Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
23 minutes ago, MalinB said:

Maybe someone else knows this better, but I’m just wondering if he can enter the US on an ESTA after he has received his K1? I was thinking, the K1 is a one entry visa (you then have to stay in the US until after you are married and have adjusted the status, roughly 6-9 months), so as soon as he enters the US after it is received, it will be “used.”  I don’t think you can choose not to use it and use the ESTA instead after you have the K1 in your passport.  

He will use his K-1 once it's glued to his passport and he enters the US. He won't be able to use the ESTA if he has a K-1 in his passport.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Just curious how long it took for people to see their I-130 pack was received? We sent it out on 18th Aug. and it left Oslo on 23rd heading for US. We sent it *registered signed for* and still nothing. I called USCIS and they can't find us in the system yet and it has me concerned because there is a $535 money order in there! I know the process itself takes months but surely they should have received it by now!

Timeline
1 hour ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

Hello fellow Scandinavians.

Does anybody know how long the wait is to get scheduled an interview at the Stockholm embassy, when you are qualified?

Don't know what it's like these days. We got our NOA2 in the end of June 2016, got our NVC case number and about a month later (end of July) and the first available appointment was August 11. So back then it was a very short wait, so short I couldn't choose the first available appointment as I still had to get the medical done etc. 

But like I said, not sure how long the wait is nowadays, could be very different.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scandi said:

Don't know what it's like these days. We got our NOA2 in the end of June 2016, got our NVC case number and about a month later (end of July) and the first available appointment was August 11. So back then it was a very short wait, so short I couldn't choose the first available appointment as I still had to get the medical done etc. 

But like I said, not sure how long the wait is nowadays, could be very different.

When I looked at the statistics for immigrant visas for Norway, Sweden, and Denmark for 2018, the number was very low, so I imagine the wait is probably not too long still

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
4 hours ago, LilyJ said:

When I looked at the statistics for immigrant visas for Norway, Sweden, and Denmark for 2018, the number was very low, so I imagine the wait is probably not too long still

They only had two spots/appointments/interviews every Thursday for K-1 visas, is that still the case? Makes sense if there's not many Scandinavians moving to the US. Some other countries have over ten interviews a day, five days a week... 😯

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Scandi said:

They only had two spots/appointments/interviews every Thursday for K-1 visas, is that still the case? Makes sense if there's not many Scandinavians moving to the US. Some other countries have over ten interviews a day, five days a week... 😯

I couldn't find about K1 country specifics, but for CR1/IR1, there was only around 200 total cases in Sweden embassy combined from all 3 countries for 2018 😵 So I would guess K1 would be around the same give or take

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
14 hours ago, Scandi said:

Okay that sounds good.

I just heard some were waiting months for an interview date, at other embassys.

Would it be wise to schedule the medical in advance, so it's all done before, and I can get an early as possible interview date? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
Just now, AlexDRavn92 said:

Okay that sounds good.

Would it be wise to schedule the medical in advance, so it's all done before, and I can get an early as possible interview date? 

In Norway you can get the medical without a case number. I have mine this following week, and I haven’t scheduled an interview date yet. Just keep in mind the medical is “good” for 6 months, so if you get it too early you might need a new one. But from what I’ve heard regarding the  Stockholm embassy it’s usually 2-4 weeks from received case to interview. I would go ahead and do it. It takes a few weeks to send the medical results over to the embassy anyway 😊

Timeline
3 minutes ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

Okay that sounds good.

But then again it is possible to attend the interview without your medical results ready. Your approval would just be left pending until they were submitted and reviewed. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, jules98 said:

In Norway you can get the medical without a case number. I have mine this following week, and I haven’t scheduled an interview date yet. Just keep in mind the medical is “good” for 6 months, so if you get it too early you might need a new one. But from what I’ve heard regarding the  Stockholm embassy it’s usually 2-4 weeks from received case to interview. I would go ahead and do it. It takes a few weeks to send the medical results over to the embassy anyway 😊

Okay, I think I will do the same as you and go ahead and schedule my medical.

What happens after you've done your medical and they send your results to the embassy?

Because at this point if your don't even have a case number yet, they probably have no records of you applying for a Greencard. 

Do they just accept the medical and leave it until the interview? 

Timeline
Just now, AlexDRavn92 said:

Okay, I think I will do the same as you and go ahead and schedule my medical.

What happens after you've done your medical and they send your results to the embassy?

Because at this point if your don't even have a case number yet, they probably have no records of you applying for a Greencard. 

Do they just accept the medical and leave it until the interview? 

Haha I was curious about the same but I emailed the clinic and asked about it and she said it would be fine. You need to take an X-ray, bloodwork and urine samples that need to be sent to the clinic (which takes 10-14 days) and then they submit it to the embassy (which could take an additional 10-14 day). We got our NOA2 1st of August so I’m pretty sure it would be there around the same time as they receive my case. In the mail I got from them, it states “ du MÅ ha intervjudato på ambassaden FØR vi kan dette deg opp til time hos oss og før du kan ta røntgen og blodprøve. Unntaket er forlovelsesvisum/K1, som skal ha den medisinske undersøkelsen før de får intervjudato». So i guess it sort of depends whether it’s a K1 or a CR1. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, jules98 said:

Haha I was curious about the same but I emailed the clinic and asked about it and she said it would be fine. You need to take an X-ray, bloodwork and urine samples that need to be sent to the clinic (which takes 10-14 days) and then they submit it to the embassy (which could take an additional 10-14 day). We got our NOA2 1st of August so I’m pretty sure it would be there around the same time as they receive my case. In the mail I got from them, it states “ du MÅ ha intervjudato på ambassaden FØR vi kan dette deg opp til time hos oss og før du kan ta røntgen og blodprøve. Unntaket er forlovelsesvisum/K1, som skal ha den medisinske undersøkelsen før de får intervjudato». So i guess it sort of depends whether it’s a K1 or a CR1. 

I see. The clinic in Denmark has very bad information about this whole thing, and I tried to call and the receptionist seemed to know nothing about what specific things I needed to bring. So that was a little bit frustrating. I heard people say that I can only schedule my medical when I have my case number, so I will wait till have that, but that should be this week according to NVC. And then im requesting an expedite at NVC.

Timeline
1 minute ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

I see. The clinic in Denmark has very bad information about this whole thing, and I tried to call and the receptionist seemed to know nothing about what specific things I needed to bring. So that was a little bit frustrating. I heard people say that I can only schedule my medical when I have my case number, so I will wait till have that, but that should be this week according to NVC. And then im requesting an expedite at NVC.

I tried calling too, but they only accepted requests on email (regarding the emigration process). I’m just bummed about having to travel this much to make this process work 🙄 first I have to go to Oslo to get the medical, and then to Stockholm for the interview. But hey, the things you do for love. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, jules98 said:

I tried calling too, but they only accepted requests on email (regarding the emigration process). I’m just bummed about having to travel this much to make this process work 🙄 first I have to go to Oslo to get the medical, and then to Stockholm for the interview. But hey, the things you do for love. 

That is true, it's alot of travelling.

Im just worried how I get back from Stockholm at the airport, when they keep your passport.

I know people are saying that they will accept other ID's, but still :)

Edited by AlexDRavn92

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.