forena99

2017 Post NOA2 for Cuba K1 - getting ready for interview

415 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
On 5/8/2017 at 4:50 PM, TatiyPablo said:

Still waiting for my case number from NVC. 3 1/2 weeks since approval. Calling everyday. Going crazy. Haha -_- 

Hello TatiyPablo! 

:( Still waiting? wow, they sure are taking their time. Did you end up canceling the appointment waiting on this number? I hope you hear from them soon. How are you doing with the gathering of documents? :)

K1 Visa

11/15/16: I-129 Sent ♥

11/16/16: Received at Dallas Lock Box (per USPS) ♥

11/25/16: NOA1 Hardcopy received ♥

02/23/17: NOA2 notification ♥ (90 days)

02/24/17: Scheduled embassy appointment ♥

02/27/17: NOA2 hard copy received by mail ♥

03/17/17: NVC sent package to embassy ♥

03/20/17: Called NVC and got my HAV# ♥

03/27/17: NVC package received in Cuba ♥

04/03/17: NVC Hardcopy letter received ♥

04/24- 04/29/2017: Fiance's medical exam ♥

05/30/17: Embassy interview appointment  ♥ APPROVED! ♥♥

06/12/2017: Fiance traveled to the U.S ♥

06/26/2017: Social Security Issued ♥

07/03/2017: Married! ♥♥ 

07/29/2017: AOS sent ♥

08/22/2017: Biometrics letter mishandled by USPS *

August 2017 - December 2017: Filing claims at USCIS and USPS *

December 2017: INFO PASS SCHEDULED ♥

01/02/2018: Biometrics and picture were taken at USCIS Field Office ♥

Timeline

Sorry @058rocale! I missed your last post. I ended up cancelling it and waiting for NVC, my fiance asked me to do that in case NVC took a long time to send us a case number/our petition to the embassy....which..they did!! :(

I called NVC yesterday (like I have been doing everyday) and I was told my petition arrived on 5/16 but had not yet been assigned a case number - so roughly 1 month in transit from USCIS to NVC. I called again today and found out that NVC entered in the WRONG birthday for my fiance. It's really frustrating, they wont give you any further information until the birthday is fixed in their system, but there's no sense of when that will be! 

I had to email them with me and my fiance's full names and DOBs, receipt number, and a scan of his passport. I'm worried they'll send it to the US Embassy in Havana with the wrong information! 

How is it going for everyone else? Hope your process is moving along smoothly! x

Timeline
On 5/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, TatiyPablo said:

Sorry @058rocale! I missed your last post. I ended up cancelling it and waiting for NVC, my fiance asked me to do that in case NVC took a long time to send us a case number/our petition to the embassy....which..they did!! :(

I called NVC yesterday (like I have been doing everyday) and I was told my petition arrived on 5/16 but had not yet been assigned a case number - so roughly 1 month in transit from USCIS to NVC. I called again today and found out that NVC entered in the WRONG birthday for my fiance. It's really frustrating, they wont give you any further information until the birthday is fixed in their system, but there's no sense of when that will be! 

I had to email them with me and my fiance's full names and DOBs, receipt number, and a scan of his passport. I'm worried they'll send it to the US Embassy in Havana with the wrong information! 

How is it going for everyone else? Hope your process is moving along smoothly! x

Oh wow! They are taking so long and making mistakes! That is horrible. A month for the package get to Habana? I am so sorry to hear all of this :( I guess sit was a good idea to cancel it until later since they are making so many mistakes. 

My fiance went yesterday to pick up his medical result examination and they were not in a sealed envelope. I keep being so surprised by the differences between the 'official' way and how it turns out in reality. I am going to put those papers in an envelope and seal them and put his name and info on the front of the envelope. I don't want to risk the embassy not liking us giving his medical results without an envelope. It also seems there were having some problems processing the medical exam results for many people.

This process is an extreme obstacle course, but we can do this! ♥ 

K1 Visa

Timeline

@forena99 I wish you and your fiance a smooth interview next week! We will love to hear how everything went once you come back from Cuba ♥ 

K1 Visa

Timeline

@forena99 GOOD LUCK!!!! Sending positive vibes!!!! Hoping for the best for you <3 <3 

@058rocale luckily they fixed the birthday error almost immediately! our case is now in transit to havana and we received a case number. We are thinking about redoing the DS 160 because Pablo found slight corrections to the addresses we initially submitted in his first DS160. What do you guys think?

Should I wait until the embassy in havana emails us with instructions before booking the appt? 

xx

Timeline
16 hours ago, TatiyPablo said:

@forena99 GOOD LUCK!!!! Sending positive vibes!!!! Hoping for the best for you <3 <3 

@058rocale luckily they fixed the birthday error almost immediately! our case is now in transit to havana and we received a case number. We are thinking about redoing the DS 160 because Pablo found slight corrections to the addresses we initially submitted in his first DS160. What do you guys think?

Should I wait until the embassy in havana emails us with instructions before booking the appt? 

xx

Hello!

After determining the address situation in the DS 160 you can go ahead and schedule your appointment :)

P.S. the embassy in Havana doesn't email or contact us or our fiance. If you have questions or inquiry you can call them from 9am-10am on weekdays. 

K1 Visa

Timeline

Congratulations!!! The first big step :)

Now you have two options, follow the instructions of the NOA2, which instruct you to wait for the NVC to assign you a case number and send your case to Havana. Once you receive your case number and your status says ready, you should receive an email from the Embassy with instructions and at this time you submit the DS 160 and schedule the interview.

However, this process can take a while and one of our forum members @058rocale submitted the DS 160 and scheduled an interview using the WAC receipt number. @058rocale had more than enough time to get all her documents in order before her interview date...which is next week!!!! :):)

So it is up to you, initially we did the DS 160 before receiving a case number but my fiance wanted to wait until we were assigned one. So I called the NVC everyday until we got a case #, that took a little over a month. And as of today I checked the case tracker site and it says Ready, so I will be scheduling the interview shortly.

@forena99 sending you lots of luck, I hope you have a smooth process and a nice time with your fiance. Let us know how it goes! :) <3

15 minutes ago, TatiyPablo said:

Congratulations!!! The first big step :)

Now you have two options, follow the instructions of the NOA2, which instruct you to wait for the NVC to assign you a case number and send your case to Havana. Once you receive your case number and your status says ready, you should receive an email from the Embassy with instructions and at this time you submit the DS 160 and schedule the interview.

However, this process can take a while and one of our forum members @058rocale submitted the DS 160 and scheduled an interview using the WAC receipt number. @058rocale had more than enough time to get all her documents in order before her interview date...which is next week!!!! :):)

So it is up to you, initially we did the DS 160 before receiving a case number but my fiance wanted to wait until we were assigned one. So I called the NVC everyday until we got a case #, that took a little over a month. And as of today I checked the case tracker site and it says Ready, so I will be scheduling the interview shortly.

@forena99 sending you lots of luck, I hope you have a smooth process and a nice time with your fiance. Let us know how it goes! :) <3

I think we are going to wait for that NVC number. I'm terrified of doing something wrong or out of order. So I will just be calling everyday lol...i am guessing he get the appointment for his examen médico after the interview is scheduled? Also, did you guys have any trouble with having your fiancé in cuba signing the ds-160? My fiancé is from Santa Cruz del Sur and there are no computers any where in that town. They just recently added wifi in January. Also which affidavit of support are you guys using? I-134 or I-184? I know it isn't required, but I sent the I-134 with my initial packet, both mine & our joint sponsors (his sister). 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

Timeline
26 minutes ago, eruiz3 said:

Just received our NOA 2 saying we were approved!! What should I do next? Should I call the NVC or wait till I receive a letter?

Congratulations!! <3

You can start calling NVC in two weeks :)

Yes, you have two ways to do this. But now, your fiance can start gathering the rest of his document:  his medical records including vaccination records and police records. I remember you told me you already had the birth certificate and certification de solteria which is great. Do check the expiration dates.

In my experience three months from my Noa2 to the interview was a great timeframe. Remember it takes 20 days to get his documents back from the consultoria juridica and 20 days to get his medical exam results.

K1 Visa

On 5/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, 058rocale said:

Congratulations!! <3

Yes, you have two ways to do this. But now, your fiance can start gathering the rest of his document:  his medical records including vaccination records and police records. I remember you told me you already had the birth certificate and certification de solteria which is great. Do check the expiration dates.

In my experience three months from my Noa2 to the interview was a great timeframe. Remember it takes 20 days to get his documents back from the consultoria juridica and 20 days to get his medical exam results.

Thanks!! and btw. good luck!

Which affidavit of support do we need for the interview? I am so confused on this because there's the I-846 or the I-134 and I saw that you guys mentioned taking both to the interview in the list of documents for it.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, eruiz3 said:

Thanks!! and btw. good luck!

Which affidavit of support do we need for the interview? I am so confused on this because there's the I-846 or the I-134 and I saw that you guys mentioned taking both to the interview in the list of documents for it.

Only the I-134 is required for K1 visas, you'll have to provide the I-846 during his adjustment of status, but I believe @058rocale was bringing both for extra measure. I might do the same. @058rocale did you find yourself having to repeat the same information in both forms? I am going to start working on that next week, I wanted to have the information updated as close to our interview date as possible. 

In terms of signing the DS160, it's honestly fairly simple and he should go through the form before you submit to make sure everything is correct. Can your fiance go to Camaguey or visit an ETECSA store with computers? My fiance went to his brothers office which has internet and we went through the application together over IMO. He approved and electronically signed then printed each page. 

I'm still confused about the addresses, we provided the most accurate ones but I was unsure of whether to write them in English or Spanish, if i did the former I'd be translating, which is never 100% accurate.

Unrelated question - what's the cheapest way of calling Cuba, what do you guys do? It's pretty late for this haha but we are both so sick of buying boss revolution and rebtel phone cards. $5 for 8 minutes??!? Soooo ridiculous! Only in Cuba.

Timeline
On 5/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, 058rocale said:

Congratulations!! <3

Quick question, do all official documents have an expiration of 3 months? How about single and birth certificate? I have one of his birth certificates from last fall, but I'm assuming he'll need to get a new one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.