kallyz

Removing Condition almost a year

38 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I'm getting frustrated now towards my ROC. This ROC journey is way too slow!

I filled on April and got my biometric on August then I got RFE and I sent the evidences & arrived on 11/24. ( I used with tracking # but the usps lady eventually didn't put signature requires eventhough I told her ) so I had no idea who was the person at USCIS got my RFE paper works ).

Until now I haven't get any letter about approval or do We need to be interview or whatsoever.

I'm thinking to call them if until the end of January I haven't hear or receive anything from them.

I'm worry because my extended visa will be expire on April and my passport is already expired ( I didn't renew my passport because I wasn't attend to go back home for visit and thinking to become U.S citizen after ROC and make the new passport )

So my question is how can I get another extend visa if until April I still got no news from them?

I read that Infopass for expired passport only needs to bring 2 passport photos and USCIS will make in separate letter for the new extend visa, is that correct?

And I can't check my status online because the status only said like My Case was received on April. No description like initial review etc

Thank you in advance for the input

You could file for citizenship using an N-400 as long as you are qualified. Your RoC does not have to be approved to do this. Filing an N-400 forces USCIS to adjudicate the I-751; when called to your N-400 interview they may be adjudicated back-to-back (i.e. you have an interview for your I-751, it's approved, and your adjudicator immediately moves to the N-400).

hi Hypnos, thank you for the input because i had no idea that i'm qualified for the citizenship, so the best way if i wanna do this, i should do it before my extended visa i expire, correct?

A visa is a document for entering the country. You instead have a conditional green card for which you have applied to remove conditions.

You can use the following worksheet to see if you are qualified to file for citizenship: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship%20%26%20Naturalization%20Based%20Resources/A%20Guide%20to%20Naturalization/PDFs/M-480.pdf

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

A visa is a document for entering the country. You instead have a conditional green card for which you have applied to remove conditions.

You can use the following worksheet to see if you are qualified to file for citizenship: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship%20%26%20Naturalization%20Based%20Resources/A%20Guide%20to%20Naturalization/PDFs/M-480.pdf

Will do. Guess i've to start to learn for the test earlier :P

So, let says, if I wanted to travel before receive the 10 years GC, I should make an infopass appointment and get the I-551 stamp, and travel with the NOA1 letter, and if I don't want to go travel out of country, i don't have to make the infopass? only driving around with my DL? because i'm not working either so i don't need EAD.

Correct. If travelling internationally you will require an I-551 stamp from an Infopass if your one year extension has already expired. Once you have the I-551 stamp you will require no other document to travel, just your passport with that stamp in it.

They will likely keep your original green card at the Infopass when they give you the stamp; this is normal.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just to add to what Hypnos has already said> Even if you were working, you would not need an EAD. You are a permanent resident green card holder and do not need an EAD to work in the US.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Doesn't her passport need to be unexpired though? The stamp is to verify that she is a permanent resident whose application for a new card is being processed. If you are traveling internationally, you need a valid passport. No?

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Doesn't her passport need to be unexpired though? The stamp is to verify that she is a permanent resident whose application for a new card is being processed. If you are traveling internationally, you need a valid passport. No?

Yep, good catch. Need a valid passport too, and not just an I-551 stamp or green card to travel abroad.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You have your expired conditional card and that one year extension letter, effectively extending that expired date for one more year.

Good question to ask, is why do they only make that extension letter only one year, can't even process your I-751 application in that very short time the way these service centers operate.

Once that one year extension letter expires you are no longer able to work or travel, so forced to make an infopass appointment to either get an I-551 stamp in your current valid passport, OR bring in two passport type photos and apply for an I-94.

Depending on the laws of your state, if you applied for your driver's license, it may have expired the same date your conditional card expired, you cannot drive with an expired driver's license. Even with that one year extension letter, may have our experience, and I quote, P what in the hell is this one year extension notice. And if you are working, your employer may say the same thing in a politically correct manner.

When you very politely reply, this is how the USCIS operates, you hear, what in the heck is the USCIS? Admittedly, all of my friends, relatives, and even myself never heard about the USCIS either. So this requires a lot of proof and explanation.

And even furthermore, they will ask, what in the heck is an I-551 stamp in your passport or that I-94? That requires even more explanation.

One key reason why we were prompted to apply for US citizenship practically exactly one year after we applied for the I-751, this everyone understood. Proof for natural born US citizens is a birth certificate.

But we still had to make that infopass appointment for either that I-551 stamp or that I-94, the latter is far more convenient. Just like your green card, you are required to carry that I-94 with you at all times. Well maybe not to your bathroom at home, but as soon as you leave your dwelling.

Yes, this was a very troubling time for practically all of us.

OR bring in two passport type photos and apply for an I-94.

...What?

I-94s aren't issued to immigrants.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Timeline

Your 1-year extension letter will expire in April, right? There is no "visa" here. You should get an I-551 stamp if it is still not approved close to April. I-551 is proof of permanent residency, and you are supposed to always carry proof with you as a permanent resident. It's not only for international travel, but also for work, for getting a driver's license, for if you get stopped at one of those CBP checkpoints, etc. It's your proof of legal status.

Yes, I-551 stamp can be issued without a passport.

And as many people suggested, you can apply for naturalization, when you've been a permanent resident for 3 years minus 90 days.

Your 1-year extension letter will expire in April, right? There is no "visa" here. You should get an I-551 stamp if it is still not approved close to April. I-551 is proof of permanent residency, and you are supposed to always carry proof with you as a permanent resident. It's not only for international travel, but also for work, for getting a driver's license, for if you get stopped at one of those CBP checkpoints, etc. It's your proof of legal status.

Yes, I-551 stamp can be issued without a passport.

And as many people suggested, you can apply for naturalization, when you've been a permanent resident for 3 years minus 90 days.

If you are still married to the person who initially petitioned you. You cannot do this if you are filing with a waiver unless the initial AOS case was VAWA.

OP has no timeline or previous posts so it's hard to tell how they're filing, what they came over with, etc...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Correct. If travelling internationally you will require an I-551 stamp from an Infopass if your one year extension has already expired. Once you have the I-551 stamp you will require no other document to travel, just your passport with that stamp in it.

They will likely keep your original green card at the Infopass when they give you the stamp; this is normal.

Just to add to what Hypnos has already said> Even if you were working, you would not need an EAD. You are a permanent resident green card holder and do not need an EAD to work in the US.

Yep, good catch. Need a valid passport too, and not just an I-551 stamp or green card to travel abroad.

Indeed, but i have no plan to travel abroad

You have your expired conditional card and that one year extension letter, effectively extending that expired date for one more year.

Good question to ask, is why do they only make that extension letter only one year, can't even process your I-751 application in that very short time the way these service centers operate.

Once that one year extension letter expires you are no longer able to work or travel, so forced to make an infopass appointment to either get an I-551 stamp in your current valid passport, OR bring in two passport type photos and apply for an I-94.

Depending on the laws of your state, if you applied for your driver's license, it may have expired the same date your conditional card expired, you cannot drive with an expired driver's license. Even with that one year extension letter, may have our experience, and I quote, P what in the hell is this one year extension notice. And if you are working, your employer may say the same thing in a politically correct manner.

When you very politely reply, this is how the USCIS operates, you hear, what in the heck is the USCIS? Admittedly, all of my friends, relatives, and even myself never heard about the USCIS either. So this requires a lot of proof and explanation.

And even furthermore, they will ask, what in the heck is an I-551 stamp in your passport or that I-94? That requires even more explanation.

One key reason why we were prompted to apply for US citizenship practically exactly one year after we applied for the I-751, this everyone understood. Proof for natural born US citizens is a birth certificate.

But we still had to make that infopass appointment for either that I-551 stamp or that I-94, the latter is far more convenient. Just like your green card, you are required to carry that I-94 with you at all times. Well maybe not to your bathroom at home, but as soon as you leave your dwelling.

Yes, this was a very troubling time for practically all of us.

Thank you so much all for the input, really appreciate it!

My DL will be expire until 2017 so i am okay for it so far, and i am not working so i am good.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.