gregoryagu

Getting SS number for Health Insurance

17 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Kadriya and I were legally married on May 5 in a civil wedding in Clearwater Florida.  (She arrived Mar 28, we got engaged April 5. We will do a church wedding 24 June 2017). We are very happy together of course.

Now for the paperwork.  I would like to start by getting her on my health insurance. But it seems a social security number is required.

Can we just go now to the SS and get one?  What documentation will they require?

I currently have health insurance through my company, but the cost goes from 42 per week to 142 per week when adding a spouse.  I have checked healthcare.gov, and the plans there seem to be about half the price for the same coverage.

But I know there is a small window to get this taken care of, or wait until the next open enrollment.

Any advice is appreciated.

Greg

try to get the SSN as soon as possible.  https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

In fact, you should already have done that. Sometimes you run in trouble when you wait until after the wedding /her I-94 is close to expiring, and they make you wait until EAD. See http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

For health insurance, SSN is generally not required though - but very few administrators know that. Generally, marriage is a "qualifying event", after which you have 30 days to act.

Edited by DrEllaNJ

Timeline
17 minutes ago, DrEllaNJ said:

try to get the SSN as soon as possible.  https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

In fact, you should already have done that. Sometimes you run in trouble when you wait until after the wedding /her I-94 is close to expiring, and they make you wait until EAD. See http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

For health insurance, SSN is generally not required though - but very few administrators know that. Generally, marriage is a "qualifying event", after which you have 30 days to act.

Thanks.  Tomorrow morning we will go to the SS office and see if we can get that.  Her I-94 is good for 6 months total, so that is not close to expiring yet.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, f f said:

the ssn is not required for health insurance. I have used the i94 number for my step child with no issues.

also which visa did your wife arrive on since it is in the cr1 section but you mention having a marriage ceremony here.

16 minutes ago, f f said:

the ssn is not required for health insurance. I have used the i94 number for my step child with no issues.

also which visa did your wife arrive on since it is in the cr1 section but you mention having a marriage ceremony here.

She arrived on a B2 Visa. 

So I believe the IR Visa is the correct Visa, but I am unfamiliar with IR/CR1 Visa's. (I was working on a K1 Visa earlier with a different person, but we broke up before the interview.)  

Kadriya came and visited for a month, then went back to Russia for two months, came back for a second visit at which time I proposed and she accepted.  We then did a civil wedding. But there was no K1 involved.

Edited by gregoryagu

actually, if you're both in the US, you should do AOS - unless she's planning to go back to Russia and wait for her visa there. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

But you say you're getting her on your health insurance, which may not be necessary if she goes back to Russia. In that case, you could ask your insurance provider if immigrating is a qualifying event, and then when she immigrates, add her to your insurance or buy insurance on the Marketplace. 

also, I was under the impression that she came with a K1 visa. So scratch my first post - I'm not sure if she will be able to get a US SSN with a tourist visa, especially if she's not planning to stay here (yet). Even if you apply for AOS, she may have to wait until she gets her work permit before she can get a SSN.

Agree, SSN should apply right away, and she can apply an ITIN as well if you are still sorting out the immigration process. ITIN number can be use for insurance, taxes etc.. 

I as well spoke to my insurance agent and they are willing to take passport # or GC as well. I would go ahead and try travel insurance in the mean time just to play it safe. 

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

7 minutes ago, f f said:

keep in mind travel insurance does not cover routine things like checkcheckups but is there so if there is a major accident you are covered. also it does not count as coverage for aca if that is around next year no one knows.

Im not sure what are the charges in other states but in California, if one has no insurance, he or she can see a doctor at the county hospital for $80. 

Try looking into this https://www.***removed***.com/ 
Im on the similar boat and have been looking into options for my wife. You can see the details on my stats, but basically she is coming over with no insurance, no SSN and so Im talking to medi-cal and private companies to get her

something. 

Edited by sy1983
website

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My County does not have a Doctor.

Agee SSN not a current issue as here as a visitor  but also not needed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I currently have Health insurance, i've already had free checkups, vision and dental for +6 months, my wife was able to add me to her healthcare coverage without SSN (i have none yet), we are waiting for I-130 approval. I think she used all zeros when asked for my SSN on the online form. 

You should be able to have more options for family coverage through your company.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.