Randy&Marie

GOT A LETTER FROM VERMONT THAT OUR CASE ARE ON HOLD BECAUSE OF SECURITY CHECK

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJMembers,

Please bare with my long letter. I decided to make a topic here about the letter we received from USCIS. Our case was filed May 16th 2016 and got transferred to Vermont Service Center from California Service Center last August 9th 2016. We called and talked to a Tier 2 agent and we have been advised that our case have been reviewed and done reviewing already and just waiting to be adjudicated. The agent even emailed the adjudicator to know more further about out case. But today we received this email from USCIS stating:

****We have placed your case on a processing hold because the required security checks remain pending. Until we receive the results of these security checks, we cannot move forward on your case. We require the results of security checks before we make a decision on any pending case.

Because of the security checks required in your specific case, normal processing times do not apply. If you have not already been contacted for fingerprinting, you may be contacted in the near future.

We cannot predict when we will receive the results of these security checks. Please be assured that we will make every effort to make a decision in your case as soon as the security checks are complete.

We hope this information is helpful to you.****

Its not really clear on when we can hear from them about that finger printing that they would need from my fiance. Plus isn't it the main reason why we got transferred in the first place? Because they say my fiance's record? I really don't understand what kind more security checks they needed to find out? Please VJMembers, if any of you had the same situation like ours, please let me know what to do and what to expect. They said 'Normal Processing Time" do not apply in our case. That means that even if VSC says within 5 months for I-129F that doesn't mean we can get approval within that timeframe. Please please help us. Thanks all in advance and God Bless...

Timeline

Hello VJMembers,

Please bare with my long letter. I decided to make a topic here about the letter we received from USCIS. Our case was filed May 16th 2016 and got transferred to Vermont Service Center from California Service Center last August 9th 2016. We called and talked to a Tier 2 agent and we have been advised that our case have been reviewed and done reviewing already and just waiting to be adjudicated. The agent even emailed the adjudicator to know more further about out case. But today we received this email from USCIS stating:

****We have placed your case on a processing hold because the required security checks remain pending. Until we receive the results of these security checks, we cannot move forward on your case. We require the results of security checks before we make a decision on any pending case.

Because of the security checks required in your specific case, normal processing times do not apply. If you have not already been contacted for fingerprinting, you may be contacted in the near future.

We cannot predict when we will receive the results of these security checks. Please be assured that we will make every effort to make a decision in your case as soon as the security checks are complete.

We hope this information is helpful to you.****

Its not really clear on when we can hear from them about that finger printing that they would need from my fiance. Plus isn't it the main reason why we got transferred in the first place? Because they say my fiance's record? I really don't understand what kind more security checks they needed to find out? Please VJMembers, if any of you had the same situation like ours, please let me know what to do and what to expect. They said 'Normal Processing Time" do not apply in our case. That means that even if VSC says within 5 months for I-129F that doesn't mean we can get approval within that timeframe. Please please help us. Thanks all in advance and God Bless...

Welcome to the world of administrative processing, my fiancé went to the interview, was approved they took her finger prints at the time. Was told that her visa would be sent in ten days. That was on June 29th 2016. They never notified us that when they did security check on my fiancé another name similar to hers was red flagged. She contacted them every two weeks after the first month was told the visa was on the way by the next week. A month ago they finally told her about the security check issue, but that it had been resolved and they would contact her soon by email informing her the visa was sent. That was a month ago, and still no visa. I think that administrative processing is where visa's go to die. I hope that is not the case for you but I must tell you that it can take months or even years for them to act. It is my opinion that when they have no reasons to deny a visa but still don't want to approve a visa, they use AP as a way to do it.

What has frustrated us is the lack of information and transparency regarding this matter. From not even informing us of the problem, to telling us for two months that the visa was on its way. We have continued to call send requests for clearification but no response thus far. I wish I could give you hope, but it has truly been a frustrating and futile experience for us. I hope and pray you will not experience the same.

Ben

Edited by drben

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Something popped up somewhere during the background check that triggered the "alarm" and haulted the process it sounds like.

A lot of times it's having same name/similar name/birth date when it gets run through the system.

Neither of you have any criminal history? Or properly disclosed of them?

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Something popped up somewhere during the background check that triggered the "alarm" and haulted the process it sounds like.

A lot of times it's having same name/similar name/birth date when it gets run through the system.

I think her fiance (USC) has a record because she said

" Plus isn't it the main reason why we got transferred in the first place? Because they say my fiance's record? I really don't understand what kind more security checks they needed to find out? "

And yes, at the moment you're on their clock now. We don't know the details of your case, other than your fiance has a record, your case was sent to Vermont, and it's currently pending background checks. It definitely won't be in the 5 month time line, but I think really all you can do is keep checking on it? Maybe someone might mention contacting a congressman, but I'd say this will be a long process.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

Hello, thank you for having a time and replying. Our case though is not yet on the "Interview Stage". Ours is just getting an approval or NOA2 from USCIS. My fiance (USC) have a record and that is probably the reason for Security Check. I was just wondering if maybe some of our co members enlighten me on how we can cope with this. Its very frustrating. Thank you and God Bless.

Welcome to the world of administrative processing, my fiancé went to the interview, was approved they took her finger prints at the time. Was told that her visa would be sent in ten days. That was on June 29th 2016. They never notified us that when they did security check on my fiancé another name similar to hers was red flagged. She contacted them every two weeks after the first month was told the visa was on the way by the next week. A month ago they finally told her about the security check issue, but that it had been resolved and they would contact her soon by email informing her the visa was sent. That was a month ago, and still no visa. I think that administrative processing is where visa's go to die. I hope that is not the case for you but I must tell you that it can take months or even years for them to act. It is my opinion that when they have no reasons to deny a visa but still don't want to approve a visa, they use AP as a way to do it.

What has frustrated us is the lack of information and transparency regarding this matter. From not even informing us of the problem, to telling us for two months that the visa was on its way. We have continued to call send requests for clearification but no response thus far. I wish I could give you hope, but it has truly been a frustrating and futile experience for us. I hope and pray you will not experience the same.

Ben

Timeline

Hello, thank you for having a time and replying. Our case though is not yet on the "Interview Stage". Ours is just getting an approval or NOA2 from USCIS. My fiance (USC) have a record and that is probably the reason for Security Check. I was just wondering if maybe some of our co members enlighten me on how we can cope with this. Its very frustrating. Thank you and God Bless.

What "KIND" of criminal record are we talking about?

A security check can also consist of people that are on inside database watch lists of sorts. For example - he could be on a "no-fly" list or other Homeland Security type database. This can happen to someone in the south west Philippines if he is a known associate of some of the Islamic extremists there... you may not know of that.... and no one would tell you.

Things like this happen.

If you do make it into an airport - other strange things will happen such as being moved to secondary screening. No one will tell you anything - you will only notice strange things like that.

K1 VISA
10/23/16....I-129F FEDEX 2nd day to Lewisville, TX
10/26/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/28/16....NOA1 Text and Email

10/28/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/04/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

w..a...i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

11/22/16....NOA2 Text Only

11/22/16....NOA2 Approval Date - no email yet
11/28/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

12/06/16....Called NVC - No case yet (15 days after NOA2)

12/12/16....Called NVC - I-129F Received - no case number yet.

12/13/16....Case Number Received

12/15/16....Case status set as "In Transit"  to US Embassy in Manilla, PH

12/19/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/03/17....NVC replied to email providing NVC letter and info

01/04/17....Medical Completed

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

02/15/17....Visa In Hand :jest:

02/17/17....CFO Interview, Yellow sticker in hand

03/07/17....POE - San Francisco, CA

Timeline

Hello thank you for having time and replying. My fiance has indeed have a record. Actually he is still on Parole now until 2019. But we didn't included that in our Form I-129F. Because they were just asking a certain categories of felony. And his doesn't fall with any of them. I just wish and hope that someone here have or had the same case like ours. So we would know what to do and how to cope with it. Thank you and God Bless.

Timeline

Hello thank you for having a time and replying. Yes it was very disappointing not knowing what will happen. I thought maybe then that they weren't too strict with their own people (USC's). Plus he already paid for what ever he did. Also I think if the foreign fiance alredy know about his background its in her discretion to pursue or not the relationship. I never see any danger or whatsoever to my fiance. And we have been together for almost 6 years. He's been here twice and tried again this year October 2016. But he got held off because apparently the Philippines records updated and saw his past and that he is on Parole. I guess people who are trying to live a normal life isn't allowed once you have a record. Thank you and God Bless.

I think her fiance (USC) has a record because she said

And yes, at the moment you're on their clock now. We don't know the details of your case, other than your fiance has a record, your case was sent to Vermont, and it's currently pending background checks. It definitely won't be in the 5 month time line, but I think really all you can do is keep checking on it? Maybe someone might mention contacting a congressman, but I'd say this will be a long process.

Timeline

Hi thank you for having a time and replying. He is actually added just this year in the No Fly list. After he just attempt to come here for the third time. He isn't included in those kind of things. But he is still on Parole until 2019. So that is the ground they use for not letting him enter. I guess the new administration has some vendetta for the USC's. Because my fiance get to visit here before twice without any problem. Thank you and God Bless.

What "KIND" of criminal record are we talking about?

A security check can also consist of people that are on inside database watch lists of sorts. For example - he could be on a "no-fly" list or other Homeland Security type database. This can happen to someone in the south west Philippines if he is a known associate of some of the Islamic extremists there... you may not know of that.... and no one would tell you.

Things like this happen.

If you do make it into an airport - other strange things will happen such as being moved to secondary screening. No one will tell you anything - you will only notice strange things like that.

Timeline

Hi thank you for having a time and replying. He is actually added just this year in the No Fly list. After he just attempt to come here for the third time. He isn't included in those kind of things. But he is still on Parole until 2019. So that is the ground they use for not letting him enter. I guess the new administration has some vendetta for the USC's. Because my fiance get to visit here before twice without any problem. Thank you and God Bless.

Ok - Can I ask what part of the Philippines he is associated with? Would it by chance be in the SouthWest Phillpines?

And.. if hes on the no-fly-list... how do you intend on bringing him here? The no-fly list is designated to protect the citizens of America - so I think if he showed up at any border entry he would be welcomed by several people in dark sunglasses and dark suits.

Edited by jstryker

K1 VISA

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

Timeline

Ok - Can I ask what part of the Philippines he is associated with? Would it by chance be in the SouthWest Phillpines?

And.. if hes on the no-fly-list... how do you intend on bringing him here? The no-fly list is designated to protect the citizens of America - so I think if he showed up at any border entry he would be welcomed by several people in dark sunglasses and dark suits.

WAIT - I misunderstood -

your fiance is the USC and you are the philppine national and he is having trouble getting into the Philippines?

That means he is a felon. Felons of certain crimes are not allowed to travel internationally.

Again I apologize for the misunderstanding - I am used to the USC petitioner doing all the legwork for the research part of the K1 journey - it really throws me for a loop when the foreign national is doing all the work. Kind of throws out all kinds red flags to me at least. Nevertheless....

International Travel for Convicted Felons

Millions of people travel internationally every year. However, anyone who has been convicted of a felony may not be able to leave the country as easily as non convicts can. Though there are rules and restrictions regarding the international travel of convicted felons, they are still almost always eligible to receive a U.S. passport. There are some exceptions to the rule though, including anyone convicted of international drug trafficking. Other actions that could keep a felon from obtaining a U.S. passport include being subject to a subpoena or a federal arrest on felony charges, having unpaid loans stemming from being a prisoner abroad and being told by a judge that they can’t leave the country. Anyone that owes more than $5,000 in child support will not be able to obtain a U.S. passport whether they are a convicted felon or not. Aside from these exceptions, any convicted felon can still apply for, and receive, a valid U.S. passport.

In most cases involving international travel, it is possible to spend up to 90 days in a foreign country without needing anything other than a passport. Any stay that extends beyond 90 days almost always requires the person to have a valid visa allowing them to stay in the country longer. There are certain countries that refuse to grant a visa to any convicted felon, regardless of circumstances.

Different countries have different rules regarding the allowance of convicted felons to enter the country. For example, a convicted felon cannot enter Belgium for either business or pleasure without possessing a plane ticket for a return flight to the U.S. and a sufficient amount of money available to them as well.

Romania has strict rules for entering their country. If someone intends to stay in Romania for more than 90 days they are required to obtain an extension of stay. It is required that the person also obtains an exit visa in case they end up staying longer than planned after the 90 days have passed. Those who don’t obtain the necessary visas may be subject to expensive fines.

I will modify this from my own experiences of myself and people I know...

The child support level when they pull your passport is 2500. Trust me I know. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/legal-matters/child-support.html

Also - some countries like Canada - a simple DUI will keep you out.

Edited by jstryker

K1 VISA

02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

Timeline

Hello, yes the USC is thr one who has a felony. That is why I mentioned above that he is even on Parole until 2019. But I am aware of all that from the start of our relationship. He told me about his past from the start. Anyway my fiance has been able to travel here in the Philippines twice. Until this year when he attempt again to visit, he got held off. Somehow the new administration here in the Philippines has some vendetta for the USC's. Because his record got shown on the airport that he is still on Parole. So he didn't get to enter the Philippines and just stayed in the airport until the next day. He flew back to US the next day. I am the foreign fiancee and my fiance are together in this account. He is working in a shop so he couldn't always inquire and investigate about our case. That is why I took over whenever I can to find out. I find their rules being unfair to the people who paid their case and yet suffering from not having a normal life. Its just not fair. Thank you and God Bless.

WAIT - I misunderstood -

your fiance is the USC and you are the philppine national and he is having trouble getting into the Philippines?

That means he is a felon. Felons of certain crimes are not allowed to travel internationally.

Again I apologize for the misunderstanding - I am used to the USC petitioner doing all the legwork for the research part of the K1 journey - it really throws me for a loop when the foreign national is doing all the work. Kind of throws out all kinds red flags to me at least. Nevertheless....

International Travel for Convicted Felons

Millions of people travel internationally every year. However, anyone who has been convicted of a felony may not be able to leave the country as easily as non convicts can. Though there are rules and restrictions regarding the international travel of convicted felons, they are still almost always eligible to receive a U.S. passport. There are some exceptions to the rule though, including anyone convicted of international drug trafficking. Other actions that could keep a felon from obtaining a U.S. passport include being subject to a subpoena or a federal arrest on felony charges, having unpaid loans stemming from being a prisoner abroad and being told by a judge that they cant leave the country. Anyone that owes more than $5,000 in child support will not be able to obtain a U.S. passport whether they are a convicted felon or not. Aside from these exceptions, any convicted felon can still apply for, and receive, a valid U.S. passport.

In most cases involving international travel, it is possible to spend up to 90 days in a foreign country without needing anything other than a passport. Any stay that extends beyond 90 days almost always requires the person to have a valid visa allowing them to stay in the country longer. There are certain countries that refuse to grant a visa to any convicted felon, regardless of circumstances.

Different countries have different rules regarding the allowance of convicted felons to enter the country. For example, a convicted felon cannot enter Belgium for either business or pleasure without possessing a plane ticket for a return flight to the U.S. and a sufficient amount of money available to them as well.

Romania has strict rules for entering their country. If someone intends to stay in Romania for more than 90 days they are required to obtain an extension of stay. It is required that the person also obtains an exit visa in case they end up staying longer than planned after the 90 days have passed. Those who dont obtain the necessary visas may be subject to expensive fines.

I will modify this from my own experiences of myself and people I know...

The child support level when they pull your passport is 2500. Trust me I know. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/legal-matters/child-support.html

Also - some countries like Canada - a simple DUI will keep you out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you are being very vague regarding what type of felony your fiance was convicted of, without knowing details there isn't much people can say or do to try to help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Hello thank you for having a time and replying. I am so sorry for that matter. I didn't intend not to include what kind of felony does he had. He had a Sodomy case and served almost 10 years for it. But the state he got charged have a mandatory Parole time after he got released. So he will remain on Parole until 2019.

you are being very vague regarding what type of felony your fiance was convicted of, without knowing details there isn't much people can say or do to try to help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.