Vennie

Moving to Georgia...

349 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, Roy&Chanel said:

Yes, thanks Vennie and Georgia16 for the comfort! I'm worried about the gap too, its been quite awhile and I haven't find a job yet.

We are so glad that he managed to find a better job with offers for health insurance benefits. We can finally get out of all the nonsense on "ur wife is a foreigner, u can't include her name in health insurance", etc. 

We went to visit High Art Museum today, it is really nice, lots to see! There's European, modern, american art, I love European art. I think this is by far the 2nd most money-worth to visit place other than Atlanta History Center.  

We made a visit to GWCC Atlanta International car show, they give discounts of 500 dollars off if you're going to buy a new car within 90 days. Was quite a fun experience!

The traffic is terrible, I've never really been to that area where the underground roads are at. At night, I happened to pass by the street of bars, its really terrible, wouldn't want to live anywhere near there. (Edgewood Ave)

Bad part: We still have to live within Fulton since his workplace is in Atlanta. :(

Cherry Blossom festival's coming, I'm probably going to Macon this weekend, hope there's actual cherry blossom trees. https://cherryblossom.com/

Damn be very careful! Bad bad bad down there. Sorry I always say stuff is bad but me husband is in the police work in ATL there and it's just one big mess.

Also you can live further out it will just be a longer drive. We live out here and my husband also work in ATL :)

I have heard that the cherry blossom is very pretty atleast it's very beautiful tress!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I so wanted to go to the international car show but my schedule at work i's horrible lol.

Never been to Edgewood Ave but I have heard of it. 

As @Georgia16 says you can live further out but it would just be a longer travel. 

I loveeee the cherry blossom trees. My husband don't?he said they look a mess to clean up. I wouldn't mind, I think if I can get a small one I would like one in our back yard.

I opened a joined bank account with Bank of America today and had no problems with asking them if it's possible to have my husbands last name on the account. I had to show the clerk our marriage certificate and it  was no problem.

Super easy and super friendly staff. My husband and I went to the financial center in Tucker.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

On 3/26/2017 at 0:00 AM, Vennie said:

That's nice @Becci391. We use USAA. We were able to do everything online. I so dislike going into banks lol. But I heard BOA is a great bank?

On 3/25/2017 at 9:20 PM, Becci391 said:

I opened a joined bank account with Bank of America today and had no problems with asking them if it's possible to have my husbands last name on the account. I had to show the clerk our marriage certificate and it  was no problem.

Super easy and super friendly staff. My husband and I went to the financial center in Tucker.

U guys are so lucky, I think its just the location I applied for. I'm trying to see when my hubby's free to visit other branches to get my own bank account, hopefully able to do so. Still not understanding why I was having difficulties to even include my name into his account back then. We actually been to quite a few branches in Atlanta.

Tucker is kinda far for me, I live in Atlanta. I'm trying to find better apartments that are cheaper/safer furthest 15 mins from my husband's workplace lol. Its really hard, our area rentals are range around 1.3-1.5k now..its crazy and they keep increasing everytime by 55 dollars when lease is up. 

The crime rate is freaking high, I hate it when I kept getting asked for money at Walmart till date cos they looked agressive, trying to persuade my husband to travel further but Duluth is way too far for him on a daily basis lol.

I'm trying to look into Fayetteville area, heard that place's quite nice.

The weather's been really really really hot right now, I'm hating it!

By the way, did you guys noticed that Taxes have been increased to 8%? I just bought groceries today and found out about it, even its not 1st April!

http://www.myajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/marta-tax-increase-begins-atlanta-others-follow-fulton-april/WIqCWJlBSlDCMnYG4hrIaI/

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

4 hours ago, Roy&Chanel said:

U guys are so lucky, I think its just the location I applied for. I'm trying to see when my hubby's free to visit other branches to get my own bank account, hopefully able to do so. Still not understanding why I was having difficulties to even include my name into his account back then. We actually been to quite a few branches in Atlanta.

Tucker is kinda far for me, I live in Atlanta. I'm trying to find better apartments that are cheaper/safer furthest 15 mins from my husband's workplace lol. Its really hard, our area rentals are range around 1.3-1.5k now..its crazy and they keep increasing everytime by 55 dollars when lease is up. 

The crime rate is freaking high, I hate it when I kept getting asked for money at Walmart till date cos they looked agressive, trying to persuade my husband to travel further but Duluth is way too far for him on a daily basis lol.

I'm trying to look into Fayetteville area, heard that place's quite nice.

The weather's been really really really hot right now, I'm hating it!

By the way, did you guys noticed that Taxes have been increased to 8%? I just bought groceries today and found out about it, even its not 1st April!

http://www.myajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/marta-tax-increase-begins-atlanta-others-follow-fulton-april/WIqCWJlBSlDCMnYG4hrIaI/

We live in a gated apartment community. It's so good to know that people can only enter the property if they have a gate key or know the security code for the door. 

We used to live in Sandy Springs but didn't like the area we lived in.

My husband normally drives 15 minutes to his work. It takes a little longer in the afternoon.

We drive 25 to 30 minutes to downtown Atlanta. It's not too bad. I honestly like it that we don't live in the city because we only have one income and therefore couldn't afford  $1,000 or more for rent.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Did you guys hear about the recent buford highway collapse? I was there lol, I saw huge smoke nearby, we were about to head to the highway, Thank God my husband and I went to observatory to see planets instead lol. It was 5mins close to heading to that bridge. I guess we will not be going Duluth anytime soon cos the jam is real!

Anyway, I've read through this thread: and finally after a year, I found out the reason why banks are taking "federal withheld" deducting money from our joint accounts. So when I first come to US, I applied an SSN and on Nov 3rd 2015, I went to add my name into my husband's which was before our marriage. So someone in the thread mentioned that there will be taxed if we are not legally married yet. We got married 3 days later after adding my name into his accounts. I guess because the banks did not get an update on my marital status, I only updated them right away when I've received my green card which explains why over those months there were deductions! I should've bring my marriage cert after wedding and show it to the banks!

Now I've know why they won't refund me even they said they will lol.

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

4 hours ago, Roy&Chanel said:

Did you guys hear about the recent buford highway collapse? I was there lol, I saw huge smoke nearby, we were about to head to the highway, Thank God my husband and I went to observatory to see planets instead lol. It was 5mins close to heading to that bridge. I guess we will not be going Duluth anytime soon cos the jam is real!

Anyway, I've read through this thread: and finally after a year, I found out the reason why banks are taking "federal withheld" deducting money from our joint accounts. So when I first come to US, I applied an SSN and on Nov 3rd 2015, I went to add my name into my husband's which was before our marriage. So someone in the thread mentioned that there will be taxed if we are not legally married yet. We got married 3 days later after adding my name into his accounts. I guess because the banks did not get an update on my marital status, I only updated them right away when I've received my green card which explains why over those months there were deductions! I should've bring my marriage cert after wedding and show it to the banks!

Now I've know why they won't refund me even they said they will lol.

So glad you are both safe.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow😮so glad you guys are safe. We heard about it at work. 

Glad you got things figured out with the bank. I hate being given the run around with banks. 

The least they could have done was let you know why the funds were being deducted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Georgia Ladies and Gents,

Was everyone all ok during the tornado warning/storm last week? Our power went out for 3 hours! But, we were otherwise ok. Just lots of rain and thunder.

Oh, hey. I was interested to know if any of y'all had ever thought about trying to meet up in Atlanta for lunch or something? ^_^. It'd be great to meet some fellow expats!

...~Timeline~...

Married - December 29th 2015

~USCIS~

I-130 Sent - March 11th 2016

NOA1 - Nebraska - March 17th 2016

NOA2 - July 19th 2016

~NVC~
NVC Welcome Letter Received - August 19th 2016

Scan Date - September 19th 2016

Supervisor Review - November 1st 2016

CASE COMPLETE! - November 4th 2016

~Interview Process~

P4 E-mail Received - November 10th 2016

Medical - December 2nd 2016

Interview - December 19th 2016 - APPROVED!!!
Visa in Hand - December 23rd 2016!
POE - January 15th 2017
(L) 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Goldfinch2912 said:

Hey Georgia Ladies and Gents,

Was everyone all ok during the tornado warning/storm last week? Our power went out for 3 hours! But, we were otherwise ok. Just lots of rain and thunder.

Oh, hey. I was interested to know if any of y'all had ever thought about trying to meet up in Atlanta for lunch or something? ^_^. It'd be great to meet some fellow expats!

Would be fun but not going down town ATL ;) And also traffic is really bad because of the bridge :-/ 

1 minute ago, Georgia16 said:

Would be fun but not going down town ATL ;) And also traffic is really bad because of the bridge :-/ 

That's true. I'm about 40 miles south of ATL but takes under an hour to get there. Open to any suggestions for the surrounding area!

...~Timeline~...

~USCIS~

NOA2 - July 19th 2016

~NVC~

~Interview Process~

POE - January 15th 2017
(L) 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Goldfinch2912 said:

That's true. I'm about 40 miles south of ATL but takes under an hour to get there. Open to any suggestions for the surrounding area!

For us it's about 1 1/2 now because of the traffic it's crazy! 

7 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

For us it's about 1 1/2 now because of the traffic it's crazy! 

Ooer! :unsure:

...~Timeline~...

~USCIS~

NOA2 - July 19th 2016

~NVC~

~Interview Process~

POE - January 15th 2017
(L) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.