JFox762

How soon after my Fiance arrives in US, can she start working?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

While I earn enough to take care of my Fiance and her child... it's not "ideal". I surpass the 125% of poverty line requirement. I make about $30,000/yr as an EMT... the biggest saving grace is that my house is completely paid off and I have no car payments and practically no debt.

The faster my Fiance can start working, the easier our lives will be by ... *A LOT*. She's actually an Engineer, has years of experience working for an American company overseas, speaks perfect English... I figure she will easily earn at least $50,000 to start. Coupled with my income, our household income would be *VERY* nice considering our house would be paid off. Her working is the difference between money being somewhat tight... and being moderately wealthy. So the question is, how quickly can she be eligible to work? I understand that filing for working privileges really only makes sense to do in conjunction with your AOS due to timing, fee costs, etc. So that basically means, we should be able to file our AOS as soon as we get married? How soon would she be able to work? What is the latest expected we'd have to wait.

My Fiance is coming from the Philippines if it makes any difference.

Once you are married and have certified copies of your marriage certificates (we took the original down to the county (lived in Tucson at the time) and got certified copies within a couple hours), you can then file the I-485 for Adjustment of status. You can also file the I-131(emergency travel) and I-765 EAD (work permit) for FREE when filing the I-485. You will get the EAD work authorization about 2-4 months after filing. If there are no issues you will get the green card 4-8 months after filing.

Potentially your wife could be working in two months after filing.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

How quickly can she get her SS #?

About a week after arriving in the USA head down to SSA with the form S-5, passport, copy of the I-94 to get her SSN. The card should arrive in the mail a couple weeks after.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

This topic can be closed.

It seems like our relationship has fallen apart. My Fiance and me, had an argument, there was a miscommunication somewhere... and she just on impulse decided to break up with me. She said "I don't want to talk to you anymore". I asked her if she is breaking up with me... and she didn't reply. I've tried calling her, tried emailing her... no replies.

It seems like this whole thing is now a moot point. What sucks is that our I-129f was *JUST* approved the other day. I am so incredibly heart broken right now... I've invested so much money and time into this relationship... and now it's all over. I stayed true to her and everything. I went all this time without the comfort of female affection, sex, or in person interaction... on the idea that someday I would be with her. It was all a waste.

Honestly, I wonder if maybe the entire time, she just wanted a Visa out of me and nothing more.

Edited by JFox762

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Sorry to hear that but maybe you will both patch it up, give it some time and don't make a rash decision, it just happened today.
A miscommunication shouldn't be the cause of a break up but should be talked through.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would say Filipinas are very emotional. To some extent it can be overreacting. I don't want to generalize but that's what I mostly see. Filipinos be it a man or a woman are sensitive. At least you know now that eventually this person is going to be like this. It's a hassle to deal with this attitude but if you want the relationship then fight for it. If you don't want to deal with it and will have no regrets then don't do anything. Communication is the hardest and most important thing for long distance relationships.

You know... the thing that sucks is that I really don't want to go back into the single's world and go try dating in America again. I gave up on American women. I'm not trying to about American women being awful or anything like that.... but something about the Demographics, or culture, something I have no idea why.... it just seems like women have the pick of the litter in America. They have a ridiculous upper hand it seems. I message hundreds of women, and not a single one will message me back. I'm not some unemployed oaf. I have a decent job, house paid off, finances are pretty good.

Before I met my fiance, I was constantly striking out... even with women who weighed more than I did, and who were on the same socio-economic status and everything. It just felt like they all had better options than me... and at the time, I was obese... but I did have a decent job, a house that is paid off... and other things going for me.

Now I can say with some pride, that I've lost a lot of weight (240lbs to 185)... and am no longer obese. Just a bit overweight. I've gotten tons of compliments for it. I also no longer look at the mirror in disgust... but actually look at it and go "Damn, that guy's a stud... oh wait, that's me!" So I do have that to add to things now going for me. The question is, is that enough?

I thought I finally found someone who cared about me, and wanted me for me... and accepted me flaws and all. And honestly... she was gorgeous.
She was about the same age as me (one year younger), and her having an Engineering degree and being more educated... that sort of made me think the chance of her just farming me out for a Visa was very low. I thought the warning signs just weren't there. But now I have no idea what to think.

I really don't want to go back into that cold, dark, horrible prospect of endless worthless dates where I basically get the privilege to spend $50 on a meal for a woman who will never acknowledge my existence after the conclusion of the date.

I remember many years ago, thinking about all the filipinas that would gravitate towards me in chat rooms... and figured "Well sure are friendly, and forward. If I ever get totally discouraged... I can just try a long distance thing with a filipina. What the heck, right?" That is exactly what I did... Now that I feel I may have been betrayed... I'm not sure I can trust a filipina again. I know that is cruel, because when I was there... they seemed so lovable and admirable in so many ways.

The thing that sucks is... after having been with her... and after having been to the philippines.. I honestly wonder if now I can only find filipinas attractive. I absolutely fell in love with the culture and the people there.

Maybe I'm just panicking...

You know... the thing that sucks is that I really don't want to go back into the single's world and go try dating in America again. I gave up on American women. I'm not trying to ###### about American women being awful or anything like that.... but something about the Demographics, or culture, something I have no idea why.... it just seems like women have the pick of the litter in America. They have a ridiculous upper hand it seems. I message hundreds of women, and not a single one will message me back. I'm not some unemployed oaf. I have a decent job, house paid off, finances are pretty good.

Before I met my fiance, I was constantly striking out... even with women who weighed more than I did, and who were on the same socio-economic status and everything. It just felt like they all had better options than me... and at the time, I was obese... but I did have a decent job, a house that is paid off... and other things going for me.

Now I can say with some pride, that I've lost a lot of weight (240lbs to 185)... and am no longer obese. Just a bit overweight. I've gotten tons of compliments for it. I also no longer look at the mirror in disgust... but actually look at it and go "Damn, that guy's a stud... oh wait, that's me!" So I do have that to add to things now going for me. The question is, is that enough?

I thought I finally found someone who cared about me, and wanted me for me... and accepted me flaws and all. And honestly... she was gorgeous.

She was about the same age as me (one year younger), and her having an Engineering degree and being more educated... that sort of made me think the chance of her just farming me out for a Visa was very low. I thought the warning signs just weren't there. But now I have no idea what to think.

I really don't want to go back into that cold, dark, horrible prospect of endless worthless dates where I basically get the privilege to spend $50 on a meal for a woman who will never acknowledge my existence after the conclusion of the date.

I remember many years ago, thinking about all the filipinas that would gravitate towards me in chat rooms... and figured "Well sure are friendly, and forward. If I ever get totally discouraged... I can just try a long distance thing with a filipina. What the heck, right?" That is exactly what I did... Now that I feel I may have been betrayed... I'm not sure I can trust a filipina again. I know that is cruel, because when I was there... they seemed so lovable and admirable in so many ways.

The thing that sucks is... after having been with her... and after having been to the philippines.. I honestly wonder if now I can only find filipinas attractive. I absolutely fell in love with the culture and the people there.

You just not meeting the right woman (local or foreign) for you yet.

Try meetup.com to meet like-minded people for activities to widen your social circle.

Perhaps love will appear when you are not that desperate seeking for it.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Once your fiance is in the country get her SSN before you two get married, it is very simple to get it changed once y'all get married. If you file for AP with your AOS it will be a good 3-6 months before she can start working legally.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You know... the thing that sucks is that I really don't want to go back into the single's world and go try dating in America again. I gave up on American women. I'm not trying to ###### about American women being awful or anything like that.... but something about the Demographics, or culture, something I have no idea why.... it just seems like women have the pick of the litter in America. They have a ridiculous upper hand it seems. I message hundreds of women, and not a single one will message me back. I'm not some unemployed oaf. I have a decent job, house paid off, finances are pretty good.

a

I see what you're trying to say. I was the petitioned by my husband. My husband is Filipino by birth but is essentially an American in ways. He did get the chance to pick out some Filipino traits that he likes through his upbringing but like I said his thinking is American. He doesn't trust Filipinos though he admits they are very friendly. He feels awkward in parties because he is obese and even in family parties he saw how some Filipinos showed no boundaries with him and he disliked that. I'm 110lbs and he's in the 200s. When he first saw me I think he was around 170lbs. I'm a nurse and he used to be a Pharmacy technician and living with his parents until now. We live with the parents but are the ones paying the mortgage. Now he stays at home trading stocks and pretty much act as my driver. From what you're saying you are set with finances but not emotionally. You are proud of your accomplishments but aren't secured by them. Marriage is not something that you can be prepared for and measured by educational degree. It's not an assurance that people won't go after a visa even if they are highly educated.

You can be the most fit guy married to one of the smartest person in the world and yet will be divorced because some things are hard to fix. Old couples are nice to look at because either they tried to fix all their problems or they did not see one failed marriage as the end. We all have problems, insecurities, and doubts. How long you want to keep on fixing something is dependent on you. Fight for it if it's worth it. Miscommunication should not cause falling apart. That thing is fixable! Talk. Filipinas, by culture, like to be wooed. Some try to be hard to get. If she did not answer you right then who cares? It's better to keep quiet if you have nothing good to say. Some people keep quiet if they are unsure. If you still want to fix the relationship, contact her again, contact family members, or contact other friends. You may look desperate but isn't that what love is for? To keep you're other half be it in paper or words?

I'm not forcing you to go for her always but maybe have an open conversation regarding communication. That's if things are fixed. Whether you are in the same room or 7,000 miles apart. Your case is not isolated and you are entitled to be scared and afraid for visa scam but not everyone with your same stats and fears have ended to be in a pickle.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Please read the AOS guide. It explains quite a bit at the bottom.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Should apply for SS# very soon after entry before marriage.

Please read the AOS guide. It explains quite a bit at the bottom.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Should apply for SS# very soon after entry before marriage.

It seems that OP is no longer with the fiance, if you notice above in the thread he asked it to be closed..

Though to be fair "I don't want to talk to you anymore" and then silence when asked if you are breaking up doesn't sound like a for sure break up to me.

If it is, then my fiance and I are guilty of breaking up a few times ourselves..

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Just some pointers:

Women are women everywhere. Foreign and domestic. You need to find someone who has the same things in common and have like-minded endeavors with(Merrytooth's suggestion is on the money). Being a good person and having money isn't always a guarantee. How you see yourself might be different how others see you. It's like trying to get a job, just because the resume is good, doesn't mean you get the job. You have to interview for the part, show up dressed to impress, and sell yourself to the person interviewing you. Chemistry and other factors come into play; if she's not intrigued by you, guess what? You won't make the cut.

It's not about the weight or good looks, it's about what you are bringing to the table AND how well you get along with her. These things make all the difference. Don't shut out American women, nor start trying to date one race of women exclusively. Do some soul searching and make sure everything in your world is right. Because when you do that, a good woman will be drawn to you. Key word, good. One that deserves you and will love and cherish you just like you will her.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

While I earn enough to take care of my Fiance and her child... it's not "ideal". I surpass the 125% of poverty line requirement. I make about $30,000/yr as an EMT... the biggest saving grace is that my house is completely paid off and I have no car payments and practically no debt.

The faster my Fiance can start working, the easier our lives will be by ... *A LOT*. She's actually an Engineer, has years of experience working for an American company overseas, speaks perfect English... I figure she will easily earn at least $50,000 to start. Coupled with my income, our household income would be *VERY* nice considering our house would be paid off. Her working is the difference between money being somewhat tight... and being moderately wealthy. So the question is, how quickly can she be eligible to work? I understand that filing for working privileges really only makes sense to do in conjunction with your AOS due to timing, fee costs, etc. So that basically means, we should be able to file our AOS as soon as we get married? How soon would she be able to work? What is the latest expected we'd have to wait.

File Adjustment of Status after getting married. Include application for Employment Authorization Document, the payment will be as one if you include both in one application.. It's about 3 months after filing she can receive her employment card which allows her to work while waiting for the green card. And she needs SSN to work too.. She can apply for that before your wedding. because sometimes it's hard to get SSN after getting married since she came to the US as K1 visa and still single, they might require her a green card to get SSN if you do it after the wedding.

AOS Journey

1/31/16 - Got married

2/24/16 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent

2/29/16 - Received Date

3/03/16 - Received text and email notification

3/04/16 - Check cashed

3/07/16 - I-797 hardcopy received

3/19/16 - Biometric scheduled received by mail

4/06/16 - I-485 online status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview

4/15/16 - I-485 online status changed to INTERVIEW SCHEDULED

4/17/16 - Interview Notice hardcopy received

4/28/16 - AP & EAD approval date

5/02/16 - AP approval letter received

5/05/16 - EAD card received

5/17/16 - AOS interview

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CASE APPROVE dated 5/18/16

5/23/16 - Received AOS approval letter in the mail

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CARD WAS MAILED TO ME

5/24/16 - Card was picked-up by USPS (online status)

5/26/16 - Green Card on Hand!!! :goofy:

My husband moved to the US at the end of August, we got married October 18, 2015. We submitted all AOS/Advanced Parole/Employment Authorization, beginning of December. He received his EAD/AP combo card to work on March 2nd, 2016. And had a job by the end of March. :)

06/18/2012 - We met in New York :) 

11/18/2014 - Sent off our I-129F packet to Dallas

12/01/2014 - Hardcopy of NOA1 received in the mail

12/22/2014 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in the mail

01/26/2015 - Case now listed as "Ready"

04/02/2015 - Medical

04/25/2015 - #2 Packet 4 received

06/02/2015 - Interview - APPROVED!

06/08/2015 - AP

06/09/2015 - Issued!

06/12/2015 - VISA IN HAND!!

08/22/2015 - POE: Charlotte, North Carolina

10/18/2015 - MARRIED! Chicago, Illinois

12/08/2015 - Sent AOS package

12/11/2015 - AOS delivered in Chicago

12/15/2015 - NOA1 received via text/email 10:30pm EST

12/19/2015 - Hardcopy of all three NOA1's received

12/31/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received!

01/11/2016 - Biometrics Complete Charlotte, NC

01/13/2016 - Checked Case Status online, RFE mailed 1/12/2016

01/19/2016 - Request for Initial Evidence received

01/20/2016 - Request for Initial Evidence sent back

01/26/2016 - Request for Initial Evidence received by USCIS

02/24/2016 - EAD/AP approved! (No text, email or notification, found out via checking case tracker app)

02/29/2016 - Card was mailed!!

03/02/2016 - EAD/AP COMBO CARD RECIEVED

05/20/2016 - APPROVED.

05/28/2016 - Green Card in Hand!!!

03/05/2018 - Filed ROC to Vermont Service Sent

03/16/2018 - NOA1 dated 

04/27/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Letter (then had to reschedule due to vacation)

06/01/2018 Biometrics Appt. Completed (Very Easy)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.