Vennie

Moving to Georgia...

349 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Goldfinch2912 said:

Hey Georgia Ladies and Gents,

Was everyone all ok during the tornado warning/storm last week? Our power went out for 3 hours! But, we were otherwise ok. Just lots of rain and thunder.

Oh, hey. I was interested to know if any of y'all had ever thought about trying to meet up in Atlanta for lunch or something? ^_^. It'd be great to meet some fellow expats!

I'm always down for something like that. :)

I live 30 minutes from Downtown Atlanta but I'm open for other places to meet.

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

15 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

But I'll hang on and see what others say and see if it's a place I'll go too or its to far away I know we are pretty spread out in GA.

3 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

I'm always down for something like that. :)

I live 30 minutes from Downtown Atlanta but I'm open for other places to meet.

Cool :).

...~Timeline~...

Married - December 29th 2015

~USCIS~

I-130 Sent - March 11th 2016

NOA1 - Nebraska - March 17th 2016

NOA2 - July 19th 2016

~NVC~
NVC Welcome Letter Received - August 19th 2016

Scan Date - September 19th 2016

Supervisor Review - November 1st 2016

CASE COMPLETE! - November 4th 2016

~Interview Process~

P4 E-mail Received - November 10th 2016

Medical - December 2nd 2016

Interview - December 19th 2016 - APPROVED!!!
Visa in Hand - December 23rd 2016!
POE - January 15th 2017
(L) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Guys, hope everyone is well. We got a few hail drops and got a call not to go to work an hour before I was due but all was well on my side😊

Getting together for lunch sounds like a great idea💃💃 My schedule is pretty flexible. I am pretty free most Tuesday's and Thursday's. Also have no problems getting to downtown ATL. 

2 hours ago, Vennie said:

Hi Guys, hope everyone is well. We got a few hail drops and got a call not to go to work an hour before I was due but all was well on my side😊

Getting together for lunch sounds like a great idea💃💃 My schedule is pretty flexible. I am pretty free most Tuesday's and Thursday's. Also have no problems getting to downtown ATL. 

Awesome :).

It was the first time I'd heard the tornado sirens going, so that was an experience!!!

...~Timeline~...

Married - December 29th 2015

~USCIS~

I-130 Sent - March 11th 2016

NOA1 - Nebraska - March 17th 2016

NOA2 - July 19th 2016

~NVC~
NVC Welcome Letter Received - August 19th 2016

Scan Date - September 19th 2016

Supervisor Review - November 1st 2016

CASE COMPLETE! - November 4th 2016

~Interview Process~

P4 E-mail Received - November 10th 2016

Medical - December 2nd 2016

Interview - December 19th 2016 - APPROVED!!!
Visa in Hand - December 23rd 2016!
POE - January 15th 2017
(L) 

17 minutes ago, Vennie said:

Oh wow😮I have never heard it and pray not to.

I am coming from a island where hurricanes threat is issue almost the whole year so I need a break lol

living in in GA you're going to get plenty of tornadoes warning but they don't always touch down, and sometimes hurricanes. Anywhere in the southeast is usually affected by hurricanes... Florida, Georgia, Southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Southeast Texas. 

On 4/13/2017 at 7:54 PM, Goldfinch2912 said:

Hey Georgia Ladies and Gents,

Was everyone all ok during the tornado warning/storm last week? Our power went out for 3 hours! But, we were otherwise ok. Just lots of rain and thunder.

Oh, hey. I was interested to know if any of y'all had ever thought about trying to meet up in Atlanta for lunch or something? ^_^. It'd be great to meet some fellow expats!

It'd be nice if we can meet up sometime when we all settled. I have to get myself a 2nd car provided if I ever pass my driving test lol. Or my hubby gonna come along :P

I'm injured with my sprained wrist still, went to see doctor, prescribed me a bunch of painkillers off walmart and that's it. Our insurance coverage isn't good so I had to pay over 200 dollars for a minor sprained wrist. I wonder if anyone knows any home remedy? I've been applying ice pack on my wrist and epsom salt, doesnt seem to work. I can't even turn a bottle cap now.

I felt the storm, it was so strange cos it went all dark out of sudden and clouds were really low, they moved towards my apartment and windows were shaking so badly, I was so afraid cos I was alone at home, internet went off, trees fell, I thought a tornado was gonna touchdown. Saw a youtube vid that a tornado actually hits metro Atlanta years ago! Thats scary!

Ever since that bridge collapsed, I stopped going to Duluth or Buford to get my groceries, the jam is real, hate it! Even going to Lenox takes ages and rerouting sucks. I miss Duluth's food! Gas price went up alot!!! And Taxes oh god, everything increased by 1% since April.

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

On 4/14/2017 at 11:34 AM, Ahmed & Amy said:

living in in GA you're going to get plenty of tornadoes warning but they don't always touch down, and sometimes hurricanes. Anywhere in the southeast is usually affected by hurricanes... Florida, Georgia, Southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Southeast Texas. 

Oh God!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I have nightmares of tornadoes prob too much movies. 

Anyway..guys I would like to know more information about buying houses in Georgia, cos I've been googling around and got confused with the state property laws here.

Can someone explain to me the difference between buying a community and single family home? The pros and cons? And are we actually buying the land or are we buying the house (leasing land), cos in my country, we have term of 99 year lease, 999 year lease, freehold. I'm not sure about Georgia.

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Sorry for making so many posts, so to be in details. For example, when a developer launches new set of community houses, townhomes for example, do we actually buy the house(building) and leasing the land, or does the land also belongs to us? Is that why there is a HOA fees?

Same question goes to single family homes and condos (are we leasing the air space under 99,999,freehold or ?)

Is there a requirement in Georgia for single family homes house percentage size? For example, ur house must only occupy 30% space and 70% garden.

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
11 hours ago, Roy&Chanel said:

Sorry for making so many posts, so to be in details. For example, when a developer launches new set of community houses, townhomes for example, do we actually buy the house(building) and leasing the land, or does the land also belongs to us? Is that why there is a HOA fees?

Same question goes to single family homes and condos (are we leasing the air space under 99,999,freehold or ?)

Is there a requirement in Georgia for single family homes house percentage size? For example, ur house must only occupy 30% space and 70% garden.

These are all great questions you should ask a realtor. 

HOA stand for Home owner Association fee .... It basically covers the amenities for the place you live. For example if there is a pool you can use then it would cover that often it also cover landscaping in the front. 

Just be careful because some places are really expensive for really nothing (like where we live) they have just raised it to $185 a month which is CRAZY! we have no pool or no garden! ... 

Street signs that are blue means private road ... this also means that is for example the street needs to be repaved then the city will not pay for this as they do places with green signs. With private roads it will be the homeowners on the road there will pay for stuff like that.

Also the city actually have the right to do what they want the first 12 or 16 feet (can't remember exactly) from the pavement and into your proporty so there are rules about how your proporty is and you can't just built as you want too then you will need to seek building permits first.

Thank u so much Georgia16! Learned alot about these answers, I didn't really want to ask a realtor cos I didn't want them to push us or hardsell. Really great to know all the stuffs u know!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Roy&Chanel said:

Thank u so much Georgia16! Learned alot about these answers, I didn't really want to ask a realtor cos I didn't want them to push us or hardsell. Really great to know all the stuffs u know!

You're welcome :) We are in the middle of it also and hoping to find something here this summer we can move into. We live in a townhome now and want to get a single family home. 

We went to visit Fayetteville recently, Pinewood forrest (developed by Dan Cathy - Chick Fil-A), seems like they're building another "Glenwood Park" kind of community there. Cons tho they're community homes (You will be required to pay HOA, HVAC fees, there is a mechanical small room in ur house), but I've noticed that the single family houses are flipping nearby right now, reatlors are buying them and renovating to sell at a high price. We probably won't make it on time to purchase them since they're at high 250s now. We will have to wait till next land development :(

Edited by Roy&Chanel

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 8:36 PM, KatieS said:

Hey Vennie! 

Im moving there too, but in August! 

Did u find a freight company to take things over? I'm looking at the moment. 

Im moving from Perth :) 

Hey there! welcome to Georgia!! I just brought lotsa food,clothes and K1 documents when I first came. Basically buy everything here, bring more money along with you cos u need them.

Just want to let everyone here be aware of, my husband have just received a call from a man who claimed to be from IRS claiming that he did not pay enough of taxes and that they are going to arrest him. He thought he did something wrong and got a huge shock from it. The funny part kicked in when he asked for CASH CHECK and even knows our address, he said that the IRS guys will come over to pick the check, which is weird, he even knows details of my husband. Previously we got an experience from credit card fraud when I first came to US where we bought furniture from IKEA, someone from IKEA delivery used our credit card he called up and pretend to double check on our address and credit card confirmation, (beware of that too cos theres only one IKEA in Georgia) lesson learnt. So anyway, my husband called the police with his coworker's phone and placed both on speakers, the police asked that guy about his staff ID info, he hung up right away. The police said its been going around in Georgia lately. Just beware if you guys receive calls from IRS asking for stuffs. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.