devblt

Cost of Car Insurance for your immigrating SO

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey guys,

So I was talking to a friend of mine about car insurance for the immigrating SO. He's wife has been driving in the U.K for over 10 years, she came over to the states recently and got her driver's licence a couple of weeks ago. When he phoned the insurance agency to add her to his insurance, (State Farm Insurance) he was told that his wife would be classed as an inexperienced driver (with less than 1 year of expereince driving in the U.S) and the insurance premium is going to almost double if not more.

That was a shocker to me. Has anyone else heard of this? I actually have my insurance with State Farm, and when I moved to the States about 7 years ago, I had been driving in the U.K for 5-6 years, and they were able to take that into account when they insured me.

Have you guys experience similar situations? Anyone recommend an insurance company that may take into account previous driving expereince abroad?

Thanks

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

In order to renew my registration, I must have an existing policy in place. However, I drove with no insurance for one year. Saved me alot of money! LOL. It's risky, and I wouldn't even suggesting no insurance.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

I havent called yet because my husband doe shave the DL yet. But my insurance covers me for any driver that I give permission to.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I belive when I came here from Canada, but wifes policy $$$$ did not change. We were with State Farm then, now with USAA

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I havent called yet because my husband doe shave the DL yet. But my insurance covers me for any driver that I give permission to.

The same applies for my insurance.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Timeline

devblt,

My insurance company also classified my wife as an inexperienced driver, although she had been a licensed driver in her country for more than 10 years. The premium is higher as a result, but not double.

Yodrak

Hey guys,

So I was talking to a friend of mine about car insurance for the immigrating SO. He's wife has been driving in the U.K for over 10 years, she came over to the states recently and got her driver's licence a couple of weeks ago. When he phoned the insurance agency to add her to his insurance, (State Farm Insurance) he was told that his wife would be classed as an inexperienced driver (with less than 1 year of expereince driving in the U.S) and the insurance premium is going to almost double if not more.

That was a shocker to me. Has anyone else heard of this? I actually have my insurance with State Farm, and when I moved to the States about 7 years ago, I had been driving in the U.K for 5-6 years, and they were able to take that into account when they insured me.

Have you guys experience similar situations? Anyone recommend an insurance company that may take into account previous driving expereince abroad?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I am from Spain and I lived in the US for 3 years. My driving experience in Europe counted, I had American Family Insurance. But I think this has changed now... It is true, they take it as if you did not have any experience at all, it is frustating...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It depends on where you live and on the insurance. Geico decided to no longer recognize driving history from other countries (as of Jan 1st 2007). Of course we changed right away since they accepted it before and the premium should suddenly double itself.

We called a lot of agents in our area, stay away from State Farm in NC! They had the nerve to tell us that NC had a law prohibiting insurance companies to accept foreign driving history, which is total BS.

We are now with Allstate, a reasonable premium, good service and no hassle with accepting my driving history (copy of German DL was fine, I added an English copy of my driving record).

Ergo: call a lot of different insurance companies and see what you can work out!!!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

I feel State Farm has outrageous premiums period. Before my SO even got here i checked into their rates and it was almost double for what i was paying currently. I thought hmm maybe cause its not a multi- policy rate, so i had them give me a premium for home owners insurance, $800 a year!!!!!! Mind you i pay $390 a year for the same coverage. Insane.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ Garyandmarylou: It depends pretty much on where you live. We'll move to CA and there Farmer's will be the cheapest for us. I don't really understand how insurances calculate their premiums in the US, but to me it seems pretty arbitrary. Like USCIS ;)

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

@ Garyandmarylou: It depends pretty much on where you live. We'll move to CA and there Farmer's will be the cheapest for us. I don't really understand how insurances calculate their premiums in the US, but to me it seems pretty arbitrary. Like USCIS ;)

I hear ya there !!!

If your spouse was driving overseas, he/she can get credit for her driving experience you have to show the licence to the insurance agent. Some states will take your license when you go for a new one, so my best advice to anybody is to make a copy of it, then you can always show it as proof. that was with state farm, Vikings, Unitrin so i am not sure about other insurance company.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
If your spouse was driving overseas, he/she can get credit for her driving experience you have to show the licence to the insurance agent. Some states will take your license when you go for a new one, so my best advice to anybody is to make a copy of it, then you can always show it as proof. that was with state farm, Vikings, Unitrin so i am not sure about other insurance company.

I was able to get credit for my driving experience when I first got my insurance years back with state farm. Apparently, they have now changed their policy on this. When my friend asked is state farm insurance agent, he was told they cannot accept driving expereince from abroad.

Are you positive about State Farm? Perhaps he's agent is not clear on the rules.. who did you hear that from?

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.