christera22

Where to send for Renunciation of citizenship ? CKGS or Travisa

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I would be obtaining my US passport verysoon. So I wanted to get some info on Renunciation & Visa

a) Where is best to apply for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship ? CKGS or Travisa ?

b) I learnt that tourist visa is cheaper and faster than PIO/OCI ... Is that true ?

Thanks a lot for all the help

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Timeline

After I get my US passport I have to renounce my Indian citizenship ...if thats what u meant

AOS
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
Removing Condition
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

No, my point was when you got your citizenship you had to break all ties/allegiances/citizenships with other countries when you accepted the US one.

You cant get a US Passport if you didn't become a citizen of the united states, and to do that you had to renounce other citizenships already. So I don't understand what you are trying to renounce at this point.

But maybe im just confused :P

tumblr_mx13xz5r3o1spaqpio1_250.gif

Timeline

well I already passed my citizenship interview and headed to my oath ceremony , if you read my timeline. Once you get your citizenship certificate, you can apply for US passport. Once you get that , you renounce your indian citizenship with the original indian passport and copy of your US passport. Thats how it goes at least for indian passport. Hope this helps

AOS
Removing Condition
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

Filed: Timeline

No, my point was when you got your citizenship you had to break all ties/allegiances/citizenships with other countries when you accepted the US one.

You cant get a US Passport if you didn't become a citizen of the united states, and to do that you had to renounce other citizenships already. So I don't understand what you are trying to renounce at this point.

NO. You're just confused. The US NEVER asks or expects a person naturalizing to take any action with respect to any of their existing nationalities. Period. From the perspective of the US, other nationalities do not exist and it does not care about them.

Whether a person has another country's nationality is determined by that country's law.

NO. You're just confused. The US NEVER asks or expects a person naturalizing to take any action with respect to any of their existing nationalities. Period. From the perspective of the US, other nationalities do not exist and it does not care about them.

Whether a person has another country's nationality is determined by that country's law.

Hmmmm. That's funny since in the oath you renounce your ties to foreign lands: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test/naturalization-oath-allegiance-united-states-america

"2. Renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen;"

You are allowed to have dual citizenship for certain countries that the US recognizes, but you have to reapply to become a dual citizen with that country after accepting US Citizenship technically.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I would be obtaining my US passport verysoon. So I wanted to get some info on Renunciation & Visa

a) Where is best to apply for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship ? CKGS or Travisa ?

b) I learnt that tourist visa is cheaper and faster than PIO/OCI ... Is that true ?

Thanks a lot for all the help

I'm hoping another Indian member can see your post and give you a detailed answer, and soon.

You've just gotten a lot of side-chatter, folk not understanding what you're wanting to do..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I'm hoping another Indian member can see your post and give you a detailed answer, and soon.

You've just gotten a lot of side-chatter, folk not understanding what you're wanting to do..

Apologies, you are right this isn't contributing much to OP original questions.

Filed: Timeline

Hmmmm. That's funny since in the oath you renounce your ties to foreign lands: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test/naturalization-oath-allegiance-united-states-america

"2. Renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen;"

You are allowed to have dual citizenship for certain countries that the US recognizes, but you have to reapply to become a dual citizen with that country after accepting US Citizenship technically.

Nope. Notice that nothing in that says "citizenship" or "nationality".

Whether you have a country's nationality is determined by that country's law. What you say or do in the US has no effect on another country's nationality except as provided by that country's law. The US (or any other country) has nothing to do with it (and cannot have anything to do with it). You don't "lose" anything, and don't need to "reapply" for anything, unless that country says so. It's that simple. This is well known. There is nothing "technical" about it.

Nope. Notice that nothing in that says "citizenship" or "nationality".

Whether you have a country's nationality is determined by that country's law. What you say or do in the US has no effect on another country's nationality except as provided by that country's law. The US (or any other country) has nothing to do with it (and cannot have anything to do with it). You don't "lose" anything, and don't need to "reapply" for anything, unless that country says so. It's that simple. This is well known. There is nothing "technical" about it.

Alright alright, can we figure out how to answer the questions that the OP asked now?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sure !

Step 1 - Find Indian Aunty !

Step 2 - Buy Indian Aunty nice chai with milk

Step 3 - Ask Indian Aunty about her recent USA citizenship process and the stuff she did to get or maintain PR/I.

But Step 1 is crucial ! :D

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here are the facts:
* The Indian constitution does not allow or recognize “dual citizenship”.
* The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) scheme does not get you “dual citizenship”.
* The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) scheme does not give you “Indian passport”.

Automatic loss of Indian citizenship covered in Section 9(1) of theCitizenship act 1955, provides that any citizen of India who by naturalisation or registration acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India.” This means you have to give up Indian passport and citizenship to the nearest Indian embassy, should you become citizen of foreign country. A seal is affixed at the back of passport mentioning it is a punishable offence under Indian Passports Act of 1957, of any possession of indian passport, should the passport holder acquires nationality of another country..

-The Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) scheme was introduced by Indian Govt in 2005, to encourage Indians who have gained citizenships abroad in terms of easing travel restrictions and aid the economic development of India. This scheme is just like“Permanent Residence” or "Green Card "given in India.

If you are already a Person of Indian origin (POI) and have taken up citizenship abroad, you can take up benefits of OCI scheme, which gives you same travel and residence privileges like other Indians, but you are not allowed to vote and take up jobs in Government sector. You will also be free from reporting requirements to police regarding the length of your stay. . With that being said, you are eligible to apply for Indian citizenship if you have acquired OCI for 5 years and you have legally resided in India atleast for a year.

K1 Visa Journey

Event Date
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
Consulate: Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent: 2012-12-27
I-129F NOA1: 2013-01-17
I-129F RFE(s): 2013-05-31
RFE Reply(s): 2013-06-04
I-129F NOA2: 2013-12-19

Consulate Received: 2014-04-17
Packet 3 Received: 2014-06-13
Packet 3 Sent: 2014-06-17
Packet 4 Received: 2014-08-27
Interview Date: 2014-10-24

Interview Result: Administrative Review
Second Interview
(If Required): No
Approved: 2014-07-17
Visa in hand: 2014-07-21

Adjustment of Status

Event Date
CIS Office: Chicago Lockbox/Tampa FL
Date Filed: 2015-12-07
NOA Date: 2015-12-16
NOA Hardcopy: 2015-12-21
RFE(s):
Bio. Appt.:
AOS Transfer**:
Interview Date:
Approval / Denial Date:
Approved:
Got I551 Stamp:
Green card Received:
Comments: Angry white men be like

xfarp.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

this is 100% WRONG. The US does NOT ask you to give up other citizenships to become a citizen here. Have you never heard of dual citizenship? If you do not know the answer to a question do not guess, refrain from answering at all because it causes confusion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.