2017 Post NOA2 for Cuba K1 - getting ready for interview

415 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

@eruiz3,

Payment and Appointment

6.PNG.b6d37808d0c38dff54f973f63eddae22.PNG

https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Cuba

*You can put your email as a petitioner.

For the online payment of the $265.00 USD for this Ds-160 we as the benefactor follow the steps given here:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cu/cu-niv-paymentinfo.asp  

under "Instructions to Pay your visa fee".

*Keep in mind that for K-1 visas we don't pay for the Issuance Fee (Reciprocity Fee). 

Do a screenshot of the payment confirmation.

Then you can make an appointment.

Fallow the steps here under Steps on How to Schedule your K1 Visa Interview Online”

http://www.mrspresson.com/immigration/k1-fiancee-visa-process/schedule-your-k1-visa-interview-online/

Keep the information on this photo instruction.

58b44d2c3251c_Ds-160paymentandappointment.PNG.c1b17fa63bb96ef5c7481a7c176eb15f.PNG

K1 Visa

11/15/16: I-129 Sent ♥

11/16/16: Received at Dallas Lock Box (per USPS) ♥

11/25/16: NOA1 Hardcopy received ♥

02/23/17: NOA2 notification ♥ (90 days)

02/24/17: Scheduled embassy appointment ♥

02/27/17: NOA2 hard copy received by mail ♥

03/17/17: NVC sent package to embassy ♥

03/20/17: Called NVC and got my HAV# ♥

03/27/17: NVC package received in Cuba ♥

04/03/17: NVC Hardcopy letter received ♥

04/24- 04/29/2017: Fiance's medical exam ♥

05/30/17: Embassy interview appointment  ♥ APPROVED! ♥♥

06/12/2017: Fiance traveled to the U.S ♥

06/26/2017: Social Security Issued ♥

07/03/2017: Married! ♥♥ 

07/29/2017: AOS sent ♥

08/22/2017: Biometrics letter mishandled by USPS *

August 2017 - December 2017: Filing claims at USCIS and USPS *

December 2017: INFO PASS SCHEDULED ♥

01/02/2018: Biometrics and picture were taken at USCIS Field Office ♥

6 hours ago, 058rocale said:

@eruiz3,

Payment and Appointment

6.PNG.b6d37808d0c38dff54f973f63eddae22.PNG

https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Cuba

*You can put your email as a petitioner.

For the online payment of the $265.00 USD for this Ds-160 we as the benefactor follow the steps given here:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cu/cu-niv-paymentinfo.asp  

under "Instructions to Pay your visa fee".

*Keep in mind that for K-1 visas we don't pay for the Issuance Fee (Reciprocity Fee). 

Do a screenshot of the payment confirmation.

Then you can make an appointment.

Fallow the steps here under Steps on How to Schedule your K1 Visa Interview Online”

http://www.mrspresson.com/immigration/k1-fiancee-visa-process/schedule-your-k1-visa-interview-online/

Keep the information on this photo instruction.

58b44d2c3251c_Ds-160paymentandappointment.PNG.c1b17fa63bb96ef5c7481a7c176eb15f.PNG

Wow this is great!! Thank you. 

One more thing 🙄 Did you guys put anything on the DS-160 where it asks for the national identification number?

Timeline

@eruiz3,

I put the number from his Cuban carnet de identidad (Cuban ID) :)

K1 Visa

I also put the carnel number... I got my appointment for the 15th of august... fiancée is gathering all the stuff on her end. Thanks for the info in the message. One question I have, when and if she gets approved, can I buy her a flight to any international airports in the USA or does it have to be Miami or Florida?

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Joqui said:

I also put the carnel number... I got my appointment for the 15th of august... fiancée is gathering all the stuff on her end. Thanks for the info in the message. One question I have, when and if she gets approved, can I buy her a flight to any international airports in the USA or does it have to be Miami or Florida?

Congratulations on your interview day!! 

Are you planning on traveling for the interview? I really hope you can :) It does make a difference in the outcome. 

Your fiancée can travel by plane to where you are in the U.S, but she might have to stop in FL for a connecting flight and is where she might face immigration. I live in FL so it got a direct flight from Havana to my city, but @forena99 might know more exact details about getting your fiancée to another state :) I will research more about this subject just in case I can help you more as well. 

K1 Visa

Timeline
On 6/14/2017 at 11:00 AM, 058rocale said:

Hi @TatiyPablo !!

How was the medical for your fiancé? J

My fiancé arrived on Monday!! We are both so happy. Immigration took forever, they asked everything in English and did not ask for the x-rays. But I am happy throughout the whole process that we always had more documents that we needed. It is surreal to know he is waiting for me at home ♥

1.    Interview-how did you prepare your documents? What folders did you put them in?

Folder 1: Affidavits of Support and evidence

Folder 2: Fiancé Documents

Folder 3: Interview prof, my documentations. Which includes (Appointment confirmations, Ds-160, Noa1, Noa2, NVC letter, my birth certificate, my passport)

Folder 4: Proof of ongoing relationship and wedding plans (include here the new intents to marry from both of you, get your notarized)

From my experience, have handy the ds-160, the appointment confirmation, his passport and your passport. These are the first things they will ask to get in the embassy and later when the first teller gets all your info.

2.    Are we temporary or permanent visas (for the line outside the embassy)?

Permanent visa

3.    you have to take any cash/pay any fees? What did you do with this during security check in?

I did not pay any fees at the embassy

The security check in you pass through a metal detector, and they check your papers for any solid envelopes or other things. I already knew we could not bring our phones or my purse, so my security check in was very fast. They did kept my fiancés keys with them.

4.    Did the binder have punch holes? I have legal index dividers separating everything, with holes punched and the top and bottom tabs for the dividers, which is what USCIS requests for the I-129F petition

My binders were really transparent envelopes. I organized everything with sticky notes and made my own dividers that way. You need it to be flexible since you have to fit them in a small entrance and its u shaped. So not only it has to fit, it has to bend.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Poly-Envelopes-with-Side-Opening-Letter-Clear-10-Pack/product_486515

5.    Have you received a beneficiary ID # or inovice ID # from NVC for your petition? If you remember, the NVC initially entered my fiance's birthday wrong, which they rectified the following day, but I received a second email yesterday saying they rectified it once again and they included an invoice and beneficiary ID # - none of which I had ever received before. Should I do anything with these?

I never received a beneficiary id#. All I received from NVC was a letter with all our numbers WAC#, HAV#, and such. At the end, they did not ask for it at the interview.

6.    Finally, my fiance picked up his birth and single certificate from his municipality. First, his mom's name differs on her ID card and his birth certificate, it is either written as Magaly or Magalys. For all of our visa paperwork we entered her name as Magalys but they printed her name as Magaly on his BC and Magalys on his SC. Confusing and silly, I know, but will this pose any issue in the interview?

I don’t know about this. I suppose they will focus on your fiancés place and date of birth. Maybe an s in his mother’s name will not pose a problem. I know the embassy will ask anything they are confused about. I doubt they will deny his visa due to his mother’s name :)

7.    Second, my fiance went to the Consultoria Juridicia and they had no idea what he was talking about when he handed in his BC and SC for legalization. What did your fiances do? Does the legalization process have a specific name?

http://www.cji.co.cu/?q=servicios/Obtención y Legalización de Documentos Docentes y Registrales

My fiancé just said to legalize his documents due to his K1 visa.  I will ask him to what specific address he went to.

8.     In Havana, where do our fiancés pick up the antecedents penales?

I believe my fiancé went to the police station, but I will ask him specifically. I know he got his SC and the antecedents in the same place in Habana.

Thank you @058rocale! Extremely helpful as always :)

I'm going to book my flights for our interview shortly. How long do you recommend going for - before and after? Thanks! xx

Timeline
18 minutes ago, TatiyPablo said:

Thank you @058rocale! Extremely helpful as always :)

I'm going to book my flights for our interview shortly. How long do you recommend going for - before and after? Thanks! xx

Hello @TatiyPablo

I went for three days before and left the day after the interview. I did not want too many days off from work since I was going to see him shortly and did not want to have my paycheck alter too much. I do recommend going a couple of days before the interview (2-4) so you have some time to bond with your fiance and get used to being around each other. I think it's better to leave two days minimum after the interview. Like I said, I left the day after the interview and not only I was still so tired from the day at the embassy, I also left my fiance too soon to help him deal with the news haha ♥ 

K1 Visa

Timeline

Hi all, just wanted to get your thoughts about traveling to Cuba under the current policy change. Now we won't be able to travel under individually organized people-to-people trips, these will have to be group tours operated by US companies. As I have to travel to Cuba for my fiance's visa interview, I am not sure what category I will qualify for.

This sucks :(

Timeline
On 6/17/2017 at 11:18 AM, TatiyPablo said:

Hi all, just wanted to get your thoughts about traveling to Cuba under the current policy change. Now we won't be able to travel under individually organized people-to-people trips, these will have to be group tours operated by US companies. As I have to travel to Cuba for my fiance's visa interview, I am not sure what category I will qualify for.

@TatiyPablo When is your interview? Mine is in mid-July. My flight was booked before the announcement was made, so I'm not too worried. But from what I understand, it will take a while for the new changes to be put into effect. Perhaps call a few airlines to hear what they have to say? I suspect if your interview is in July or August you should be fine. But the airlines will probably be able to give you the best answer. 

I'm worried too. Our interview is August 21st, I've heard the only change is that we will no longer be able to stay in hotels, which is ok because I always stay with family. As a result, every time I go to Cuba, I have to go to el Carnet office in Santa Cruz and change my visa from tourist to A-2. Not sure if now to travel I will have to solicit the A-2 here from the U.S.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:18 AM, TatiyPablo said:

How do the changes announced by the President on June 16, 2017 affect individual people-to-people travelers who have already begun making their travel arrangements (such as purchasing flights, hotels, or rental cars)? The announced changes do not take effect until OFAC issues new regulations. Provided that the traveler has already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to the President’s announcement on June 16, 2017, all additional travel-related transactions for that trip, whether the trip occurs before or after OFAC’s new regulations are issued, would also be authorized, provided the travel-related transactions are consistent with OFAC’s regulations as of June 16, 2017.

Looks like you will be ok.

Timeline
On 6/13/2017 at 7:12 AM, TatiyPablo said:

Hi Guys,

Writing with some questions for @forena99 and @058rocale:

Thanks so much for your help, everyone. He is doing the medical today so I am hoping all goes well. :) xx

Hi @TatiyPablo

Interview-how did you prepare your documents? What folders did you put them in?

The lady picked up everyone's paperwork as we were waiting inline outside the embassy.  Temporary visas first, then permanent behind them.  She asked for everyone's Carnet ID with any additional paperwork.  We gave her Packet A & B.  She didn't want Packet C till later.

Packet A - All Beneficiary's documents (X-ray not needed), included appt confirmations, DS-160, Noa1, Noa2, NVC letter, and all his documents: birth certificate, single certificate, background check, medical exam, etc.

Packet B - Affidavit of Support (included 1.5 yrs of payment stubs, 3 years of taxes with W-2s, signed and automated employment verification letter and letter of raise from head of my department (I did this just to show that I was likely to keep my job, at least I hope!)).

Packet C - Fiancee Letter of Intention, Confirmation of Appointment to Marry at Court House, and Evidence of Continuing Relationship (included photos with captions, updated copy of my passport to show trip in Dec 2016, boarding passes, phone bill statements, imo msgs, credit card bills and hand written letter.)  They didn't need my birth certificate (or at least never asked for it).

-are we temporary or permanent visas (for the line outside the embassy)?  ditto what 058rocale said.  Def permanent. 

- did you have to take any cash/pay any fees? What did you do with this during security check in?  No, no fees.  We kept all our wallets with us.  I didn't bring anything actually, I mean besides a HUGE bag of FOOD, lol!  We had to turn in our can of tuna and some yogurts, HAHAHA!  But I got them back when we were leaving - too funny.

-did the binder have punch holes? I have legal index dividers separating everything, with holes punched and the top and bottom tabs for the dividers, which is what USCIS requests for the I-129F petition

I did NOT punch hole anything.  I got EXACTLY the same envelopes that 058rocale got, except I only got a 5 pack.  But they worked great bc they can fit a LOT of papers.

-have you received a beneficiary ID # or inovice ID # from NVC for your petition? If you remember, the NVC initially entered  my fiance's birthday wrong, which they rectified the following day, but I received a second email yesterday saying they rectified it once again and they included an invoice and beneficiary ID # - none of which I had ever received before. Should I do anything with these?

I did not receive anything like this either.  Does the beneficiary # start with A?  just wondering if its the same as the number on the NOA2.

-Finally, my fiance picked up his birth and single certificate from his municipality. First, his mom's name differs on her ID card and his birth certificate, it is either written as Magaly or Magalys. For all of our visa paperwork we entered her name as Magalys but they printed her name as Magaly on his BC and Magalys on his SC. Confusing and silly, i know, but will this pose any issue in the interview?

My fiance has to get his birth certificate corrected.  It took about a month to do it.  His father's name was misspelled.  Two 's's instead of one.  He had it changed, but it was a pain in the butt and it did take time.  Which is his mom's 'correct' name.  They can't both be correct, right?  I would go with the one that is her actual name.  Whatever correction is needed to get her actual name.  You can't change anything you've already filled out, but you can tell them that you didn't know until said date that her name was spelled this way.  As long as you are consistent moving forward, even if it means changing things that you are currently working on.  Can't change things you have no control over.  Not sure if it will be a problem or not.  

Second, my fiance went to the Consultoria Juridicia and they had no idea what he was talking about when he handed in his BC and SC for legalization. What did your fiances do? Does the legalization process have a specific name?

Also, they told my fiance that the legalization is not done any more.  That the BC is only done one way now and that way is appropriate for international use.  He DID pay extra for the 'sello', which was a couple pesos.

In Havana, where do our fiancés pick up the antecedents penales?

Sorry, we didn't go there!

Removal of Condition on Residency
09/24/20...Submitted I-751
10/06/20...NOA Date

10/08/20...Check cashed
01/13/21...Moved to local USCIS (WAC)
03/02/21...Letter of Approval (biometrics & interview waived)
03/06/21...Green Card Received

RGyvm8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.