Matt_Stevens

What documents do I need to marry my gal IN China? She is a Chinese citizen.

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all, I have searched but must be using the wrong search terms. My longtime girlfriend and I were married in Las Vegas last October. We had each been going back and forth and while visiting family in Vegas just knew and we went and did it. :) 

I am going to move to China in October (we will stay there for 3 years and then go to the states for her son to attend high school) and we will need to be married in China. I have a 10 year visa, but I have to leave every 90 days, a royal PITA (not to mention it's expensive). So we want to get married IN China so that I can get a different visa or resident permit. 

I can drive to the Chinese embassy in DC next week but I am not sure what i need to do or what I should ask for,. I would appreciate some advise. 

My wife is a Chinese citizen. I am a U.S. citizen, born and raised here. We will live in Kunming. 

Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

If you've already gotten married in the States, aren't you married? is it even possible to get married again? can you somehow register your existing marriage with Chinese authorities?

Agreed as mentioned above. Married is married. It is universal. It doesn't end once you step off US soil.

She should look into registering your current marriage in China.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 minutes ago, Matt_Stevens said:

Marriage here is not valid in China until proven IN China. I will not be able to get a waiver on my visa until this is taken care of. But trying to understand how is the problem. I need clarification or answers from someone who is 100% certain of the facts. 

But that still doesn't mean you have to marry again in China. Is just means you have to show proof of your marriage.

A simple marriage cert should suffice?

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your U.S. marriage is valid for CR-1 purposes, but getting married in China is probably a good idea. You should go to the China portal on this website and discuss with people that have experience in China. I have some experience there. You need to start with going to the U.S. embassy in China (probably Beijing). You will need to get an appointment and take the appointment letter with you. Embassy Row in Beijing is a crazy place, but easy to find U.S. embassy because of all the people standing outside trying to get in. The embassy staff will advise you and your wife. The wife will need to get certain papers translated and stamped. Prepare to pay a lot of $$$ for this. It's a lengthy process, but not a difficult one. You have plenty of time, especially since you will be living there. Again, search the China portal on this website. Good luck!

School me on this, please.

Is it a requirement to marry again in China for some reason? I have visited China for work and the company I work for has several manufacturing facilities there. Say, for example, my company wanted to transfer me to China and I wanted to take my wife (and say my wife an I have been married for 20 years), you are saying we have to marry again there?

Forgive the questions... just trying to wrap my head around this logic.

Gang, we are getting hung up on semantics. I can only repeat what I was told while in Kunming, by someone who's English wasn't very good. Obviously things get lost in translation. What she did make clear was that I had to go to the U.S. Embassy and bring my "paperwork" with me. What paperwork? She didn't know and told me to call the Embassy. i did and unfortunately their English was terrible, lol! I couldn't make them understand. 

What do you mean by China Portal? I thought I was in the China section? 

Going to the Embassy in Beijing is something I'd like to avoid, simply because of the great expense involved. Roundtrip airfare, hotel, etc. will add up and the expense of flying to Kunming in October is enough, plus we have to fly to Shanghai for a wedding! Oh brother, we are paying a fortune in airline fees this year.

Added info... I see the China Portal, but I do not see how to actually post in it. 

Also, I think maybe what I need is for our marriage certificate to be authenticated. I found this page here from a Visa service...

http://www.visarite.com/authentication_marriage_certificate.htm

Maybe this is what the lady in Kunming was talking about. ??? I tried calleding the Embassy and it's been busy busy busy. I suppose I can try again tomorrow morning. 

Wow, I wish I could edit posts. I am sorry about having to post again.... More information i have found:

I spoke to the visarite.com people and they said I need my marriage cert to be sent to the Nevada Secretary of State for "authentication of marriage certificate in China" but the issue is Googling this only returns results regarding "apostille" which is not valid in China. As I type this I am trying to navigate the Secretary of State phone menus, but holy cow, it's a muddy mess. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Matt_Stevens said:

Added info... I see the China Portal, but I do not see how to actually post in it. 

Also, I think maybe what I need is for our marriage certificate to be authenticated. I found this page here from a Visa service...

http://www.visarite.com/authentication_marriage_certificate.htm

Maybe this is what the lady in Kunming was talking about. ??? I tried calleding the Embassy and it's been busy busy busy. I suppose I can try again tomorrow morning. 

To me, that sounds like what the person in Kunming was referring to.  Calling the Embassy is a waste of time, you're probably not going to get through and if you leave a message, your call won't be returned.

3 hours ago, Matt_Stevens said:

Wow, I wish I could edit posts. I am sorry about having to post again.... More information i have found:

I spoke to the visarite.com people and they said I need my marriage cert to be sent to the Nevada Secretary of State for "authentication of marriage certificate in China" but the issue is Googling this only returns results regarding "apostille" which is not valid in China. As I type this I am trying to navigate the Secretary of State phone menus, but holy cow, it's a muddy mess. 

Personnel in the division that deals with these matters in the Nevada Secretary of State's office will know what needs to be issued; it won't be an "apostille" but it will be valid for what you need it for.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

In order to get married in China, you would need a "single certificate" - a certified statement that you are NOT married. In your case, you ARE already married. Forget it.

the marriage certificate will need to be certified by the Secretary of State in Nevada, and sent to the Chinese consulate for Nevada for certification there.

To authenticate your marriage certificate for use in China (the link may be out of date, but the quote from it is not)

Notarization/Authentication Guidelines

Authentication

In accordance with international practice and consular practice in China, the purpose of consular authentication is to ensure that notarial deeds issued in one country can be acknowledged by relevant authorities in another country, and the deeds can have its due legal effect, which shall not be affected by doubts on the authenticity of the seal or signature on the deeds.

The Chinese Embassy in the United States can authenticate notarial deeds and other documents issued by relevant authorities of the United States for use in China. The deeds or documents should be certified by the Authentication Office of the U.S. Department of State first.

Note that this MAY NOT BE NECESSARY, if a Chinese-language translation of the document is accepted.

One other thing is that the Chinese consulate will expect a "fresh" copy (less than six months old) of the marriage certificate.

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline

Once you are married, the PSB will be able to issue a residence permit or visa that will allow you to stat without having to leave and re-enter. Talk to them about what they can do for you.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing

Timeline

Here is the up-to-date link - http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/t907716.htm

You WILL want the certified copy, as it will be required in many situations. A Chinese translation of the marriage certificate will ALSO be useful.

玉林,桂 resident

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.