Tia_24

Are there any options that don't require you to spend a lot/any time apart?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, how are you?

I am super new here, so have a ton of questions. Trust me I've been researching non stop, but I'm just getting more and more confused.

I am a 21 year old Canadian female who is in a long distance relationship with a 31 year old American male who lives in Maryland, US.

We are wanting to move me down there so we can start our life together permanently, but we aren't sure where to start or which visa to go with. Marriage/engagement is no problem, it's something we are both wanting and ready for. We were leaning towards the  k-1 visa as it seems to be the fastest process, but we are a bit confused with the mixed answers we've been reading. We want to go with whichever option allows us to be together during the process. We've read that to do the k-1 visa, he has to file for me while I'm in Canada, and I have to stay in Canada during the whole process until it is approved. Is that true? On one hand I'm also reading you can visit, but it's at the discretion of the officer to let you in or not.

So far I've only left Canada for 2 weeks out of the year so I still have visiting time left, correct? Would it be smart for us to just have me come back there and than look into and start a visa process? Were just looking into which ever visa allows us to be together and have a life together, with the least amount of time apart possible. We were lucky to find a best friend and love in each other as I know you all understand, so being away isn't easy.  I'm not working right now, and he is in the military which is why me moving to him is what were going with. That being said we are open to literally any process or visa out there. We would get married tomorrow if we had to. We were just thinking the K-1 because it looked the fastest, but if there's a better option out there or one where we don't have to be apart that would be amazing.

We just want to make sure we're doing it right as to not hinder the process. Thank you all so much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Tia_24 said:

I am super new here, so have a ton of questions. Trust me I've been researching non stop, but I'm just getting more and more confused.

I am a 21 year old Canadian female who is in a long distance relationship with a 31 year old American male who lives in Maryland, US.

We are wanting to move me down there so we can start our life together permanently, but we aren't sure where to start or which visa to go with. Marriage/engagement is no problem, it's something we are both wanting and ready for. We were leaning towards the  k-1 visa as it seems to be the fastest process, but we are a bit confused with the mixed answers we've been reading. We want to go with whichever option allows us to be together during the process. We've read that to do the k-1 visa, he has to file for me while I'm in Canada, and I have to stay in Canada during the whole process until it is approved. Is that true? On one hand I'm also reading you can visit, but it's at the discretion of the officer to let you in or not.

So far I've only left Canada for 2 weeks out of the year so I still have visiting time left, correct? Would it be smart for us to just have me come back there and than look into and start a visa process? Were just looking into which ever visa allows us to be together and have a life together, with the least amount of time apart possible. We were lucky to find a best friend and love in each other as I know you all understand, so being away isn't easy.  I'm not working right now, and he is in the military which is why me moving to him is what were going with. That being said we are open to literally any process or visa out there. We would get married tomorrow if we had to. We were just thinking the K-1 because it looked the fastest, but if there's a better option out there or one where we don't have to be apart that would be amazing.

We just want to make sure we're doing it right as to not hinder the process. Thank you all so much!

Honestly either K-1 or CR-1 you can still stay with him during the processing as long as you enter legally at the boarder as usual. You just have to continue to be honest at the boarder and show same ties to Canada and that you do intend to return at the end of your stay. There is no rule that says you can't enter the US during th eprocessing.

It is always up to immigrations whether to allow entry or not of course; but there is no rule again against not being able to enter and visit/stay during the processing of a K-1 or CR-1 visa.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Honestly either K-1 or CR-1 you can still stay with him during the processing as long as you enter legally at the boarder as usual. You just have to continue to be honest at the boarder and show same ties to Canada and that you do intend to return at the end of your stay. There is no rule that says you can't enter the US during th eprocessing.

It is always up to immigrations whether to allow entry or not of course; but there is no rule again against not being able to enter and visit/stay during the processing of a K-1 or CR-1 visa.

Thank you SO much for the reply. So would you suggest to apply for the k-1 before I leave to go visit, or to do it while I'm there?

And as for me returning to Canada after my stay, Would it be to sever my ties in Canada and give notice on my apartment and such to move out there for when the K-1 is approved?

When would I be allowed to go back? If we do the k-1 and I visit for 4 months, would it be 2 months (or however long it takes to approve the visa) later that I'd come back to the USA once and for all?

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate the help! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definately start with the guides:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

If you go visit now, you could both do the paperwork and send it off while you are in the US of course.

First petition goes to USCIS, it then gets processed and approved/denied. If approved it goes to NVC for a case number, they will then send it off to the embassy of the country listed in the petition, for you obviously Canada(Montreal to be more specififc as they are the only ones handling K-1s). I have heard the Montreal embassy is always back logged and can take time to set an appointment and all but you have to do medical, police report and several other things still as listed in the guides.

Also for specifics on Canada, on the top of the page theres a tab for "Portal", click this and it will take you to a specific Canada country forum where you can read other postings from other people here on VJ going through Canada. Each country is a little bit different on how they handle and process things at the embassy level so that is a good area to find specifics when it comes to that point in time.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I would apply now and then you can go visit. When you receive NOA2 then you know it will be send to NVC and after that then your embassy in Canada and then it's time to go back because you have to do your medical and interview in Canada and if approved you'll receive your visa shortly after and then you can move. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2017-03-28 at 2:42 PM, Tia_24 said:

Unfortunately, you're looking at probably at least 6 months apart for your application to process and go to the interview. The general timeline I see on here is ~6 months for a K1, ~12 months for a CR1. I think a big factor in this is the caseload at the interviewing embassy though, as my CR1 case was done in 6 months from filing to approval at the end of the interview. At my medical exam appointment I spoke with a K1 applicant who had a similar timeline. All interviews are held in Montreal for Canadian citizens, which depending on where you're located in the country could be a bit of a hardship as it was for me.

Ultimately, which course you take depends on your situation. K1 is more paperwork & fees when you take into account the adjustment of status you will need to do after getting married, but it could be filed immediately. CR1 gets you your social and residency immediately upon legal entry after approval, but you need to be married before filing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I should mention too, that you can still enter the US as you normally would on a B2 for up to 6 months after your application has been filed. It all depends if the CBP officer finds you admissible though. I was able to enter numerous times while we waited for my case to be processed, but was questioned about my employment status by the CBP officer when entering (as I usually was, the hundreds of times I crossed before). As someone who has a pending K or CR visa, if you quit your job and give up your home address, they may conclude you have intent to immigrate and deny you entry for this reason. This gets sticky because it could also be seen as immigration fraud, and have an impact on your application.

K1 Visa will be the fastest route vs. CR1.  Also, you can visit the US while your K1 Visa is in process.  My fiance and I are testament to that, as she has travelled to Seattle from Vancouver BC multiple times.  She was never denied entry or even questioned about K1 Visas.

Many visajourney Canadian/US couples have had no problems with the Canadian or US citizen visiting while the Visa is processing. 

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Number of informative posts. Just to add..

K-1 (together faster) about 6 mos but overall more expensive in fees to get a green card. 

CR1 (costs less) about 12 mos, but less expensive, and get a green card right away. 

Can visit but entry at CBP discretion, interview in Montreal. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

49 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Canada offers in country processing. He moves to Canada instead and you're not apart... 

Unlikely.. him being with the US military 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

You cannot LIVE in the usa until you have a visa that allows you to do so.  You can VISIT him as allowed per CBP (be truthful about your visiting intentions.)  K1 is faster to visa, but costs almost twice as much and your ability to work or travel is limited until 90 (ish) days of filing for your adjustment of status. It's longer to green card.

CR1 requires marriage first, is longer to visa but is cheaper and you are a permanent resident upon entry and can work or travel immediately.  

You interview at the Montreal US consulate either way and the medical must also be done in Canada.  You will have a period of time after interview where you do not have your passport while they do some background checks and issue the visa if you pass the interview. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

You cannot LIVE in the usa until you have a visa that allows you to do so.  You can VISIT him as allowed per CBP (be truthful about your visiting intentions.)  K1 is faster to visa, but costs almost twice as much and your ability to work or travel is limited until 90 (ish) days of filing for your adjustment of status. It's longer to green card.

CR1 requires marriage first, is longer to visa but is cheaper and you are a permanent resident upon entry and can work or travel immediately.  

You interview at the Montreal US consulate either way and the medical must also be done in Canada.  You will have a period of time after interview where you do not have your passport while they do some background checks and issue the visa if you pass the interview. 

Thank you so much for the answer, I appreciate it. I never imagined all of this to be so complicated haha, I'm struggling a bit to get my head wrapped around it all and understand everything. 

I do have one question that I haven't been able to find any kind of answer to, when it comes to the CR1 visa, if we were to get married right away and file for the CR1, would I be able to go be with him right away? Or is it also a wait ( an even longer one?) until the visa before I can go be with him? I've come across a few articles that make it sound like you just get married, he files for me and boom we can be together right away, but something tells me that isn't the case haha. 

The whole money thing and not being able to work thing isn't a big deal. Were willing to pay more if there's a better option, and as for me working we don't mind having to wait if need be, all my expenses are really is food and we both share the same diet which is super income friendly.  Thanks so much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.