babycakez

No income but enough saving for AOS, do I still need a co-sponsor?

20 posts in this topic

So we have enough saving (assuming the poverty line is 15k?) but with no income yet as both of us just moved to the states (i'm the one on K-1 visa) and have no job yet:

1. do we still need a co-sponsor when we file our AOS?

2. If yes, what will we need to get from the co-sponsor besides having them to sign the form?

3. If we don't need a co-sponsor, all we need to submit are the bank statements and tax form I assume?

Thanks in advance!

AOS Timeline [Husband is the USC, got married to foreign wife on May 31, 2016 (who was on F1) we both share this account]

June 25, 2016: AOS Package sent with EAD and AP request

June 30, 2016: Checks cashed

July 02, 2016: NOAs Received in mail (they have misspell my wife's name on 2 of the 4 letters they sent us)

July 04, 2016: Electronic NOA1s Received + USCIS online case status shown as "case received"

July 18, 2016: Received biometrics appointment letter in mail (scheduled July 28)

July 28, 2016: Biometrics appointment taken as scheduled, also have my name corrected at the center

Sep 09, 2016: Submitted Service Request since it has passed the 75 day time mark

Sep 12, 2016: Received Service Request Response: case is within our current processing time

Sep 12, 2016: AOS status changed to "interview ready to be scheduled" . EAD & AP case status remain unchanged.

Sep 20, 2016: EAD status changed to ready to deliver, AP case status remain unchanged.

Oct 04, 2016: AP case status remain unchanged but EAD and AP combo card was received in mailbox.

You need 3 times 125% of the poverty line, so about 60K. If you have that you do not need a co-sponsor.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

For AOS I-864, you need 5 times 125% above poverty line.

So as long as we have 5 times of $20,025 listed on https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf in our saving, then all we need to do is to provide our bank statement and that's it?

and where can I find if it is 3 times or 5 times?

AOS Timeline [Husband is the USC, got married to foreign wife on May 31, 2016 (who was on F1) we both share this account]

July 02, 2016: NOAs Received in mail (they have misspell my wife's name on 2 of the 4 letters they sent us)

July 04, 2016: Electronic NOA1s Received + USCIS online case status shown as "case received"

July 18, 2016: Received biometrics appointment letter in mail (scheduled July 28)

July 28, 2016: Biometrics appointment taken as scheduled, also have my name corrected at the center

Sep 09, 2016: Submitted Service Request since it has passed the 75 day time mark

Sep 12, 2016: Received Service Request Response: case is within our current processing time

Sep 12, 2016: AOS status changed to "interview ready to be scheduled" . EAD & AP case status remain unchanged.

Sep 20, 2016: EAD status changed to ready to deliver, AP case status remain unchanged.

Oct 04, 2016: AP case status remain unchanged but EAD and AP combo card was received in mailbox.

Page 9 of the I-864 instructions:

"In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current Federal Poverty Guidelines for your household size, however, if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference."

Adjusting status from F-1 (student) following marriage to USC

Entered US for first time: December 2010

Met husband in class: August 2013

Started dating: February 2014

Engaged: 21 May 2015

Married (courthouse): 25 March 2016

Sent AOS packet to Chicago lockbox: 19 April 2016

NOA1 received: 24 April 2016

Biometrics appointment: 24 May 2016

Case ready to be scheduled for an interview: 2 June 2016

Infopass to request AP expedite: 30 June 2016 expedite approved

EAD/AP card in production: 1 July 2016

EAD/AP card received: 11 July 2016

Interview notice received: 17 September 2016

Interview date: 21 October 2016

APPROVED!

Green card received: 28 October 2016

Process took 192 days, no RFEs, from sending the packet to having green card in hand.

So as long as we have 5 times of $20,025 listed on https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf in our saving, then all we need to do is to provide our bank statement and that's it?

and where can I find if it is 3 times or 5 times?

Sorry, Assets are used at 3 times the amount for a spouse, not 5.

You have to provide bank statements to show you have that much money in the account for a while, not some sudden transfer from someone to prop up the number.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Page 9 of the I-864 instructions:

"In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current Federal Poverty Guidelines for your household size, however, if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference."

Thanks! So in our case we will only need three times as it's just me (the spouse) and the US citizen? So we will not need a joint sponsor as long as we can provide our bank statement with that amount of money right? Is tax transcripts still required then?

Sorry, Assets are used at 3 times the amount for a spouse, not 5.

You have to provide bank statements to show you have that much money in the account for a while, not some sudden transfer from someone to prop up the number.

NO problem! Now I know where to look for those information ;) Is tax transcripts still required if we can provide the bank statements will that number?

The USC will also need to supply last year's tax return to prove that s/he filed taxes.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

The USC will also need to supply last year's tax return to prove that s/he filed taxes.

So we will only need to send in his tax transcript for last year then? How about this year, is it required to include this year (he got a gift that's needed to be taxed that wont be filed til the end of this month since he's still working on his tax extension for being out of country).

If this year can be excluded it would save us from so many troubles!

Thank you for everyone who helped! Since this week is the week we are finally getting married officially I just realized there are so much needed to be done for AOS!! All the help are deeply appreciated!

wow glad we have a 10 year green card and save all this BS and the AOS fees

LUCKY YOU!

You need 2015 taxes. You can't file 2016's taxes until the year is over.

All of this and more is in the I-864 instructions.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You need 2015 taxes. You can't file 2016's taxes until the year is over.

All of this and more is in the I-864 instructions.

ok question. so my husband made 25000 last year and he is applying for my AOS. do we need a co-sponsor? i thought you just have to make over the poverty line for a household of two? we got our interview coming

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

ok question. so my husband made 25000 last year and he is applying for my AOS. do we need a co-sponsor? i thought you just have to make over the poverty line for a household of two? we got our interview coming

That income is enough for a household of 2. Why would you think you need a joint sponsor?

Thanks! So in our case we will only need three times as it's just me (the spouse) and the US citizen? So we will not need a joint sponsor as long as we can provide our bank statement with that amount of money right? Is tax transcripts still required then?

NO problem! Now I know where to look for those information ;) Is tax transcripts still required if we can provide the bank statements will that number?

You need to list the Total Income from the last 3 years of taxes on the form where it asks. You only need to submit the most recent year, which is 2015.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That income is enough for a household of 2. Why would you think you need a joint sponsor?

You need to list the Total Income from the last 3 years of taxes on the form where it asks. You only need to submit the most recent year, which is 2015.

reading this post i got confused when someone said you have to make 3 or 5 times over the poverty line.. but thanks for answering.:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

reading this post i got confused when someone said you have to make 3 or 5 times over the poverty line.. but thanks for answering. :)

They are using assets. When using assets you must have 3 rimes the poverty guideline.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.