Nazokat

I'd like to create a topic about case status on CEAC

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

The CEAC system has been updated with the case data. Interestingly this was made available at the exactly the same date as last year, and the year before.

This confirms my suspicion that there is a logic switch to only make the 2017 data available from 2017 (in pseudo code, show DV year data where year <= year extracted from sysdate). This is really BIZARRE programming – and as I have stated before the US government really needs some help on their IT side!!!

Anyway – a recap for those that are not aware of what the CEAC data is. CEAC is a government database/web page that allows people to enter their case number and get some basic status information. The site can be access at this link and you can enter the case number without leading zeros. So – if your number is 2017AF00012345, you would enter that as 2017AF12345. If you enter a real case (not a “hole”) a window pops up with some basic case status information. From this, for cases which are scheduled,  we can see the number of derivatives on each case, the embassy, the original entry date, last updated date and so on.

So what do the status codes mean.

The first status for every case is “AT NVC. You can ignore the text on the case – the case has not been passed to NVC.  What this status means is that the case is in one of the following situations.

1. The case is not yet current.
  2. The case is current, BUT the DS260 has not be submitted at all, or it was submitted but not processed yet – and therefore not scheduled.
  3. The case is current, the form is processed, but it is waiting to be scheduled (typically because the cases have not yet been sent to the embassies yet).

“In Transit”

This status is shown for a brief period when KCC has scheduled the interview, and transferred the case to the embassy. However, the embassy has not yet updated CEAC to acknowledge they have received the case.

“READY”

This is the next status after in transit. It means the case has arrived at the embassy for interview. Sometimes a case will continue to show ready even after the interview.

“Issued”

Pretty obviously – this is the status we all want to see! The interview took place, was successful and the visa has been approved/issued.

“Refused”

This is the status no one wants to see, meaning the interview took place and the selectee was denied. A derivative can be refused, while the principal is approved. However, if the principal is refused – all the derivatives are refused also – even if the embassy fails to update CEAC.

“Administrative Processing”

This is when someone did not have all the documents at the interview OR some additional checks are needed before the case can be adjudicated. AP can last a few days or several months. The status updates during that time are meaningless.

Derivative number.

For cases that are scheduled we can see the related derivative numbers. Case 01 is the principal and derivatives are case 02, 03 and so on.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Great idea! Thanks for posting, just to add to the above: 

"Application Received" - I've seen a lot of posts about this, with people worrying about this status, I was also one of them. This was the status mine changed to after my interview, I believe it's just them preparing your application for the visa and you should see it change to "Administrative Processing" shortly after this! In my case, it stayed like this for 2 days, but I've seen others who were a week or so! Depends on the embassy and how busy they are I guess! 

Edited by Yaztalksalot

:wub: Immigration & Expat Blog Links :wub:

My Full K1 Fiance Visa Journey

January 2017 Filer

K1 Approved on the 30th of June 2017 (6.5 months in total, no RFEs).

AOS Journey 

October 2017 filer

EAD/AP Approved December 2017 (75 days, no RFEs)

AOS Approved 8/15 (no RFEs) 

Living in the US

Info on getting set up

wedding planning

homesickness & everyday life

To add that every visa applicant goes through administrative processing, no matter approved or denied. It's part of the process, to gather your visa package. It's mostly just a couple of days or less but the status does change if regularly checked and it can stress people out when they have no clue what all means. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

When approved and not missing any documents, administrative processing is a good thing. It means they are assembling your visa package.

When denied or when you are missing documents (221g), it's less of a good thing. Additional processing is needed. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Should note that it says "No Status" if you use the DS-160/260 confirmation number in place of the case number, however it does show date received.

I believe this is default after form submission.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Dutchster said:

When approved and not missing any documents, administrative processing is a good thing. It means they are assembling your visa package.

When denied or when you are missing documents (221g), it's less of a good thing. Additional processing is needed. 

I don't mean administrative processing i mean application received ? My status go from ap to ar and then back to ap

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
On 7/21/2017 at 5:45 AM, Nazokat said:

The CEAC system has been updated with the case data. Interestingly this was made available at the exactly the same date as last year, and the year before.

This confirms my suspicion that there is a logic switch to only make the 2017 data available from 2017 (in pseudo code, show DV year data where year <= year extracted from sysdate). This is really BIZARRE programming – and as I have stated before the US government really needs some help on their IT side!!!

Anyway – a recap for those that are not aware of what the CEAC data is. CEAC is a government database/web page that allows people to enter their case number and get some basic status information. The site can be access at this link and you can enter the case number without leading zeros. So – if your number is 2017AF00012345, you would enter that as 2017AF12345. If you enter a real case (not a “hole”) a window pops up with some basic case status information. From this, for cases which are scheduled,  we can see the number of derivatives on each case, the embassy, the original entry date, last updated date and so on.

The first status for every case is “AT NVC. You can ignore the text on the case – the case has not been passed to NVC.  What this status means is that the case is in one of the following situations.

2. The case is current, BUT the DS260 has not be submitted at all, or it was submitted but not processed yet – and therefore not scheduled.
  3. The case is current, the form is processed, but it is waiting to be scheduled (typically because the cases have not yet been sent to the embassies yet).

“In Transit”

This status is shown for a brief period when KCC has scheduled the interview, and transferred the case to the embassy. However, the embassy has not yet updated CEAC to acknowledge they have received the case.

“READY”

This is the next status after in transit. It means the case has arrived at the embassy for interview. Sometimes a case will continue to show ready even after the interview.

“Issued”

Pretty obviously – this is the status we all want to see! The interview took place, was successful and the visa has been approved/issued.

“Refused”

This is the status no one wants to see, meaning the interview took place and the selectee was denied. A derivative can be refused, while the principal is approved. However, if the principal is refused – all the derivatives are refused also – even if the embassy fails to update CEAC.

This is when someone did not have all the documents at the interview OR some additional checks are needed before the case can be adjudicated. AP can last a few days or several months. The status updates during that time are meaningless.

Derivative number.

For cases that are scheduled we can see the related derivative numbers. Case 01 is the principal and derivatives are case 02, 03 and so on.

Are you sure that all cases are refused because the principal states so? My derivative 02 states ready. My K1 fiance was told the medical had not been received and he was instructed to submit additional proof of relationship at the interview 2 weeks ago. The data was just sent today so they don't have all the pieces to make a final call.

Timeline
4 hours ago, FKVAL_05 said:

My status was issued but then changed to application received after 8 days. Is that normal?

No not normal i guess from when u r in ap?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 7/21/2017 at 2:45 AM, Nazokat said:

“In Transit”

“READY”

“Issued”

“Refused”

Derivative number.

Sometimes a 221G will show the status of Refused, other times it will show Admin. Processing. Going by the most technical of terms a 221G is a refusal, but it is often just a conditional refusal based on the requirement of more information. 

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

Timeline
12 minutes ago, FKVAL_05 said:

It was in AP for two days thereafter it changed to ISSUED, then yesterday it changed into application received. 

What the co told u ??

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mohd Al Said said:

What the co told u ??

The CO told us that we're approved. And everything just went fine then all of a sudden out of nowhere our status changed into AR, but we called the embassy Hotline and they said that it is confidential. 😞 We just have to wait two business days for their email.

Timeline
9 hours ago, FKVAL_05 said:

The CO told us that we're approved. And everything just went fine then all of a sudden out of nowhere our status changed into AR, but we called the embassy Hotline and they said that it is confidential. 😞 We just have to wait two business days for their email.

Dont worry give them 2 weeks and everything will be ok

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.