Junisdav77

K1 being held up due to DNA for K2

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Does anyone have information regarding a K1 being held up for DNA testing on a K2 applicant? I am very lost, my fiance was approved for his K1 on 12/11/15, he was told he needed to bring back the birth certificate for his minor child before his visa would be issued. He did and was scheduled for a follow up yesterday 1/26/16. When he went the advised him that they are requesting DNA for his K2 applicant who we clearly state will not be traveling with him at this time. The child is 14 and may not join us in the US, she is undecided if she will stay with her mother. The only reason there is a K2 on file for her is because US law mandates we list her on the I-129F petition for fiance visa. We are willing to do the DNA testing but why are they not issuing his visa until this is done? It is expensive and will cost us about 6-8 weeks, please help...I am trying to plan a wedding here and this is turning into a nightmare. Why can't DNA be done once he is here and we are ready to bring her? I don't understand. This is in Kingston Jamaica.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have not heard of this before. We have a K-2 as well he is only 4. How old is yours?

The person I am petitioning is a women. Since you are bringing over a guy with a child who would be separated from him mom I wonder if this is the reason.

Let us know what happens.

Hopefully others can shed more light on this subject.

Her interview with the boy is next month. Medical is complete. No mention to her about his DNA.

Tyler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

DNA is not normal, it is however not uncommon for certain Consulates due to fraud issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If they are suspicious enough to want DNA they are also suspicious that he is trying to commit immigration fraud to bring a non related child. Proof via DNA closed both

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Does anyone have information regarding a K1 being held up for DNA testing on a K2 applicant? I am very lost, my fiance was approved for his K1 on 12/11/15, he was told he needed to bring back the birth certificate for his minor child before his visa would be issued. He did and was scheduled for a follow up yesterday 1/26/16. When he went the advised him that they are requesting DNA for his K2 applicant who we clearly state will not be traveling with him at this time. The child is 14 and may not join us in the US, she is undecided if she will stay with her mother. The only reason there is a K2 on file for her is because US law mandates we list her on the I-129F petition for fiance visa.

No, you must have listed the child on the DS-160 (or is it the DS-260?) online form that was completed prior to the interview. It is there that you list which children are to receive a K-2. You list ALL children on the 129f form, regardless of age or immigration intent.

We are willing to do the DNA testing but why are they not issuing his visa until this is done?

If you listed them as To Follow (meaning come to the US after the parent immigrate here), then no visa would be being issued at this time. You must have listed them as To Join (the parent in immigrating to the US).

It is expensive and will cost us about 6-8 weeks, please help...I am trying to plan a wedding here and this is turning into a nightmare. Why can't DNA be done once he is here and we are ready to bring her? I don't understand. This is in Kingston Jamaica.

I don't understand also. Something is not adding up. Please explain to us.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Did you petition for the daughter to immigrate? If not, I would inquire with the embassy as to why a DNA test is necessary if the child is not included in the petition.

Remember that every embassy is different. I've seen an increase in the request for DNA tests in JA. However, it should really only be required if they were petitioned, unless they're concerned about child support or something. Is he listed on the child's birth certificate?

I have not heard of this before. We have a K-2 as well he is only 4. How old is yours?

The person I am petitioning is a women. Since you are bringing over a guy with a child who would be separated from him mom I wonder if this is the reason.

Let us know what happens.

Hopefully others can shed more light on this subject.

Her interview with the boy is next month. Medical is complete. No mention to her about his DNA.

Tyler

OP stated the child is 14 and contemplating immigrating or remaining with her mother in JA.

Timeline

I listed her on the DS-160 yes, I stated that she was to follow. There were no additional fees paid for her at that time, no package for medical, it has always been clear she will not be joining him immediately as she is in a very good school and we did not want to bring her until summer break 2016. The expense and delays I am speaking of are in regards to the DNA testing, you have to pay for that out of pocket. It must be an accredited lab that is only located in the US and Canada it is a DHL back and forth to actually get the DNA testing done.

The reason the DNA testing is being requested is probably due to the fact that many people who reside in the country parts of Jamaica are able to function normally without the "long form" when a child is born there at the hospital the parents are given a registration form also known as a "pink certificate" schools will allow children to be registered with that form. My fiance and his 14 year old's birth mother never officially applied for and received the long form which is required for this process. Her long form was just completed which makes me understand why they would want DNA.

I still don't understand what this all has to do with a "to follow" K2. DNA is becoming more common and done when the parent resides elsewhere all the time.

Even if DNA says she is not his, there is proof that there was no intent to fraud. For 14 years his name is on her school records, medical records, everything. He has always been her primary caregiver so regardless of DNA test he can prove that he has always acknowledged this child as his own. Not like he was absent and is just now claiming her. If DNA says she is not, he will be more shocked than anyone and in my opinion a true victim, a chance many fathers take. He and the mother have not resided together in 7 years and I know for a fact he is on all of her schooling documents as I helped him register her for the upcoming school year when I was there in July. We went together to get her old records to transition her from primary to secondary school, school doesn't even know her mother only him. His name also appeared on the original registration form that is considered a "birth" document that he has used to get her in school, to the doctors, etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Maybe it was clear to to you when or if she would follow, but was it to the embassy? When you list a child on the DS160 under "To follow" that is just what it means.

The reason they want a DNA test is to ensure the child is legitmately his and entitled to immigration rights. You've listed her to follow so they are making sure she is entitled to that privilege. I guess your options here are to complete the DNA testing or delete her from the process for now. I assume if you want her to come and some point later on the embassy will still require DNA testing.

The unfortunate thing about this whole K1 process is you cannot plan anything...at all ahead of time. There are some many variables and nothing is guaranteed. I know how you feel. I've been waiting almost 2 years to have some type of wedding. At this point I'd take a trip to the courthouse. It's just par for the course.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Basically they are determining now if the child is eligible to follow. Since birth certificate was recently registered, it is protocol to request a DNA test.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Looks like the costs vary from $420 to $683 USD. I have not officially paid for any wedding items, I knew to wait for that. I have held dates etc. I double checked the DS-160 and I answered the questions correctly one being is the minor child traveling with you to the US and I said "No". the next question was do you intend for the minor child join you later in US I said "yes." The embassy is clear that her travel was always meant to be later, as I would be required to submit a separate DS-160 for her at the time I did her father. She too would have been interviewed etc. she is 14, that means she would have been processed just as he was if the intent was ever that she travel with him now, There are several dynamics going on here and there is a chance that she will remain in Jamaica and we will support her financially from here. Again, I am still failing to see why all of this would be required now prior to his K1 visa being issued. We wanted to deal with bringing the child at a later date due to all of the back and forth on whether or not she will come. The DNA test is not the problem, they need DNA to prove she is eligible for him to file for her...fine, but why does it have to be done now? Or are we missing something. DNA is done all the time with one individual in the US and the other abroad. Once we are 100% sure she in fact wants to come to the US we will complete the process. I don't understand what is so hard about that.

Timeline

We are not fighting the DNA testing, we completely understand that. Again, more evidence than enough that from her date of birth this man believed he is her father and has supported and raised her as such. DNA is not going to prove fraud on his part just that her mother lied 14 years ago and mislead a man into supporting a child that wasn't his, ,or she may have believed he was and was mistaken. Either way we aren't worried about the results of the DNA test as he honestly believes she is his and has always. What is the point?????

By the way I am an adoptive mother in the US to a 3 year old, so I am very passionate about DNA meaning nothing. I understand in cases that people have lied and caused this issue. But I can tell you first hand from my family that men are lied to all the time about paternity. They are complete victims into this. Anybody ever seen the Maury show? SMH

I am not inquiring or resisting the DNA test....just asking if there is anything we can do to get him here and we deal with this later as the plan was never to have her accompany him now anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.