   - husband rang USCIS about AP and requested expedite for AP

04/9/19   - 15 minutes after checking the USCIS website where no change was listed, it said "Interview was scheduled".  Received email from USCIS later stating "Case Status: Testing & Interview" (438 days)

05/9/19   - received text saying case was updated and to check website 
                                                                                                                                     09/9/19   - received USPS Informed Delivery that USCIS letter would arrive today & it was in the post. Rec'd email from USCIS requesting more info for expedite AP request. Faxed info back immediately. 

10/9/19   - rec'd approval for I131 renewal; 18/9-USCIS email "new card ordered"' 21/9 -"Card/Doc Production"; 23/9-2 ltrs in mail from USCIS, card mailed via USPS (text/email notifications for all)
                                                                                                                     25/9/19    - new EAD/AP card rec'd
                                                                                                                     17/10/19  - Interview in NYC
                                                                                                                                    7/11/19 -  email to check status online, finally "Case was Approved" and "New Card is Being Produced" on site.  App still not updated. 12/11/19 - card was mailed to us; 13/11/19 rec'd tracking number  
                                                                                                                                    15/11/19 - received Green Card in mail
:dance:

4 hours ago, Che'lloyd said:

Hello everyone!  I just wanna asked a help regarding on my issued about my visa.. I am already a VISA HOLDER for a k1. And my situation between my fiance is not going through,  his problem is he cant afford me to booked a ticket and he told me to end up our relation:( ...my question is. If i am not going to US do i need to surrender my visa?  And what if i meet somebody else someday do i need to wait the confirmation from the embassy  if i am able to re apply again?  Or do i need to wait couple years before i can apply again?.  Please i need a help what should i do to my visa since i cannot enter the US.  and still hoping to re apply a new visa someday in the future..  Thank u :(

and maybe he has seen through that your love for him is more for his nationality then him as clearly you are making plans for another US Citizen!

You will likely get denied next time for a K1 as your goal will be visible to immigration too.  You may need to go for CR-1 next time.  Also, your next fiance will wonder if you are moving USC to USC!

Life is too short to not live it with someone who makes you feel wanted and loved.  Finding a USC likely much more older to you is not the way to go and doesn't help your fellow country people who have genuine relationships as it tars a nationality with the same brush.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.