8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I just received a letter that my request for Adjustment of Status has been denies because I did not provide documents they requested in February. However, I never received any letter from them to send the documents (they asked for birth and marriage certificate). It says I should make plans to leave the country as soon as possible since my K-1 visa expired. 

What now?

Can I reapply and would that mean I am eligible to stay while that process is pending? Do I have to reapply for another Employment Authorization and travel permit since this one is now terminated?

Thank

Check out these guides to help you with your re-application :)

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos

Make sure you use the latest form and fyi, the current fee is $1140 + $85 biometrics. Good luck!

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Other Country: Cuba
Timeline

I used that guideline above and I am a bit upset about it. It doesn't mention in there that each application has to have it's very own set of copies and documents. So I just mailed off my packet for for AOS, EAD and Travel -- but only made one copy of everything but my finance's passport and I did send two sets of passport photos of him. 

I did not include my passport photo because it wasn't clear - but apparently you need to send that with your packet. I only put my birth certificate to show I am a US Citizen. 

Now I am in fear they will cash my check and reject my petition. I can only wait. They received my packet on Monday and I haven't received a text or email yet. I sent it overnight to the physical location. 

2nd go round

1st K-1 Denied

Subitted Feb 2-6-15

NOA1 - 2-18-15

NOA2 - 8-18-15

Interview 11-25-15 - Denied

And Here we go again -

New K1 submitted - 1-9-16

NOA1 - 1-12-16 (according to USCIS)

Text received 1-15-16

hardcopy - not received yet as of 1-26-16

1 hour ago, pepper44 said:

I used that guideline above and I am a bit upset about it. It doesn't mention in there that each application has to have it's very own set of copies and documents. So I just mailed off my packet for for AOS, EAD and Travel -- but only made one copy of everything but my finance's passport and I did send two sets of passport photos of him. 

I did not include my passport photo because it wasn't clear - but apparently you need to send that with your packet. I only put my birth certificate to show I am a US Citizen. 

Now I am in fear they will cash my check and reject my petition. I can only wait. They received my packet on Monday and I haven't received a text or email yet. I sent it overnight to the physical location. 

Well first of all, according to the instructions, you don't have to send more than one copy of things that are requested for more than one of the forms. I didn't and was fine. The problem is that USCIS sometimes mess up and papers get lost or not copied properly when the forms are separated. Because of this a lot of ppl send the extra papers just to make sure. 

Secondly, no matter what you read on visajourney your petition is your responsibility so it's always good to double check what you read. Sometimes instructions change and vj isn't updated etc. 

Thirdly, the USC does not need to send any photos of themselves.

And finally if your packet is rejected your check won't be cashed. In that scenario everything will just be returned to you, but nothing you have written would result in a rejected package. It can take up to two weeks to hear smth back. So hang in there. There is a lot more waiting ahead :)

Good luck to you and the OP who I think got good advice above to reapply asap.

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

UPDATE:

We hired a lawyer (we are in New York City) and she recommended to file a motion since it takes less time, it's cheaper and since it is a technical error the chance they won't accept it is very low. However, before doing that, she said she will go to their office in person and talk to them and try to make them reopen the case without filling a motion. That was yesterday and an hour later an immigration officer called us and said they will reopen the case without filling a motion, he just want both of us to come for an interview with the original documents they previously requested. 

So I am very happy with the outcome and what this lawyer managed to do for us. It cost us $2,000, but at least we don't have to go through some additional legal process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
3 hours ago, Raid123 said:

UPDATE:

We hired a lawyer (we are in New York City) and she recommended to file a motion since it takes less time, it's cheaper and since it is a technical error the chance they won't accept it is very low. However, before doing that, she said she will go to their office in person and talk to them and try to make them reopen the case without filling a motion. That was yesterday and an hour later an immigration officer called us and said they will reopen the case without filling a motion, he just want both of us to come for an interview with the original documents they previously requested. 

So I am very happy with the outcome and what this lawyer managed to do for us. It cost us $2,000, but at least we don't have to go through some additional legal process.

That is one cool Lawyer hahah happy for you guys.

Edited by Dublindave

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 4/7/2017 at 0:12 AM, Suss&Camm said:

your petition is your responsibility

Amen! VisaJourney is an incredible free resource for immigration questions. That being said, the applicant/sponsor/beneficiary is not absolved from needing to conduct their own due diligence.

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.