Vennie

Moving to Georgia...

349 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Oh yesh, forget to add on:

Bring your educational certs, important documents, print copies of vaccination records, copy of passport ( when I was at POE, someone who came on K1 too, lost hers at atlanta airport!), clothes, food (strictly no meat but you can bring seafood, no bird's nest, shark's fin kinda haha)

Weather in June I heard its hot as hell! But since its still cooling right now and rainy storms once a week or so, I think summer might push back! However, the temperature in Georgia drops quite big difference from daytime to night time, bout 10 deg celsius. Bring yourself some winter wear to get yourself prepared for winter season?

I sent myself another copy of K1 package that I filed in my country, in case they wanted to see it during my AOS interview, so I shipped to myself which was quite dumb of me, because that whole file shipping fees cost 137dollars and I could've gotten a 200USD extra baggage for alot more weight!

We were there all last summer and damn it was hot! at least for a couple of Scandinavians but no winter really we can wear t-shirts in the winter time but could be because we are used to more winter at home :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Roy&Chanel,

Wow I must say thank for all the information given. I'm making a time table in my journal with a list of things needed for my travel and after my arrival. So all the information received will be greatly appreciated.

Information about the SSN is well taken and will be carried out a week upon arrival?

Timeline

Thank you Georgia16,

I am glad to know it's not a serious requirement. As I was worried about not receiving it from my doctor as it as not available for a while. And was not sure it will be by the time I leave

Timeline

I doubt the hot will be much of a issue for me?It doesn't get more hotter than Jamaica and Barbados where It was so hot I got sun burn n had to stay home for a week lol.

I will welcome the cooler climate though when it comes but will definitely pack for every occassions.

I really appreciate the advices given. Thank you and everyone so much?

Hey Georgia16, yeap for me I come from a hot country in Singapore(asia). I got really excited when I arrived in October, I was really looking forward to snow, and it merely snow for like 2 hours and theres no leftovers on the ground! Oh God and I heard from my husband, its gonna be HOTTER than in asia during June! I think I'll stay indoors!

Hey Vennie, before visiting SSA office, do check online and see if you have the I-94 and print a copy out. Oh yes very important, ALWAYS VISIT SSA AND DDS ON WEDNESDAY! Its empty today when I visit SSA and DDS! I was told by them that wednesday is the best day, other days are crowded! The SSA officer told me, do not visit on the beginning first week of the month and mondays cos they're always packed! Don't park at the mall carparks beside SSA office, the SSA carpark might be full, you have to wait. We got a ticket on our first time when we parked at the departmental store carpark! They have security looking at people who are going to SSA office instead of patronizing their stores. What a waste of money! Lesson learnt!

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Hey Vennie, while waiting, you can try and study this: http://driving-tests.org/georgia/ and try out the tests. The questions are pretty much alike, I failed because I couldn't get in my head and it was a last minute one day of study. Try taking the tests and you'll definitely pass in the driving written test!

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Timeline

Wow☺those are some fabulous advice. Will definitely pass them along to my fiance. We both use the site but he is currently tied up with work so I'm gathering all the information I can and share them with him.

I know I will love living in Georgia. Its sounds like a great place to live. The advice on the SSN n DDS offices is greatly appreciated?

Oh hey Vennie and Georgia16! I've got my learner's permit finally! Tried on a 2nd test and got it! They also issued me a new state ID!

Now I have to practice on driving and get my DL!

Thanks! Just need to get a job real soon. Seeing my savings cash flow decreasing is a nightmare!
I need to get a job asap! I've been looking for two weeks or so now, so far nothing yet. Fingers crossed!
How are you guys doing?

By the way, its HOTLANTA now!

Timeline

Uuuuh we are SO going to melt there haha ... !! (And we don't do good with the sun because we are so blond and light skin :-/ )

Our case is on it's way to the embassy so still waiting and still hoping to move in June. We have a wait for interview so it'll be very late May/early June.

I hope you find a job soon!!

Edited by Georgia16

Timeline

That will also be one of my greatest worries. Finding a job but hopefully success will arrive in due time.

I do hope you find one soon also, and I will also pray and keep my fingers cross for you.

Will definitely be traveling in mid June. So i'm taking this time to work and save as much more as I can. And getting my school documents and all important papers together.

I'm so eager to see him already?it's long overdue.

Yeah u gotta save ALOT. I did not save much and regretted. The rental is ridiculously high here even though it is not inside the city. I am staying outside of the main city in Atlanta and my rental is high. So stressed out on not able to find a job right now.

Here's some funny stuffs I've experienced in ATL:

1) I requested home delivery of my purchased furniture with Ikea here in Atlanta, my husband's credit card was used as fraud, we had to settle with the bank, contacted the IKEA office and no news since 6 months ago about it.

2) Bad experiences with the food here, went to Ruby Tuesday, had COCKROACH FEELERS in it, stuck to the plate, dirty plates, complained and puked.

3) Getting no service treatment from an Asian Resto, we did not have cash at that time and didn't tip, receipt had no option too, I was head over heels on my greencard interview approved, got chased by crazy waitress for tips.

4) Went to mall yesterday, got a little girl around 3 years old asking women for 20 dollars.

5) We went for car wash and they damaged our car but luckily they repaired it

6) Maintenance guy in our apartment came into our home without notice and gave me a huge fright when I first came

7) Went to tour around Atlanta at Capitol State, met one of the officials, we chatted for alittle and told him that I was here with K1 and AOS, he replied, "I hope you won't get a divorce soon!" We were like WTH haha..

8) Random fast food places offering you free meals and telling you its on treats!

9) People eavesdropping on what your husband and you talk about at Walmart and tells you where and what to get for groceries. Our carts were always taken away by someone discreetly while shopping haha. Just a turn and its gone lol.

10) People asking for money outside walmart, just tell them you do not have cash, only uses card

11) Random sales people sometimes offer you staff discounts using their own accounts when you purchase stuffs.

I like how people are really friendly in Georgia, they greet you or say hi to you randomly.

My parents will be visiting next week, I am planning to bring them to visit the YOU-PICK farms and drive to Biltmore estates (3 hours ride to NC), Stone mountain, Coca cola museum, Georgia aquarium (largest in world), Georgia guidestones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Oh yes, if you shop up north in Mall of Georgia, Perimeter Mall etc, the sales tax is 1% lower than Atlanta.

I'm feeling the heat already guys, in the night time it was OK, 16degs C, but in day time its 29degs.

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Timeline

Yeah u gotta save ALOT. I did not save much and regretted. The rental is ridiculously high here even though it is not inside the city. I am staying outside of the main city in Atlanta and my rental is high. So stressed out on not able to find a job right now.

Here's some funny stuffs I've experienced in ATL:

1) I requested home delivery of my purchased furniture with Ikea here in Atlanta, my husband's credit card was used as fraud, we had to settle with the bank, contacted the IKEA office and no news since 6 months ago about it.

2) Bad experiences with the food here, went to Ruby Tuesday, had COCKROACH FEELERS in it, stuck to the plate, dirty plates, complained and puked.

3) Getting no service treatment from an Asian Resto, we did not have cash at that time and didn't tip, receipt had no option too, I was head over heels on my greencard interview approved, got chased by crazy waitress for tips.

4) Went to mall yesterday, got a little girl around 3 years old asking women for 20 dollars.

5) We went for car wash and they damaged our car but luckily they repaired it

6) Maintenance guy in our apartment came into our home without notice and gave me a huge fright when I first came

7) Went to tour around Atlanta at Capitol State, met one of the officials, we chatted for alittle and told him that I was here with K1 and AOS, he replied, "I hope you won't get a divorce soon!" We were like WTH haha..

8) Random fast food places offering you free meals and telling you its on treats!

9) People eavesdropping on what your husband and you talk about at Walmart and tells you where and what to get for groceries. Our carts were always taken away by someone discreetly while shopping haha. Just a turn and its gone lol.

10) People asking for money outside walmart, just tell them you do not have cash, only uses card

11) Random sales people sometimes offer you staff discounts using their own accounts when you purchase stuffs.

I like how people are really friendly in Georgia, they greet you or say hi to you randomly.

My parents will be visiting next week, I am planning to bring them to visit the YOU-PICK farms and drive to Biltmore estates (3 hours ride to NC), Stone mountain, Coca cola museum, Georgia aquarium (largest in world), Georgia guidestones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Oh yes, if you shop up north in Mall of Georgia, Perimeter Mall etc, the sales tax is 1% lower than Atlanta.

Maybe because we live out of Atlanta towards Buford I have never had any of those problems at all :)

Been to all of the highlighted places and think they were all good :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.