Alisha510

Fastest way to get Emergency Visa to go see critically ill senior mother in ICU in USA (merged)

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I disagree, although it could be a country specific thing.

With my personal history I should be an automatic slamdunk for denial. VWP overstay, children in the US, at that time living with parents, pretty mediocre job and not a huge amount of cash. I should have been in and out of the embassy before my coffee had a chance to cool clutching my latest 214(b) letter.

But the interviewer had me at the window for a good 30-40 mins, asking many many questions and giving me every opportunity to convince him that I have no desire to live in the States.

It was my failure to properly prove my intentions that got me denied, not a lazy CO who'd already decided my outcome before I got there.

I feel no animosity toward the COs or any part of the Embassy side of the system. They work within the laws they have to follow, Gods know I wouldn't want their job.

It's the system they have to follow that is what's broken.

When the COs know that every B2 they approve can easily have the baggage claim change of mind and adjust with little or no repurcussions, or overstay for years, sticking their finger up to the system before getting their greencard without any problems, they will be that little bit more cautious about who they approve.

Nothing will ever totally prevent overstays, there will always be people who'll decide to live under the radar. And quite frankly I think every developed country needs that, needs that group of people who'll do the jobs that no legal residents will do, because even a hard life under the radar could be better than what they had back home.

But what is stupid is that the US actively promotes this behaviour by providing ways for those people to become legal.

I'm amazed that anyone with a B2 or VWP ever bothers to go through the waiting and stresses of getting a proper immigrants visa when the system allows itself to be abused so easily.

I don't think a monetary bond would work, there will always be those who are willing to lose that money for their quick greencard. And eventually someone will take it to court as being unfair and eventually one of them will get a judge who agrees and then there'll be another bit of case law for people here to throw around whenever the subject comes up.

And personally I disagree with the bond idea as it would just be yet another part of life where the wealthy can get an advantage that normal people are denied.

I've suggested in other threads having an upgraded version of a B2 for those who have trouble getting a regular one. A tourist visa with zero options for getting a GC, harsher penalties for abuse and stricter controls.

Such a visa could have seen the OP being able to say her final goodbyes to her mother.

The system as it is needs a complete overhaul though.

AOS from tourist visas needs to be scrapped, work and study visas are different as they involve people being in the country long term, developing relationships. But people going on a 2 week vacation and suddenly deciding to leave their life behind and stay? Nah.

Forgiveness for immediate relatives needs to stop, what's the point of having rules if you're just going to forgive people for breaking them?

As it is a couple could enter the US as tourists, have a child on US soil, live under the radar, illegally working for 21 years then all is forgiven when their child reaches adulthood and petitions for their AOS. Madness.

Harsher penalties for employers. Maybe someone with more knowledge could tell me, does the forgiveness for illegal work that happens for IR AOS cases get extended to the employers of those illegal immigrants? That would be nasty, "You've lived here illegally for 30 years and worked that whole time, we'll let you off that because you found a USC to marry. So you're ok but your boss is going to prison for giving you the job".

As I said before, none of this would conpletely get rid of illegal immigrants. But some of those overstayers might think twice before missing that flight home if there was no path to legal residency in their future.

I had very little choice about my own overstay but if I'd known then what I know now about the consequences of that decision then I'd have moved heaven and Earth to get my backside home before my time had run out.

Country/consulate specific. Here, they don't spend more than 5 minutes interviewing anyone (for B-2's) from what I've heard/seen via the people I know. I guess if your country has good relations with the USA, they'll go ahead and listen to your story....if the country has less than perfect relations with the US, they don't care much what you have to say...that seems to be the difference.

Also, the CO's here have godawful Russian (mind you, this is the consulate not the embassy...I hope the embassy workers can at least speak the local language but I haven't dealt with them directly yet.) It's just kind of a joke thinking that these people have been sent by the government halfway around the globe to deal with locals and they can't speak the language beyond a laughably low level. Yes, I get that Russian is hard along with many other foreign languages, but seriously, you'd think fluency to at least intermediate level in the local language would be a minimum requirement for being a CO.

Basically in my situation the CO told my husband in extremely busted Russian: "Our visa laws are very strict. Go apply for another type of visa for immigration. We will never grant you a visitor visa. Bye." The CO even mentioned the K-3, lol, which is a joke because everyone on this site knows it's obsolete and pointless. No wonder so many people come here asking about the K-3....if CO's are actively recommending it to people, you can't blame anyone for asking about it here. But yeah, I mean obviously this guy was following someone else's orders/protocol...namely the problematic system that you mentioned above which allows people with USC relatives to stay and adjust so easily.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There will be outliers but most Consulate's interviews are a few minutes. Location does not matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I agree that adjustment from work and study visas should be possible. These are people who have already consciously made a decision to legitimately leave their country for a period of time to experience life in the USA. Many people meet their marriage partners through work or study so it's not unusual for these people to subsequently fall in love and wish to stay. The US has already become their temporary home. But AOS from tourist visas or visa waiver status needs to be overhauled. Either it should be allowed for immediate family even with intent or it should be completely stopped. As it stands currently, I have visions of airport parking lots all over the world with abandoned cars gathering dust because the owners went to the USA for a 2-week holiday and decided to stay. Landlords wondering if they'll ever get the keys back. Dogs waiting for their owners to return. Homes filled with possessions. Mail gathering at the door. Work piled on desks. In almost all cases I refuse to believe that they had no intention to stay when they packed their bag to go. I personally know of people who have made it quite clear at the time of leaving for the airport that they have no intention of returning. They bought a return ticket to make it look believable but they had already quit their jobs, sold/donated/rehomed their possessions and pets and in one case even had a farewell party.

[There's a running joke in parts of South Asia.. goes something along:

USemb CO: How long do you need a tourist visa for, 6 months or one year?

Applicant: Doesn't matter officer, as you please! (thinking, even if it's for a day, once I reach the US, I am not coming back.)]

There are no cars gathering dust, no shocked landlords, no uncollected mail, no work piled up. Every family member is in on the story.. B2 stamped, pack the bags and (hopefully) see you in a few years once a green card is in hand. The ones fooled are the CO and CBP.

As long as USCIS allows AOS from B2, this ain't stopping.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

[There's a running joke in parts of South Asia.. goes something along:

USemb CO: How long do you need a tourist visa for, 6 months or one year?

Applicant: Doesn't matter officer, as you please! (thinking, even if it's for a day, once I reach the US, I am not coming back.)]

There are no cars gathering dust, no shocked landlords, no uncollected mail, no work piled up. Every family member is in on the story.. B2 stamped, pack the bags and (hopefully) see you in a few years once a green card is in hand. The ones fooled are the CO and CBP.

As long as USCIS allows AOS from B2, this ain't stopping.

I've always said that most illegal immigrant's goal is to get there feet on US soil and worry about the legality of it later.

Saw on the news last night where ICE raided 7 restaurants in NYC for employing illegal immigrants. It seems that fear of being illegal is not as dreadful as many think due to them still being able to earn a living.

I also believe that most overstayers do not overstay on their first trip. 10 years (as in the 10 year visa) is a long time of opportunities. Many probably come a few times to get a feel of things, then when ready they make the move.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I've always said that most illegal immigrant's goal is to get there feet on US soil and worry about the legality of it later. Yep

Saw on the news last night where ICE raided 7 restaurants in NYC for employing illegal immigrants. It seems that fear of being illegal is not as dreadful as many think due to them still being able to earn a living. Many pay life savings to scrupulous agents for a chance to get to America any way, shape, or form; a B2 is a golden ticket by comparison.

I also believe that most overstayers do not overstay on their first trip. 10 years (as in the 10 year visa) is a long time of opportunities. Many probably come a few times to get a feel of things, then when ready they make the move. Spend initial trips laying the groundwork for a future AOS.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP's situation has reached its conclusion, and this thread is evolving into discussions of immigration policy. For these reasons, this thread is now closed to further comment.

Discussions of visa policy can be started in the General Immigration Discussion forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.