CaliCat

Berkeley Cancels Ann Coulter Speech Over Safety Fears

88 posts in this topic

Timeline

I say, let the man speak. There is a possibility the alt-rights will try to disrupt the event, as usual. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/us/berkeley-ann-coulter-speech-canceled.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

SAN FRANCISCO — The University of California, Berkeley, on Wednesday canceled a scheduled speech by the conservative author Ann Coulter, in the latest blow to the institution’s legacy and reputation as a promoter and bastion of free speech.

University administrators said in a statement that they could not let Ms. Coulter speak because of active security threats. In a letter to the Berkeley College Republicans, which was sponsoring the speech, two vice chancellors said the university had been “unable to find a safe and suitable venue for your planned April 27 event featuring Ann Coulter.”

The letter, written by Scott Biddy, the vice chancellor, and Stephen Sutton, the vice chancellor for student affairs, said it was “not possible to assure that the event could be held successfully — or that the safety of Ms. Coulter, the event sponsors, audience and bystanders could be adequately protected.”

After the cancellation was announced on Wednesday, Ms. Coulter said in an email that she would “definitely” speak at Berkeley next week.

“I was invited to speak by two groups on campus, so I intend to speak,” she said.

With Berkeley’s reputation as one of the country’s most liberal universities, the campus and surrounding areas have become a target for small, militant and shadowy right-wing groups that have clashed in recent months with equally militant and shadowy anarchist groups based in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I didn't realize she self identifies as a man :D

But I agree she should be allowed to speak.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, CaliCat said:

I say, let the man speak. There is a possibility the alt-rights will try to disrupt the event, as usual. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/us/berkeley-ann-coulter-speech-canceled.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

SAN FRANCISCO — The University of California, Berkeley, on Wednesday canceled a scheduled speech by the conservative author Ann Coulter, in the latest blow to the institution’s legacy and reputation as a promoter and bastion of free speech.

University administrators said in a statement that they could not let Ms. Coulter speak because of active security threats. In a letter to the Berkeley College Republicans, which was sponsoring the speech, two vice chancellors said the university had been “unable to find a safe and suitable venue for your planned April 27 event featuring Ann Coulter.”

The letter, written by Scott Biddy, the vice chancellor, and Stephen Sutton, the vice chancellor for student affairs, said it was “not possible to assure that the event could be held successfully — or that the safety of Ms. Coulter, the event sponsors, audience and bystanders could be adequately protected.”

After the cancellation was announced on Wednesday, Ms. Coulter said in an email that she would “definitely” speak at Berkeley next week.

“I was invited to speak by two groups on campus, so I intend to speak,” she said.

With Berkeley’s reputation as one of the country’s most liberal universities, the campus and surrounding areas have become a target for small, militant and shadowy right-wing groups that have clashed in recent months with equally militant and shadowy anarchist groups based in the San Francisco Bay Area.

This is a problem because even if you secure the speaking venue you have protests and scuffles outside.  In Seattle a man was shot/killed in proximity of a Milo engagement.  Do the taxpayers of California owe Ms. Coulter or <insert your speaker here> a secure venue? 

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

While I think she should be allowed to speak, should we also ignore the actual real safety issues? At this point we can't deny that they exist. After the "war zone" that happened last week during a protest.

I think it is a hard question. I don't even understand how these events take place. Who invited her? If the University itself didn't invite her, and they still responsible for spending resources on safety/security? Should the group that invited her spend resources on her safety? Should she be responsible?

I think they shouldn't outright stop her from coming, but they can seriously warn her and say that they will do their best but cannot guarantee safety. I think that is a reasonably true statement.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bcking said:

While I think she should be allowed to speak, should we also ignore the actual real safety issues? At this point we can't deny that they exist. After the "war zone" that happened last week during a protest.

I think it is a hard question. I don't even understand how these events take place. Who invited her? If the University itself didn't invite her, and they still responsible for spending resources on safety/security? Should the group that invited her spend resources on her safety? Should she be responsible?

I think they shouldn't outright stop her from coming, but they can seriously warn her and say that they will do their best but cannot guarantee safety. I think that is a reasonably true statement.

I would assume some legitimate group inside the University sponsored her to come.    I don't even think she is that extreme..she is a annoying wannabee trying to provoke discussion.  Its the ancillary groups that are going to use this event

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

51 minutes ago, ccneat said:

I would assume some legitimate group inside the University sponsored her to come.    I don't even think she is that extreme..she is a annoying wannabee trying to provoke discussion.  Its the ancillary groups that are going to use this event

Yeah I heard her talking on the radio yesterday about the upcoming now canceled speech. She said that group and the university were actively working together to help mitigate issues and work toward a safe speech. Supposedly the university asked her to come to help provide their students a chance to listen to the other side. But as we all know Berkeley is uber Liberal and does not want to hear anything that does not conform to their way of thinking. 

2 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah I heard her talking on the radio yesterday about the upcoming now canceled speech. She said that group and the university were actively working together to help mitigate issues and work toward a safe speech. Supposedly the university asked her to come to help provide their students a chance to listen to the other side. But as we all know Berkeley is uber Liberal and does not want to hear anything that does not conform to their way of thinking. 

question, what is coulter the other side of? 

:devil:

Timeline
3 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

But apart of the Liberal thinking is that free speech is the conerstone to the University Experience.  This goes back to the middle ages, thats what universities are about . 

Most of the speakers on campus are not political.  Bio Tech, commerce, Tech, media a lot of cutting edge work is done at Cal Berkley and the speakers list shows it.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
6 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

question, what is coulter the other side of? 

:devil:

not the otherside of my bed thankfully

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

what college campus needs to be exposed to 

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women."

why? what is she offering that is of any value?

1 minute ago, smilesammich said:

what college campus needs to be exposed to 

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women."

why? what is she offering that is of any value?

She is providing a argument of another way of thinking to the college students. Also college students have an opportunity to ask her questions about things as well. She is more Right Wing.

Just now, cyberfx1024 said:

She is providing a argument of another way of thinking to the college students. Also college students have an opportunity to ask her questions about things as well. She is more Right Wing.

oh i know who she is. college students aren't in college to be given alternative ways of thinking. they're in college to hone their ability to think for themselves. my beef with milo, coulter, etc is they're not providing anything of substance - or anything intellectually or even politically useful. they're not thinking outside of the box, they're playing a character to develop their brand so they get more speaking engagements/book deals/o reilly appearances (my bad, just hannity now). they're using crafted controversy to line their pockets. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
1 hour ago, ccneat said:

This is a problem because even if you secure the speaking venue you have protests and scuffles outside.  In Seattle a man was shot/killed in proximity of a Milo engagement.  Do the taxpayers of California owe Ms. Coulter or <insert your speaker here> a secure venue? 

Nope, even better, take it out of the pockets of the violent folks. Leave the rest alone.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Timeline
39 minutes ago, OriZ said:

Nope, even better, take it out of the pockets of the violent folks. Leave the rest alone.

Can we count on you to collect the money?

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg