kpeck

Naturalization Oath Ceremony - June 2017 in Chicago

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi All, 

I just wanted to share my husband's Oath Ceremony experience at Chicago for anyone interested! 

Date: Monday, June 19th, 2017 

Where: Chicago Field Office | 101 W. Congress Parkway 

Time: 9:00 am

He brought: 

• Green Card
  • Oath Ceremony Letter - "Questionnaire" on back side completed, signed and dated in black ink

Dress:

My husband wore dress pants and a collared shirt. 

There was a WIDE range of dress for the people taking the oath - there were people in formal suits to people in shorts and flip flops... they didn't deny anyone participating due to dress, but they do mention on the letter to dress appropriately as it's a solemn occasion. 

Quick Background: 

• Husband came to US on K1 Visa in Oct. 2013
  • Received first green card in Feb. 2014
  • Filed N-400 in Dec. 2016 based on 3 year rule - Marriage to US Citizen 
  • Citizenship Interview - Wed., May 31st
  • Received Oath Ceremony Letter on Friday, June 9th and his ceremony was scheduled for Monday, June 19th at 9:00 am 

We arrived at 8:15 am and passed through Security - we were the only ones in that line, so we passed through speedily. My husband had his lunch packed as he was heading to campus afterwards (he's a grad student) and they made him throw away his fork. He brought in his backpack with his books and folders, etc., so that wasn't an issue (*We probably got there way early, but you never know with Chicago traffic/transportation, even taking the 'L'!) 

We went up to the third floor (note: this is the same area you go to for the Citizenship Interview - there were people waiting and being called back for their interviews in the same area) and they had us take a seat in the middle section of seats, leaving the first 3 rows reserved. Family and friends are supposed to sit in the other outside sections, but I just sat with my husband until seats started filling up more, and then I moved. 

Around 8:45 or so, a woman came over to announce that they were going to start calling the "oath takers" back by rows to head over to the auditorium, which is across the floor, and then they would come back for friends and family members. She reminded everyone that if they hadn't done so, they needed to fill out the questionnaire on the back of the letter and to have their green cards out and handy. 

They called the first two rows back - you could see them checking in at at table before going into the auditorium. (They took their letters and green cards.) They then proceeded to call them back, two rows at a time, until they had everyone accounted for. This took awhile... maybe 30 minutes or so. Then the same woman came back and was calling out some people's names who apparently hadn't shown up yet to make sure they weren't missed. 

After a few more minutes, they called back the friends and family - I want to say it was already around 9:45am or so. 

When walking in the auditorium, the oath takers were all sitting on one side - my husband said they specified to them where they needed to sit. Friends and family were directed into the rows of chairs on the other side. 

The same woman from earlier directed the ceremony - she was some sort of USCIS Officer/Director and wasn't a particularly inspiring speaker, but it was fine. She told us we could take pictures inside the auditorium and downstairs (there were flags on the stage and then more flags downstairs for photo ops). 

During the ceremony (this probably not in the right order - I can't remember how everything went): 

• We all sang the Star-Spangled Banner - it was some recording that was played. Some people sang along, but most people didn't. 
  • We watched two different videos set to images from around the country - "Faces of Immigrants" (or something like that) which showed a lot of pictures of immigrants starting from the 1800s, arriving on Ellis Island, etc. up to present day (this was cool to see) and then another video showing various Oath Ceremonies around the country with a woman singing a very soulful rendition of "America the Beautiful". 
  • The woman talked about what this day meant for people, etc. and then called out the names of the all the countries represented and asked them to remain standing as she was going to administer the oath. She said there were 117 people being naturalized that day. After everyone stood up, she asked them to raise their right hands and then they repeated the Oath after her. Everyone started clapping. 
  • She then presented their naturalization certificates to everyone by calling them by name - they went up and shook her hand and accepted their certificates and then sat back down. 
  • I think this is when we all said the Pledge of Allegiance. 
  • She then wrapped up the ceremony by reminding the newly naturalized citizens to apply for a US Passport, register to vote (there were tables outside with people helping get everyone signed up if they wanted) and to update their status with the Social Security Administration (but to wait to do this with the SSA for at least 10 days)

That was it! The ceremony itself wasn't very long - we were done about 10:30 am, maybe. It was crowded as people were trying to take pictures, etc. and the little hallway outside the auditorium was super crowded since people were filling out their paperwork for voter registration. My husband registered to vote and then we ske-daddled! 

Whew! Now just need to get his Passport (going to the post office tomorrow) and then will head to the SSA in a few weeks to update his status... 

Good-bye USCIS! :)

Edited by kpeck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
21 minutes ago, kpeck said:

Hi All, 

I just wanted to share my husband's Oath Ceremony experience at Chicago for anyone interested! 

Date: Monday, June 19th, 2017 

Where: Chicago Field Office | 101 W. Congress Parkway 

Time: 9:00 am

He brought: 

• Green Card
  • Oath Ceremony Letter - "Questionnaire" on back side completed, signed and dated in black ink

Dress:

My husband wore dress pants and a collared shirt. 

There was a WIDE range of dress for the people taking the oath - there were people in formal suits to people in shorts and flip flops... they didn't deny anyone participating due to dress, but they do mention on the letter to dress appropriately as it's a solemn occasion. 

Quick Background: 

• Husband came to US on K1 Visa in Oct. 2013
  • Received first green card in Feb. 2014
  • Filed N-400 in Dec. 2016 based on 3 year rule - Marriage to US Citizen 
  • Citizenship Interview - Wed., May 31st
  • Received Oath Ceremony Letter on Friday, June 9th and his ceremony was scheduled for Monday, June 19th at 9:00 am 

We arrived at 8:15 am and passed through Security - we were the only ones in that line, so we passed through speedily. My husband had his lunch packed as he was heading to campus afterwards (he's a grad student) and they made him throw away his fork. He brought in his backpack with his books and folders, etc., so that wasn't an issue (*We probably got there way early, but you never know with Chicago traffic/transportation, even taking the 'L'!) 

We went up to the third floor (note: this is the same area you go to for the Citizenship Interview - there were people waiting and being called back for their interviews in the same area) and they had us take a seat in the middle section of seats, leaving the first 3 rows reserved. Family and friends are supposed to sit in the other outside sections, but I just sat with my husband until seats started filling up more, and then I moved. 

Around 8:45 or so, a woman came over to announce that they were going to start calling the "oath takers" back by rows to head over to the auditorium, which is across the floor, and then they would come back for friends and family members. She reminded everyone that if they hadn't done so, they needed to fill out the questionnaire on the back of the letter and to have their green cards out and handy. 

They called the first two rows back - you could see them checking in at at table before going into the auditorium. (They took their letters and green cards.) They then proceeded to call them back, two rows at a time, until they had everyone accounted for. This took awhile... maybe 30 minutes or so. Then the same woman came back and was calling out some people's names who apparently hadn't shown up yet to make sure they weren't missed. 

After a few more minutes, they called back the friends and family - I want to say it was already around 9:45am or so. 

When walking in the auditorium, the oath takers were all sitting on one side - my husband said they specified to them where they needed to sit. Friends and family were directed into the rows of chairs on the other side. 

The same woman from earlier directed the ceremony - she was some sort of USCIS Officer/Director and wasn't a particularly inspiring speaker, but it was fine. She told us we could take pictures inside the auditorium and downstairs (there were flags on the stage and then more flags downstairs for photo ops). 

During the ceremony (this probably not in the right order - I can't remember how everything went): 

• We all sang the Star-Spangled Banner - it was some recording that was played. Some people sang along, but most people didn't. 
  • We watched two different videos set to images from around the country - "Faces of Immigrants" (or something like that) which showed a lot of pictures of immigrants starting from the 1800s, arriving on Ellis Island, etc. up to present day (this was cool to see) and then another video showing various Oath Ceremonies around the country with a woman singing a very soulful rendition of "America the Beautiful". 
  • The woman talked about what this day meant for people, etc. and then called out the names of the all the countries represented and asked them to remain standing as she was going to administer the oath. She said there were 117 people being naturalized that day. After everyone stood up, she asked them to raise their right hands and then they repeated the Oath after her. Everyone started clapping. 
  • She then presented their naturalization certificates to everyone by calling them by name - they went up and shook her hand and accepted their certificates and then sat back down. 
  • I think this is when we all said the Pledge of Allegiance. 
  • She then wrapped up the ceremony by reminding the newly naturalized citizens to apply for a US Passport, register to vote (there were tables outside with people helping get everyone signed up if they wanted) and to update their status with the Social Security Administration (but to wait to do this with the SSA for at least 10 days)

That was it! The ceremony itself wasn't very long - we were done about 10:30 am, maybe. It was crowded as people were trying to take pictures, etc. and the little hallway outside the auditorium was super crowded since people were filling out their paperwork for voter registration. My husband registered to vote and then we ske-daddled! 

Whew! Now just need to get his Passport (going to the post office tomorrow) and then will head to the SSA in a few weeks to update his status... 

Good-bye USCIS! :)

So beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing! And congratulations to both of you. 

~David & Noom

N-400 Timeline

• 2020.03.08 -- Naturalization filing window opened
  • 2020.03.09 -- N-400 filed and feed paid online
  • 2020.03.14 -- Email/Text notifications received that biometrics appt scheduled
  • 2020.03.14 -- NOA of case receipt received via USPS
  • 2020.03.20 -- Biometrics appointment notification received via USPS
  • 2020.03.30 -- Received email notification that biometrics appt scheduled for April 2 canceled due to Covid19
  • 2020.04.02 -- Biometrics scheduled for 1:00 PM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.08.07 -- Myuscis update: biometrics being reused
  • 2020.08.14 -- NOA of biometrics reuse received via USPS
  • 2020.09.30 -- E-notifications received that interview has been scheduled
  • 2020.11.05 -- N-400 interview scheduled for 12:45 PM
  • 2020.11.05 -- Citizenship approved and oath administered! 

ROC Timeline

• 2019.03.08 -- ROC 90-Day Filing Window Opened
  • 2019.03.08 -- Mailed 1-751 and G-1145 to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 and G-1145 delivered to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 official submission date
  • 2019.03.15 -- I-797 (NOA 1)  LIN=Nebraska Service Center
  • 2019.03.18 -- Text message notification received: file receipt confirmation || Check for application + biometrics fees processed
  • 2019.03.18 -- NOA1 received via USPS (18-month Green Card extension)
  • 2019.09.06 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice date
  • 2019.09.13 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice receive (via USPS)
  • 2019.09.20 -- Biometrics (walk in) … originally scheduled for 2019.09.26 @ 9:00 AM 
  • 2020.03.10 -- E-notification that interview appointment scheduled
  • 2020.03.16 -- Interview appt notification receive via USPS
  • 2020.04.14 -- Interview scheduled for 7:30 AM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "New Card Is Being Produced"  and will be mailed
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "Case Approved"
  • 2020.05.26 -- I-797 NOA received via USPS Approval Notice
  • 2020.05.27 -- App status updated to "Card Was Mailed to Me"
  • 2020.05.28 -- App status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"; USPS tracking app shows expected delivery date of June 1, 2020
  • 2020.05.29 -- Permanent Green Card received via USPS Priority Mail

AOS Timeline

• 2016.12.30 -- AOS, EAD, and AP applications delivered to Chicago PO
  • 2017.01.21 -- NOA1's received via USPS for I-485 (AOS),  I-131 (AP), and I-765 (EAD)
  • 2017.02.24 -- Biometrics Appointment
  • 2017.04.20 -- AOS & EAD approved; NOA2's received via USPS on 2017.04.23
  • 2017.04.29 -- EAD & AP combo card received
  • 2017.06.06 -- AOS approved!
  • 2017.06.10 -- 2-YR Green Card received

K-1 Visa Timeline

• 2016.04.18 -- I-129F Received by USCIS
  • 2016.04.20 -- I-129F NOA1
  • 2016.06.29 -- NOA
  • 2016.08.15 -- Bangkok Embassy received our case from NVC
  • 2016.08.23 -- Packet 3 sent to Embassy in Bangkok
  • 2016.08.26 -- Packet 4 email received from Embassy
  • 2016.09.05 -- Medical exam @ 10:30 AM @ BNH
  • 2016.09.07 -- Interview @ 7:30 AM...Visa approved
  • 2016.09.09 -- Visa Received
  • 2016.10.02 -- Entered USA (POE LAX)
  • 2016.11.18...Our Wedding Day 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, nooha said:

Congratulations,  i have a question for you , 

there were nobody with missing green card at the oath ? 

don't your husband have to wait for 10 days before he apply for US passport ?

Thank you! 

There was nobody there with a missing green card that I was aware of (or my husband)- that could have been the case, but not that we saw/heard. 

You can apply for a Passport right away (in fact, they told us during the ceremony that if someone needed one right away to go downstairs to the Passport Agency, although you need an appointment...) It's the Social Security Administration that they advise you to wait for 10 days before updating status. 

3 minutes ago, NDB052714 said:

So beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing! And congratulations to both of you. 

~David & Noom

Thank you! :) 

Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Awesome! The kind of immigrants that we need and want (people that are proud to be taking the oath). I wish both of you the greatest joy in this land of opportunity. :)

Great report!  Thanks! And Congrats!!!

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Timeline
1 hour ago, lucybelle said:

Great report!  Thanks! And Congrats!!!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, WandY said:

Awesome! The kind of immigrants that we need and want (people that are proud to be taking the oath). I wish both of you the greatest joy in this land of opportunity. :)

12 hours ago, kpeck said:

Thank you! 

There was nobody there with a missing green card that I was aware of (or my husband)- that could have been the case, but not that we saw/heard. 

You can apply for a Passport right away (in fact, they told us during the ceremony that if someone needed one right away to go downstairs to the Passport Agency, although you need an appointment...) It's the Social Security Administration that they advise you to wait for 10 days before updating status. 

Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Thank you, Happy for you both 

Congratulations and thanks for sharing! :) 

K1

05/23/2014: I-129F sent

08/05/2014: I-129F approved

11/25/2014: Interview - approved

11/27/2014: K1 visa received

AOS 

03/03/2015: I-485, I-765 sent

05/13/2015: I-765 approved

05/20/2015: EAD received

06/14/2015: NPIW received (dated 06/11)

09/24/2015: I-485 approved

10/01/2015: Conditional Green Card received

ROC 

07/24/2017: I-751 package sent

07/26/2017: NOA1 date

08/01/2017: NOA1 hardcopy (extension letter) received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats !!! 

Thanks for for sharing your experience. I have my interview on July 26 so reading this post about your husbands Oath Cerimony and your post about his interview helps us all prepare :)

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 6/20/2017 at 0:10 PM, kpeck said:

Thanks for your great description of your husband's ceremony here in Chicago!

Did the instructions specify a number of guests allowed per person?

Timeline
On 7/2/2017 at 9:15 AM, AK_2014 said:

Thanks for your great description of your husband's ceremony here in Chicago!

Did the instructions specify a number of guests allowed per person?

No problem! 

No, there were no limitations on guests - some people had their whole families and some just had one or two people present, it seemed like. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
15 minutes ago, kpeck said:

No problem! 

No, there were no limitations on guests - some people had their whole families and some just had one or two people present, it seemed like. 

Great! That's helpful to know. Just planning ahead for next year... 

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.