Vennie

Moving to Georgia...

349 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Any advice on how to go about planning and preparing for my journey would be really appreciated. I will be moving to Georgia in June to be with my Fiancé finally after being apart for nine months. Not sure about my POE as yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Moving to the US forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I am out of AP and receive my visa in hand 2 weeks ago. Looking to travel in June to Georgia. Would just appreciate any advice or tips on what best to do before and after my arrival to another country.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Bring another copy of birth certificate, high school diploma/transcript. Bring your favorite snacks and food (frozen) hint hint. Bring all your CDs, clothes, family pictures.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Yes, bring copies (ideally, more than one) of any personal or official document that would be expensive, difficult, or impossible to get after you're away from your original country. This includes vaccination records -- get two copies, preferably on a single page, with a stamp from your clinic or doctor's office.

If you have a driver's license, get it renewed for the longest possible term. If you don't have one, do your best to earn it. Having one can come in handy during your initial time in the U.S.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Yes, bring copies (ideally, more than one) of any personal or official document that would be expensive, difficult, or impossible to get after you're away from your original country. This includes vaccination records -- get two copies, preferably on a single page, with a stamp from your clinic or doctor's office.

If you have a driver's license, get it renewed for the longest possible term. If you don't have one, do your best to earn it. Having one can come in handy during your initial time in the U.S.

I have a DL (here it's valid til you are 70 years old) But according to GA you can only drive 1 month on it and you'll have to have a GA DL.

Do you know if we have to give our DL from our country or we get to keep it? I have heard both.

Timeline

Thank you. I do av double copies of all my official records. I just need to get my influenza shot as I'm told by a nurse at my medical that I won't be admitted without it or it will become a hassle for entry if I don't.

I don't have a DL as I'm in the process of learning. In my country it's cheaper to take a bus or taxi lol. But definitely a must on arriving in GA. Will use some of the time not working to do that.

I have heard though that we do get to keep our DL from our country but only for a certain period of time.

Timeline

Do you know if we have to give our DL from our country or we get to keep it? I have heard both.

Some U.S. DMVs might try to take it, but it's not theirs to take; it's the property of the other country's government. Use this reasoning, and appeal to the highest supervisory levels if the DMV employees insist otherwise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Some U.S. DMVs might try to take it, but it's not theirs to take; it's the property of the other country's government. Use this reasoning, and appeal to the highest supervisory levels if the DMV employees insist otherwise.

Okay great thanks!! Because I really want to keep my danish one...

Really?and I thought it was a must like my visa.

No not at all :) I don't have it and many other don't have it...

Hey Vennie! Welcome to Georgia!

I have been here for almost 6 months now.

I brought some cash with me when I came to the States and declared, no problem with that.

Atlanta airport customs process I-94 pretty fast, it took me a week to get information online. So I went to apply for SSN right away.

Had some problems with bank account openings though, unlike some states that are more flexible with foreigners opening account, I couldn't open a personal bank account or a joint bank account with my husband.

So they made me fill up a stack of documents and my bank account with my cash banked in was on hold because I did not have any government ID which they require. They only told me after the joint account with my husband is being processed and passed on to the main branch. I had to make a couple of trips down to the bank to settle it.

Back then I only had SSN and utility bills. Luckily, we went to get a Georgia State ID at DDS, you will get one till the I-94 expiry date, and later you can get another state ID with driving license.

I suggest you to go get your SSN a week after arrival, get a Georgia State ID because it will be so much easier for you to include your name in utility bills. They also did not allow me to put my name in Georgia Power bills when I didn't had my Georgia State ID. But I managed to put my name in our mobile bill with T-mobile.

For driving license, after getting EAD, I actually had problems getting learner's permit, I guess because not all locations of DDS are aware of K1-AOS status. I went there before getting green card, they told me to come back when I get my green card, which I totally wasted my time, could've got my license long ago. You might want to look at this thread regards to driving license in Georgia: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/589092-georgia-drivers-license-investigation-on-ead/

Georgia16: Hi there, at DDS, they did not ask for my country's DL, even though I have to fill it in the application form stating that I have other driver's license. Just bring 2 different bills and proof of residence(brought my greencard) to DDS.

In Georgia, if you are a tourist, you can drive anywhere but if you have establish residency, you have to take the test all over :(

I failed my written test today! Gonna go back to retake tomorrow, I hope I will pass! Otherwise, I have to wait for 7 days, and if fail again, 30 days! OH MY GOD!

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

I am out of AP and receive my visa in hand 2 weeks ago. Looking to travel in June to Georgia. Would just appreciate any advice or tips on what best to do before and after my arrival to another country.

Oh yesh, forget to add on:

Bring your educational certs, important documents, print copies of vaccination records, copy of passport ( when I was at POE, someone who came on K1 too, lost hers at atlanta airport!), clothes, food (strictly no meat but you can bring seafood, no bird's nest, shark's fin kinda haha)

Weather in June I heard its hot as hell! But since its still cooling right now and rainy storms once a week or so, I think summer might push back! However, the temperature in Georgia drops quite big difference from daytime to night time, bout 10 deg celsius. Bring yourself some winter wear to get yourself prepared for winter season?

I sent myself another copy of K1 package that I filed in my country, in case they wanted to see it during my AOS interview, so I shipped to myself which was quite dumb of me, because that whole file shipping fees cost 137dollars and I could've gotten a 200USD extra baggage for alot more weight!

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.