sparkles_

AOS March 2016 filers/Part 2

674 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2017 at 9:49 AM, Linyahui said:

Thanks for sharing info about your case, elikhom. We're in a very similar boat to you--PD of March 11, 2016 and our local office in St. Paul, MN is processing cases from April 2. Although our local office is quite slow compared to other offices around the U.S., we did find out that our case specifically is still stuck in background checks and that is the reason for the delay. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do but wait at this point. Even our congresswoman can't intervene to speed up the process with the FBI.

I'd suggest calling USCIS, requesting to speak to a Tier 2 officer, and asking, specifically, whether your wife's background check has been completed. If so, then you know the delay is due to manpower at your local office. If not, the delay is due to the background check. You may have to call USCIS several times to get to a Tier 2--we called last night around 5:30 pm local time, were transferred, and got an automatic message saying we'd get a call back from an officer (this is normal). However, the wait time at that point was 528 minutes--nearly nine hours!! We did get an automated call back around 11 PM last night but it was just to say that no officers were available at that time (duh) and we could email our question. We will just try calling again another day.

The point of this is that you may have to be persistent to get further information about your wife's application. Don't despair or worry too much--it can take time to work your way through the system to get the answers you need. If a phone call doesn't work, you can also try an InfoPass. During our InfoPass, we found out that we're on the interview waiver list, which is very heartening. Despite our long wait, we still have good news. That always helps. 

Hey Linyahui,

Thanks for the info. Quick question, what does your case say online? Mine says:

Fingerprint Fee Was Received

On March 9, 2016, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCXXXXXXXX. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Case History is blank

Is yours the same? Or has any items in the case history?

1 hour ago, elikhom said:

Hey Linyahui,

Thanks for the info. Quick question, what does your case say online? Mine says:

Fingerprint Fee Was Received

On March 9, 2016, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCXXXXXXXX. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Case History is blank

Is yours the same? Or has any items in the case history?

Our case status is exactly the same--"fingerprint fee was received on March 11, 2016."  It hasn't changed since March last year. 

Do you have an account with USCIS? That is the only way you'll see items in the case history (versus simply checking the case status via the receipt number on the website). And, the only items you'll see in the case history are service requests you file. They won't update anything there about background check, when the file was last reviewed, if it was transferred to another office, etc. The case history only shows actions taken from your side (including responses to RFEs, I think).

Fellow March family, please feel free to weigh in if the experience has been different for you. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

[Day 000] May 18, 2020: Naturalization package accepted by USCIS

[Day 268] February 10, 2021: Interview scheduled

[Day 305 ] March 19, 2021: Approved!

[Day 309 ] March 23, 2021: Oath ceremony

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] April 29, 2019: ROC package accepted by USCIS

[Day 036] June 4, 2019: Biometrics taken at USCIS center in VA

[Day 330] March 24, 2020: Case transferred to NBC to ease case backlog at EAC

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

[Day 690] March 19, 2021: Approved during combo interview

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] March 8, 2016: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package to Chicago lockbox

[Day 035] April 12, 2016: Biometrics appointment

[Day 052] April 29, 2016: Received EAD/AP combo card in the mail

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 470] June 22, 2017: Received RFE for five items with 84 days to respond 

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Fall 2005: Met as students at university

July 2015: Got engaged

September 12, 2015: Mailed K-1 Visa Petition to Lewisville Lockbox

September 16, 2015: NOA1 Received (Electronic Notice)

October 2, 2015: NOA2 (Electronic Notice)

October 23, 2015: Approved I-129F Received by NVC and Assigned Case Number

October 29, 2015: Petition documents arrived at AIT in Taipei

November 2, 2015: Received Packet 3 from AIT via email

November 10, 2015: Medical appointment

November 23, 2015: Visa interview

November 27, 2015: VISA APPROVED!!

February 1, 2016: POE in Minneapolis

February 6, 2016: Married!

5 hours ago, Linyahui said:

Our case status is exactly the same--"fingerprint fee was received on March 11, 2016."  It hasn't changed since March last year. 

Do you have an account with USCIS? That is the only way you'll see items in the case history (versus simply checking the case status via the receipt number on the website). And, the only items you'll see in the case history are service requests you file. They won't update anything there about background check, when the file was last reviewed, if it was transferred to another office, etc. The case history only shows actions taken from your side (including responses to RFEs, I think).

Fellow March family, please feel free to weigh in if the experience has been different for you. 

Ok, thanks. Yeah I set up an account to keep track of everything including the EAD and AP renewals.

Hey, March family! I'm writing with a great update. My husband and I called USCIS this morning to ask about his pending EAD/AP renewal. We learned that his EAD renewal has been approved (set to expire on Saturday, whew!) and the AP should be renewed shortly.

Since the officer was on the line, we asked whether he could tell us if my husband's background check has been completed. He said that the case file was transferred to the St. Paul office 13 days ago and we should now be in line for an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Although we were told at our InfoPass appointment in February that we were on the interview waiver list, I don't really care. At least there is movement on the case!!

Case status online still says "fingerprint fee was received," so for anyone still waiting, don't use that online status as an accurate metric. Speaking with a Tier 2 or scheduling an InfoPass is really the only way to get concrete information. 

Fingers crossed we won't be delayed much longer....

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

[Day 000] May 18, 2020: Naturalization package accepted by USCIS

[Day 268] February 10, 2021: Interview scheduled

[Day 305 ] March 19, 2021: Approved!

[Day 309 ] March 23, 2021: Oath ceremony

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] April 29, 2019: ROC package accepted by USCIS

[Day 036] June 4, 2019: Biometrics taken at USCIS center in VA

[Day 330] March 24, 2020: Case transferred to NBC to ease case backlog at EAC

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

[Day 690] March 19, 2021: Approved during combo interview

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] March 8, 2016: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package to Chicago lockbox

[Day 035] April 12, 2016: Biometrics appointment

[Day 052] April 29, 2016: Received EAD/AP combo card in the mail

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 470] June 22, 2017: Received RFE for five items with 84 days to respond 

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Fall 2005: Met as students at university

July 2015: Got engaged

September 12, 2015: Mailed K-1 Visa Petition to Lewisville Lockbox

September 16, 2015: NOA1 Received (Electronic Notice)

October 2, 2015: NOA2 (Electronic Notice)

October 23, 2015: Approved I-129F Received by NVC and Assigned Case Number

October 29, 2015: Petition documents arrived at AIT in Taipei

November 2, 2015: Received Packet 3 from AIT via email

November 10, 2015: Medical appointment

November 23, 2015: Visa interview

November 27, 2015: VISA APPROVED!!

February 1, 2016: POE in Minneapolis

February 6, 2016: Married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yessssssss!!! In the next 30 days you will get the interview letter then <3

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, Linyahui said:

Hey, March family! I'm writing with a great update. My husband and I called USCIS this morning to ask about his pending EAD/AP renewal. We learned that his EAD renewal has been approved (set to expire on Saturday, whew!) and the AP should be renewed shortly.

Since the officer was on the line, we asked whether he could tell us if my husband's background check has been completed. He said that the case file was transferred to the St. Paul office 13 days ago and we should now be in line for an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Although we were told at our InfoPass appointment in February that we were on the interview waiver list, I don't really care. At least there is movement on the case!!

Case status online still says "fingerprint fee was received," so for anyone still waiting, don't use that online status as an accurate metric. Speaking with a Tier 2 or scheduling an InfoPass is really the only way to get concrete information. 

Fingers crossed we won't be delayed much longer....

Def great news! looking forward with your updates! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Just another frustrated March 2016 filer here.

My wife got her fingerprints done in April 2016 and aside from receiving her EAD in May 2016, had heard nothing.

Finally, the Dallas office showed the processing date had gone by so we filed a service request on 1 February 2017. The Dallas office completed the request on 13 February and said that they requested a copy of her AoS application on 31 January 2017. So what happened to the original copy?

We called the NCSC the next Monday and got put in the callback queue for Tier 2. Later that afternoon, the Tier 2 officer confirmed that the Dallas office had requested a copy in January and also told us that the case was later transferred to Kansas City. I don't know what's in Kansas City, so maybe they're sharing the workload or something?

Of course, none of this is reflected online or in the case info that the Tier 1 officers can see. No notices or anything. The only changes I've seen online is on the bottom left under the main case status box where they noted that they received a service request, assigned an officer to handle it, and completed the request (without any details).

Just a big frustrating mess.

That's good Linyahui, congrats!

My wife just got a letter asking to redo the biometrics (appointment on Friday). Not sure if this is good news and someone actually took a look at her case or if this was just computer generated and nothing has been done. Sigh

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey guys! So I have been gone for about 2 months, and have finally access to electronics again! yey, ow and internet...!!! haha. I really hope all of you have had GOOD news so far. My thoughts are with those that haven't gotten it yet. But I am sure you all will!! Keep hope and faith.

I only have a little update about myself. Since may 10th I am a u.s. citizen (yes, no joke, I am). And as of may 12th I can call myself a sailor as well =). I am still in schooling, and in june I'll be moving to Virginia. Things went so fast!!! But ofc. I haven't forgotten about you all! <3

Met around 2011/2012 in a game (league of legends) super random, best friends ever since... grew closer as friends and desided in 2013 to try dating, flew over and we had a click =)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/2015 - Receive K1 (texas backlog drama, took a year!)

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

(Day 000) 03/10/16 - Filed AOS (with EAD and AP)

(Day 001) 03/14/16 - Received EAD+AP

(Day 004) 03/18/16 - Received AOS

(Day 005) 03/19/16 - NOA1 SMS & Email x3

(Day 009) 03/23/16 - NOA1 Hardcopy x3

(Day 016) 03/30/16 - Biometrics letter received

(Day 030) 04/13/16 - Biometrics done (very quiet in Providence (RI) just one other family and me)

(Day 051) 05/04/16 - Approval EAD & AP

(Day 055) 05/08/16 - NOA2 EAD & AP in the mail and online changed to approved

(Day 063) 05/16/16 - Approval AOS

(Day 065) 05/18/16 - Called tier 2 officer to ask where my AOS is at (RFE, Waiver, Interview etc, what to expect) got as answer it's approved...

(Day 067) 05/20/16 - NOA2 AOS Hardcopy and online status change

(Day 086) 06/08/16 - EAD Mailed to me

(Day 088) 06/10/16 - GC Mailed to me

(Day 089) 06/11/16 - EAD & AP combocard received (It still came eventho it's useless since AOS approval)

(Day 091) 06/13/16 - Greencard received

Timeline
1 hour ago, SanneW said:

Hey guys! So I have been gone for about 2 months, and have finally access to electronics again! yey, ow and internet...!!! haha. I really hope all of you have had GOOD news so far. My thoughts are with those that haven't gotten it yet. But I am sure you all will!! Keep hope and faith.

I only have a little update about myself. Since may 10th I am a u.s. citizen (yes, no joke, I am). And as of may 12th I can call myself a sailor as well =). I am still in schooling, and in june I'll be moving to Virginia. Things went so fast!!! But ofc. I haven't forgotten about you all! <3

Congrats!!! I grew up in Norfolk, you will have a lot of fun there :) 

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Ok so i got some updates on the case. After i was done with my finals and finished the semester, I had an info pass at the SF field office. I talked to an immigration officer and she was surprised that i have been waiting all this time and she said that i was a " priority". Anyways, she called the NBC and asked about my case. She said that no one was working on my case but she spoke with an officer at the NBC that will be working on the case. This morning i received a text message saying that there is an update on my case. I checked the status and it says that " request of initial evidence was mailed." I am kinda happy to see something other than my fees were received. But what could be those initial evidence i mean i submitted everything they needed for the application. Any thoughts ??

Timeline
7 minutes ago, msmontader said:

Ok so i got some updates on the case. After i was done with my finals and finished the semester, I had an info pass at the SF field office. I talked to an immigration officer and she was surprised that i have been waiting all this time and she said that i was a " priority". Anyways, she called the NBC and asked about my case. She said that no one was working on my case but she spoke with an officer at the NBC that will be working on the case. This morning i received a text message saying that there is an update on my case. I checked the status and it says that " request of initial evidence was mailed." I am kinda happy to see something other than my fees were received. But what could be those initial evidence i mean i submitted everything they needed for the application. Any thoughts ??

Things get lost, even if you sent them all. We used a lawyer and still got an RFE for a birth cert/translation. Our lawyer said that yes, things can get misplaced but USCIS will never own up to it and just send an RFE. Also, she said unclear copies also can get an RFE

I bet they want your birth cert too if it is an initial RFE.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
52 minutes ago, sparkles_ said:

Things get lost, even if you sent them all. We used a lawyer and still got an RFE for a birth cert/translation. Our lawyer said that yes, things can get misplaced but USCIS will never own up to it and just send an RFE. Also, she said unclear copies also can get an RFE

I bet they want your birth cert too if it is an initial RFE.

Well at least they started working on it because the officer said my case was never touched !!.
She also told me something weird. She said that my address with the NBC is correct but with the uscis as a whole they are missing the apartment number ( although i received a recipe saying that my address was changed !!). So i will do the change of address form and i hope the RFE will get here soon 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, msmontader said:

Well at least they started working on it because the officer said my case was never touched !!.
She also told me something weird. She said that my address with the NBC is correct but with the uscis as a whole they are missing the apartment number ( although i received a recipe saying that my address was changed !!). So i will do the change of address form and i hope the RFE will get here soon 

Ours took maybe 7 days to arrive, seems about average for everyone. Honestly, the leaving off of the apartment number was my worst fear. So glad you caught that now :)

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.