foreverconfused

Question about age with K-1

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Whenever an age gap come up, unless there are other circumstances in the situation, the advice is always the same. Forget about the age gap, concentrate on proving the relationship. Everyone has worries but this should not be one of them.

Please do not worry about that.

When I was first contacted on-line by a woman who wanted to meet me, I told her she was too young for me.

She kept writing and kept writing so I finally met her. And revisited her over the next 4 year 5 times. Each time, I thought she was too young.

She finally wore me down and I brought her to America as a K-1 November, 2009. She is now an American Citizen and we have been extremely happy over married 6 & 1/2 Years.

Her Age now? 34

My Age now? 65.

Edited by drlarryclements

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Please do not worry about that.

When I was first contacted on-line by a woman who wanted to meet me, I told her she was too young for me.

She kept writing and kept writing so I finally met her. And revisited her over the next 4 year 5 times. Each time, I thought she was too young.

She finally wore me down and I brought her to America as a K-1 November, 2009. She is now an American Citizen and we have been extremely happy over married 6 & 1/2 Years.

Her Age now? 34

My Age now? 65.

OP you cannot compare a country like the Phillipines where older men/younger women relationship are culturally accepted and very normal. Your situation is much different. You must consider the culture and customs of Saudia Arabia AND the fact that you are the older person, the woman. Now the fact that you are still of child bearing age coupled with the age gap being quite small does help.

To say you have nothing to worry about is a bit misleading. But it can be overcome with face time and relationship evdience.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It will make a difference because people in SA usually do not marry a woman older than them so your fiance will have tough time convincing the IO.Do not listen to the people telling you that it is not gonna be a problem.Prepare yourself in advance rather than feeling sorry later.Determine the red flags in your case and work on them before Interview.Prepare him well.

This is good advice. Always be prepared!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

It's not culturally normal for a Saudi to marry an older woman, but your age is rather close and shouldn't be a problem. You are both around college age / the same peer grouping. Some of the cases that get flagged are an older American women like 50 with a 19 year old Arab. That will be scrutinized more heavily. My husband came over from Yemen on a K-1 and he is 9 years older. We had a long go at it 2.5 years to get the visa but he's here now and we are happy.

Timeline

There is a lady on the board mimi something that went through Amman that is older than her husband and can speak to her experience.

There are a lot of other things to consider when marrying into such a different culture that I'd be happy to share that I've learned from being married to someone from Yemen. ( similar but not totally the same cultures)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Like many people mentioned, age gap you have is like nothing. 19 and 24 in a relationship is not anything outstanding even if woman is the older one, you're both very young and just starting your life.

What I would be more concerned about is how young you both are, especially your fiance who is 19. I've heard of cases where couples had a hard time in their immigration process because CO was concerned if someone at the age of 19 is mature enough to make such a change in his/her life as relocating across the half of the world to marry another young person and start his life in the new country from scratch, with no family support or friends around. I think you may need to be prepared to prove that your relationship is serious and established enough for such process and you're both mature and prepared good enough to realize what responsibilities you both take by making such a major change in your life, especially your 19 yo fiance who will relocate.

- Victor from Russia

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies!

I don't know if these makes a difference at all, but we are both from the same ethnic background & are both the same religion. Yes, we have the age gap, but we have the same morals, beliefs, and values. We were both raised with those beliefs. I don't know if it makes a difference, but for what it's worth, I just wanted to add that. Also, I just graduated nursing school, and he plans on going to school also when he comes to the U.S (God willing)

Timeline

There is a lady on the board mimi something that went through Amman that is older than her husband and can speak to her experience.

There are a lot of other things to consider when marrying into such a different culture that I'd be happy to share that I've learned from being married to someone from Yemen. ( similar but not totally the same cultures)

Oh thank you! He and I are both Somali and are both Muslim (we both speak Somali & English fluently, and he speaks Arabic of course) so we have no cultural differences, but that's awesome! Thanks again :-)

Timeline

It's not culturally normal for a Saudi to marry an older woman, but your age is rather close and shouldn't be a problem. You are both around college age / the same peer grouping. Some of the cases that get flagged are an older American women like 50 with a 19 year old Arab. That will be scrutinized more heavily. My husband came over from Yemen on a K-1 and he is 9 years older. We had a long go at it 2.5 years to get the visa but he's here now and we are happy.

Well for what it's worth, he and I are both Somali and are both Muslim. He, himself, although born and raised in Saudi is also not Arab. We share the same cultural beliefs and religious beliefs. Does that make a difference in our process?

Timeline

Yeah, that's great. The fact that you have the same background does help. Good luck! I don't think you have anything to worry about, but load up your proof and documentation like you do. That is the prudent thing. Wish you the best!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am 33 my US based fiancé is 57, Maria and I love each other and her children are well in support of us, I will be having my interview by July and I'm hoping all goes well, I'm not worried Coz our relationship is real and solid for 2/5 years now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.