2,948 posts in this topic

Just now, NeedMoreCoffee said:

did you get your biometrics notice in the mail yet? or do we even get 1 in the mail? i wanna do an early walk in on monday but i dont even have the official notice yet. just the one in my documents tab

i had printed the online version but then received the official one within a few days. they do accept the printed version because it also has the barcode

K-1 Journey

2015 01 14 : I-129F Mailed

2015 01 22: NOA-2

2015 03 09 : Packet 3 Received

2015 05 19 : Interview - PASSED (K-1 Visa Approved)

2015 08 19 : Arrived U.S.

2015 10 30 : Married :dance:

AOS Journey

11/05/2015: AOS Package Mailed

11/07/2015: AOS Delivered

11/15/2015: NOAx3 text and email received

11/18/2015: NOAx3 received via mail date 11/10/2015

11/26/2015: Received biometrics letter scheduled for 12/10/2015

12/10/2015: Biometrics completed

01/08/2016: Case status update I-485 "New card being produced"

01/10/2016: Case status update I-485 "Case approved"

01/12/2016: Case status update I-485 "My Card was mailed to me"

01/13/2016: Case status update I-485 "My Card picked up by USPS

01/15/2016: GREENCARD IN HAND!! DONE FOR NOW!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country:
Timeline

its crazy to see 22 months.. but when I do a search on the app for the numbers before me I already see a few with "document was mailed" status and I'm a november filer! 

I-751

ROC SENT:.......11/20/2017

NOA: ................01/12/2017

BIO.: .................26/12/2017

6 minutes ago, nompish said:

i had printed the online version but then received the official one within a few days. they do accept the printed version because it also has the barcode

lol just as i ask the question. i get email from USPS showing im getting a notice from USCIS (100% positive this is for the n-400 biometrics). nice. i was going to go anyway with the prinited version from the website but now it looks like im going with the original :D this is exactly 10 days after i filed. little update for @GoodbyeGirl :P 

Edited by NeedMoreCoffee

12 hours ago, lecilia said:

Hey so I filed my removal of conditions and got my extension letter Monday just been waiting am I suppose to file a N400? Or dont really know what I'm suppose to do or not kinda paranoid now 

When did you file for ROC? October of 2017 or 2018?

what happens if u dont file for N-400 And you just wait on the removal i dont think i can file it right now :( so paranoid 

1 hour ago, lecilia said:

what happens if u dont file for N-400 And you just wait on the removal i dont think i can file it right now :( so paranoid 

I believe you don't have to, you can just apply for naturalization sometime later or after 5 years since first GC was approved if you don't want to apply based on marriage anymore. Someone else please correct me if I am wrong!

23 hours ago, lecilia said:

22 hours ago, FoundingMother said:

I believe you don't have to, you can just apply for naturalization sometime later or after 5 years since first GC was approved if you don't want to apply based on marriage anymore. Someone else please correct me if I am wrong!

You don't have to file for N-400 but a lot of people do it as soon as they can, even if their ROC is still pending because one application has nothing to do with the other. You can apply as soon as 90 days before your "anniversary" of GC. If your ROC is still pending and you file for N-400, your ROC may be combined with N-400 interview (hence, you may never receive your GC, just naturalization). You can also wait to receive your GC to file n-400, totally up to you. You can file based on 3 year (marriage-based) rule or 5 year rule, both calculated from the time you received your first GC. if you wait 5 years, you don't have to provide as many documents as with the 3 year rule.

In conclusion, you can apply for N-400 as soon as you can, wait months/years to apply or not apply at all. I hope this helps!

AOS i-130, i-485 & i-765 in New York (Queens field office)

12/29/2014 - Priority Date; receipt number starting with MSC

1/2/2015 - Fingerprint fee accepted

1/26/2015 - Case suspended - RFE sent out

2/3/2015 - Fingerprint done at Jamaica Center, Queens

2/11/2015 - RFE received - Case resumed

3/2/2015 - EAD ordered

3/13/2015- EAD card mailed out -- received it 3 days later

7/8/2015 - AOS interview ready to be scheduled for an interview

9/27/2015 - AOS Interview scheduled for Nov 3

11/3/2015 - AOS interview

12/11/2015 - APPROVED!!!

ROC (Vermont Service Center)

10/3/2017 - Sent out ROC package to VSC

10/6/2017 - Date on NOA (Received NOA on 10/16/2017)

11/6/2017 - Biometrics done

8/15/2018 - Extension letter for 18 months received

12/28/2018 - APPROVED! (No RFE, No Interview) 🤸‍♀️ 

1/7/2019 - GC delivered

N-400 (Queens field office)

1/22/2019 - N400 delivered to Dallas, TX.

1/25/2019 - Check cashed

2/12/2019 - Biometrics appt

8/26/2019 - Interview scheduled

10/3/2019 - Interview - APPROVED

10/30/2019 - Oath

On 10/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, lecilia said:

You don't have to file at all. Not now, not in 5 years, not ever. There are a lot of people in the US who have permanent residency but never file for naturalization. Some people are just not interested in becoming a citizen. Others can't be dual citizens and don't want to give their original one. Having a green card or being the citizen is almost the same. You can't vote with a GC and you can't leave the US for more than 6 months in a year. Even the latter is not true, if you want to travel longer or if you want to move abroad, you can ask for permission and leave (I know people living abroad for years with a GC!). So it is up to you. Many people in this group want to be citizens and want to file as soon as they can, especially since ROC is dragging. I always wanted to be a citizen and getting it as soon as possible is very important for a husband (and I would love to vote in 2020). But no naturalization is not obligatory. You don't have to do it at all. Or you can do it in years. There is a woman in the October N-400 filers group who has been a resident since the 90s but only applying for citizenship now.

I am an October filer and i ve never riceived the 18 months extension letter, I just called USCIS and they told me that I can travel overseas with expired green card and expired extension letter ( I do have the 12 months extension)....is that correct?

Thank you!

Edited by ros88

2 minutes ago, ros88 said:

I am an October filer and i ve never riceived the 18 months extension letter, I just called USCIS and they told me that I can travel overseas with expired green card and expired extension letter ( I do have the 12 months extension)....is that correct?

Thank you!

I wouldn't trust in what they're saying. I just came back from Canada with a valid 6 month stamp, expired card and still valid extension letter. Lady at the border questioned why my Green Card is cut in the corner.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey Guys, 

How long is it taking to get the biometric appointment letter after filing for the N400? I'm eligible as of last few days (Oct filer i751/18 months extension letter/CA) and wondering if I should apply N400 now or wait till early Dec as I will be traveling out of the country mid Nov till beginning of Dec and won't be able to do the biometric appointment during those weeks.

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, vi__vi said:

Hey Guys, 

How long is it taking to get the biometric appointment letter after filing for the N400? I'm eligible as of last few days (Oct filer i751/18 months extension letter/CA) and wondering if I should apply N400 now or wait till early Dec as I will be traveling out of the country mid Nov till beginning of Dec and won't be able to do the biometric appointment during those weeks.

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

mine took 10 days 

On 10/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, GoodbyeGirl said:

Hey @Vincent Chu, missed you around here. :) 

I was very interested to read about your experience - I feel your frustration at the ASC office. I was one of the lucky ones and got the certified 18-month extension letter. Boy, was I grateful I didn't have to tackle the courtesy copy problem. It's not been too bad either at my local office when it comes to getting appointments and being seen (fairly) quickly. But, so far I've gone in with hopes for progress and come out quite deflated at the lack of action. 

What date do you file for N400? @nompish created a thread for October 2018 filers. Come play!

Thanks @GoodbyeGirl!  The date we can file for N-400 was 10/26 (last Friday).  TBH, we're still on the fence on whether we should file and if so... when... for a couple reasons...

1. Hearing that maybe are getting combo interviews I-751 and N-400, it's sounding like that is a chance that the 10-year GC may not be produced at all.  (Sounds silly, but for sake of posterity -- kind of still want that GC 😋)  I've heard it go both ways on the combo thread.
  2. My wife has obviously started to study, but we don't have a good idea of lead time from applying online > interview.  She wants to feel prepared before we submit the online N-400 application.

I suppose will need to do more research and join the N-400 thread (thanks for sharing!) anyways to observe timelines to answer our question for item (2).  Obviously don't want to take this thread off topic -- but is there a rule of thumb on how long from N-400 to Interview?

Edited by Vincent Chu

D&V Chu

K-1 Journey:
D (Hong Kong applicant) & V (US Citizen Petitioner) @ Seattle
***Commenced K-1 Fiance Visa Process on 11/28/14 and Completed K-1 Fiance Visa Process on 04/02/2015 - Timespan for K-1 Visa = 125 days (4 months)

***Commenced Adjustment of Status (AOS) Process on 06/09/2015 and Completed Adjustment of Status (AOS) Process on 02/03/2016 - Timespan for I-551 = 240 days (8 months)

***Commenced Removal of Conditions (ROC) Process on 10/25/2017 and Completed Removal of Conditions (ROC) Process on 10/23/2019 - Timespan for ROC and 10-year Green Card = 728 days

***Commenced Naturalization N-400 Process on 07/14/2019

2019 Jul 14 - N-400: D submited N-400 application, paid filing fee on USCIS Online Filing website.  IOE Receipt number issued.

2019 Jul 29 - N-400: D received official I-797C, Notice of Action for Biometrics appointment via mail - 15 days

2019 Aug 08 - N-400: D completes Biometrics Appointment at USCIS ASC Seattle (Tukwila, WA) - 10 days

2020 Dec 14 - N-400: D received official I-797C, Notice of Action for Interview Appointment on 01/05/2021 - 4 days

2020 Jan 01 - N-400: Processing time during COVID-19 Pandemic ~16 months

2021 Jan 05 - N-400: D attended N-400 Naturalization Interview at USCIS Seattle Field Office (Tukwila, WA) - 20 days

2021 Jan 05 - N-400: D passed interview/test, was recommended for Approval and scheduled for same day Oath Ceremony.

***Completed Naturalization N-400 Process on 01/05/2021 - Timespan for US Citizenship = 415 days

N-400 July / August 2019 Filers

N-400 Seattle Tracker

On 10/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, ros88 said:

Thank you!

didn't receive the 18 month extension letter when it seemed as if every one else was. So I went to the USCIS website and submitted a case inquiry. I stated that I had not received the 18 month letter. I recieved an email a few days later saying that the extension letter would be 're-sent.' I even called as well to double check that it was the 18 month that was being sent to me and not the 12 month letter again. I recieved the letter in the mail a few days letter. As my 12 month letter expires in early December too, my backup was an Infopass appointment to have my passport stamped which would have granted the extension. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.