CBO

Step son in the US and now bio mom is causing issues. (split)

32 posts in this topic

The child's mother can come and file for custody. It is her right. And it will not cost her thousands in legal fees. You can file for custody, child support or visitation in family court with or without a lawyer regardless of immigration status. If you can not afford a lawyer one will be appointed to you again regardless of legal status. However, you are worrying about someone who may not ever immigrate, and will probably take years to immigrate if she ever does. So focus on providing a wonderful life for the little man for now and if/when she does file the judge will grant custody to the parent who represents the child's best interests. Which would be a stable loving home, where he is happy, safe and well cared for. They will not grant her custody just because she wants it.

• Married 2/9/2016
  • I485, I130, I765 + I131 Filed Concurrently
  • USPS delivery confirmation 3/7/2016
  • NOA 1 received 3/08/2016
  • Hard copies of NOA received 3/20/16
  • Early walk in Biometrics at Holtsville, NY 4/11/16
  • Ead/AP approved 4/28/16...received 6/10/16
  • Interview date 12/20/16 at Holtsville, NY... initially denied but approved later same day.
  • Text received that green card was mailed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Thank you that was my concern. Not the custody because my husband is ready to address that; my concern was the "what if" if she gains custody and get welfare or anything for the child or owes hospital bill for the child, being that I signed form I-864 will I be held responsible for paying back any government assistance she receive for the child?

Edited by CBO

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thank you that was my concern. Not the custody because my husband is ready to address that; my concern was the "what if" if she gains custody and get welfare or anything for the child or owes hospital bill for the child, being that I signed form I-864 will I be held responsible for paying back any government assistance she receive for the child? Yes, you would be held responsible for any prohibited means tested benefits that he would receive because you signed the I-864. Losing custody would affect your obligations under the I-864.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Mother is her illegally and no mention of how her daughter could get here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

First of all to apply for custody of son, she has to do so in your state

How is she coming soon to the US? really??? most can't just come!

if she he marrying to come, the new husband may not want to pay a lawyer for this to happen

Keep all the notices she sends talking about money as this seems what she is really after

and yes, if you went to a lawyer, it is costly but family court can appoint a lawyer for the child in his best interests

i would keep all documents, all emails, allow her to talk freely to the boy so it doesn't make you look controlling and wait for her to file

Don't panic

she may be wanting you to offer a moneary payoff / DON'T OFFER

BTW most states look down on a mother who gave up custody at any point

Timeline

Thank you so much. We do keep all communication open with her. He speaks to here very often, we send pictures and inform her of everything. I appreciate all of the feed backs. As far as how she is getting here that's still a mystery but only God knows.

Boiler that's what I have been thinking because her mom is on TPS and the other only way would be through marriage. Which they probably found someone yo marry her and apply for a spousal visa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Advil we have many text and voice messages on Whatsapp that she is requesting for money we are saving all of them. Thank you

Keep hard copy records of all communication, just in case you need it at some point..... be smart like you are, keep a paper trail...... best wishes....

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

no...

Thanks for constructively correcting my mistake!

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Actually she is worried the mother will get custody of her step son and get assistance for him. The bio mother is all about money and how much she can get not the welfare of the child.

My knowledge of government assistance programs is mostly limited to SNAP, so forgive me if it's different for others but in the case of a minor child, their benefits HAVE to be filed under the household of the parent they are living with.

So even if the bio mother does apply for SNAP for the child, it will fall under her application, not just the child alone. A minor child cannot be their own household.

In that case, wouldn't be be the sponsor of the bio mother be responsible, not OP?

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

My knowledge of government assistance programs is mostly limited to SNAP, so forgive me if it's different for others but in the case of a minor child, their benefits HAVE to be filed under the household of the parent they are living with.

So even if the bio mother does apply for SNAP for the child, it will fall under her application, not just the child alone. A minor child cannot be their own household.

In that case, wouldn't be be the sponsor of the bio mother be responsible, not OP?

Both

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank moderator for moving thread...... Thanks for response Ontakie. In Haiti there are no legal papers that needs to be done. She has always been unemployed so she wasn't able to provide for the child, and my husband because of him having a very good job in Haiti has raise his son from 6 months of age up to now. He has school records which shows he had paid for private schooling for his son and people that knew him personally that knows his son always resided with him in Haiti. She is not yet in the State but has threaten that she will be coming soon and she wants her son. It's so funny that in Haiti she never wanted him, but she does when she comes here, because of money. They are very well educated in Haiti about income tax check and child support because she keeps mentioning that; however, I filed for my stepson and am committed to take care of him. And I know deep in my heart that if given her son knowing the family background they will apply for government assistance and I cannot have that because of the affidavit of support I signed to get him here. She doesn't have her sons best interest at heart. He is here in private school, he has already mastered the English language and he loves being with us. I

If she's always been unemployed it's going to be real hard for her to get any type of visa (Haiti is worse than dr in dr you need to prove work and ties and have a certain amount of money in a bank account to even get a tourist visa) I think she is using her son as a meal ticket just keep everything documented that's all she wants is money she seems very envious that her kids father is in USA and she's unemployed in the poorest country in the world. I wouldn't worry too much about her but I'd cut ties with the abuela if I was you don't let them know your address or even move if you have to especially if your husband as full custody Baby mom and abuela can't do anything

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Timeline

Thank you Jennifer. Éven with no job she manage to get a tourist visa how I dont know but she was able to. I have learned that money talks alot in Haiti. If you have money everything is possible to get. That Country is so corrupted. But we are taking every procaution.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How do you know she obtained a tourist visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.