kallyz

Removing Condition almost a year

38 posts in this topic

Your 1-year extension letter will expire in April, right? There is no "visa" here. You should get an I-551 stamp if it is still not approved close to April. I-551 is proof of permanent residency, and you are supposed to always carry proof with you as a permanent resident. It's not only for international travel, but also for work, for getting a driver's license, for if you get stopped at one of those CBP checkpoints, etc. It's your proof of legal status.

Yes, I-551 stamp can be issued without a passport.

And as many people suggested, you can apply for naturalization, when you've been a permanent resident for 3 years minus 90 days.

Newacct, yes correct, my extension letter will expire in 1st April. So i can make an appointment at USCIS to get I-551 stamp eventhough my passport already expired, then where do they will put the I-551 stamp for me to carry anywhere i go?

If you are still married to the person who initially petitioned you. You cannot do this if you are filing with a waiver unless the initial AOS case was VAWA.

OP has no timeline or previous posts so it's hard to tell how they're filing, what they came over with, etc...

I came here on 2011, then i got my 2 years visa 2013 - 2015.

Your 1-year extension letter will expire in April, right? There is no "visa" here. You should get an I-551 stamp if it is still not approved close to April. I-551 is proof of permanent residency, and you are supposed to always carry proof with you as a permanent resident. It's not only for international travel, but also for work, for getting a driver's license, for if you get stopped at one of those CBP checkpoints, etc. It's your proof of legal status.

Yes, I-551 stamp can be issued without a passport.

And as many people suggested, you can apply for naturalization, when you've been a permanent resident for 3 years minus 90 days.

So what do i need to bring beside 2 assport photos? Which form that i should fill, Newacct? this is what i got from google : The USCIS will typically issue the I-551 stamp with a validity period of 6 to 12 months. However, if the applicant’s passport expires prior to that time, the stamp will likely reflect the expiration date of the passport.

Edited by kallyz

Are you still married to the petitioner?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

NLR, yes i do. Am i eligible for the N-400?

You can file at 3 years minus 90 days yes.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Once that one year extension letter expires you are no longer able to work or travel, so forced to make an infopass appointment to either get an I-551 stamp in your current valid passport, OR bring in two passport type photos and apply for an I-94.

You seem very confused. You do not apply for an I-94, and certainly would not at an infopass with the USCIS. An I-94 is given to visitors/non-immigrants upon entry to the US by the CBP.

Definition of an I-94 > https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/880/~/definition-of-an-i-94

Visas are issued outside the US and are used to legally enter the US. You did not receive a 2 year visa. You applied to adjust status and became a permanent resident. You were given a green card with a 2 year validity, and once your I-751 to remove conditions is approved, then you will receive a green card with a 10 year validity.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

Many have suggested applying for citizenship at the three year mark to force the processing of the I-751. What about those that can't apply for citizenship at the three year mark because of issues related to their home country? What should they do?

Filed: Timeline

Many have suggested applying for citizenship at the three year mark to force the processing of the I-751. What about those that can't apply for citizenship at the three year mark because of issues related to their home country? What should they do?

Get an I-551 stamp and just wait for ROC to finish, however long it takes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Regarding the I-94 option its right here, unless they changed it recently.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/Archives%201998-2008/2003/crextensn120203.pdf

Why would you dispute this when we already went through this? Wife had a current valid passport with her passport photo in it so was eligible to get that I-551 stamp in her passport book. But her daughter, was a victim of these long delays did not have a current valid passport, and her terrible biological father refused to give her permission to renew it. And even though my wife had full custody of her child, her consulate refused to renew it without permission from her don't give a damn biological first.

So with her we had to bring two valid passport type photos and apply for this I-94, she also had to remain legal. Even though I petitioned for my stepdaughter at exactly the same time as my wife and she was at the AOS with us, had to be there as well. Her conditional card was dated 45 days later. Don't ask me why. But with other parents, they had over a 90 day delay in getting conditional green cards. So they had to file for an additional I-751 and pay the full fee for each child.

You don't question this, you just do it and pay the fees.

And because of long delays from the time we submitted all those forms for both my wife and stepdaughter at the time we finally were here for practically a full year, they couldn't do anything, but were legal to stay here, and had no green cards whatsoever. Because of this, my stepdaughter barely turned 18, like a week over, and even though she was in high school at the time, and definitely a dependent, she was not allowed to receive US citizenship when her mother did, I pleaded with the USCIS on this issue, but 18 is 18, whoever came up with this law?

So for her USCIS, it was another full fee, another, 1,350 miles of driving, and another two week wait for her. Just because the USCIS delayed our AOS interview, for an extra week.

If this wasn't bad enough, her US citizenship process was delayed, she had to answer assault and battery charges made by her interviewer when she was 17 months old and living in her home country, wish I was lying on this issue, already had proof she was crime free. This was yet another battle we had to overcome.

Filed: Timeline

No the above is still true- there is another Q&A memo dated 2011 stating the same thing.

If it is still pending 1 year after filing you can bring either your passport and get a stamp (they will stamp 1 more year if the passport expires sooner- the date it expires) OR they can issue a Form I-94 and stamp it. This requires having a photograph.

I think the issue here is the word 'renew' or 'extend' keeps being thrown around. The I-94 can not be extended for K status. But they will stamp it- so you are getting extended so to speak.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Outreach/Notes%20from%20Previous%20Engagements/2011/October%202011/AILA_Field_Ops%20-_Q%26A_102511_Final.pdf

Edited by Damara

I've literally never heard of that before. Certainly seems like an edge case, since the vast majority of people are going to have valid passports for their I-551 stamps.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I stand corrected, and have happily learned something new. I had never heard of the I-94 being issued with an I-551 stamp for proving immigrant status either.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What do you do when you have a 15 year old stepdaughter with an expired passport whose biological father that hasn't even seen or do anything for her for the last nine years refuses to give his permission to renew her foreign expired passport? And if working with a hardheaded consulate that refuses to renew it, even though you have a court order giving her mother full permission to bring her here, and proof the mother has full custody of this child?

You are between a rock and a hard place!

Then you may also run into a USCIS interviewer that never heard of this either, So have to show them this letter. You get curious as to why they don't even know this, so you get into the employee requirements at the USCIS to become a USCIS interviewer. Not very much in the lines of experience or education, ha, believe one of the key requirements is to have an IQ less than two.

Do you even get a reminder from the USCIS that your conditional card is soon to expire? We never did, can you go into your USCIS and get help in filling out that brain twisting I-751 form or any form for this matter? Forget about this also.

What you have to do, is to go in and be extremely polite and nice, if you get the least bit angry, the guards will come and toss you out. And its completely up to you to keep yourself legal. If you don't, you and nobody else will suffer the consequences.

You seem very confused. You do not apply for an I-94, and certainly would not at an infopass with the USCIS. An I-94 is given to visitors/non-immigrants upon entry to the US by the CBP.

Definition of an I-94 > https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/880/~/definition-of-an-i-94

Visas are issued outside the US and are used to legally enter the US. You did not receive a 2 year visa. You applied to adjust status and became a permanent resident. You were given a green card with a 2 year validity, and once your I-751 to remove conditions is approved, then you will receive a green card with a 10 year validity.

Thank you for clear me out about the difference :) So what i need just asking for I-551 stamp with my expired passport, and bring 2 passport photos to extend while i am waiting the decision, correct?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.