Yahudi

DV won but i have no address for my Green Card delivery :/

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

I've seen crazier on this site. And I'm not sure I'd be willing to trust sending something as valuable as a green card to someone that you don't even know (not sure meeting online for sole purpose of using an address or finding a sponsor really knows as "knowing"). I'd be very careful about things like this. They may not want money now, but once they have your GC in hand, that story may change...

I'd much rather rent a mailbox as Mailboxes, Etc. and pay the small monthly fee to know that I will actually get my card when it's ready.

This ^ makes sense

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

I've seen crazier on this site. And I'm not sure I'd be willing to trust sending something as valuable as a green card to someone that you don't even know (not sure meeting online for sole purpose of using an address or finding a sponsor really knows as "knowing"). I'd be very careful about things like this. They may not want money now, but once they have your GC in hand, that story may change...

I'd much rather rent a mailbox as Mailboxes, Etc. and pay the small monthly fee to know that I will actually get my card when it's ready.

This is very good advice.

Filed: Other Country: Macedonia
Timeline

but who said they're even receiving it ? after i land i can switch the address, and i didn't meet the person on this site.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

just read dv lottery governement lottery site and it says you can go to a hotel while looking in the US for an apartment

wondering why miami? you have chosen a very expensive place to live

also why not try to find an apartment online to rent even a small one? if you are able to rent a hotel / a studio apartment would work while you are looking

but who said they're even receiving it ? after i land i can switch the address, and i didn't meet the person on this site.

Just food for thought on changing addresses. We used my apartment address, but then moved into our house a month before my husband even entered the US. He changed his address online, notified the officer at POE, who also said he changed it, and yet when the card was created and mailed it still went to the old address.

We had mail forwarding set up, but the USPS does NOT forward a green card. It gets sent back to USCIS, and then you get the fun of trying to contact them, open a case, and then wait for them to actually process the case. And that's IF the person at the address is nice enough to return it to sender and not keep it.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

I want to reiterate that there are places where you can get a mail box that WORKS like a post office box (PO Box) but is not a PO box (not run by the government mail).

The UPS store was mentioned, I know there are others. Then your address would be something like

Joe schmo

123 Main street

box 20

Miami, FL 00001

which is a street address. A PO Box address looks like:

Joe Schmo

PO Box 4500

Miami, FL 00001

The former should work.

Just googling "rent mailing address" got me a lot of options.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Have you used them for USCIS mail?

USCIS didn't need to send me anything during that period... But I got other mail from federal agencies. The address is in your name, it is not a PO box. See what Harpa wrote.

USCIS didn't need to send me anything during that period... But I got other mail from federal agencies. The address is in your name, it is not a PO box. See what Harpa wrote.

I asked because some people have reported success with USCIS mail at these types of places and others have had problems so.... It would be useful to know then if you had specifically received USCIS mail there. They do seem stricter than federal mail so I'm not sure that means anything. As far as I know federal agencies don't require a street address. As someone else has already reported above, and there are numerous other reports on VJ, it is a right pain in the behind to sort out problems if your green card gets returned to USCIS by USPS.

I asked because some people have reported success with USCIS mail at these types of places and others have had problems so.... It would be useful to know then if you had specifically received USCIS mail there. They do seem stricter than federal mail so I'm not sure that means anything. As far as I know federal agencies don't require a street address. As someone else has already reported above, and there are numerous other reports on VJ, it is a right pain in the behind to sort out problems if your green card gets returned to USCIS by USPS.

A lot of people at normal houses or apartments have trouble getting USCIS mail too, though. Sometimes its blamed on not having a name on the mailbox, but other times people get mail without the name there. Sometimes people don't get the letters even with a name on the mailbox. Can we really attribute this to a rented mailbox or is it just weirdness with the mailman and USCIS mail?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

A lot of people at normal houses or apartments have trouble getting USCIS mail too, though. Sometimes its blamed on not having a name on the mailbox, but other times people get mail without the name there. Sometimes people don't get the letters even with a name on the mailbox. Can we really attribute this to a rented mailbox or is it just weirdness with the mailman and USCIS mail?

I've heard a number of times that they won't deliver to apartments with someone else's name - my relative who received for us made sure to add our last name to his mailbox for this reason. The "weirdness" you mention - in other words, that there seem to be pretty specific instructions to USPS about who they can and can't deliver USCIS mail to - is precisely the reason I was trying to find out if a particular method actually worked for USCIS mail before recommending it. Edited by SusieQQQ

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Winning the lottery involves so many steps. It just not winning and them giving you a green card. You need so much steps and I suggest you start reading on what to do next. Trust me you need more than a strangers address so they can hand you green card later. Look here I hope someone else refer you to a thread here about the steps because I don't know where to find it. Good luck.

Does anyone know of this thread ^ being implied here? I just want to use it as a check list on the things i need to have ready

Timeline

Not everyone needs a sponsor. We are Australian winners and didn't need a sponsor. It depends on the consulate and country.

Does 10k sound sufficient per person, because a little bit over 20k is all we have, can you share your interview's experience? Like questions asked?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.