amishbaby

Is the petitioner allowed food stamps?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

It might be worth it to think about waiting then for the K1. Sometimes one has to figure out where their priorities are.

Immigration is very expensive and so are the ensuring expenses. One person supporting a family of 3 with only 16k during the process is going to be hard, really hard.

Yeah, I have to wait anyways. This is just me trying to gather as much information as I can. I want to be informed about the process of it all. I still have to get a job, meet him, and then maybe by mid 2017 I'll be able to petition him. I'm also still looking for a joint sponsor.

So, if I have a joint sponsor who makes the full 125% income guidelines, and then they also see that my mom is willing to support him.... is that two joint sponsors? Like how does that work? Let's just say I didn't get a job right away, and I only have her income and a joint sponsor. Is that three I-134 forms that have to be filled out? Me *since I'm petitioning him*, the Joint sponsor who makes the full income, and her? Or does she not fill one out because she doesn't make 125% of the guidelines? I just want to make sure I understand everything. This is so much information. Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

When we first met... <3 8/2015 - First met. 10/6/2015 - Started dating. 9/23/2016 - His first visit! 12/23/2016 - Left America. 12/25/2016 - Landed in Australia!  K1 Visa 3/23/17 - I-129F sent. 4/3/17 - NOA1 email confirmation/notice date. 4/7/17 - NOA1 hard copy received!  8/2/17 - Contacted USCIS and spoke with a Tier-2 officer, also contacted my senator. 8/3/17 - Constituent Advocate contacted me and I put in an inquiry on my case. 8/3/17 NOA2 Approved the day after I contacted the Tier-2 officer. 8/7/17 - NOA2 hard copy received! (The same day I received an email from my senators office that I was approved) NVC 8/24/17 - NVC received our case. 8/24/17 - Case number received via email. 8/24/17 - Left the NVC to the consulate Consulate  9/4/17   -  Consulate recieved. 9/4/17   -  Packet 3 received. 9/5/17   -  Packet 3 sent! 9/7/17   -  Packet 4 received. 9/7/17   -  Packet 4 sent!  9/7/17   -  Medical scheduled for September 14th, 10:45 AEST. 9/7/17   -  Interview Scheduled for September 26th, 8:30 AEST.  9/14/17 -  Medical completed. 9/26/17 -  Interview complete. Result: Approved! He's not leaving me again. <3  POE and AOS 9/30/17 - Visa packet recieved with POE documents. 10/2/17 - POE at LAX successful! 10/2/17 - Arrives at my house at 12:17am through Lyft, yay! 10/5/17 - DJ booked for wedding, applied for a marriage license. 10/10/17 - Engagement ring and Wedding bands purchased (one band needed to be adjusted and the other was ordered online). We also made our first attempt for a social security card (told us to come back in a week), and we ordered our three tier wedding cake for the wedding. 10/11/17 - Marriage license in hand. 10/16/17 - Catering food list and price completed and ordered. 10/18/17 - Honeymoon reservation booked 11/24-11/26 (2 days). 10/19/17 - Social Security (2nd attempt) successful and will recieve in two weeks, and we ordered a keg of beer for the wedding, and picked up my fiancee's wedding band and left my wedding band there to be resized again (with my engagement ring as well). *10/3/17 - 10/22/17 shopping for decorations, supplies, and last minute stuff for the wedding.*  Wedding Date: November 11th 2017. TBA: 10/24/17 Cameron's social  security card arrives,  10/29/17 Pick up engagement ring and wedding band, 11/2/17 Finalize our RSVP list for our total number of people coming to the wedding, 11/1/17 Arrange the wedding favors with candy and thank you cards, wedding rehearsal and setting up the wedding/reception hall (tons to do). 11/6/17 Pay for the wedding cake (they wouldn't take early payment),  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Yeah, I have to wait anyways. This is just me trying to gather as much information as I can. I want to be informed about the process of it all. I still have to get a job, meet him, and then maybe by mid 2017 I'll be able to petition him. I'm also still looking for a joint sponsor.

So, if I have a joint sponsor who makes the full 125% income guidelines, and then they also see that my mom is willing to support him.... is that two joint sponsors? Like how does that work? Let's just say I didn't get a job right away, and I only have her income and a joint sponsor. Is that three I-134 forms that have to be filled out? Me *since I'm petitioning him*, the Joint sponsor who makes the full income, and her? Or does she not fill one out because she doesn't make 125% of the guidelines? I just want to make sure I understand everything. This is so much information. Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

Oh, silly me thinking you were already much further in the process. Having been a year away from finishing my degree when I applied for the initial I-129F for my husband, I think I would have gone back and told myself to wait until my degree was done.

4 years later, a baby, several moves, and I'm still not done with my degree.

Besides you, the only person filling out sponsorship paperwork would be the person qualifying to be a sponsor. Your mother would not unless she earned more money.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Oh, silly me thinking you were already much further in the process. Having been a year away from finishing my degree when I applied for the initial I-129F for my husband, I think I would have gone back and told myself to wait until my degree was done.

4 years later, a baby, several moves, and I'm still not done with my degree.

Besides you, the only person filling out sponsorship paperwork would be the person qualifying to be a sponsor. Your mother would not unless she earned more money.

Oh, it's fine. Most people on here have already started the process. I'm very analytical and just try to be as well-informed about these things. I'd rather have the right information before I go petitioning him and wasting time getting a denial.

Thanks for that information. It's really helpful. My search continues! Man oh man this is so stressful. I'm trying to keep positive about all of this. I don't graduate until 2020, maybe earlier. I'm getting a bachelors in Science and it's lots and lots of math. But it's gonna be worth it in the end. I see this is going to be a looooooooong journey.

When we first met... <3 8/2015 - First met. 10/6/2015 - Started dating. 9/23/2016 - His first visit! 12/23/2016 - Left America. 12/25/2016 - Landed in Australia!  K1 Visa 3/23/17 - I-129F sent. 4/3/17 - NOA1 email confirmation/notice date. 4/7/17 - NOA1 hard copy received!  8/2/17 - Contacted USCIS and spoke with a Tier-2 officer, also contacted my senator. 8/3/17 - Constituent Advocate contacted me and I put in an inquiry on my case. 8/3/17 NOA2 Approved the day after I contacted the Tier-2 officer. 8/7/17 - NOA2 hard copy received! (The same day I received an email from my senators office that I was approved) NVC 8/24/17 - NVC received our case. 8/24/17 - Case number received via email. 8/24/17 - Left the NVC to the consulate Consulate  9/4/17   -  Consulate recieved. 9/4/17   -  Packet 3 received. 9/5/17   -  Packet 3 sent! 9/7/17   -  Packet 4 received. 9/7/17   -  Packet 4 sent!  9/7/17   -  Medical scheduled for September 14th, 10:45 AEST. 9/7/17   -  Interview Scheduled for September 26th, 8:30 AEST.  9/14/17 -  Medical completed. 9/26/17 -  Interview complete. Result: Approved! He's not leaving me again. <3  POE and AOS 9/30/17 - Visa packet recieved with POE documents. 10/2/17 - POE at LAX successful! 10/2/17 - Arrives at my house at 12:17am through Lyft, yay! 10/5/17 - DJ booked for wedding, applied for a marriage license. 10/10/17 - Engagement ring and Wedding bands purchased (one band needed to be adjusted and the other was ordered online). We also made our first attempt for a social security card (told us to come back in a week), and we ordered our three tier wedding cake for the wedding. 10/11/17 - Marriage license in hand. 10/16/17 - Catering food list and price completed and ordered. 10/18/17 - Honeymoon reservation booked 11/24-11/26 (2 days). 10/19/17 - Social Security (2nd attempt) successful and will recieve in two weeks, and we ordered a keg of beer for the wedding, and picked up my fiancee's wedding band and left my wedding band there to be resized again (with my engagement ring as well). *10/3/17 - 10/22/17 shopping for decorations, supplies, and last minute stuff for the wedding.*  Wedding Date: November 11th 2017. TBA: 10/24/17 Cameron's social  security card arrives,  10/29/17 Pick up engagement ring and wedding band, 11/2/17 Finalize our RSVP list for our total number of people coming to the wedding, 11/1/17 Arrange the wedding favors with candy and thank you cards, wedding rehearsal and setting up the wedding/reception hall (tons to do). 11/6/17 Pay for the wedding cake (they wouldn't take early payment),  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you get a different joint sponsor, then your mother does not fill out anything. You would supply your I-134 and the joint sponsor supplies their own. Your mother would be out of the equation at that point.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This is the situation. I live with my mother, who makes 16k a year. I'm getting a job, might start in a next couple of weeks. Since I live with my mother and she has agreed to supporting him as well, she is going to fill out an I-134 affidavit of support as well as me. She is on food stamps right now, and my name is also on it. I also receive medical assistance. Now I'll be starting a job, so were probably getting rid of the food stamps anyways, but I was still wondering if she is allowed to receive benefits and I am....? I would just like to know so that I can be as well-informed about this as I can...

16k a year is still small for two people talk of 3. You will be better off to find someone who makes more money.

16k a year is still small for two people talk of 3. You will be better off to find someone who makes more money...

You will be better off waiting until you can sponsor by yourself.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yes, that is the plan. I don't want to file this until I have a job, so that when it comes time to petitioning they will see that although she doesn't make 125% on her own, she does make 100%. And if they can see that I do have income with hers that go over the 125% guidelines for the I-864, they might be lenient. I can understand if she just reached 100% and there was no other income for the household, but if I'm working and we end up making about 30k a year, it's over the 125% guidelines for when the time comes to fill out the I-864.

Have you ever worked before? If you havent,then I am worried you finding a job isn't no guarantee. What shows you will even hold a job for a long time? So far you need someone make more money to cover 3 people. Besides I wouldn't make such contract between uscis and a myself for you even if I were your best friend or even family member. There's a difference between someone working and under the guidelines and someone getting a job for immigration purposes.

Yes, that is the plan. I don't want to file this until I have a job, so that when it comes time to petitioning they will see that although she doesn't make 125% on her own, she does make 100%. And if they can see that I do have income with hers that go over the 125% guidelines for the I-864, they might be lenient. I can understand if she just reached 100% and there was no other income for the household, but if I'm working and we end up making about 30k a year, it's over the 125% guidelines for when the time comes to fill out the I-864.

Have you ever worked before? If you havent,then I am worried you finding a job isn't no guarantee. What shows you will even hold a job for a long time? So far you need someone make more money to cover 3 people. Besides I wouldn't make such contract between uscis and a myself for you even if I were your best friend or even family member. There's a difference between someone making under the required guidelines and someone getting a job just for immigration purposes.

Timeline

You will be better off waiting until you can sponsor by yourself.

I'm getting a joint sponsor. I find out today if I get this other job, and I figured out our earnings. Our household will be (if I get this job) 21,890.50 for a household of two people. I looked at the i-864p form and the guidelines at 125% is $20,025. If I have a joint sponsor and those are our earnings I'm going for it.

Timeline

Have you ever worked before? If you havent,then I am worried you finding a job isn't no guarantee. What shows you will even hold a job for a long time? So far you need someone make more money to cover 3 people. Besides I wouldn't make such contract between uscis and a myself for you even if I were your best friend or even family member. There's a difference between someone working and under the guidelines and someone getting a job for immigration purposes.

Have you ever worked before? If you havent,then I am worried you finding a job isn't no guarantee. What shows you will even hold a job for a long time? So far you need someone make more money to cover 3 people. Besides I wouldn't make such contract between uscis and a myself for you even if I were your best friend or even family member. There's a difference between someone making under the required guidelines and someone getting a job just for immigration purposes.

Yeah, I'm sorry but what kind of question is that? By the way, a lot of people here didn't have ANY income and had a joint sponsor and still got it. Your information is pretty much subjective and of opinion. I've had 3 jobs in the past. I know they don't care what your past is, they only care what your current earnings are and as long as you can show for the fact you can support the beneficiary. Me finding a job is no problem. I already got an interview for a job, and today I find out if I get this other job since I had one offered to me at a hotel. You should really stop being a bit cocky, I find it's in bad taste. I'm not "getting" a job for immigration purposes, thank you very much. You should probably know the facts, or rather, actually know me before you go assuming things. I'm in college and I need the money. You don't know my life situation. Me getting a job is not merely to get him on a k1. It's a supporting factor, but not on that basis alone. So, once again, I have worked 3 different jobs. I've worked in manufacturing, health, and some cleaning jobs. Your assumptions are ignorant.

By the way, you repeated yourself.

Timeline

If you get a different joint sponsor, then your mother does not fill out anything. You would supply your I-134 and the joint sponsor supplies their own. Your mother would be out of the equation at that point.

If we get approved on the I-134 and everything were to go smoothly, when it comes time to change AOS, is that when the I-864 comes into play? And how does that work with I-864P? Can my mom include herself then? I'm a bit confused on this part.

Timeline

I'm getting a joint sponsor. I find out today if I get this other job, and I figured out our earnings. Our household will be (if I get this job) 21,890.50 for a household of two people. I looked at the i-864p form and the guidelines at 125% is $20,025. If I have a joint sponsor and those are our earnings I'm going for it.

Also, I know that the I-134 goes by the 125% guidelines so either way as long as I have a joint sponsor who meets the guidelines I consider myself safe as long as I have a job.

Timeline

Yeah, I'm sorry but what kind of question is that? By the way, a lot of people here didn't have ANY income and had a joint sponsor and still got it. Your information is pretty much subjective and of opinion. I've had 3 jobs in the past. I know they don't care what your past is, they only care what your current earnings are and as long as you can show for the fact you can support the beneficiary. Me finding a job is no problem. I already got an interview for a job, and today I find out if I get this other job since I had one offered to me at a hotel. You should really stop being a bit cocky, I find it's in bad taste. I'm not "getting" a job for immigration purposes, thank you very much. You should probably know the facts, or rather, actually know me before you go assuming things. I'm in college and I need the money. You don't know my life situation. Me getting a job is not merely to get him on a k1. It's a supporting factor, but not on that basis alone. So, once again, I have worked 3 different jobs. I've worked in manufacturing, health, and some cleaning jobs. Your assumptions are ignorant.

I only asked if you've worked before because that history is a huge factor in this process. Well you can go ahead and do what you want.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If we get approved on the I-134 and everything were to go smoothly, when it comes time to change AOS, is that when the I-864 comes into play? And how does that work with I-864P? Can my mom include herself then? I'm a bit confused on this part.

If the K-1 is approved, then when you need to file for AOS after marriage, yes, that is when you need the I-864. You can provide your I-864 and your mom can fill out an I-864A as your household member and agree to have her income combined with yours to meet the income requirement.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

So what if you're getting a job for immigration purposes? We do whatever we can to get our loved ones here, and no one should tell you that getting a job to marry your fiance' is an issue. I applaud you for taking the time to work these issues out, and actually doing your research ahead of time. Most people do not do this, and end up in some sort of dilemma during their immigration process. Good luck.

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Good for you! Im proud that you're trying to do it on your own, especially in school. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.