iLoveMyKiwiMan

Please help I'm lost!!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I met my boyfriend through a chat forum 3 years ago. We actually were friendstill all that time and started dating a month ago. He wants to move here and I want him to move here too so that we can get married. I didn't realize all the regulations and paperwork you have to go through in order to move to the United States from New Zealand. Can anyone help me? Is there anyway he can just fly here with his passaport and we can get married? Or do we have to go through all the paperwork first? What are some things I can expect? Is there a long waiting list? He does not have a criminal record or even a traffic ticket.

Filed: Other Timeline

You need to have met in the last 2 years, you need to get to really know each other in person,

you will need to show on going relationships interaction.

No he cannot enter the country as a tourist to marry and stay, that would be fraud, however he

can get marry while visiting then return home while his petition by you is being processed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Can anyone help me?

Yes, that's what we're here for. Do yourself a favor though, and :guides: . While I've found the community very helpful, a LOT of questions can be answered by reading the guides and examples that already exist. Just click the "Guides" button up at the top.

Is there anyway he can just fly here with his passaport and we can get married? Or do we have to go through all the paperwork first?

There is nothing stopping you from getting married, here or anywhere else. HOWEVER, he can't stay here in the US beyond the time approved by CBP when he arrives. Just because you're married does not give him any kind of immigration status. It just gives him (and you) the ability to petition for him to receive immigration status. There are ways around the K1/CR1 process (specifically: adjusting status from a tourist visa) but that way is very risky since you're already declared on a public message board that is assumed to be frequented by USCIS that his intent would be to get married and stay in the US. USCIS can charge your boyfriend/fiance with visa fraud for entering the US in a non-immigrant status (tourist visa) with the intent to get married and immigrate. It can be done, but why risk being banned because of visa fraud to save a couple of months?

There is always going to be paperwork, regardless of if you do it the "right" (K1/CR1) way or not. In my opinion, and what I believe is the general consensus here, take the time to do it the right way, and then you don't have to worry about the possibility of him being denied and banned entry. The paperwork really isn't that difficult, even if the waiting game is.

What are some things I can expect?

Again, :guides: . They are extremely helpful and lay out exactly what you and he need to do to get the petition submitted to USCIS. Also, the Search feature if you are not on a cellphone is very handy; I've generally been able to find answers to my questions just by searching for it. The knowledge on this board is pretty comprehensive; use the tools provided, get ready to read a lot of information, and you'll be fine. As Douglas Adams put it: DON'T PANIC!

Is there a long waiting list?

You can view the current "wait lists" by clicking the "Processing Times" link in the menu above. You can also view historical averages from that page, so you can get a feel for how long each route takes. Every case is different, even though they all start the same way, so take the averages as just that - an average estimate.

Also, please update your profile, so that other members can see what visa you are chasing and from where, so they might be able to provide advice specific to your process.

Welcome to the Journey!

Edited by cypherdragon

Our Timeline (click the button!):

06/12/15 - Met online and started talking
09/25/15 - She came to the US on holidays, decided to spend a weekend to meet me in Texas.
10/02/15 - I must have done something right, since she came back the next weekend too! :whistle:

10/05/15 - Sadly, she had to return to China for work. We keep talking.
11/12/15 - I leave to visit her in Shanghai. A very beautiful city, if I do say so myself.

11/16/15 - My turn to leave for work. :(

12/10/15 - I-129F sent to USCIS lockbox.

12/16/15 - NOA1 email received.

12/21/15 - NOA1 hardcopy received.

01/21/16 - NOA2 email & text received. 36 days processing time!

01/25/16 - NOA2 hardcopy received.

02/03/16 - NVC received (date uncertain?)/GUZ # assigned

02/04/16 - Sent to Guangzhou embassy

02/07/16 - She's come to visit for CNY :dancing:

02/20/16 - Our holidays together are over *sigh*. Back to waiting...

03/11/16 - Packet 3 received.

03/13/16 - Packet 3 returned.

03/18/16 - Packet 4 received.

04/21/16 - Interview at GZ - Approved! :luv:

04/23/16 - I have to return to work...back to waiting for her visa to arrive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Cypherdragon is spot on. Research the guide preferably from a PC. Adjusting from a marriage when your finances is here on a tourist visa and you decide to get married is risky and can take a lot more time, and from what I understand is not subject to appeal if it is denied (I could be wrong about the last one). Also as stated above and by you, your intent is to get married, so if CBP asks your fiancé what is the purpose of his trip upon arrival on a tourist visa, how would he respond? He faces the risk of being turned around.

I would focus on the K1 research, but you could also get married in NZ (a truly beautiful country) and take the CR1 (spousal visa) route.

Regardless of your choice, Good Luck with your journey!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

I met my boyfriend through a chat forum 3 years ago. We actually were friendstill all that time and started dating a month ago. He wants to move here and I want him to move here too so that we can get married. I didn't realize all the regulations and paperwork you have to go through in order to move to the United States from New Zealand. Can anyone help me? Is there anyway he can just fly here with his passaport and we can get married? Or do we have to go through all the paperwork first? What are some things I can expect? Is there a long waiting list? He does not have a criminal record or even a traffic ticket.

I he comes to visit you as a tourist, you can get married in US and go through all immigration process inside the US. It is not a fraud if he comes to visit and then he changes his mind deciding to marry you, it's not a fraud to apply for a green card without leaving his wife an US. There is some 60-90 days rule, like you cannot change your mind and marry too fast but after 60-90 days it's OK. By the way, going through immigration process from tourist visa to green card inside of US is much more easy even if it takes time. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The OP has already stated that they want to get married. So coming here on a tourist visa and then getting married is fraud.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

The OP has already stated that they want to get married. So coming here on a tourist visa and then getting married is fraud.

No. It's not a fraud. He can go to visit her with intention to visit and not getting married yet to change his mind staying with her over 60-90 days. people has the right to change their minds and the Immigration recognize that. Time changes situations and people, could be health, relatives influence, pregnancy, much more emotional attachment etc. Not a fraud at all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No. It's not a fraud. He can go to visit her with intention to visit and not getting married yet to change his mind staying with her over 60-90 days. people has the right to change their minds and the Immigration recognize that. Time changes situations and people, could be health, relatives influence, pregnancy, much more emotional attachment etc. Not a fraud at all.

She has already stated that they want to get married.

What you are talking about is just friends meeting in the US (or meeting in the US then becoming friends) and then out of the clear blue deciding to get married.

This case is different. Do you think USCIS doesn't read VJ? They certainly do read Facebook, that's well documented.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

There is no fraud if a person acquires a B-2 Visa with the intent to travel to the US and get Married. That is one of the things allowable on the B-2 Visa. Fraud ONLY comes into play if the person acquires the B-2 Visa and enters with the intent of adjusting status. He is more than welcome to enter on a B2 Visa, get married, and return home to wait out the IR1/CR1 process.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I he comes to visit you as a tourist, you can get married in US and go through all immigration process inside the US. It is not a fraud if he comes to visit and then he changes his mind deciding to marry you, it's not a fraud to apply for a green card without leaving his wife an US. There is some 60-90 days rule, like you cannot change your mind and marry too fast but after 60-90 days it's OK. By the way, going through immigration process from tourist visa to green card inside of US is much more easy even if it takes time. Good luck!

You're implying that's it's ok to come here knowing that this is the plan....it's not. Additionally,there is no 60 90 day rule, that's false despite what you think. This is fraud...everything you're implying. Don't give out this advice.

You're implying that's it's ok to come here knowing that this is the plan....it's not. Additionally,there is no 60 90 day rule, that's false despite what you think. This is fraud...everything you're implying. Don't give out this advice.

I am NOT implying anything, read what I said. It is not a fraud. The people can have a tourist visa, the people can plan to go to K1 visa process in their country, the people can go to visit without even thinking to marry on tourist visa and the people can suddenly change their mind, marry and stay in US to adjust a status. Not a crime, not a fraud, it's life and the Immigration allows this. Period.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am NOT implying anything, read what I said. It is not a fraud. The people can have a tourist visa, the people can plan to go to K1 visa process in their country, the people can go to visit without even thinking to marry on tourist visa and the people can suddenly change their mind, marry and stay in US to adjust a status. Not a crime, not a fraud, it's life and the Immigration allows this. Period.

Through the evolution of the thread you certainly did. Especially given the quote you replied to.

But there are already thinking about getting married. She MENTIONED getting married in the post. They are planning to get married.

The intent is already there. So it's fraud. Period.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can come, marry and leave.

I read it that he wants to stay.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.