Rob L

Why moving to Canada won’t save you from Trump

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

The left of liberals party is the NDP. It really sounds similar Bernies Platform

The NDP has never formed a federal government by themselves though. I always though Jack Leyton might have pulled it off and then he passed away at a relatively young age.

I think they have had mixed reviews at the provincial level. They had just lost an election in BC when I moved there so they were not viewed favorably at that time, as tends to be the norm after an election loss.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Canada needs to build the wall.

Canada needs to build the wall.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It probably would need to if the US and Canada swapped location.

Why can't the illegals just cross the Canada's porous border, like they cross US border?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

One of the things I think Trump is wrong about is building a wall. All we need to do is cut off government handouts for illegals and that would solve half the problem. The rest of the problem could be solved by giving them a jail sentence every time they come back after being deported. That is a generous policy considering most countries will give you a jail sentence before they deport you for the first time. I have absolutely no problem with immigration. I just think you should do it the legal way like my wife and step son are and many people on these forums have done. My wife and step son have to prove they don't have a serious criminal history or any illnesses that could be a threat to public health before they can come here. What is wrong with making everyone else do that before they come here? Giving illegals a pass on this is not fair to the rest of us who invest time and money doing things the right way.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

One of the things I think Trump is wrong about is building a wall. All we need to do is cut off government handouts for illegals and that would solve half the problem. The rest of the problem could be solved by giving them a jail sentence every time they come back after being deported. That is a generous policy considering most countries will give you a jail sentence before they deport you for the first time. I have absolutely no problem with immigration. I just think you should do it the legal way like my wife and step son are and many people on these forums have done. My wife and step son have to prove they don't have a serious criminal history or any illnesses that could be a threat to public health before they can come here. What is wrong with making everyone else do that before they come here? Giving illegals a pass on this is not fair to the rest of us who invest time and money doing things the right way.

OR just start levying massive fines and jail time for repeat offenders that hire theproblem solved . They will self deport, then wages will rise.

It's that simple

OR just start levying massive fines and jail time for repeat offenders that hire theproblem solved . They will self deport, then wages will rise.

It's that simple

I can't disagree with that. You are right that we need policies that cause many illegals to "self deport". Remove their incentives to come here illegally and they will either come here legally or not at all. As far as building a wall goes I think Trump was saying that to get support from the extreme right as Hillary said things that didn't make logical sense to get support from the extreme left. There are parts of the border that could use a wall but other parts would be better off with border patrol agents patrolling. Maybe build a wall was Trump's dumbed down way of saying that. We will have to wait and see though.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

I am going to create a chain of mobile taco units and flood Vancouver with authentic street Tacos ( one on every corner). The largest one will be right in Front of the yet to be completed Trump Tower.

This is not a mobile restaurant chain but a culinary arts demonstration powered by donations from appreciative patrons. To maintain authenticity I will only use Mexican citizens and bring them in under Cultural visas. If I am lucky I will get artistic and cultural grants to support my work.

If you have ever tasted Mexican food in Canada, you would understand that I am doing their culture a huge favor.

I'm going to open up an underground steak and burger joint that cooks the meat rare and medium rare.

The last time I was living in Canada, their conservative party did not even exist at the time. They didn't get enough seats to retain official party status. Sure they had the Harper government in between then and now, but socially I don't think there's a comparison to be made.

Canada's liberals are to the left of our Democrats, and then they have another major party to the left of that. And when those two both mess up and then can't work things out, sometimes the conservatives have a shot. But usually one of the two lefty parties get's enough support to keep the conservatives honest.

I was going to go up there next week since the kids are off school. I'm kind of glad we changed plans now. It was bad enough trying to explain Trumps appeal as a candidate. I can only imagine the questions now.

I will be there visiting Wifeys family over Christmas, should be fun.

They can. Right into the land of taxation.

That whole taxation shtick about Canada is way overblown. When you figure into the taxes paid their healthcare costs and other services they receive like paid maternity leave for both mother and father, not to mention the upkeep of their infrastructure which is head and shoulders above anything in the US, it pretty much comes out even with what we end up paying overall in the US for the same services. Canada is not really the liberal taxation Utopia everyone makes it out to be. They do get a pretty good return for moneys paid.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

That whole taxation shtick about Canada is way overblown. When you figure into the taxes paid their healthcare costs and other services they receive like paid maternity leave for both mother and father, not to mention the upkeep of their infrastructure which is head and shoulders above anything in the US, it pretty much comes out even with what we end up paying overall in the US for the same services. Canada is not really the liberal taxation Utopia everyone makes it out to be. They do get a pretty good return for moneys paid.

The lowest tax rate in Canada was 15% when I was there but that bracket went up to $40000. We have lower brackets here, but the 10% bracket ends at $8500.

If you ever end up living or working there, there are many cross border tax sites that analyze the tax differences. We don't have to take Dave's word for it. It's consistently been a more favorable tax situation for earned income up to around $80000 in Canada. After that, the US is better. If you are very wealthy, the Canadian government takes a much bigger share and doesn't leave many loopholes.

That analysis was just based on income. It doesn't look at other positives (like health care) or negatives (like GST), but it does account for mortgage deductions, which are not available in Canada. I wish I could find the site I used to use.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

on a negative note, my dear canadian consumers, your alcohol is sorely overpriced due to the government control/taxing..markup is stupid ridiculous. it varies depending on provence, but always bloated.

The lowest tax rate in Canada was 15% when I was there but that bracket went up to $40000. We have lower brackets here, but the 10% bracket ends at $8500.

If you ever end up living or working there, there are many cross border tax sites that analyze the tax differences. We don't have to take Dave's word for it. It's consistently been a more favorable tax situation for earned income up to around $80000 in Canada. After that, the US is better. If you are very wealthy, the Canadian government takes a much bigger share and doesn't leave many loopholes.

That analysis was just based on income. It doesn't look at other positives (like health care) or negatives (like GST), but it does account for mortgage deductions, which are not available in Canada. I wish I could find the site I used to use.

There are many factors that come into play and most people do not take the time to figure them in. The top 5% of wage earners aside, things come out pretty much even in the end when you figure out the services the Canadians receive in return for the higher taxes paid. I've also found that the average cost of real estate (outside of the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver), is much less than what we pay here. I could buy the identical house I have now in Mass for half of what I paid if I bought it in Windsor.

The only thing that burns me tax wise in Canada is the extremely high price for booze.

The only thing that burns me tax wise in Canada is the extremely high price for booze.

it not only jacks up the price, also severely limits selection.