dwheels76

NVC Filers - July 2017

435 posts in this topic

Hello, I have ANOTHER question, my dad was diagnosed with cancer today. I am the applicant. Can I expedite on those grounds? My case has been at the NCV for almost 14 weeks, its on supervisor review now i still have 3 weeks left on the 6 week extended time. Only the sponsor's can get it expedited?

3 hours ago, E&N said:

Hello, I have ANOTHER question, my dad was diagnosed with cancer today. I am the applicant. Can I expedite on those grounds? My case has been at the NCV for almost 14 weeks, its on supervisor review now i still have 3 weeks left on the 6 week extended time. Only the sponsor's can get it expedited?

My dad is in Mexico Iam in the US, if I have a CC soon and an appointment it'll be great to see him. How soon can I get an appointment if I get approved? What are my chances? 

received my case # and IIN # yesterday.. I am filling DS 261 (I am beneficiary).  

I wanted to confirm if I can choose petitioner as agent.? want to make sure before I hit on 'Sign and Submit' :) 

Naturalization - N-400 Timeline

09/09/2020 - N-400 filling done online

09/09/2020 - NOA online

02/11/2021 - Bio Reuse

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
25 minutes ago, NihalV said:

received my case # and IIN # yesterday.. I am filling DS 261 (I am beneficiary).  

I wanted to confirm if I can choose petitioner as agent.? want to make sure before I hit on 'Sign and Submit' :) 

Yes, you can. I am the "agent" as the petitioner.

19 hours ago, JBMG said:

If you have a paid all fees, and you have your Case number/Welcome letter on the front of your paperwork, you can send it in. :)  I didn't wait it for it to say "paid" The day after I mailed in my docs, it changed fro "in process" to "paid" 

have you read the first few pages of this forum? Def advise doing that before sending in your packet to make sure you have no errors, especially the following forum. 

Thank you! I called to ask why my payment status hasn't changed.  He told me the website maintenance might have slowed it down.  She said it's totally ok to send in the docs as soon as you pay both fees.  She said that's what the majority of people do. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
3 hours ago, NihalV said:

once that's completed, call the NVC on Monday to have them approve it over the phone. This will save you about 3 weeks processing time.. Once approved you should be able to start paying your fees. ;) 

10 hours ago, JBMG said:

once that's completed, call the NVC on Monday to have them approve it over the phone. This will save you about 3 weeks processing time.. Once approved you should be able to start paying your fees. ;) 

Ohh... 🤔Thats why I am not seeing any tab for fees;

no option for AOS fees or IV fees... Thanks 👍

Edited by NihalV

Naturalization - N-400 Timeline

09/09/2020 - N-400 filling done online

09/09/2020 - NOA online

02/11/2021 - Bio Reuse

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Called the NVC last week with my questions, and am passing along their response in case anyone is or will be in a similar situation with similar questions, and also to encourage anyone who already successfully navigated our situation to share their own experiences:

On 7/3/2017 at 9:27 PM, JOL said:

1) Form I-864, Part 2, Item 7 requires the principal immigrants phone number, which the forms instructions state should include the area code, but the PDF only allows entry of US phone numbers (i.e. 10 digits, including area code) and my spouses phone number is 11 digits (including country code; 8 digits without country code) so I cannot type it on the PDF.  Also, for some reason, the data I input for this field--and ONLY this field--is displays and prints in purple rather than black.  Should I just fill this in by hand after printing out the parts entered via the PDF, or will that cause problems with the 2D barcode, since it (obviously) cannot record data entered by hand?

The NVC customer service representative told me that, despite the 2D barcode that alters as it records the information input, the I-864 was not designed for electronic completion, so completion by hand is recommended.  She verified that typing data into the pdf is still permissible where possible, but the bar codes inability to record data handwritten on the form is not a problem. 

2) Form I-864, Part 5 states, "Do not count any person twice," but at Item 6 it further states, "If you are currently married, enter '1' for your spouse."  Since this is an IR-1 Visa, my spouse was already auto-populated to Part 6, Item 1 as the principal immigrant, but I do not see anything on Form I-864 actually identifying her as my spouse, and we ARE married, so I do not want to make (much less swear, under penalty of perjury) a false statement by entering "0" in Item 6.  At the same time, we are not supposed to leave any fields blank, so that is not an option either.  Since literally every single person who has successfully petitioned for an C/IR-1 visa has encountered this same problem, I would like their (i.e. YOUR) suggestions on how to address it.

The NVC customer service representative verified that sponsors of spousal immigrants will not commit perjury nor otherwise prejudicing their case by filling in "0" for their spouse already counted in their household size as the immigrant applicant.

3) The checklist in the instructions for Form I-864 states,

For ALL sponsors:

A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement
and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file.

with no mention of tax transcripts (though the earlier instructions for specific parts of Form I-864 do explicitly cite tax transcripts as an acceptable alternative to tax returns.)  Is this just an oversight, or must copies of tax returns, W-2s and all attached schedules be included even if tax transcripts for all applicable years are already included?  Same question for the Form I-864 instructions about Household Members, which state the same requirement in precisely the same language (i.e. omitting all reference to tax transcripts.) 

The NVC customer service representative initially thought I was referring to the instructions specific to sponsor income (i.e. page 6 of the instructions, covering Part 6, Items 1-20 of Form I-864) but once I clarified that I was referring to the instructions' concluding checklist (i.e. page 16 of the instructions) she confirmed that EITHER tax returns OR transcripts are acceptable (as stated in the instructions for Part 6 of Form I-864,) not tax returns ONLY (as stated in the instructions checklist.)

Now the tricky one:

5) Form I-864A, Part 4, Item 1 has a checkbox for "I have filed a Federal income tax return for each of the three most recent tax years.  I have attached the required photocopy or transcript of my Federal income tax return for ONLY the most recent tax year." (Caps added for emphasis.)  However, Item 2c has another checkbox for "(Optional) I have attached photocopies or transcripts of my Federal income tax returns for my second and third most recent tax years."  It is impossible to truthfully check BOTH boxes (i.e. because the first box states ONLY the most recent tax return/transcript is included, while the second box does not reference the most recent year AT ALL, and DOES state return/transcripts for the second and third most recent years are included.)  The form does allow both boxes to be ticked, but the statements are contradictory; mutually exclusive:  Which one(s) should be ticked?

The NVC customer service representative said this is essentially an "either/or" question:  A SINGLE tax return/transcript for the most recent year is preferred; returns/transcripts for the two years preceding it are necessary ONLY if the most recent is unavailable.  However, the form does allow both boxes to be checked, and we would like to include all three of my Household Members most recent tax returns/transcripts if possible.  In particular, Form I-864A, Part 4, Item 2 is a blank table with row 2a for the most recent, 2b for the next most recent and 2c for the third most recent tax year and incom:  Since we are instructed not to leave ANY field empty, and I am unsure "Not Applicable" would be a valid response (since my Household Member DID have income each year) we are completing all three rows, but I want to avoid receiving a checklist for failure to include a tax return/transcript documenting each years income.   

In essence, I feel DECLARING anything without DOCUMENTING it just invites a checklist; I can't expect the NVC to simply take our word on good faith.  Since I also can't evade the issue by simply leaving some fields empty, that requires I both declare and document data except in cases where there is nothing to document (e.g. I have never been married before, so there is no divorce degree for "previous" marriages.)  Experienced suggestions are welcome and encouraged, and I will call them back about this one Monday (though I also hope to have our AoS/IV packet ready to mail by then, since that 8-11 week clock cannot start ticking until the NVC receives that packet.)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Since, if humanly possible, I WILL mail the NVC our IV/AoS packet Monday, I have a question about cover and other letters:

In Part 11, Item 3a-3d of Form I-864 I state, "SPONSOR RESIDED ABROAD WITH APPLICANT FROM NOVEMBER 2010-DECEMBER 2015 AND HAD NO 2014 INCOME SUBJECT TO US TAXATION, SO FILED NO 2014 US TAX RETURN," and the same for 2015 in Part 11, Items 4a-4d; in addition, I am including the suggested explanation letter stating,

Re: Missing IRS Tax Transcripts - Did not file taxes for years 2014 and 2015

Dear Sir/Madam:

I, _______, SSN xxx-xx-xxxx was not required by the IRS

to file federal income taxes for the years 2014 and 2015, as my income was

below the IRS required level. I was not employed and had no gross income. I

attached the Interactive Tax Assistant Interview Summaries for the years 2014 and 2015.

They state the following:

"You are not required to file a tax return for 2014. You are not required to file

a tax return because your income does not equal or exceed $3,950, nor do

you owe any special taxes or have any special situations that require you to

file."

"You are not required to file a tax return for 2015. You are not required to file

a tax return because your income does not equal or exceed $4,000, nor do

you owe any special taxes or have any special situations that require you to

file."

Sincerely,

xxxx xxxxx

Is this sufficient, or do I need a general cover letter for the whole packet, separate ones for IV and AoS sections, or any others?

Edited by JOL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi @fitleo , copied/pasted your conversation to this forum thread as it could be helpful for others.. Everyone here is also preparing their NVC file.. Please join/follow it.. Also, be sure to check out the first few posts of this forum thread as there is a lot of great info on them.  Don't hesitate to ask your questions here. 

On 6/28/2017 at 5:22 AM, fitleo said:

Hi all,

As I am gathering all the documents (financial and civil) for my husband's visa, I noticed that I received 3 emails from NVC all of which had a document cover sheet attached to them

1- Addressed to me ( I'm the petitioner, my name is not on the top of the cover sheet, but on the 1st page welcoming us) with June 1st date on the cover sheet

2- Addressed to my husband (the beneficiary, his name is on the top of the first page of the attachment, not the cover sheet itself) with June 1st date on the cover sheet

3- an email dated 6th of June (confirming agent selection) but this time the cover sheet had June 6th as the date on it

Which one of these should I attached with the packages

And just to confirm, AOS has to have a cover sheet and IV package has to have a cover sheet. Total 2 cover sheets??

Thank you

On 6/28/2017 at 6:05 AM, life-journey said:

I used the one with only my husband (intending immigrant) name on it. Bar code should be the same I think that's what matters so either one will be okay.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:18 PM, JessieABC said:

I did the following:

• 1st page in front of everything: Barcoded sheet stating "You MUST RETURN THIS COVER SHEET with the Petitioner's completed forms and supporting documents. Failure to do so will delay your visa(s)."
  • 2nd page:  Completed checklist Cover Sheet with bar code
  • In front of their respective supporting documents: AOS, IV cover sheet

2 hours ago, fitleo said:

Thank you, Jessie!

I have the same 1st page you've indicated

But, doesn't that page "YOU MUST RETURN THIS COVER SHEET" pertain to AOS only? I mean the address on it says

National Visa Center and then Attn. CMR AOS

did you send to that address or to the general address as indicated in the 2nd page you've attached>

I'd appreciate your input

Thanks

27 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

It doesn't actually matter which cover sheet you use, but I would use the most recently issued one.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 7/7/2017 at 10:47 PM, E&N said:

On 7/8/2017 at 2:47 AM, E&N said:

My dad is in Mexico Iam in the US, if I have a CC soon and an appointment it'll be great to see him. How soon can I get an appointment if I get approved? What are my chances? 

You should definitely try an expedite and my best guess is you would be approved. But you should make sure, you should include medical records of your dad while seeking an expedite.

USCIS
08/15/2016: I-130 sent to USCIS
08/18/2016: NOA1, I-130 received at USCIS Nebraska Service Center
02/17/2017: NOA2, I-130 approved 

02/24/2017: Notification received on App (I130 Approved)
02/26/2017: Approved I-130 sent to NVC

02/28/2017: (NOA2) Notification received via snail mail.

NVC
03/06/2017: Case number assigned
03/11/2017: Received email with case number and invoice number
03/11/2017: DS 261 Completed

03/11/2017: AOS fees paid

03/17/2017:IV Fees Paid

03/23/2017: DS 260 Submitted

03/23/2017: AOS & IV Package sent

03/27/2017: Scan date

05/30/2017: Case Complete

06/02/2017: Received Interview date over Phone(scheduled to Jul 17th)

06/03/2017: Received P4 letter over email confirming the Interview date

06/08/2017: Medical done

07/16/2017: Biometrics scheduled

07/17/2017: Interview in Mumbai

07/17/2017: Visa Approved

07/19/2017: Passport received at VAC, Intimation received.

07/20/2017: Passport in Hand

Unbelievable..i received my case# and invoice # yesterday for me and my daughter..happily signed in and then i was pretty shocked..our names showed up right but they put a stranger as the petitioner on our cases..i am really annoyed..i hope they can fix that fast

Edited by LuckyNoSeven

USCIS

I-130 sent:  11-11-2016

NOA1: 11-15-16

- Nebraska Service Center -

RFE: N/A

NOA2: 06-19-2017 (216 Days)

CASE SENT TO NVC: 06-26-2017

NVC

CEAC UPLOAD PROCESSING

Received: 07-07-2017

Got Case# and Invoice#: 07-08-2017 (via E-mail)

Paid AOS fee: 08-09-2017

Paid IV fee:     08-08-2017

Upload AOS:  08-20-2017

Submit DS-260 and upload IV: 08-28-2017-

- NO CHECKLIST -

CASE COMPLETE: 08-31-2017

Interview - US Embassy, Frankurt, Germany

10/18/2017 - APPROVED!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
6 minutes ago, LuckyNoSeven said:

Unbelievable..i received my case# and invoice # yesterday for me and my daughter..happily signed in and then i was pretty shocked..our names showed up right but they put a stranger as the petitioner on our cases..i am really annoyed..i hope they can fix that fast

I am sure you are waiting to call the NVC first thing tomorrow morning. Also, I saw somebody post that CAEC was on maintenance, hopefully this is only a glitch!

USCIS
08/15/2016: I-130 sent to USCIS
08/18/2016: NOA1, I-130 received at USCIS Nebraska Service Center
02/17/2017: NOA2, I-130 approved 

02/24/2017: Notification received on App (I130 Approved)
02/26/2017: Approved I-130 sent to NVC

02/28/2017: (NOA2) Notification received via snail mail.

NVC
03/06/2017: Case number assigned
03/11/2017: Received email with case number and invoice number
03/11/2017: DS 261 Completed

03/11/2017: AOS fees paid

03/17/2017:IV Fees Paid

03/23/2017: DS 260 Submitted

03/23/2017: AOS & IV Package sent

03/27/2017: Scan date

05/30/2017: Case Complete

06/02/2017: Received Interview date over Phone(scheduled to Jul 17th)

06/03/2017: Received P4 letter over email confirming the Interview date

06/08/2017: Medical done

07/16/2017: Biometrics scheduled

07/17/2017: Interview in Mumbai

07/17/2017: Visa Approved

07/19/2017: Passport received at VAC, Intimation received.

07/20/2017: Passport in Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.