Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
7 minutes ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

That is true, it's alot of travelling.

Im just worried how I get back from Stockholm at the airport, when they keep your passport.

I know people are saying that they will accept other ID's, but still :)

I mean both Denmark and Sweden is a part of EU, so you should be good. I used to live in Spain and flew back and forth from Norway all the time, just used my drivers license. As long as you don’t check in any luggage and you check in online for your flight I don’t believe they ask you about your ID at all (unless you’re flying on discounted tickets i.e student price or any other age related discount) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 minutes ago, jules98 said:

I mean both Denmark and Sweden is a part of EU, so you should be good. I used to live in Spain and flew back and forth from Norway all the time, just used my drivers license. As long as you don’t check in any luggage and you check in online for your flight I don’t believe they ask you about your ID at all (unless you’re flying on discounted tickets i.e student price or any other age related discount) 

Okay, that sounds easy enough. Good to hear that it won't be a problem.

Timeline

By the way, figured I’d ask here. Me and my fiancé are talking about moving back to Norway at some point. Does anyone have experience with reporting a temporary move to the Norwegian government, instead of a permanent one? Would I be considered as emigrated if I obtain an immigrant visa in USA? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
On 8/12/2019 at 9:44 AM, nordictat2 said:

Just curious how long it took for people to see their I-130 pack was received? We sent it out on 18th Aug. and it left Oslo on 23rd heading for US. We sent it *registered signed for* and still nothing. I called USCIS and they can't find us in the system yet and it has me concerned because there is a $535 money order in there! I know the process itself takes months but surely they should have received it by now!

I meant to say we sent it out in July not Aug.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, ljujas2019 said:

My wife and I filed our I-130 on December 18 last year and have not heard anything since. When checking our case status, it just says "My case was received". I am in Sweden, and my wife is in the US, so it is, as many of you know, difficult to be apart like this. Also, in Sweden, like in many other European countries, the term of notice when resigning from your job is - for the most part - 3 months, so we would have to wait another 3 months upon receving the visa. Is anyone by any chance in a similar position? Would you resign from your work position a bit earlier or not take the risk? I also noticed some of you  discussing the possibility that the 6 month entry period (to the US) starts from the day the medical exam is scheduled for. Is this true? I actually thought the interview date was the starting point. 🙂

Late reply but I gambled. Resigned on February 19, 2018 and had 3 months notice, which put my last work day on May 18th. I received my NOA2 (for the K1, which is different ofc) on March 13, 2018. I had my embassy interview early May and visa in hand ten days before my last work day.

There was no way to plan the timing of that with 100% certainty, and normally people will not advise you to quit your job before you have your visa in hand. But I had saved up so I felt relatively safe that if the process would drag on I would be fine financially. I was also doing a lot of monitoring of the K1 cases, as another (awesome) VJ member continuously posted scanned case batches almost every day. From those cases it was possible to work out a probable timeline that then turned out to be correct for me. 

Edited by LizM

h

Timeline
4 hours ago, nordictat2 said:

I meant to say we sent it out in July not Aug.

If it just left Oslo on the 23rd, do you know what day it actually arrived to the lockbox? It can take a couple weeks from arriving at lockbox to getting your NOA1 receipt

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

We haven't even got confirmation it arrived to the Chicago lockbox yet. If I atleast knew they received it...I would worry less.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, nordictat2 said:

We haven't even got confirmation it arrived to the Chicago lockbox yet. If I atleast knew they received it...I would worry less.

Chicago lockbox won’t send you a confirmation, that’s something you’d just have to have tracking on the package to know when it arrived. Did you get any estimate by the post office of when it would be there when you sent it from Oslo? If you did then take that delivery estimate and add 2-3 weeks on top of it of when to expect your NOA1. If you don’t hear anything by a month after expected delivery then contact USCIS

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

Timeline

My fiance had his interview today in Stockholm and it was not approved because they needed more documents. Has anyone gone through this? So I guess it's kinda in limbo?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
22 minutes ago, KurtandDiane12 said:

My fiance had his interview today in Stockholm and it was not approved because they needed more documents. Has anyone gone through this? So I guess it's kinda in limbo?

Which documents? We were initially not approved since our medical documents had not arrived before the interview. Once they arrive we approved the same day. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, MalachiPDX said:

Which documents? We were initially not approved since our medical documents had not arrived before the interview. Once they arrive we approved the same day. 

He had an altercation back in 2013, they werent on the police records so we didn't think we needed anything else, but they want the court records. Also he had his name changed, so we need records from that.

So this is not a denial, it's more of a wait until the files are sent and it will be approved?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, KurtandDiane12 said:

He had an altercation back in 2013, they werent on the police records so we didn't think we needed anything else, but they want the court records. Also he had his name changed, so we need records from that.

So this is not a denial, it's more of a wait until the files are sent and it will be approved?

It depends probably. Depending on the altercation you won’t know what happens until they tell you their decision

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
5 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

It depends probably. Depending on the altercation you won’t know what happens until they tell you their decision

It was just a drunk argument, he had never had anything before or after that

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, KurtandDiane12 said:

I assume he got the 221(g) paper that states they can't issue his visa and lists the reasons why. It says on that letter what he should do next (that would be sending those documents to the embassy).

The three status of the visa application:

1. The visa application is denied when the ceac status changes to "refused".

2. The visa application is in AP when the status says either "ready" or "administrative processing" after the interview. Meaning the case needs some more work and/or documents before a decision can be made.

3. The visa is approved when the status says "issued".

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 8/14/2019 at 4:48 AM, nordictat2 said:

The tracking number that you got when you sent your i-130 package will let you know if/when the package was delivered.

It can take up to 30 days from the delivery date before you hear anything from USCIS.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.