Henley1989

Attending College in the US

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So ive been in the US now for 1.5 years on my greencard and im looking to start a part time associates to get some post high school education. 

Ive applied to a local in county college but im struggling with FAFSA. Has anyone been down this route that could help?

- Fafsa require something called Selective Service Registration as im older that 26. Going through the system it wants records of my entry into the US e.t.c - anyone done this before?

- I would assume I need to have my UK GCSE/A Level certificates translated?

There is so much and its so confusing. Any help would be appreaciated

So I can help with Selective Service. Were you 24/25 when you entered the US? If so then you were legally obligated to register for SS before turning 26: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register

If you didn't register then you will find it very, very hard to receive federal student loans or citizenship. There may be some recourse though: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER 

I'm not sure if you need a lawyer. I would start searching around this website and some others to see what other men experienced when they didn't know they had to do this. 

Edit: I think some States automatically register you when you register for other things such as a State ID/driving license. You can check if you're registered already here: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Verification 

Second edit: Also, you are a man, correct? Wanted to double check because of your picture. Women aren't required to register.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Henley1989 said:

So ive been in the US now for 1.5 years on my greencard and im looking to start a part time associates to get some post high school education. 

Ive applied to a local in county college but im struggling with FAFSA. Has anyone been down this route that could help?

- Fafsa require something called Selective Service Registration as im older that 26. Going through the system it wants records of my entry into the US e.t.c - anyone done this before?

- I would assume I need to have my UK GCSE/A Level certificates translated?

There is so much and its so confusing. Any help would be appreaciated

whether your certificate needs to be translated, is up to the school not FAFSA.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ketsuban said:

So I can help with Selective Service. Were you 24/25 when you entered the US? If so then you were legally obligated to register for SS before turning 26: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register

If you didn't register then you will find it very, very hard to receive federal student loans or citizenship. There may be some recourse though: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER 

I'm not sure if you need a lawyer. I would start searching around this website and some others to see what other men experienced when they didn't know they had to do this. 

Edit: I think some States automatically register you when you register for other things such as a State ID/driving license. You can check if you're registered already here: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Verification 

Second edit: Also, you are a man, correct? Wanted to double check because of your picture. Women aren't required to register.

Thanks. I am a man. So i entered the US for vacation when I was 20/21. I then came to work here for a year when I was 23/24 (B1 visa) and then moved here on a K1 when I was 26. I only got my SS once I was 26. Does this mean I cant get student loans?

Edited by Henley1989

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You will probably need a U.S. citizen with good credit to co-sign a federal student loan. This website may be of help:

https://www.iefa.org/international-student-loans

Glad to hear you are pursuing higher education. Don't overlook vocational training. This country needs welders, heavy equipment operators, and other technical workers. Pay is great and work is steady. And this kind of training can be found at many community colleges, which are inexpensive (compared to 4-year). Good luck!

Timeline

Thanks for the help. Thankfully i have been in a growing career for 10 years now. This is purely so that a lack of degree does not hurt my future prospects. I dont understand how this selective thing works? What happens if someone is 30 years old, moves to the US to get married and wants to study with loans? What are they supposed to do?

13 minutes ago, Henley1989 said:

Thanks for the help. Thankfully i have been in a growing career for 10 years now. This is purely so that a lack of degree does not hurt my future prospects. I dont understand how this selective thing works? What happens if someone is 30 years old, moves to the US to get married and wants to study with loans? What are they supposed to do?

All men (US citizen and immigrants) must register with Selective Service age 18-25. If you immigrated to the US over the age of 25 you are not required to register. For immigrants it is within 30 days of entering the US. https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration Failing to do so has consequences, as it shows ''not good conduct''. One of the biggest consequences can be applying for citizenship down the road and applying for loans, grants, and financial aid, and applying for federal jobs. Visitors are in the clear of course - but you have stated that you worked here in the past, which implies you had residency here to me at some point. You'll need to examine the charts to figure out if you qualified to register in the past. For those that were too old to register by the time they arrived to the US, they can easily provide proof of age and entry, and obtain documentation from the SSS show them being exempt.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
13 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

All men (US citizen and immigrants) must register with Selective Service age 18-25. If you immigrated to the US over the age of 25 you are not required to register. For immigrants it is within 30 days of entering the US. https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration Failing to do so has consequences, as it shows ''not good conduct''. One of the biggest consequences can be applying for citizenship down the road and applying for loans, grants, and financial aid, and applying for federal jobs. Visitors are in the clear of course - but you have stated that you worked here in the past, which implies you had residency here to me at some point. You'll need to examine the charts to figure out if you qualified to register in the past. For those that were too old to register by the time they arrived to the US, they can easily provide proof of age and entry, and obtain documentation from the SSS show them being exempt.

Hmmmm. Unsure of where to go from here. I think im still good to get a loan as I got SS when I arrived here. My initial B1 was a B-1 Temporary Business Visitor, so I dont think that counts as needing SS. If im still good, its confusing what I need to send in e.t.c

Timeline

Id be grateful if someone could just confirm if i should be ok based on the following visits to the US:

First came here for vacation in 2009 when I was 19

I came again on a B1 visa (nonimmigrant) for a year (2012/2013) to complete some projects  - Did not get SS, lived as a tourist. Still younger than 26.

I then back and forth for vacation multiple times over the next few years. During these years I turned 26

I then arrived on a K1 after I was 26, immediately got SS, got married, got my green card and now trying to apply for a loan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Henley1989 said:

Id be grateful if someone could just confirm if i should be ok based on the following visits to the US:

First came here for vacation in 2009 when I was 19

I came again on a B1 visa (nonimmigrant) for a year (2012/2013) to complete some projects  - Did not get SS, lived as a tourist. Still younger than 26.

I then back and forth for vacation multiple times over the next few years. During these years I turned 26

I then arrived on a K1 after I was 26, immediately got SS, got married, got my green card and now trying to apply for a loan.

Like yuna said: If you immigrated to the US over the age of 25 you are not required to register.

Key word being "immigrate"....so as I understand it, you're in the clear. Not sure why FAFSA is asking about being over the age of 26, seems like they would be asking for people under that age.

If you were here on a B-1 or the VWP before, you weren't considered an immigrant.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
3 hours ago, millefleur said:

Like yuna said: If you immigrated to the US over the age of 25 you are not required to register.

Key word being "immigrate"....so as I understand it, you're in the clear. Not sure why FAFSA is asking about being over the age of 26, seems like they would be asking for people under that age.

If you were here on a B-1 or the VWP before, you weren't considered an immigrant.

Right thats what I thought. The college is telling me this:

Selective Service Verification - INCOMPLETE

Description
If you are female, please log onto your FAFSA and correct question 21 to Female. If you are male, at least 18 years old, and born after December 31, 1959, to receive federal student aid, you must be registered with selective service. You can log onto your FAFSA and correct question 22 to "Register me". If you are 26 or older, you must send a "Request for Status Information Letter" (click the link below) to the selective service system, which will return a "Status Information Letter" to you. You must submit the "Status Information Letter" along with a detailed explanation of why you did not register for selective service to the Enrollment Services in West Hall, Edison campus, or at the New Brunswick or Perth Amboy Center.

I am filling out the form to send off but this part is so confusing.. The first time was for vacation.. Does that count? What was my status then?

NON-CITIZEN / UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANT:

* Date you entered the United States for the first time: _______________________________________ * Month / * Day / * Year *

USCIS (formerly INS) status at time of entry: ____________________________

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Henley1989 said:

Right thats what I thought. The college is telling me this:

Selective Service Verification - INCOMPLETE

Description
If you are female, please log onto your FAFSA and correct question 21 to Female. If you are male, at least 18 years old, and born after December 31, 1959, to receive federal student aid, you must be registered with selective service. You can log onto your FAFSA and correct question 22 to "Register me". If you are 26 or older, you must send a "Request for Status Information Letter" (click the link below) to the selective service system, which will return a "Status Information Letter" to you. You must submit the "Status Information Letter" along with a detailed explanation of why you did not register for selective service to the Enrollment Services in West Hall, Edison campus, or at the New Brunswick or Perth Amboy Center.

I am filling out the form to send off but this part is so confusing.. The first time was for vacation.. Does that count? What was my status then?

NON-CITIZEN / UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANT:

* Date you entered the United States for the first time: _______________________________________ * Month / * Day / * Year *

USCIS (formerly INS) status at time of entry: ____________________________

Actually just reading it a little it ask for the dates of entry as an IMMIGRANT. The only time was when I arrived to get married recently so I dont think I need to list every time I visited the states whether on VWP or B1...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Henley1989 said:

Actually just reading it a little it ask for the dates of entry as an IMMIGRANT. The only time was when I arrived to get married recently so I dont think I need to list every time I visited the states whether on VWP or B1...

That's what I was thinking. So you can go from your date of entry when you arrived on your immigrant visa.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
48 minutes ago, millefleur said:

That's what I was thinking. So you can go from your date of entry when you arrived on your immigrant visa.

Thanks. I have to look at what I have to send them in as evidence. I assume a pic of the passport/visa/entry stamp.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.